more ยป" />

I was on a roll… until I wasn’t

by Meghann on February 5, 2013

Today’s run was supposed to be a 5 mile tempo run with 3 miles @ 8:05. As soon as I stepped out that door, I knew those 8:05 miles were not going to happen.

I may have been a bit overzealous running my half marathon on Saturday. Though I felt great at the time, my body reminded me afterwards that I was a tad undertrained to knock out 13.1 miles (I maxed out at a distance of 8 miles the week prior). I took Sunday off to rest and felt great during CrossFit yesterday, but as soon as I started running today my legs felt like lead. They laughed when I tried to push them to 8:05, even tripping over a sidewalk ledge at mile 3 to get me to stop (by the way, ouch! that fall stung).

I’ve been on a roll with training lately, hitting all the important milestones to reach my goals, but not all runs can be speedy runs. I still pushed my limits (just as you’re supposed to do in a tempo run) and felt good about today’s effort. I know some running coaches prefer doing speed work on tired legs (since that simulates what mile XX of a run is going to feel like in a race) so, if that’s the case, then today’s run was a success. ;)

There was a chance I was going to run the Rock ‘n’ Roll St. Petersburg Half on Sunday, but I don’t think that’s going to happen. It was a great race last year, but I have a new goal this year and want to stick with my sub-48 10k plan as much as I can. I’m focused and ready to commit to making this PR happen!

After my run I made a plate of fruit (strawberries, mango, and walnuts) and eggs (scrambled with spinach and olives) for breakfast.

I wouldn’t be surprised if I turn into a strawberry soon. I’m on my way to finishing that 1/2 flat of strawberries all on my own. They’re just so sweet and delicious right now, I can’t help but grab a handful every time I open the fridge. mmmmm…. strawberries.

How are your New Year goals coming along for 2013?

1 Katie @ Peace Love and Oats February 5, 2013 at 10:15 am

My 5K PR goal is coming along but going to be pretty tough! I’m still slowly building up mileage after my injury (we’re talking couch to 5K slow) but at a much faster pace. Hopefully in a couple months I’ll be ready to try for a 5K PR and then build mileage for a half PR, my other goal!
Katie @ Peace Love and Oats recently posted..Lessons

2 Meghann February 5, 2013 at 11:22 am

Woo hoo! Good luck, girl!

3 Natalie @ Free Range Human February 5, 2013 at 10:16 am

I’m so jealous of the strawberries. They sound so delicious!
Natalie @ Free Range Human recently posted..Colorado 2013!

4 Karen @ Runner Girl Eats February 5, 2013 at 10:29 am

I have missed a few runs but overall I’ve been sticking with my plan. I think I am going to register for a half soon though to keep me focused!
Karen @ Runner Girl Eats recently posted..Engagement Part Two!

5 Gianna February 5, 2013 at 10:29 am

I just finished my first marathon last week so have now refocused my training for a half marathon in 6 weeks that I hope to PR…I did a progression run last night ending with my last 1.5 at goal HM pace and body definitely let me know we are not quite there yet! Here’s hoping that speed comes back quickly!

PS – I have strawberry envy! totally jealous!
Gianna recently posted..Recovery, Or My Version of It…

6 Meghann February 5, 2013 at 11:23 am

Sounds like you’re right on target. Good luck!

7 Genelle February 5, 2013 at 10:37 am

The strawberries sound amazing. I’d love to have some. :)

I’ve not really jumped on the racing bandwagon but I’d love to try doing a half marathon. What racing plan do you use to train?
Genelle recently posted..Making Valentines

8 Meghann February 5, 2013 at 11:24 am

I’ve tried a few different plans. Personally, I like MacMillan for a speedy half marathon/ full marathon, but if you’re a beginner I would look at SmartCoach via Runner’s World.

9 TorontoRunner February 5, 2013 at 10:41 am

OK. so I cheated the other day with chocolate covered strawberries..at least it’s still strawberries, right?!
TorontoRunner recently posted..13.1 on Treadmill! + I AM 25 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

10 Katie @ running4cupcakes February 5, 2013 at 10:45 am

yum yum yum strawberries – still so jealous! resolutions going well. running regularly and working on finalizing my bodypump certification!
Katie @ running4cupcakes recently posted..Marco Island Monday

11 Maureen February 5, 2013 at 11:12 am

I was doing very well (by my standards) with my goals until last week when I ran into a small setback. Otherwise, I registered for my big goal race for the year, which was very exciting!
Maureen recently posted..Back on Track

12 Meghann February 5, 2013 at 11:25 am

Congrats on registering! That’s a big step!

