Dirty Girl Mud Run

by Meghann on February 10, 2013

A couple of months ago the Dirty Girl Mud Run series reached out to the Tampa Bay Lady Bloggers with one question: Were we ready to get dirty?!?!

Did they even have to ask? Heck yeah, we were!

Thus team “Dirty Bloggers” was formed.

P2090077.JPG

Left to right: Genna, Mary, me, Jackie, Caroline, Jessica, Jenny, Nicole, Denise, Margarita, and Raffi

Major props to Raffi and BondiBands for the official “Dirty Blogger” headbands. Bloggers like to get dirty, yo!

dirtyblogger.jpg

From the Dirty Girl website:

Dirty Girl is a 5k mud run for women of all ages and athletic abilities. Don’t worry, it’s not a “race” in the traditional sense.

It is an untimed obstacle course designed to push you slightly out of your comfort zone, but only as far as you are comfortable going. Forming teams is encouraged, and so is helping your fellow Dirty Girls get through to the finish. At a Dirty Girl Mud Run you’ll find excitement, laughter, and camaraderie—as well as lots of music and even some adult beverages. It’s a day you’ll never forget.

Yes, the Pretty Muddy run we did in November was a very similar mud run concept. So similar in fact that the two races were even at the same location: Little Everglades Ranch. One of the reasons I was so excited to do Dirty Girl was because I had so much fun at Pretty Muddy (getting muddy with a group of girlfriends = my idea of a good time!) and since they’re both national race organizations, I wanted to see how the two races compared with each other.

I hate to say it because I know half of the country has been covered in snow this weekend, but the weather in Florida has been amazing lately. This morning we had a picture perfect day for a mud run – clear blue skies and slightly cool temps.

P2090072.JPG

We arrived about 20 minutes before our wave (which was the first of the day) and had no problems with check in or gear check. Everything went really smoothly in obtaining our bibs, shirt, and dirty girl necklaces. There were no lines for anything and our “Dirty Blogger” teammates were easy to spot in the minimal crowds.

P2090073.JPG

For any other race, I’m usually not fan of gear check. I usually try to carry what I can so I don’t have to worry about the crowds with getting my bag afterwards. However, for a mud run, gear checking is essential. When you get that dirty in race – and your car is that far way – you want you towel and change of clothes as close as possible. We learned our lesson last time when we didn’t bring a change of clothes with us and ended up walking back with just a towel arounds our waists (sans pants) to retrieve them.

P2090075.JPG

The classic “before” photo.

P2090082.jpg

Tutus and mud runs rock! This was the tutu I made for my Belle costume last February for the Princess Half. Umm.. yeah.. not my best work, can’t say I was that upset about destroying it. 😉

P2090088.JPG

Just before 8:00 we were heading to the start line, ready to get dirty.

P2090084.JPG

First they pumped the crowd up with a little Zumba dancing

P2090096.JPG

P2090100.JPG

Then it was time to run!

P2090103.JPG

Blast off!

P2090104.JPG

P2090107.JPG

Our first obstacle was an inflatable bumper slide of sorts.

P2090111.JPG

P2090113.JPG

It was a lot harder to climb than it looked. One bumper would grow as another deflated due to a person’s body weight. It took Mary and I a good minute to figure out a system of going up as a team and were able to balance the bumpers out.

P2090116.JPG

Once we got to the top, the girl slightly ahead us did an accidental front flip and proceeded to roll down the rest of the inflatable slide. She was laughing the whole way down. Her method looked like fun, but the rest of us took the slide-on-the-butt approach.

P2090122.JPG

P2090128.JPG

The course was really well marked. Every bit of it had branded pink “Dirty Girl” caution tape guiding the way.

P2090134.JPG

The first mud-based obstacle came next.

P2090137.JPG

Starting us off light – just your average walk in the mud.

P2090139.JPG

Then a quick clean-up in “H2OMG”

P2090146.JPG

P2090147.JPG

P2090149.JPG

P2090151.JPG

P2090155.JPG

P2090159.JPG

P2090161.JPG

P2090163.JPG P2090164.jpg

The slide gets an “A” for effort, but the blue bumper prevented everyone from sliding directly into the mud. I plopped down for a photo opt, otherwise I could have walked through without getting terribly muddy.

