Weekend Highlights

by Meghann on February 3, 2013

1. Pinterest rocks my world.

I had two pin-successes this weekend.

Pin #1: Ice cream in a jar.

IMG_8131.jpg

This was one of those “why didn’t I think of this?!” moments. I’m a HUGE fan of putting oatmeal in an almost-empty jar of nut butter, but it never occurred to me to put ice cream in there too. Um, Best. Idea. Ever. Why have I been wasting those almost-empty jars on oatmeal this whole time? Clearly ice cream is where it’s at. ;)

Pin #2: Cleaning a George Foreman with a wet paper towel.

408459_10102679375142583_449368338_n.jpg

Derek and I love using our George Foreman for burgers and pressed sandwiches, but we hate cleaning the darn thing. This tip just made it about 100 times easier. It’s pretty simple, just place a wet paper towel in the George Foreman right when you turn it off. The heat mixes with the wet towel, which releases steam that loosens the gunk. When it stops steaming, just wipe it clean with another paper towel. Done.

2. Pho sure.

PhotoGrid_1359923517297.jpg

Derek and I had our first Pho experience at a local Vietnamese restaurant on Saturday (thanks, Yelp!). We both got the “combination” option and were big fans of the experience. I liked adding a fresh jalapeno for a touch of spice and the sprouts added a nice crunch to the Pho.

3. It’s a….cabinet.

217486_10102678007009333_67745913_n.jpg

Not Ikea, but close enough. Luckily the cabinet only took an hour to put together (not 6) and I was proud to put the majority of it together on my own. Now we finally have a place to store the fancy serving ware and glasses we got off our registry – woo hoo!

4. Strawberries!

It’s strawberry season in Florida, which means strawberry shortcakes are officially back at Parkesdale Market (they only sell them seasonably, usually late January – early April.) Folks are crazy about their strawberry shortcake – check out that line!

Derek had never had a Parkesdale strawberry milkshake before (he didn’t know what he was missing – best strawberry shake in the world!), so we drove over earlier today to split a shortcake and milkshake.

We were both in strawberry heaven. We need to recreate these at home ASAP.

After destroying our cake and shake (so, so, so good), my friend Xi brought us to a field to pick some strawberries.

There’s a u-pick strawberry field outside of Orlando that I remember picking strawberries at as a kid, but I haven’t been in years. Derek had never been before, so this was a first for him. We were both full of questions and the knowledgable Xi was full of answers.

For instance, did you know that a strawberry does not continue to ripen once you pick it? It has to be picked at the peak of ripeness to ensure a sweet and juicy strawberry.

Strawberries start as a flower on the plant. Once the flower blooms it will take 21 days for a strawberry to form and ripen.

Derek and I walked away with a gorgeous 1/2 flat of strawberries. I see some homemade strawberry shortcakes and milkshakes in our future.

5. Superbowl Eats

Nachos

PhotoGrid_1359937634927.jpg

Chicken wings

PhotoGrid_1359937676027.jpg

Beer.

What more do you really need? ;)

1 Natalie @ Free Range Human February 3, 2013 at 7:58 pm

I saw that you pinned the ice cream thing the other day, and I agree-totally genius! I have to try that soon!
Natalie @ Free Range Human recently posted..A Very Special Book

2 Beth @ Running with the Sunrise February 3, 2013 at 8:09 pm

Looks like you had a great weekend! I love going to pick my own strawberries–I think they taste way better than the ones I buy at the grocery store.
Beth @ Running with the Sunrise recently posted..Super Bowl Sunday Fitness

3 Anne @ eatcleaneatreal February 3, 2013 at 8:14 pm

I always clean my george foreman that way…a college roomate clued me in a few years ago. What a timesaver! Glad you found out about it ;)
Anne @ eatcleaneatreal recently posted..Day 8: Spoke too soon…

4 Angela February 3, 2013 at 8:28 pm

Yum! Those strawberry treats look amazing!! Your outfit at the strawberry field was super cute!
Angela recently posted..Running For My Life [a book review]

5 Katie @ Talk Less, Say More February 3, 2013 at 8:29 pm

Pizza, beer and chips w/ guar! Perfect. :)
Katie @ Talk Less, Say More recently posted..CHO-tastic!

6 Carly @LifeInTraining February 3, 2013 at 8:30 pm

Two things: I saw on your half-marathon post that you put oatmeal in a peanut butter jar, and thought ‘genius’. Also, your hat for strawberry picking is adorable.
Carly @LifeInTraining recently posted..Snow Day

7 Sam @ Better With Sprinkles February 3, 2013 at 8:32 pm

Now I wish I hadn’t used my empty chocolate peanut butter jar on oatmeal…that would have been amazing with ice cream!
Sam @ Better With Sprinkles recently posted..Zombies + Fast Food = Date Night.

