more ยป" />

Wedding: Portraits

by Meghann on February 7, 2013

See also:

Our plan for the portraits:

• photos with bridal party and family before the ceremony
  • photos of just bride and groom afterwards

This plan had worked well at my sister’s wedding last summer. In theory we would get the photos with the bridal party/family out of the way before hand so we weren’t rushing through photos after the wedding. Plus, if would give Derek and I a chance to take in our first moments as husband and wife alone (minus our photographer).

It sounds good in theory, but I learned that whenever you take your photos, you’re going to feel rushed. Instead of rushing to take the group photos before cocktail hour ended, we were rushing to take them before the ceremony started. My advice for future brides: ALWAYS add at least 30-45 minutes more to the timeline then you think you’ll need for photos. Looking back, I would have tacked on the extra time because we definitely needed it.

Luckily, we were able to squeeze all the group photos in before the ceremony and it was just Derek and I after. I can not recommend enough the solo session right after the ceremony. Derek and I were literally on cloud 9 the entire time and I LOVE how goofy and in love we look in all the photos. Spending that first hour as husband and wife away from everyone was perfect. perfect. perfect. perfect.

Here are a few of my favorite shots from our portrait sessions.

MeghannDerek0337.jpg

MeghannDerek0601.jpg

MeghannDerek0611.jpg MeghannDerek0608.jpg

MeghannDerek0617.jpg

MeghannDerek0642.jpg

MeghannDerek0645_2.jpg

MeghannDerek0657.jpg

How did you time the group portraits for your wedding?

Photo credits: Andrea Hubbell Photography

1 Alicia February 7, 2013 at 1:26 pm

Gorgeous!!!
Alicia recently posted..Life Lately

2 Heather February 7, 2013 at 3:20 pm

agreed. so many I would mark as “favorite!” Also – love the advice about time! great thoughts, there.
Heather recently posted..Twosday XXVII

3 Alison February 7, 2013 at 1:46 pm

I’ve worked in the event industry for a long time and one of the best tips my photographer friends have given me is to have a few portable clothing steamers available before/during an important photo session. I’m probably a little OCD about these things, but those are some of the most wrinkled suits I have ever seen!

4 Meghann February 7, 2013 at 1:57 pm

I think it’s the khaki color that allows the wrinkles to shine through a little more. It honestly wasn’t something either of us noticed until we looked at the photos later. All the suits were pressed before hand but, like I said, I think the khaki was just prone to wrinkling. We still treasure the photos and the memories. ๐Ÿ™‚

5 Whitney February 7, 2013 at 9:23 pm

If you don’t have anything nice to say….really though why bring up only a negative comment? She is sharing one of he happiest days in her life with us, who honestly focuses on the wrinkles… Sorry that comment just got to me!

6 Kell February 7, 2013 at 9:36 pm

Honestly, I had to go back and look for the “wrinkles”. I was too busy focused on their smiles. I still don’t see the need for a steamer. Other people aren’t happy until their making someone else feel bad. Luckily, Meghann seems to have some pretty thick skin, and a more real perspective on what matters in life. Beautiful photos of what looks like a perfect day!

7 Alison February 7, 2013 at 11:49 pm

Some people are really detail-oriented and some people aren’t, no big deal. Truly, it was the first thing I noticed and just my honest reaction…I brought it up because thought it would be helpful. Meghann was pointing out some things she’d have done differently and it seems other commenters are planning their own weddings. Maybe a few people will read this and think, hey, maybe I should bring a steamer or two when I’m ready to take those super important pictures.

Again, I may be a little OCD but the idea that there are no wrinkles…I mean, come on! It can still be a lovely and perfect day but no need to pretend there weren’t a couple of flaws.

8 Angela February 7, 2013 at 1:47 pm

Gorgeous! I love that second to last one of you! I think that’s very true, you always feel rushed after your wedding because 1-you just got married and you are so jazzed on life and 2-you know there are a ton of your family and friends to socialize and have fun with! Such an amazing time though to spend as your first moments as husband and wife.
Angela recently posted..Throwback Thursday {take five}

9 Madi February 7, 2013 at 1:57 pm

These are all beautiful! but the ones of you in the grass are exceptionally stunning! P.S. if I ever get married I’m stealing the cowboy boot idea! genius, fun, and it just is such an awesome look! love it all!
Madi recently posted..Rocking Wall Sits

10 Meghann February 7, 2013 at 2:01 pm

Yes! Cowboy boots are AWESOME. Best decision I’ve ever made for my feet at a wedding.

11 Maureen February 7, 2013 at 2:00 pm

Love ALL of these!! ๐Ÿ™‚
Maureen recently posted..Waving The White Flag

12 melissa (fitnessnycblog) February 7, 2013 at 3:14 pm

How much time did you give photos? I am going to need this info ๐Ÿ™‚ great tip.
melissa (fitnessnycblog) recently posted..A Super Weekend!

