The Cupcake Anniversary

by Meghann on February 6, 2013

A Gigi’s Cupcakes recently opened in North Tampa. Though I’ve never been to the sister store in South Tampa, I am a fan of the brand on Facebook and have daily drool sessions over the creative cupcake combinations and mile high stacks of icing they are constantly featuring on their page.

Screen shot 2013-02-06 at 9.24.14 AM.png

I really need to stop following bakeries on Facebook. Every time I scroll through my newsfeed I’m suddenly craving donuts, cupcakes, and bacon lattes (can’t wait to try this at Datz Dough when they finally open!).

Anyway, Derek and I have been meaning to try Gigi’s since they moved to our side of town and what better occasion is there to celebrate a cupcake with than the one month wedding anniversary?

The one month anniversary is the cupcake anniversary, no? If it wasn’t before, it is now! I’m voting we declare the two month, three month, and sixth month anniversaries the cupcake anniversaries as well. mmmkay?

We selected a red velvet cupcake (in honor of our red velvet wedding cake) and a “cookies and milk” cupcake because, well, it looked freakin’ fantastic.

Yes, the cupcakes tasted just as fabulous as they were beautiful. The cake portion of the cupcake was nice and moist and the icing was thick and rich, but not over-the-top sweet – it was a nice balance. Out of the two, the “milk and cookies” was my favorite. The cupcake really did taste like a soft chocolate chip cookie.

We ended up dipping strawberries in the leftover icing we both had on our plates. Waste not, want not – right? Have you ever dipped strawberries in leftover icing before? TRY IT! Trust me, it was perfection. 🙂

After I recovered from my sugar coma, I did make it to CrossFit this morning.

20130206_075750.jpg

My shoulders! They burned after this one!

I think my mind was still scarred from the 5 RM straight presses we did last week. I remember how hard it was to reach that 5RM and knowing I had to repeat the same 5RM today (+2.5lbs) was a complete mental game. I tried, but in the end I couldn’t do it. I think I went too heavy in the warm up and completely bombed when it came time to push it. I couldn’t even hit the same 5 RM from the week before. Part of me was mad because I knew I had just hit it, but the other part knew it wasn’t there today.

From the presses, we went to 3 sets of 5-6 negative pull ups. My shoulders were already screaming after the presses and wanted to kill me after the negative pull ups. I was hoping to RX on the WOD today with 30lb dumbbells, but after the presses and negative pull ups, I couldn’t even clean the 30lb dumbbells in order to push press them up. I ended up with 20lbs and found myself feeling really challenged there.

The whole class was breathing heavy on the floor at the end. We pushed ourselves hard today and had nothing else left in us – we were done.

20130206_075835.jpg

I’m already struggling lifting my arms to do anything. Tomorrow is definitely going to be interesting.

Today’s breakfast: 2 eggs, apple slices, and almond butter.

Maddie says hi.

She is the master of the pillows in this house.

Have a great Wednesday, everyone!

1 Katie @ Peace Love and Oats February 6, 2013 at 9:57 am

Haha I don’t believe I’ve ever had leftover icing, only leftover cake!
Katie @ Peace Love and Oats recently posted..WIAW–Traveling to Chicago

2 Lauren @ Eat Like An Elephant February 6, 2013 at 10:03 am

I couldn’t ever follow bakeries because if I see sweets, I’ll want them! And gluten free bakery cupcakes are hard to come by….But those look amaaaazing. Happy one month 🙂
Lauren @ Eat Like An Elephant recently posted..What I Ate Wednesday: Elephant Edition

3 Katie @ running4cupcakes February 6, 2013 at 10:20 am

it is a good thing that i don’t have a place like that close by. . . but also a bad thing because i want one!!!
Katie @ running4cupcakes recently posted..On the beach

4 TorontoRunner February 6, 2013 at 10:24 am

oh my , those cupcakes look amazing! My favourite thing to watch on the treadmill is baking/cupcake shows (cupcake wars, helloooo!) on the food network – I fall in love with every design!!
TorontoRunner recently posted..13.1 on Treadmill! + I AM 25 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5 Karen @ Runner Girl Eats February 6, 2013 at 11:04 am

I am all for the cupcake anniversary! I think I will make Saturday the 1 week engaged cupcake anniversary…if I can last that long. Those cupcakes are soooo tempting!
Karen @ Runner Girl Eats recently posted..Look homeless, eat rich

6 [email protected] February 6, 2013 at 11:20 am

Dang, now I want a cupcake. Or a bundt cake. We have an amazing bundt cake place here (Phoenix).

The Kidless Kronicles
[email protected] recently posted..A case of….

7 deva by definition February 6, 2013 at 11:24 am

I love cupcakes, and those look divine.

Of course, now I am craving cake and do not have any. Must. Fix.
deva by definition recently posted..Redefining the Self

8 Natalie @ Free Range Human February 6, 2013 at 11:27 am

Cupcake anniversaries? I like the way you think!
Natalie @ Free Range Human recently posted..Some Things To Shoot For

9 Sarah February 6, 2013 at 11:39 am

ohh man i WANT! cupcakes are just soo..mmm. question for you though: how did you get yourself to start eating more eggs for breakfast? i’m such a huge fan of my nut butter and oatmeal or a greek yogurt bowl but i want to incorporate eggs. i love eggs for lunch/dinner but i’m always craving sweet in the morning! :O
Sarah recently posted..ROD 2/4/13

10 Becky @ Olives n Wine February 6, 2013 at 12:19 pm

Look at those gorgeous cupcakes! I would have not wasted ANY of that frosting either 🙂
Becky @ Olives n Wine recently posted..Wine Wipes Giveaway!!

11 Annette @FitnessPerks February 6, 2013 at 12:25 pm

Whoa–those look delicious!!!!

12 mel February 6, 2013 at 12:59 pm

was the women’s rx 30-35 lb dumbells on each arm or total (like 15 lbs per side?)

13 Meghann February 6, 2013 at 1:02 pm

Each arm.

14 Heather February 6, 2013 at 5:06 pm

I am obsessed with cupcakes and those look amazing!!!! yum!
Heather recently posted..An Ode to the 5k

15 Christine @ We Run Disney February 6, 2013 at 6:32 pm

YUMMMM!!! Those look insane! I would be in trouble if there was a bakery that amazing near my house.

16 Robyn @thereallife_rd February 6, 2013 at 8:50 pm

ahhhhh I don’t even need the actual cupcake, just give me the buttercream and a spoon! the bakery down the street from work sells frosting shots and the peanut butter frosting is to. die. for.

happy one month 🙂
Robyn @thereallife_rd recently posted..Can I eat it all over again?

17 Angela February 6, 2013 at 11:43 pm