Wedding: The Details

by Meghann on February 6, 2013

When Derek and I booked our wedding venue, Birdsong Barn, it was a mess. The tables were uncovered, the chairs were scattered, there were minimal decorations, and none of the twinkle lights were on. It was a disorganized barn, plain and simple.

But we looked passed that and saw the potential. There was a beautiful wedding venue there, somewhere, and though it would take some work to bring it out, we knew it would be worth it.

So we booked the venue and started planning. I became a Pinterest addict and started obsessively following Birdsong Barn’s Facebook page for inspiration. Slowly, I developed this crazy vision of what our “rustic snowflake” wedding should look like and I’m pretty sure I was the only one who saw it. My ideas were questioned (over and over again), but I stuck to my guns and I’m so glad I did. To all future brides out there, don’t let anyone ever talk you out of your vision! It’s YOUR wedding day, not theirs, and you’ll be so happy you stuck with your original plans.

With the help of our amazing family and friends (and Luanne from Birdsong Barn <– who is AMAZING by the way), Derek and I made that crazy “rustic snowflake” idea a reality and that once “disorganized barn” became the coziest wedding reception site we could have ever asked for. I can’t tell you how many compliments we received about our venue. It really was a beautiful site.

I may have planned out all the details for the reception, but it truly was our amazing family and Luanne who pulled it all together. While I was getting my hair and make-up done the morning of the wedding, they were setting the site up and I owe them more than they’ll ever know.

Here are a few of my favorite detail shots of how everything came out:

MeghannDerek0747.jpg

There was a bench by the entrance of the barn that my aunt draped with the snowflake quilt that was a gift from a family friend at my bridal shower, a snowflake pillow my aunt made herself out of burlap, and a navy blue D & M we had spray painted ourselves. The “…and they loved” sign and antique jug were Birdsong’s.

MeghannDerek0668.jpg

The Tuesday before the wedding I asked my parents if they would help me make a couple of chalkboard wedding programs for the wedding. My dad had some spare wood in the garage that my mom painted with chalkboard paint. Once the chalkboard was dry, my dad made the frame using crown molding he bought from Lowes and spray painted a pretty metallic color.

MeghannDerek0723.jpg

The night before the ceremony my bridesmaid, Ashley, wrote out the the ceremony timeline on one chalkboard and the wedding party on the other. She used a chalk paint marker to write the words and we used snowflake stamps dipped in chalk for the snowflakes. We actually found the best approach for getting the snowflakes just right was rubbing the oversized stamps on the giant circular hand chalk my parents have by their pool table. It was my mom’s idea and it worked like a charm.

weddingprogramchalkboard.jpg chalkboardweddingprogram2.jpg

(close-ups courtesy of Mary and Anne)

The wedding alter came with the venue. My aunt draped it with burlap and added the baby’s breath (the chandelier was already there). She also added the “flocked trees” for a snowy effect. The “trees” were branches my dad had cut and flocked with snow-in-a-can, then put in buckets.

DSC01598.JPG

For the aisle decorations, we filled mason jars with baby’s breath that hung from shepard hooks (which were also borrowed from the venue).

flowers in a jar.jpg

MeghannDerek0724.jpg

One of the things I loved about Birdsong Barn was the “treasure trove” of decorations we had access to. Luanne had a whole garage of supplies that we could borrow from. Like this beautiful antique desk that stood at the entrance way.

MeghannDerek0689.jpg

On the desk were the prints I bought in Boston over the summer and framed with Ikea frames, our scrapbook guestbook (which was a hit, by the way), and a snowflake “welcome” sign I found at Joanne’s for 75% off the week after christmas.

MeghannDerek0691.jpg

Next to the sign-in table, was the gift and escort card table.

MeghannDerek0696.jpg

The “cards” suitcase was another thing that belonged to the venue. Thank goodness, too, because I totally forgot to get one before hand.

MeghannDerek0694.jpg

and across was the sparkler send-off table.

MeghannDerek0697.jpg

Now let’s look at the tables.

MeghannDerek0728.jpg

The table cloths and burlap runners all belonged to the venue (and were included in the original price, not extra – yay!). The champagne glasses and silverware were the caterer’s (also not extra – yay!).

MeghannDerek0698.jpg

I had some fun the day after Christmas going from Target to Target collecting various discounted snowflake decorations for the wedding. One of the things I found were the snowflake place holders for our table numbers. I ended up with 20 of them of all different colors.