P2090165.JPG

P2090170.JPG

The 5k course had two water stations with plenty of water at each of them and friendly volunteers who served up the cups.

P2090177.JPG

P2090178.JPG

We took our time between obstacles and just had fun laughing and goofing off.

P2090180.JPG

P2090181.JPG

Mary was giddy as a school girl when we approached the big mud put with a net on top. Finally! An obstacle that really gets you muddy.

P2090187.JPG

muuuuddddd

P2090190.JPG

P2090197.JPG

I told you bloggers like to get dirty!

P2090202.JPG

The first half of the race took you through the wooded area of the ranch, while the second brought you through an open field where you basically zig zagged the rest of the race. It was kind of nice seeing what was coming up, but also not-so-nice since it took a little bit of the surprise out of it too.

P2090207.JPG

P2090211.JPG

P2090212.jpg P2090213.jpg

P2090224.JPG

P2090225.JPG

P2090229.JPG

P2090233.JPG

P2090236.jpg P2090237.jpg

P2090243.JPG

P2090250.JPG

P2090251.JPG

P2090252.JPG

P2090258.JPG

The “Funky Monkey” was probably our least favorite obstacle.

P2090261.JPG

There was just no easy way to do it. Crawling on all fours hurt your knees and sliding on your butt just took forever.

P2090262.JPG P2090263.JPG

P2090273.JPG

P2090280.JPG

Look, I’m a Dirty Girl!

P2090284.JPG

P2090285.jpg P2090287.jpg

And for the grand finale…

P2090290.JPG

There were girls that were lightly running through the final mud pit, but I told Mary, no way! We came here to get dirty and we were going to dirty it up before the cameras.

P2090293.JPG

So we went swimming in the mud

P2090294.JPG

Came out covered from head to toe

P2090296.JPG

And danced our way through the finish line.

P2090297.JPG

Three cheers to getting dirty!

P2090302.jpg P2090303.jpg

And we can’t forget the final big group “after” shot! Team “Dirty Bloggers” for the win!

P2090305.JPG

The post-race changing area was really nice. They had a large private tent set-up with hoses inside so women could hose off and change in private.

P2090319.JPG

P2090318.JPG

After the race they had a booth set up for shoe donations.

P2090321.JPG

P2090330.JPG

I hope my old Mizunos find a good home!

P2090326.jpg P2090327.jpg

Final thoughts:

I thought Dirty Girl did a great job with the branding of this race (pink. everywhere. LOVE it.). Dirty Girl is marketed as an all-girl mud run, that’s just supposed to be a fun outing with the girls – plain and simple. There’s no pressure to go all out and they even remind you on the course that’s it’s okay to go around the obstacles if it’s too much. Dirty Girl’s goal is to take the fear of racing out of the competitors and just show them a good time. My group walked, laugh, and didn’t have even the faintest of a clue of where we were with time, nor did we care what our time was.

However, I have to say I was slightly disappointed by Dirty Girl’s obstacles. Maybe it’s because I just did Pretty Muddy on the same property, but if I were comparing the two I would say Pretty Muddy takes the prize for the obstacles. I thought there were more chances to get muddy on the Pretty Muddy course and the actual layout of the course just made more sense (for Dirty Girl you spent too much time in the open field). Plus, I thought the Dirty Girl course felt a little short in the end.

One last note, the course today was covered in horse poop. We joked it as our “extra” obstacle to dodge the piles of poop between the real obstacles. None of us remembered having the same problem during Pretty Muddy (maybe they cleaned it up before Pretty Muddy and forgot here? Who knows), but it was definitely noticeable today.

P2090323.JPG

We all still had a blast! You seriously can not go wrong with a big group of girlfriends who are just out there to have fun. Not only were we having a good time, but we were moving and staying active. There was even a girl who ran with us who had never done any sort of “race” before and finished with the biggest smile on her face. You don’t have to be a big athlete to do a Dirty Girl mud run, you just have to be willing to get out there and do it.

Thank you, Dirty Girl, for showing the Tampa Bay Lady Bloggers a great time!

We saw some pretty creative team names and costumes on the course today. If you were forming an all-girl mud run team, what would you call yourselves? What about costumes?

Full disclosure: Dirty Girl contacted the Tampa Bay Lady Bloggers a couple of months ago offering free race registrations to interested bloggers. Though my race entry was comped, all opinions are my own.

