Coffee Buddies

by Meghann on January 31, 2013

We meet again, Cafe Borgia. You knew I couldn’t stay away for long.

20130131_071803.jpg

Seriously, Starbucks has nothing on this drink. The orange-infused frothy concoction is heaven in a cup. Jet City Espresso can do no wrong.

My friends and I have started a semi-monthly tradition of meeting for morning coffee before work on a random weekday each month. It’s a great excuse to break from the normal routine and see each other in normal clothes (as opposed to our normal training gear). It’s also nice to chill, relax, and just enjoy the early morning.

20130131_075659.jpg

Stephanie, Beth, and I met at Jet City Espresso just after 7:00, and Mary joined us a little later with a furry friend in tow.

20130131_073448.jpg 20130131_073452.jpg

Winnie was excited about the Cafe Borgias, too! Well, she was excited her mom got one since that meant she could have one of the dog treats Jet City has out for their furry customers. πŸ˜‰

Jessica, the shop’s owner, was as friendly as ever greeting all of the coffee enthusiast as they entered the shop ready for their morning jolt. She was so sweet, immediately recognizing my new haircut and asking about the wedding. I could easily stay in the shop all day just talking to her.

20130131_081345.jpg

I ordered a Dark Chocolate Cherry Paleo Scone to go with my coffee.

20130131_071951.jpg

The scone was served warm and smelled richly of chocolate and almonds. Since I’m not sure I’ve ever had a paleo baked good before, I was simply curious what it tasted like. From what I understood, to make it paleo, she switched out regular flour with almond flour. I’m sure there’s more to it than that, but that was how I understood it (my paleo knowledge is very minimal when it comes to baked goods).

The scone was great. She added almond butter to the batter, which gave it some sticking power. Otherwise, I’d say it pretty much tasted just like any other baked good, maybe a little denser.

20130131_071946.jpg

We stayed and chatted for a while, then were all on our way a little before 8:00am. It was the perfect, relaxing way to start the day.

1 Paige @ Your Trainer Paige January 31, 2013 at 10:00 am

Love this idea! When I lived in Illinois, my BFF there and I would go to the coffee shop after spin class. Such a great atmosphere to chill out and enjoy each others’ company.
Love that the coffee shop serves paleo baked goods!
Paige @ Your Trainer Paige recently posted..Easy Dinner, Humbled in the Gym, + The Personal Trainer Sin I Commit Daily

2 Lauren @ Eat Like An Elephant January 31, 2013 at 10:09 am

I wish I was a morning person and could do things like this! It sounds like such a relaxing morning πŸ™‚
Lauren @ Eat Like An Elephant recently posted..Recipe: Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free Baked Ziti

3 Katie @ Peace Love & Oats January 31, 2013 at 10:22 am

That’s a great idea – I love meeting up with friends during the work-week, it makes the week go by faster! And I LOVE places that allow dogs! My brother’s golden retriever, Molly, is a year and a half and finally getting to the age where she’s calm enough to go places. Haha almost…
Katie @ Peace Love & Oats recently posted..Thursday Thoughts

4 Erin @ A Girl & Her Mutt January 31, 2013 at 10:26 am

That scone is a little frightening! Your description makes it sound delicious but I would have a hard time picking that from the counter. πŸ™‚

The short hair is looking great! Sounds like a lovely morning.
Erin @ A Girl & Her Mutt recently posted..Winner! DietBet Breakdown and Round 2

5 Courtney @ Journey of a Dreamer January 31, 2013 at 10:28 am

mmm paleo scones? I need to try that. I hardly notice a difference anymore, although just like you said it is usually more dense. Typically people use coconut oil instead of butter, almond or coconut flour instead of almond flour and sometimes even coconut sugar for regular sugar.
Courtney @ Journey of a Dreamer recently posted..Dietbet Round 2: Spring Break Shape Up & Operation Red Bikini

6 Reenie January 31, 2013 at 10:36 am

Your hair looks really cute in that pic…. with your natural wave πŸ™‚

7 Katie @ running4cupcakes January 31, 2013 at 10:45 am

Such a great idea! and that coffee looks super yummy. . . and I love going to places where people actually seem to care about you and take actual interest in your life. Sounds like a great place.
Katie @ running4cupcakes recently posted..Hawaiian BBQ Chicken (crockpot)

8 Maureen January 31, 2013 at 10:53 am

Your short hair is super cute! That scone sounds great. πŸ™‚
Maureen recently posted..Lost & Found

9 Lindsay January 31, 2013 at 11:05 am

I wish I had a place like that in my neighborhood! And what a fun tradition- you have great friends.

