more ยป" />

100 Push Ups

by Meghann on February 1, 2013

Welcome to February, everyone!

I love the start of a new month, especially a new month that includes my birthday. Exactly one week from today my twin brother and I will turn the big 2-8. I’m surprisingly not that beat up about turning another year older, I’m actually pretty excited. 27 was a great year, but it’s time to move on and see what new challenges lay ahead for 28. I’m not getting older, just a little wiser (and stronger!) with time. ๐Ÿ™‚

I kicked February off with an evil challenge at CrossFit this morning -100 push ups. Yikes

20130201_075930.jpg

Well, before the push ups, we worked on bench presses. Again, the bench press was another “first” for me at CrossFit. Since I only go three days a week, I’m realizing I miss a lot on my “off” days. They worked on bench presses last Tuesday, but I wasn’t there to do them.

The bench presses were a challenge. My upper body is very weak and I’m still working on building my strength. Jolie and I (the only two females in today’s class) shared a bench and slowly went up in weight, adding 5 lb increments. I ended up maxing out at 70lbs for my 5 RM, definitely a number I can work on improving in the future.

It’s never a good sign when the WOD only consists of two things – push ups and evil wheels. Ouch.

Thankfully we were granted permission to do some on our knees, otherwise I wouldn’t have survived. I started in the full push up position to see how many I could do, then broke down to my knees to finish the set. I know going to your knees sounds like the easy way out, but trust me, it wasn’t. As soon as I hit 100 I collapsed to the ground and couldn’t move. My whole body was done. We could have gone to 150 for a RX, but it hurt too much. I had reached my limit at 100.

Each time we collapsed during our set, we had to do a 40 meter prowler. I broke for my first one when I had maxed out at full push ups and took off for my prowler run. I was the first one to do the prowler and just started pushing the one closest to me. It was heavy – really, really heavy – and I couldn’t believe how much effort it took me to push it to the end. It was only when I made it back in the box that my coach started giving me a round of applause and congratulating me for pushing the “dude” prowler. Wait.. what?

It had completely slipped my mind that there was a heavier “dude” prowler and a lighter “female” prowler. I had accidentally pushed the heavier one (which wasn’t terrible, but not my idea of a good time) for the first set. Whoops. I made sure not to make the same mistake for my second, but it was a bit of a confidence knowing I could push it if I wanted to.

The evil wheels were all I had left after the push ups. I took my time with those and did them in 10 rep increments. It burned!

20130201_075937.jpg

Something tells me my core and chest muscles are going to hate me in the morning!

Post-workout refuel.

• plain Chobani
  • Kashi Go Lean Crisp
  • Almond Slivers
  • Strawberries
  • Blueberries

I’m out of walnuts. ๐Ÿ™ Walnuts are usually what really puts these bowls over the top in deliciousness.

Do you have any goals for the new month?

1 Dori February 1, 2013 at 9:57 am

What is a prowler? And congrats on the 100 pushups! I did 100 pushups at a CrossFit class, but it just happened to work out that way based on the warmup and how many rounds of Hand Release Pushups I got through during the WOD. Amazing feeling!
Dori recently posted..DSB Review: Work It Out – Hoboken Boutique Fitness Studio

2 Meghann February 1, 2013 at 10:00 am

Here’s a description I wrote of the prowler last week: http://mealsandmiles.com/2013/01/25/mr-prowler/ It’s basically a bunch of weight your push from Point A to Point B.

3 lisa fine @ vermont vittles February 1, 2013 at 10:00 am

I love walnuts, but find that it gets expensive to buy nuts, other than peanuts. Where do you buy yours, and do you buy them in bulk or in bags?

4 Meghann February 1, 2013 at 10:14 am

I buy them from Publix in a bag. I’ve actually found that to be cheaper than going to bulk route at Greenwise or Whole Foods (which is the only place I know that sells bulk around me). What I need to do is going to Costco and buy them there.

5 Maureen February 1, 2013 at 10:13 am

Oh man! I call that the wheel of pain!! We use them in TRX sometimes and I feel it within a few hours. Hurts so good! ๐Ÿ™‚
Maureen recently posted..I Slipped

6 Courtney February 1, 2013 at 10:21 am

1oo push-ups?!? Whoa… that’s crazy!! Props to you for finishing ๐Ÿ˜€ ๐Ÿ˜€

7 Kristy @ Kristy's Health Revolution February 1, 2013 at 10:24 am

I do most push ups on my knees. I did Angie the other day at Crossfit — 100 push ups, 100 pull ups, 100 sit ups and 100 goblet squats. It was intense.
Kristy @ Kristy’s Health Revolution recently posted..Brrr!

8 Meghann February 1, 2013 at 10:30 am

Holy moly! Just reading that makes me want to cry.

9 Kristy @ Kristy's Health Revolution February 1, 2013 at 10:31 am

Yeah, even with the push ups on my knees and using a band to do the pull ups, I wanted to die when I was done.
Kristy @ Kristy’s Health Revolution recently posted..Brrr!

10 TorontoRunner February 1, 2013 at 10:25 am

yesss another February birthday!! I’m 25 on the 5th ๐Ÿ˜€
that sounds like a super intense workout! I’m focusing on core and loooooots of pushups and planks this month!
TorontoRunner recently posted..Falling in love with exercise

11 Lauren @ Eat Like An Elephant February 1, 2013 at 10:25 am

My goal this month is to up some of my weights…I can feel that I’ve kind of been coasting, so now’s the time to push it!
Lauren @ Eat Like An Elephant recently posted..The Snack Exchange: Making Super Bowl Food Gluten and Dairy Free

12 beka @ rebecca roams February 1, 2013 at 11:01 am

Wuhoo! Great job on that prowler! Push ups are the devil. After doin them (+ lat ring pull ups) this past week I’m nursing a minor strain on my left (weaker) arm! I can’t wait to build more strength in my upper body! Crossfit is definitely going to do it ๐Ÿ™‚
beka @ rebecca roams recently posted..January #goalgetter2013 Results

13 Christine @ BookishlyB February 1, 2013 at 11:21 am

You are going to be SO sore tomorrow! I like starting new months too- an opportunity to get reorganized and remotivated.
Christine @ BookishlyB recently posted..Bookish (and not so Bookish) Thoughts

14 Katie @ Peace Love and Oats February 1, 2013 at 11:39 am

Oh gosh, I have awful upper body strength, especially since strength training has gone to the wayside over the past couple of months
Katie @ Peace Love and Oats recently posted..The Results Are In!

15 Natalie @ Free Range Human February 1, 2013 at 12:40 pm

100 push ups make me want to cry just thinking about it!

16 Sara @ fitcupcaker February 1, 2013 at 12:42 pm

100 push ups dang! I am doing a push up challenge with becky from olivesnwine and I hope to be able to do 20 real push ups by Feb 28th!
Sara @ fitcupcaker recently posted..Push Up Challenge: Day 2

17 Anne @ eatcleaneatreal February 1, 2013 at 12:44 pm

Holy crap girl, major kudos to you. 100 pushups, wowzer! You make me excited and terrified to try crossfit for the first time next week. I did a beginner workout today that included a total of 25 pushups and I thought I was going to die. Keep it up lady!

18 [email protected] February 1, 2013 at 1:57 pm

My trainer used to use that evil wheel thing. It is awful.

The Kidless Kronicles
[email protected] recently posted..Another bait and switch

19 Katie February 1, 2013 at 2:33 pm

That ab wheel looks so intense! I’m pretty sure my gym has one in “the random workout stuff” corner, I’ll have to try it out!
Katie recently posted..#HLS13