MeghannDerek0702.jpg

The mason jars were all courtesy of my aunts, who were hot gluing burlap, snowflake ribbons, and ornaments the day before. Have I mentioned how grateful I am for each and every member of my family? Seriously. We collected mason jars for months leading up the wedding and then borrowed some from Luanne to fill in the gaps the day of. No two mason jars were decorated exactly alike, just like no two snowflakes are ever exactly alike. 🙂

The jars were also filled with rock salt and clear glitter; and battery operated candles were placed in the center to resemble glowing snow once it grew dark.

MeghannDerek0670.jpg

Every table also had out “I Spy” games for our guests to play through the evening.

MeghannDerek0700.jpg

Here’s the sweetheart table. Please note the space heater to the left of the table that was there “just in case” but was never used.

MeghannDerek0729.jpg

The “Mr.” and “Mrs.” chairs belonged the the venue and Luanne personalizes the window panes behind the sweetheart table for every wedding.

MeghannDerek0705.jpg

My FAVORITE table – the desert table!

MeghannDerek0744.jpg

Everything on this table was a HIT. My two cousins, Angela and Christina, baked a variety of beautifully decorated cupcakes for the occasion as their wedding gift for Derek and me. I’m sad I never had a chance to try one – they were gone before the night was over (I’ll take that as a good sign that everyone loved them). Also on display below you’ll see the congo bars my Aunt Carol made and a blueberry pie my mother-in-law made as the groom’s cake (it’s Derek’s favorite dessert in the whole wide world and I wanted to surprise him with it).

MeghannDerek0707.jpg MeghannDerek0712.jpg

Coooookkkkkiiiieeesss!!!! Look! I got my cookies in a basket (thanks, Grandma, for letting me borrow them!

MeghannDerek0710.jpg

The cookies were also a hit. We set out to-go bags so guests could take a cookie home as their favor, but I think the majority of folks ate them on site. We had 150 guests, 175 cookies, and by the end of the night all that was left was a handful of broken cookies, that’s it. Everyone loved them! By the way, the cookies were from Sunrise Bakery in Titusville and if you’re ever in Titusville, please stop in and have one of their cookies. They’re freakin’ unbelievable.

MeghannDerek0745.jpg

My uncle really outdid himself on the cake. I started to tear up the first time I saw it, it was so beautiful.

MeghannDerek0718.jpg

My uncle is not a professional by any means. Cake decorating is merely a favorite a hobby of his and the wedding cake was our wedding gift from him. We had talked on and off about what the cake should be, but mainly I gave him complete creative control. I thought it was going to be two simple cakes, but it ended up being a four tier masterpiece. It was perfect. Perfect. Perfect. Perfect.

MeghannDerek0720.jpg MeghannDerek0706.jpg

The best part was it tasted good, too. Underneath the gorgeous decorations was my grandmother’s famous red velvet recipe and cream cheese icing. I know I’m really bias, but it was the best wedding cake I’ve ever had.

So there you have it. I’m sure I’ll go into more details for the main reception post, but I wanted to share some of the details first.

What was the favorite detail you remember from your wedding? Mine was the cake!

Photo credits: Andrea Hubbell Photography

1 Beth @ Running with the Sunrise February 6, 2013 at 3:46 pm

These are all gorgeous! Your venue looked amazing. This makes me wish I were getting married in the summer so I could have an outdoor reception. Something tells me my guests wouldn’t want to party in an open air pavillion in November in Illinois. 🙂
Beth @ Running with the Sunrise recently posted..February Goals

2 Lindsey February 6, 2013 at 3:46 pm

Your wedding was gorgeous. Looks like its straight out of magazine. No joke! I was all about the details in my wedding too. One thing I wish was that there was Pinterest when we got married! So many ideas on there.
Lindsey recently posted..Weekend Snapshots

3 Heather February 6, 2013 at 4:01 pm

I was thinking the same thing about how I wish there had been pinterest when I got married. I wish there had even been blogs then.

4 Kayla February 6, 2013 at 3:59 pm

I love looking at all of the pictures that you are sharing! It is so great!
Kayla recently posted..Abs by April Challenge

5 Lauren @ Eat Like An Elephant February 6, 2013 at 4:13 pm

“To all future brides out there, don’t let anyone ever talk you out of your vision! ” Great advice!! What a beautiful wedding!
Lauren @ Eat Like An Elephant recently posted..What I Ate Wednesday: Elephant Edition

6 Sue February 6, 2013 at 5:59 pm

GREAT pix and you sure have vision!

7 Crissy M February 6, 2013 at 6:30 pm

For real – your wedding is perfect. Gorgeous. And you and your entire family are a complete inspiration, and so incredible, to have put so much stunning detail together like this! Also your photographer did a great job! All the photos are beautiful.
Crissy M recently posted..“My entire lifetime is just a moment to you;
at best, each of us is but a breath.”