13 Beth @ Running with the Sunrise February 5, 2013 at 11:30 am

Listening to your body is so important. My splits have been awful lately, so I’ve been focusing on running at the right effort and really watching my heart rate instead of trying to push things, which it sounds like you’re trying to do, too. Keeping your focus on your big 10K PR goal is a good idea. Have a great day and enjoy your strawberries!
Beth @ Running with the Sunrise recently posted..February Goals

14 Angela February 5, 2013 at 11:36 am

I need to get back on track with my goals.. Those strawbs just look too good!!
Angela recently posted..My 25th Birthday

15 beka @ rebecca roams February 5, 2013 at 11:38 am

Oh no! I’m sorry your feeling a little rough after the half, but you’re so strong and going to be back at it asap. I know you’ll totally kill your 10k goal! When is that race?
beka @ rebecca roams recently posted..Weekly Workouts Roundup + Another injury

16 Meghann February 5, 2013 at 11:58 am

It’s the Strawberry Classic on March 23. They have a few distance options if you’re interested http://www.active.com/running/temple-terrace-fl/32nd-annual-strawberry-classic-15k-10k-5k-mile-race-2013

17 Mrs. Swan February 5, 2013 at 1:46 pm

Hrrmmmm

My mom lives about 20 miles away. I wonder if she would mind watching the boys if I did the 5k and hubby did either one of the others. Hmmmmm…
Mrs. Swan recently posted..Stop the rinse and repeat.

18 Mrs. Swan February 5, 2013 at 2:07 pm

Email sent to my mom :) Maybe I can make this my first 5k and give me something to work towards while I lose weight!
Mrs. Swan recently posted..Stop the rinse and repeat.

19 Barry Wright, III February 5, 2013 at 11:43 am

So true – it’s getting the runs in that counts. Quality will ebb and flow as you improve. My main goal is coming along well – we’ve run a 5k in 4 out of 50 states so far, with number 5 this Sunday!
Barry Wright, III recently posted..It’s February 1st – Do You Know Where Your Goals Are?

20 Annette @FitnessPerks February 5, 2013 at 11:48 am

I wish we had strawberries like that right now…yumm!

Way to push it a bit on your run :)
Annette @FitnessPerks recently posted..Bothersome Things Fitness Instructors Do

21 Katie @ Balanced RD February 5, 2013 at 11:52 am

I am training for my first half marathon. The training is starting very slow! The longest run I have done prior to this is a 10k (and I ran/walked). So, I need to kick it into gear and start training harder :) Good luck with your training!

22 Sara @ fitcupcaker February 5, 2013 at 12:00 pm

OMG I have eaten so many strawberries lately, they are just so good….and if I went strawberry picking I would turn into one too!
Sara @ fitcupcaker recently posted..Paleo Sunshine Muffins & A Healthy Breakfast

23 Victoria (District Chocoholic) February 5, 2013 at 12:27 pm

Excited to see you progress towards your goal – I think as you get into the groove of your training plan, the paces will be easier and easier to hit. Keep at it!
Victoria (District Chocoholic) recently posted..Cocova January Sample Day

24 Nikole February 5, 2013 at 3:23 pm

I started Couch to 5k on the 2nd of January and I have almost completed week 5. I have never been a runner and I am very slow but I amaze myself after every workout. When I first started jogging one minute was hard and today I did 8 without stopping, along with two five minute ones. I had a baby last May and I made this year about me. I have done it all on the treadmill but we are going to West Palm Beach at the end of the month and I cannot wait to run outside!

25 Meghann February 5, 2013 at 3:25 pm

Congrats! That is amazing!

26 Coco February 5, 2013 at 4:58 pm

Your rocking it girl.. Sometimes listening to your body is the best training there is :) Keep up the good work!
Coco recently posted..Weekend Catch up with a couple of weenies

27 BroccoliHut February 5, 2013 at 8:50 pm

I think you’re doing the right thing by listening to your body too–I’m sure that PR is gonna happen :)
I’ve been trucking along on my goal to get back into running. My resolution was to run 365 miles in 365 days. I ran 62 miles in January, so I’m going double-time!
Oh, and please send me some of those delicious strawberries. Kthanks.
BroccoliHut recently posted..Resolution Check-In: Running

28 Anne @ eatcleaneatreal February 5, 2013 at 10:21 pm

Great job staying tough…but remember that not every run will be perfect. Our bodies are strange and some days they just wont “go.”

My new years resolution is going good. I decided to quit artificial sweeteners, and it took me awhile to actually get there (lets just say Jan 1 wasn’t the official start day) but Im living a life of clean eating now. Aaaaand, decided to start a blog along the way. Not the original resolution, but Ill take it!
Anne @ eatcleaneatreal recently posted..Day 11: Death to the cardio junkie?

29 Emily N February 6, 2013 at 12:32 pm

you are right, sometimes these things just don’t work out. and the fact that you pushed hard, even if you didn’t hit paces is HUGE.
Emily N recently posted..A few Solid Runs