1 bridget February 10, 2013 at 9:18 am

Wow. That’s a lot of pictures of one day.

2 Katie @ Talk Less, Say More February 10, 2013 at 9:52 am

It was the “dirty” race – the horse poop was just another obstacle!
Katie @ Talk Less, Say More recently posted..Sunday Confessional

3 Anne @ eatcleaneatreal February 10, 2013 at 9:55 am

That looks SO fun. Ive always wanted to do a mud run, but its never worked out. Its a goal of my this spring….waaaaaaaay too cold in northwestern PA to do this anytime soon!
Anne @ eatcleaneatreal recently posted..Day 16: Homemade yogurt in the crockpot!

4 Katie @ Peace Love & Oats February 10, 2013 at 9:59 am

This race sounds so fun! I’m hoping to do the Pretty Muddy here in Chicago (I’m an ambassador) but I might move before the race in September. My friend, and fellow Chicago blogger, already started up a team and named us Dumbledore’s Army… we’re big Harry Potter fans.
Katie @ Peace Love & Oats recently posted..Weekly Workouts

5 Amber @ Busy, Bold, Blessed February 10, 2013 at 10:41 am

Looks like a blast! Did you have a photographer follow you guys? I would’ve been scared to get my phone/camera anywhere near those obstacles.
Amber @ Busy, Bold, Blessed recently posted..Grains, what’s the big deal anyway?

6 Meghann February 10, 2013 at 1:12 pm

No photographer photos here – I carried my Olympus Tough TG-1 on the course. It’s a waterproof camera that I bought back in October and love. Here’s my review of the camera: http://mealsandmiles.com/2012/11/14/the-camera-behind-those-awesome-muddy-photos/

7 Sara @ Fitcupcaker February 10, 2013 at 10:45 am

How awesome. This looks so fun. I want to do it!!
Sara @ Fitcupcaker recently posted..Feb 10th Weekly Meal and Fitness Plan

8 Elizabeth- My Neon Running Shoes February 10, 2013 at 10:49 am

Looks like a great run! Glad you had fun!
Elizabeth- My Neon Running Shoes recently posted..A slow form of torture.

9 Madi February 10, 2013 at 11:45 am

I want to do another mud run SO badly! they are sooooo much fun! what kind of shoes do you wear? i tried the running shoe route and that didn’t work, then i tried water shoes, also not the best idea…
Madi recently posted..Love List

10 Meghann February 10, 2013 at 1:20 pm

Hi Madi, this was third mud run in my old Mizunos. They’re a pair of running shoes I retired last spring, but have managed to get a few mud runs out of before I donated them yesterday. After the other two mud runs I simply put them through the wash and they were fine, I even wrote a post about it here: http://mealsandmiles.com/2012/11/19/chili-cheese-sweet-potato-fries/. I’ve also done mud runs in a cheap pair of shoes, which was a terrible idea. I ended up tossing the shoes halfway through and finishing the race barefoot. See here: http://mealsandmiles.com/2011/08/27/savage-race/. What problems did you have with the running shoes?

11 Madi February 10, 2013 at 2:52 pm

well, the race i did had a ton of mud pits, so my shoes got really heavy and filled with pebbles. I know a lot of people will duck tape their shoes, but i feel like that would possibly be painful especially for longer distances. did you ever have that problem?

12 Katie February 10, 2013 at 12:58 pm

Again, you don’t say anything about whether or not you were provided with a free race entry or compensated for this post. You reference the ‘Pretty Muddy’ race several times with no mention of being provided an entry to that race.
It’s not possible to accurately judge your review of the race, and the comparison between the two, without this information. Not only is the lack of this disclosure bad practice, it’s illegal.

13 Meghann February 10, 2013 at 1:15 pm

Hi Katie, I’m so sorry for not being clearer that the race was comped. I went ahead and added a full disclosure to the bottom of the post just to make it more clear. You will also notice that I linked back to my original Pretty Muddy post where I did provide a full disclosure that they comped my race entry as well. Though both races were comped through the Tampa Bay Lady Bloggers, all opinions are my own.

14 Lauren February 10, 2013 at 1:02 pm

I’m so over these mud runs. I did the Warrior Dash in 2011 and Tough Mudder in 2012, and they are just so expensive, and people only use them as an excuse to post “badass” pictures on Facebook and make them look like they’re having omgsomuchfun. I’m also incredibly tired of these pink + inspirational quotes + friendships =yay women overpriced races.