8 Katie @ Peace Love & Oats February 6, 2013 at 6:48 pm

Everything looked beautiful (and delicious!). I know one of my sister-in-law’s favorite things from her wedding was her customized wedding topper (the one from etsy I sent you!), she still has it on a bookshelf in their living room!
Katie @ Peace Love & Oats recently posted..WIAW–Traveling to Chicago

9 stephanie February 6, 2013 at 10:46 pm

I’ve been following your blog for awhile now and enjoy the variety of posts, but I admit I’m getting a lot of wedding fatigue. I get that its a big part of your life and I like the idea of recaps, but the level of detail and regularity of these posts is becoming overwhelming for me as a reader. I’m just putting it out there publicly because I’m probably not the only one and I really would like to continue to follow your blog and ironman training!

10 Meghann February 7, 2013 at 8:01 am

Hi Stephanie, That’s why these posts are on the “wedding page” (minus the main recaps that go on the main page). If you’re reading on Google Reader, or another subscription based service, I would suggest ignoring all the posts with “wedding” in the main title. I’m labeling them that way so anyone who doesn’t care about wedding stuff can ignore them. 🙂

11 Melissa February 7, 2013 at 9:30 am

I like reading about your wedding and the details! I love reading about how it all came together. Keep posting more! I actually find this stuff *more* interested than Crossfit or training stuff. But the thing is, I often forget to check the “Wedding” tab so I don’t see these posts until days later. I actually wish it’d all go on the main page.

12 Reenie February 7, 2013 at 2:06 pm

I agree with Melissa…. I absolutely LOVE reading about you and Derek’s wedding Meghann, and love looking at all the photos. It looks absolutely beautiful… you had a great vision, and made it come to life ~ with your wonderful helpers.

BTW ~ I just emailed your blog wedding link to a friend of mine, who is getting married outside this May 😉

13 Reenie February 7, 2013 at 2:08 pm

…”but the level of detail and regularity of these posts”…

And I might add…. that I love the little details that you include. =)

14 Angela February 6, 2013 at 11:33 pm

Wonderful!! You had such great vision and pulled it all together beautifully! Aren’t family members just the best? Little did I know, my family was loading and unloading a U-Haul full of stuff before and after the wedding! They must have been so exhausted. We were so so thankful!

I would love to see some of the things people wrote in your guestbook! I loved the outline of it when you showed us… I would love to see everyone’s creativity! 🙂
Angela recently posted..My 25th Birthday

15 Cher @ Weddicted February 7, 2013 at 8:13 am

I totally agree with you when you say don’t let anyone ruin what you have in mind. We opted to not include jackets with the tux rentals for our groomsmen because 1) it was August and so hot and 2) the girls were wearing mismatched dresses and cowboy boot, so it would have been much too formal. Whenever people asked what the groomsmen were wearing (especially the older ones), they were SO. confused. On our wedding day however, a lot of people commented that although they didn’t think it made sense originally, they couldn’t believe how great the wedding party looked together.
Aside from marrying my husband, lol, my favourite detail of the wedding.. I don’t even know if I could pick one! However, off the top of my head, our M.C. was a good friend and one of the funniest people you’d ever meet and he really made the whole wedding a blast. He even serenaded us with a crazy dance/love song combination lol

Congratultions on your one monthiversary 😉
Cher @ Weddicted recently posted..Wedding flowers: Peonies!

16 Kashi @ Cape Island Runners February 7, 2013 at 2:00 pm

thta really all looks so great! i esp love the dessert table! i want a bite of everything on there, like, now!! awesome.
Kashi @ Cape Island Runners recently posted..What I Saw When I Ran Wednesdays

17 Chapel of the Flowers July 2, 2013 at 6:22 pm

“all you need is love and a dog” Pretty much all I need. I love it. I want that now. I’m really sold on the cake too it looks marvelous.

18 Juan Carlo @ Wedding Catering Services in Manila August 4, 2014 at 1:18 am

Your wedding was gorgeous. Honestly these are my dream wedding ideas and you nailed it. Every details were perfectly matched each other. I love the entire set-up especially the wedding alter. Very creative.

19 Leah January 10, 2016 at 7:38 pm

Hi Meghann, Where did you find that cupcake stand/display? I really love it and would like to use something similar for my wedding. Thank you!

20 Meghann January 11, 2016 at 1:24 pm

It belonged to the venue. Sorry I’m not much help!