more ยป" />

Finding Balance

by Meghann on February 5, 2013

My eating habits have been all over the place lately.

Three months before the wedding I started eating low-carb/ high-protein in an attempt to “shape up” before the big day. Two weeks before the wedding I threw that out the window and ate what I could, when I could in an attempt to stay sane. After the wedding I indulged my little heart out; as any newlywed should!

Now I’m trying to find my balance in the middle again. A balance where I’m getting all my veggies, healthy fats, and proteins in, while still being able to enjoy my beloved carbs and sweets (in moderation). I used to be good at this, it’s crazy how quickly we forget the good habits we once spent so long perfecting.

It’s also crazy how our eating habits evolve as we do through different stages in life. It’s an ongoing learning process that keeps life interesting, that’s for sure.

Today’s lunch was an example of my attempt to return to that balance. (I even had some strawberries for dessert to calm that sweet tooth).

When I was in high school, my dad used to make my siblings and I sandwiches everyday for lunch. Every Sunday we would go to the deli counter at Publix and buy a couple of pounds of Boars Head deli meat to stretch for the week. It’s been years since I’ve regularly bought any type of deli meat, but for some reason I’ve really been digging it lately (maybe it was all the delicious roast beef or turkey sandwiches I enjoyed at my parents’ over the holidays?). For the past three weeks, I’ve been buying whatever Boar’s Head meat is on sale (this week was roasted chicken!), which is a good way to keep it interesting, while also scoring a good deal.

The chicken breast sandwich also included cheddar cheese, tomato, spinach, and a smear of guacamole all on a whole wheat english muffin (another thing I realize I haven’t had in far too long).

On the side I had slices of tomato and cucumber with some guacamole and hummus for dipping.

I love tomatoes and cucumbers with a good sprinkling of sea salt. So fresh and delicious. :)

1 Tasha February 5, 2013 at 3:23 pm

Ekk!! The HLS is coming to my stomping grounds! How exciting! :D

2 Natalie @ Free Range Human February 5, 2013 at 3:39 pm

I definitely going to the Healthy Living Summit this year, and I am so excited!!

3 Claire February 5, 2013 at 3:39 pm

I can totally relate! Somehow it seems like my diet is totally all-or-nothing… either I am eating clean all the time or I am eating nachos for every meal. Have you ever tried the zone diet? It is kind of a lot of work to get started but I have been doing it for a little over a month with really awesome results as far as my body composition and energy levels are concerned… but more importantly the zone structure really encourages you to eat balanced meals and pay attention to your portions (and you can even sneak in some junk food without straying too far from the block system). If you want to check out my results and FAQ, I wrote a post about it a few days ago! (http://theascentblog.com/zone-progress-photos/)

4 Natalie @ will jog for food February 5, 2013 at 3:50 pm

My idea of balance is pretty much eat healthy during the week and splurge on weekends. Works well as long as I keep up my workouts! hehe

5 Becky @ Olives n Wine February 5, 2013 at 4:04 pm

I’m PUMPED that HLS 2013 will be in my city! There is so much beautiful outdoor space in the city to be healthy and happy :) Can’t wait!

6 Annette @FitnessPerks February 5, 2013 at 4:24 pm

I’m definitely all about balance–I like to get it all in–protein, healthy fats, complex carbs, and a nice sprinkling of ‘fun’ foods. Now I’m never deprived & I’ve never been fitter. Woot!

Yay for yummy lunches. I love sandwiches too!

7 Angela February 5, 2013 at 4:26 pm

It’s hard to stay on track sometimes. I was on a smoothie kick for awhile, I would have one everyday! I can’t remember now when the last time was. I go through phases of eating the se thing until I get sick of it, it’s not a good habit! That’s why I love the deli meat idea…keeping things interesting.

8 Mrs. Swan February 5, 2013 at 7:41 pm

That looks like an amazing meal. Yum!

9 beka @ rebecca roams February 5, 2013 at 7:49 pm

Thank you for the comment :) My views tripled yesterday!!! I like all the comments about HLS! I’m going too this year ;)

We bought a pound of the chicken breast as well. I shredded some up and made a spinach, tomato, feta, chicken breast egg scramble for breakfast this morning. It really held me over until dinner! (I ate a granola bar for lunch) The meat is so so good! Can’t beat Boar’s head!

10 Karen @ Runner Girl Eats February 5, 2013 at 9:53 pm

After I fall off the clean eating wagon I have such a hard time getting back into it. I have found that only drinking water adn snacking on lots of plain veggies is a good way to ease into it with out going crazy craving sugar :)

11 Allison February 6, 2013 at 6:40 am

I am kind of an all or nothing girl. It’s either all junk or all healthy for me. I have no happy medium.

12 Lauren @ Eat Like An Elephant February 6, 2013 at 9:49 am

I agree that eating can be an evolving thing you’re whole life…sometimes you just have more time/energy/money whatever than others, and I think that’s cool. No one can be perfect all the time!

13 Sarah @ Blonde Bostonian February 6, 2013 at 10:41 am

I totally know where you’re coming from. Sometimes it’s just hard to make sure your eats are 100% balanced, especially when it’s the holidays or a time of celebration. I used to be a huge fan of deli meats, but I haven’t gotten any in a while. Love Boar’s Head meat!

14 Emily N February 6, 2013 at 11:31 am

Good luck regaining your balance. I know firsthand how tough that can be!

15 BroccoliHut February 6, 2013 at 8:03 pm

For what it’s worth, I’ve always thought that you eat a very balanced diet–lots of fruit and veggies with room for the occasional treat. Perfect role model for healthy eating if you ask me :)
I have a similar pattern for buying deli meat. I don’t eat it, but my husband takes a sandwich to work every day, so I buy whatever is on sale to make life a little less boring for him!

16 Jennifer L February 7, 2013 at 1:20 pm

Sugar and fatty foods light up the same part of our brains as drugs do… I don’t know where exactly, but I think the pleasure and addiction areas. I think that could be why it’s so easy to forget good habits after some indulgence.