Also, after Tough Mudder, I was sick for 6 weeks and my cousin got MRSA. So never again.

15 Erika W February 10, 2013 at 1:17 pm

It doesn’t look like there were too many participants. It looks sparse in the photos. Give me a good old fashion 5k where I can bust my butt for a PR any day. I agree that these mud runs are gimmicky and overdone. No thanks.

16 Meghann February 10, 2013 at 1:26 pm

There were dozens of waves during the day and we were the very first. As we were leaving more people were coming in and the crowds were growing. We took the first wave to avoid the huge crowds. I agree that there’s nothing quite like busting your butt for a 5k PR, but sometimes it’s just fun to have a silly race with your girlfriends. I think both type of races have their own place in the running world and not every type of race is for everyone. That’s the beauty about running or staying active – everyone has the option to do their own thing!

17 Nicole @ HealthyGirlAdventures February 10, 2013 at 3:03 pm

I had fun with you and all of the blogger girls! You guys really kept me on my toes and I liked that. We all laughed and had such a great time together. I’m a beginner runner so I’m still building my endurance. I still walk/run….however to keep you with girls I had to run more than I was used to. I am glad I did that- thanks to all of the bloggers for pushing me through. Now when I go one runs I know I can run longer. 🙂

Though I have to admit I was embarrassed that I skipped out on the tunnel obstacle because I am claustrophobic. But I like that Mary said just skip who cares. That made me feel better.

Can’t wait to do some more races with you and the rest of the girls. 🙂

PS- I loved your sunglasses and yellow tutu.
Nicole @ HealthyGirlAdventures recently posted..Best Damn Race Recap

18 Karen February 10, 2013 at 3:41 pm

Reading this post this morning got me to get together a team of ladies for the Boston run! We can’t wait, watch out for us, Mud Slick Chicks!!

19 Steph February 10, 2013 at 4:19 pm

The 9:30 wave was PACKED! I had such a great time! Looks like you guys did too! 😀
Steph recently posted..Friday Five: Awesome edition

20 Karen @ Runner Girl Eats February 10, 2013 at 5:56 pm

It looks like you guys had a great time! I am not a fan of the mud runs (they seem too gimmicky) but can def see how they coudl be a fun time.
Karen @ Runner Girl Eats recently posted..St. Marks Bike Ride

21 Meredith @ The Coupon Bride February 10, 2013 at 8:06 pm

My fiance has been dying to do a mud run and I’ve been pretty apprehensive up til now, but this looks like it was a total blast! Perhaps I’ll reconsider…
Meredith @ The Coupon Bride recently posted..DIY Diaries: Garden-themed welcome bags

22 Diana @ Twenty One(derful) February 10, 2013 at 9:23 pm

That looks like so much fun. Makes me wish we had warmer weather!

23 Sonia the Mexigarian February 11, 2013 at 12:19 pm

I have been curious about doing a Mud Run and every time I look into one near me, it’s always on a weekend I’m busy 🙁 They look like a fun time, nothing to be taken seriously, but enjoying the company of friends and getting dirty. I like getting dirty. I need to do one of these runs!
Sonia the Mexigarian recently posted..Searching for the motivation. . .

24 Bridget February 12, 2013 at 9:19 pm

I am in a few of your pictures and we had no picture taker with us. I am wearing a long sleeve green shirt. There are two of us in green shirts (I have a pony tail) Would you mind emailing me couple to me? I would greatly appreciate it!

25 Meghann February 12, 2013 at 9:38 pm
26 Angela February 13, 2013 at 1:53 am

Ick. Horse poop!! Besides that it looks so fun!
Angela recently posted..On Being An Encourager

27 Carlee February 13, 2013 at 3:06 pm

Thank you so much for posting this! My roommate and I have a group of students, faculty, and staff participating in the Go Dirty mud run in Memphis, TN in March and this really helped give us an idea of waht we are getting ourselves into. We’re the Wise Women Gone Wild and we’re so excited to aprticipate!

28 Jayson Lecuyer February 21, 2013 at 10:24 am

This looks like a ton of fun. Awesome job!!! Love the amazing pictures. Keep up the great work.

J