8 Becky @ Olives n Wine February 3, 2013 at 8:41 pm

Those strawberries look AMAZING! I’m jealous that your season in Florida comes so early. In Minnesota, I think I’ll have to wait for July :) I can’t wait for you to share your strawberry shake recipe! YUM!
Becky @ Olives n Wine recently posted..Push-Up Challenge – Week 2

9 Mrs. Swan February 3, 2013 at 8:46 pm

Thank you for reminding me. There is a you pick place on the other side of town I keep wanting to try. Those strawberries look faboo! Love living in FL. :)
Mrs. Swan recently posted..Kale Fail

10 Rebecca@Running.Food.Baby. February 3, 2013 at 9:25 pm

Glad you liked the pho!! I love pho – even made my own once with turkey bones ;-)
Rebecca@Running.Food.Baby. recently posted..Save the Cheese Curds!

11 Lyndsay @ Where the heart is February 3, 2013 at 9:32 pm

Fresh strawberries are the best and that milkshake looks unreal! I love local hotspots like your Parkesdale Market… they are what make every town/city unique. :)
Lyndsay @ Where the heart is recently posted..{Friday Love} 01-02-13

12 Molly February 3, 2013 at 10:07 pm

Screw Oats in a Jar…I know what I’m having for breakfast! ;)

13 Eesh February 3, 2013 at 10:10 pm

I’ve never picked strawberries before. Bet it’s an awesome experience! …and that shortcake & shake is just teasing me!

xx

14 Jessica February 3, 2013 at 10:50 pm

Where’s that pho?!? Which Vietnamese place?! Looks amazing! Always scared to try Vietnamese without personal recommendations- let me know! Thx!!

15 TorontoRunner February 3, 2013 at 11:22 pm

Black olives are my fave – your nachos are perfection with so many black olives!!

I do the saaame cleaning technique with the George Foreman (that thing saved me through university, what a great machine!)
TorontoRunner recently posted..Shut.It.Down + 7 treadmill miles

16 Elisabeth February 3, 2013 at 11:40 pm

I soooo need to do that paper towel trick with my panini maker!

17 Charlie (The Runner Beans) February 4, 2013 at 5:49 am

I love Strawberries and can’t wait for them to be in season in the UK. Tip: do not make oatmeal in a jar if your jar is not glass, mine melted!! Must try it with icecream though as I won’t have that problem!
Charlie (The Runner Beans) recently posted..Scottish Celebrations

18 Julie Wunder February 4, 2013 at 6:39 am

ohhh! I grew up in Florida, but live in NC now. I totally miss those fresh stawberries– nothing like them :-) This is the best time of year in FL!
Julie Wunder recently posted..Crock Pot Spicy Asian Shrimp Soup- Crock Pot Challenge #4

19 Paula @ Eat: Watch: Run February 4, 2013 at 8:28 am

I hate my Foreman Grill for that exact reason. The cleaning! So one Christmas I asked for a new FG with the removable plates. Best thing ever. Plus it’s a bit bigger so I can grill 2-3 things at once. :-)

20 Karen @ Runner Girl Eats February 4, 2013 at 9:12 am

I used to love strawberry picking as a kid. I haven’t been in years but def want to go again soon :) so fun!
Karen @ Runner Girl Eats recently posted..It’s Groundhog Day…again…

21 Sara @ fitcupcaker February 4, 2013 at 9:37 am

I love pinterest! The only way I can my George is to turn it on and get it hot then turn it off and clean it with a paper towel. Super easy! OMG those strawberries look so good, I want to eat some now!
Sara @ fitcupcaker recently posted..Tabata & Dark Chocolate Coconut Bites

22 CT Cupcake February 4, 2013 at 11:54 am

yum, the milkshake looks fabulous! Jealous of strawberry picking season!

I love putting hot oats in an almost empty peanut butter jar, but ice cream would b even better!

23 Stephanie Clement February 4, 2013 at 12:03 pm

WHERE did you get that adorable necklace that you wore strawberry picking?! I LOVE IT!

24 Meghann February 4, 2013 at 12:07 pm

It’s bama+ry. :) It’s the same necklace I got for my bridesmaid gifts: http://mealsandmiles.com/2013/01/07/wedding-bridesmaid-gifts/

25 Sonia the Mexigarian February 4, 2013 at 12:04 pm

I haven’t been strawberry picking since I was a child. Watsonville Salinas area is our strawberry place for the Bay Area. I know there are some U-Picks down that way. Now I am seriously craving some shortcakes!!
Sonia the Mexigarian recently posted..The Good Kitty. . .

26 Sara@RunningInPinkProject February 4, 2013 at 7:42 pm

Those strawberries look awesome!
Sara@RunningInPinkProject recently posted..Silver Linings

27 beka @ rebecca roams February 4, 2013 at 10:03 pm

that pic of you sipping the milkshake is freakin adorable!!! Looks like you had an AWESOME rest of your weekend! I love Pho! Pho Quyen on Fowler is one of my top faves :)
beka @ rebecca roams recently posted..My Best Damn PR

28 Page February 5, 2013 at 5:13 pm

What Vietnamese restaurant was that? Looked awesome!