13 Meghann February 7, 2013 at 3:39 pm

We had an hour, but I wish we had more. ๐Ÿ™‚

14 Lauren February 7, 2013 at 4:01 pm

These are so wonderful!

15 Lauren @ Eat Like An Elephant February 7, 2013 at 4:12 pm

We had an 11 am ceremony so aside from the photos of me getting ready at my parent’s house and the photos of me with my immediate family, we had to do all the group shots and shots of the two of us in between the ceremony and the reception (from about 11:45 am-2pm, with a 20 minute drive to the venue in there as well). It wasn’t a ton of time, and I do wish we had a few more photos of just the two of us (this was partly my fault, I told my photographer I didn’t want to do a ton of group photos in the hopes of avoiding this problem, but I think she went on autopilot and me, being the bride and all swept up in everything else, didn’t really realize this until I got my pictures back). But the photos we do have I love, so I really can’t complain. ๐Ÿ™‚
Lauren @ Eat Like An Elephant recently posted..Cooking Healthy (And Gluten Free) For A Family

16 Clare @ Fitting It All In February 7, 2013 at 4:12 pm

I LOVE LOVE the one of you leaning back on the ground looking up. So beautiful!

17 Heather February 7, 2013 at 4:55 pm

I love the second picture with you and your parents! They are all awesome, actually.

Heads up for brides – have a “wedding plan” for pictures. We didn’t really have a plan about where to take pictures, so we ended up taking them inside my parents house and inside the reception venue. I wish I had thought about it ahead of time a bit more.

18 Jessica February 7, 2013 at 4:59 pm

First time commenter, long time follower. The pictures are simply stunning. “Wrinkles” (hardly HARDLY noticeable) and all. You should treasure every single picture!

19 Lucy February 7, 2013 at 5:33 pm

I love how many of these photos you are laughing in. Wedding photos can seem so serious sometimes.

20 Pam February 7, 2013 at 8:36 pm

Love them all! You all look great – I especially love the tractor one with you and Derek and the one of the entire wedding party. Also love that both the dad’s wore suits to match the groom/groomsmen too, very sweet.

21 Katie @ Talk Less, Say More February 7, 2013 at 8:40 pm

Beautiful photos!!

22 BroccoliHut February 7, 2013 at 8:53 pm

Absolutely beautiful! I love the overhead shots of you on the ground. Great perspective and so lovely.
We did all our pictures before the ceremony with tentative plans for a few bride and groom shots in the garden after the ceremony. As it turned out, the daylight was pretty much gone by the time the ceremony ended, so the photographer decided that we should just skip it and head to the reception.
We started taking pictures about 3 and a half hours before the ceremony–my cheeks were so tired of smiling by the end!
BroccoliHut recently posted..WIAW

23 Kate @ Quarter Century Southern Living February 7, 2013 at 9:09 pm

These are absolutely AMAZING! I love the one of y’all in front of the tractor!!
Kate @ Quarter Century Southern Living recently posted..A Look at Painters with Portfolios

24 kristin miller February 7, 2013 at 9:54 pm

Oh my gosh those are beautiful! Wow! I love the use of the farm items! Ours was about 30-40 minutes; we were running late because of snow, despite it being a beautiful backdrop! I wish we had more too…there was a red barn I REALLY wanted to go to, but we never would’ve made it back up the hill with all the snow!

25 Karen February 7, 2013 at 10:16 pm

Aw so pretty!! Love all of them.

26 Theodora February 7, 2013 at 10:56 pm

I <3 the laughing one!

27 kirsten February 7, 2013 at 11:13 pm

Great pictures, you guys are glowing!!

28 Amber @ Busy, Bold, Blessed February 9, 2013 at 9:33 pm

These pictures are great! I love how HAPPY you look ๐Ÿ˜€
Amber @ Busy, Bold, Blessed recently posted..Grains, whatโ€™s the big deal anyway?

29 Candice February 10, 2013 at 9:54 pm

They turned out gorgeous. I showed Aunty Evelyn and she love looking at all the beautiful pics of the stunning Bride and Groom. What a beautiful couple you make. May your marriage be as amazing as your wedding day ๐Ÿ™‚

30 Meghann February 11, 2013 at 10:31 am

Thank you, Candice. ๐Ÿ™‚

31 Caitlin February 11, 2013 at 4:55 pm

I love that you made that one photo of you your default on FB but the picture of you looking down and blushing, just SOOO humble and pretty and dainty and a gorgeous pic! I love the one with Derek showing off his socks too. That is so something my dad would’ve done when he got married, Vols socks, I wonder why he didn’t ha! I can’t get enough of your wedding photos, thanks so much for sharing ๐Ÿ™‚
Caitlin recently posted..Millwrightโ€™s Tavern Tuesdays!

32 Sharna December 1, 2013 at 9:41 pm

Can I please ask what flowers are in your bouquet? It is beautiful!