more ยป" />

Super WOD

by Meghann on February 4, 2013

It’s never a good sign when Monday’s WOD takes up the entire board.

20130204_075312.jpg

Gulp.

Luckily it wasn’t as bad as it looks. Trust me, it was still tough, but there was a lot of repeating that allowed the WOD to flow a little easier than we originally thought it would. The worst part was looking at the board and trying to figure out where you were in the WOD. You would spend a good minute just finding your spot to see what comes next. Not that any of us were complaining about the excuse to rest for a minute between sets. ;)

The “fun” came on the bookends of the WOD and smack dab in the middle. You started the WOD with an 800m run and ended with an 800m run, with a lovely set of 100 double unders in between ( or lateral jumps in my case). Way to get you when you’re down!

20130204_075648.jpg

I think our box was expecting a lot of no-shows because of Superbowl Sunday the night before, but both the 6am and 7am classes were full of regulars. Personally, I didn’t even make it past the third quarter last night. After developing the world’s biggest girl crush on Beyonce during the halftime show (could she be any hotter?), I started losing interest in the game during the blackout and began to do the head nodding thing as I desperately tried to keep my eyes open. It didn’t work – I was a lost cause at that point and went to bed. I wonder how many viewers the Superbowl lost to sleep during the power outage?

On another note, I found a new way to keep my hair under control during CrossFit.

20130204_080025.jpg

The folks at Cool Cat Pro sent me one of their wraps to test out for the blog. The Cool Cat is a multi purpose wrap that can be used to protect your face while running in the wind/cold as a neck gaiter or ear cover, but can also be used as a headband, wristband, impromptu ponytail holder, etc.

I’ve been wearing it as a pull over head cover around the house, but wanted to test it out at CrossFit to see how much it would move.

20130204_075534.jpg

I was expecting it to slip and slide through the workout (especially with how much we were moving during today’s WOD), but it surprisingly stayed put. I didn’t have to readjust it once – not even after my HSPUs with the band. The best part was I could just throw it over my crazy morning hair and not even have to bother with attempting to tame my hair with a brush. Admittedly, it’s not the most attractive thing ever, but it’s CrossFit – who cares? As long as my hair wasn’t flying every which way, I was a happy camper. :)

For some reason my breakfast photos aren’t downloading (I think my SD card has captured its last photos), so just imagine a big bowl of plain greek yogurt with lots of fresh strawberries (that we picked ourselves yesterday!) and lots of nuts. Yum.

Alright, time to get this week started.

How late into the big game did you make it last night? Or did you prefer to watch/do something else?

1 Katie @ running4cupcakes February 4, 2013 at 10:37 am

Made it to the end of the game. . . highly unusual for me! We are in Florida for the week (from MN) so being an hour ahead of our normal time, helped us make it to the end!

2 Paige @ Your Trainer Paige February 4, 2013 at 10:38 am

Whoa! That certainly doesn’t look easy!
I’m always amazed at how many people go to crossfit on the weekends. It seems when I’m relaxing in my robe on a Saturday morning, I read about crossfit workouts all morning on Instagram :) People must really enjoy it!

3 Lindsay February 4, 2013 at 10:41 am

Actually not many viewers were lost…it was one of the highest viewerships of all time! But anyway… every time I read about your WOD I get tired! Way to push it! :)

4 Nicole@TheKidlessKronicles February 4, 2013 at 11:00 am

Being on Mountain Time, we watched (or heard in the car) the whole thing.

That workout looks tough. All those hollow rocks. And yes, the double unders in the middle jumped out at me. Oy.

The Kidless Kronicles

5 Megan February 4, 2013 at 11:09 am

lululemon bang buster! You have to get one! They are the ONLY thing that holds my hair/bangs back at crossfit.

6 Beth @ Running with the Sunrise February 4, 2013 at 12:17 pm

I like the bandana/headband; you look really cute in it. I actually made it through the entire game, but I slept in a bit on Sunday morning, so that probably helped, and I’m also on Central time. I was listening to a report on my local NPR station this morning about how the delay due to the power outage could have been really bad for advertisers if the end of the game hadn’t been so close because people may have tuned out when the game went so late; I thought that perspective was kinda interesting.

7 Natalie @ Free Range Human February 4, 2013 at 12:21 pm

I am totally not a footbal fan so I didn’t watch any of it. I’ve been hearing a lot about it today though!

8 Annette @FitnessPerks February 4, 2013 at 2:18 pm

My husband watched a bit of it, but I wasn’t very interested. I think it’s quite boring actually (sorry!), but I am glad the ‘underdog’ <–I think? won!

I wear BIC bands & sparkly soul & they do great keeping my hair back!

9 Anne @ eatcleaneatreal February 4, 2013 at 2:27 pm

Great job on the WOD. Ive got my FIRST crossfit class in TWO HOURS. Im nervous!

I didnt even start the game…too much work to do :(

10 Jaimie February 4, 2013 at 2:59 pm

Fellow CFer here…and just curious what lateral jumps are and why you were doing those instead of jump roping??

I wish my box did more workouts like this – sounds super hard but really rewarding in the end. We stick to mostly 15 min or less WODs.

11 Meghann February 4, 2013 at 3:10 pm

Lateral jumps are when you jump side-to-side over one of the gates (a bar raised about 6in? 8in? 10in? off the ground). Today’s WOD included 100 double unders with an option to sub out the double unders for 100 lateral jumps or 400 single jump ropes. Since I’m not even close to completing two double unders in a row (let alone 100!) I opted to do lateral jumps since 100 of those sounded better than 400 single jump ropes. :)

12 Bethany @ Accidental Intentions February 4, 2013 at 3:03 pm

Made it to the end of the Super Bowl, but to say that I watched the entire game would be a complete lie. I watched-ish the first half, but the power outage definitely was a drag, so I decided to tackle some of my dishes from all the food I made…which turned into me spending most of the night in the kitchen cleaning and coming back to the TV for the commercials haha. I did watch the last four minutes or so of play, though, so I think I can say I watched it until the end ;)

13 Lauren @ Eat Like An Elephant February 4, 2013 at 3:47 pm

I made it through the whole game…but not by much. I think you’re definitely right about the power outage, the little interest I had in the game totally died after that. But Beyonce killed it, so there’s that. :)

14 Dori February 4, 2013 at 4:05 pm

My biggest issue with winter running is that my face is unbearably freezing – I NEED to try this wrap!

15 Angela February 4, 2013 at 8:16 pm

I was only really interested in the halftime show anyways which I loved!! But I decided to shower during the blackout and made it out to see the intense ending.

16 dotsie February 4, 2013 at 10:08 pm

fellow CF’er here…and wondering what DB burpee deadlifts are?? Are you doing a deadlift before a burpee??

17 Meghann February 5, 2013 at 10:02 am

They’re a little awkward. You do a burpee with the dumbbells in your hands, then do a deadlift coming up (instead of a jump). Here’s a good YouTube video I found demonstrating the move: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vFPjke5AS9c

18 dotsie February 5, 2013 at 10:28 am

Oh, OK–and ouch! haha! thanks for the video!

COOL!