PS- your hair is ADORABLE.
Lindsay recently posted..Friday Favorites

10 katie January 31, 2013 at 11:14 am

So fun!

I have to say again, your hair looks super damn cute! Love it and love the way it si styled in this pic of you on here!

11 Becky @ Olives n Wine January 31, 2013 at 11:34 am

What a fun tradition! I love this πŸ™‚ We all are always so busy after work that it is great to put friends as a priority before work in the morning!
Becky @ Olives n Wine recently posted..Foodie Penpals!

12 Coco January 31, 2013 at 11:38 am

Love coffee- and your hair looks awesome!

13 Sara @ fitcupcaker January 31, 2013 at 11:44 am

I wish I liked coffee…I could have tea time in the morning πŸ™‚
Sara @ fitcupcaker recently posted..Carrot Cake Muffins

14 Gianna January 31, 2013 at 11:48 am

What a great idea! love the morning meet up – sadly I think I am one of the only morning people as far my friends go!

And your hair – looks so great, I love it!
Gianna recently posted..ING Miami Marathon: Recap

15 Megan January 31, 2013 at 11:53 am

your hair looks so cute!!

Paleo baked goods!!! Why didn’t I go to this place when I was in tampa last weekend!! zomgg!!!

16 Meghan @ After the Ivy League January 31, 2013 at 11:58 am

Paleo baked goods are pretty delicious right! They have to sub in almond or coconut flour, and there can’t be any butter or dairy either so coconut oil is a good substitute. That scone looks delicious, I wonder if any of the local places around me have started carrying Paleo goodies.

17 Angela January 31, 2013 at 12:15 pm

Oh lady. I’ve been growing my hair out for several years. Since I’ve seen how cute yours is, I’ve been pinteresting short cuts, and now that you posted the picture today, with the waves… shooooot I wanna chop mine off. Your hair looks AMAZING!

18 Beth January 31, 2013 at 12:19 pm

That scone looks fantastic! I’ll have to hunt around on the Interwebs for a recipe for something like that. It’s nice that you were able to relax and have some time with your friends. Coffee dates are the best.
Beth recently posted..Crazy Weather + Ghost GTX Mini-Review

19 Courtney January 31, 2013 at 12:25 pm

I thought I’d chime in, even though others have already mentioned it. Your hair looks super cute in that photo! πŸ™‚ I have baby-fine, stick-straight hair and I’m jealous of your volume and waves.
Courtney recently posted..Here’s to January 2013.

20 [email protected] January 31, 2013 at 1:07 pm

Now I want coffee. And a baked good! Ha.

I like the idea of a morning coffee date. Hmmmm.

The Kidless Kronicles
[email protected] recently posted..No longer a virgin

21 Cathy January 31, 2013 at 3:27 pm

Love your outfit and your hair looks super cute curly!

22 Katie January 31, 2013 at 4:03 pm

This might be a silly question…but do you usually wear “normal” aka non-workout clothes during the day? My assumption (which may be totally off) was that you hung out in workout gear during the day unless you have a business meeting or something. (no idea why I thought it, I just noticed you looked pretty dressed up)
Katie recently posted..#HLS13

23 Katie @ Talk Less, Say More January 31, 2013 at 5:01 pm

Love this idea! We have a group of ladies who meet every Wednesday morning for coffee as soon as we open. It’s their Wednesday ritual and helps keep them connected before their busy days take over.
Katie @ Talk Less, Say More recently posted..Choices

24 Mollie @ treasure your being January 31, 2013 at 5:09 pm

Your paleo scone looks yummy. A lot of the other bloggers I read have experimented a lot with paleo. Have you ever thought about trying it? What are your thoughts on the nutritional benefits it promotes?

25 Angela February 1, 2013 at 1:20 am

I love your hair!! So impressive that you made it out of the house at 7am looking that good! πŸ™‚
Angela recently posted..Throwback Thursday {take four}