more ยป" />

Superbowl Leftovers

by Meghann on February 4, 2013

Who else had a fridge full of Superbowl leftovers today? There were only two of us last night (with only two main dishes), but we still had some a good amount left in the fridge this morning. Never one to let good food go to waste, today’s meals were leftover themed.

First up, nachos.

Yep, I saved last night’s nachos (which were covered with black beans, onion, carrots, and cheese) and reheated them in the oven for lunch (if you bake leftover nachos at roughly 400 degrees for a few minutes, they retain a nice crispness). I placed the nachos on a bed of spinach for a bit of green and topped them with some leftover chicken wings I deboned, guacamole, and hummus.

The nachos were still pretty bad ass.

The rest of the chicken wings were turned into a black bean, sweet potato, and chicken wing chili for dinner.

So good.

• 1 sweet potato, chopped
  • 1 yellow onion, chopped
  • 1 tablespoon canola oil
  • 1 tablespoon tomato paste
  • 3 tablespoons chili power
  • 1 tablespoon cumin
  • 1 16-oz can diced tomatoes
  • 1 16-oz can black beans, drained
  • 2 cups chicken broth
  • 6 leftover chicken wings, deboned
  • salt and pepper

Add the onion and sweet potato to a medium pot with oil on medium high. Let the veggies sweat until the onions are translucent. Add tomato paste and coat veggies with chili powder and cumin. Cook for 2-3 minutes, then add tomatoes, black beans, chicken broth, and chicken wings. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Bring to a boil, then back to low for 45 minutes.

Serve with cheese and raw onion.

The wings still had some bbq sauce on them, which gave the chili a nice sweetness. This was a great, easy way to use up the last of the chicken wing meat and it was pretty darn tasty. I’d say this meal was a success.

Were you creative with any of your leftovers today? What did you make?

1 Rebecca@Running.Food.Baby. February 4, 2013 at 10:02 pm

I made poutine last night – there were no leftovers :-(

2 Molly February 4, 2013 at 10:05 pm

I had leftover chocolate fondue and strawberries on my oats for breakfast. Pretty much the best decision I made all day. ;)

3 Karen @ Runner Girl Eats February 4, 2013 at 10:08 pm

Nachos and chili leftovers are the best. We got lucky and emptied out all of our superbowl eats on our guests so we have zero temptation :)

4 MrsSwan February 4, 2013 at 10:15 pm

You are the queen of thrown together food.

No party food here- kale/pork chop/onions/peppers.

5 Beth @ Running with the Sunrise February 4, 2013 at 10:26 pm

I am absolutely going to be trying that chili recipe. It contains two of my favorite things, wings and sweet potatoes. How can you go wrong with that? I don’t really have any Super Bowl leftovers since I spent a quiet night in with my fiance and we just had some guacamole.

6 Katie @ Talk Less, Say More February 4, 2013 at 10:47 pm

My leftovers were pizza which was pretty easy to throw in the oven and eat. I made a salad to go along with it today so it would be at least a BIT healthier. ;)

7 Angela February 5, 2013 at 12:23 am

You are so good at creating dishes! I would never think of these things! :)

8 TorontoRunner February 5, 2013 at 2:37 am

I didn’t make anything..insteaaad ordered in potato wedges and chicken wings and nachos etc!
Nachos are my fave – yours look faaaab!

9 Erica February 5, 2013 at 8:40 am

Creative lady! We had leftover meatballs and bread sticks, so I just cooked up some pasta and made a meal of the whole dish! I also ate some of the leftover veggies and guacamole/hummus for lunch (but nothing creative there ;)). Leftover cookies were sent with Josh into work!

10 Emily N February 5, 2013 at 10:49 am

Yumm-o! That looks delicious!

11 Heather February 5, 2013 at 2:54 pm

Some were sent into work with my hubby for lunch. The veggies and hummus will be eaten as snacks. There is still a bit of cheese and a fantastic dessert dip I made. That will probably be eaten in small quantities this week or brought into the office.

12 Cathy February 5, 2013 at 3:15 pm

Both of those sound delish!

13 Sara@RunningInPinkProject February 6, 2013 at 6:42 am

Ive said this before- but I love that you dont waste anything. Weirdly, thats inspired me to try harder to figure out ways to do the same!