The Maiden Ride

by Meghann on January 30, 2013

I took the B16 out for her first ride this evening.

20130130_173911.jpg

By the time we made it to the trail there was only about an hour or so of daylight left, so we kept it short. A simple 6 miles out and 6 miles back, no biggie.

The first 6 miles were amazing. I was easily holding an 18mph+ pace (which is HUGE for me) and immediately started wondering why the heck it took me so long to buy a tri bike. I mean, was this the big secret to everyone’s fast times? A tri bike was really all I needed to go faster? Who knew.

Then I turned around and realized I was wrong. It wasn’t the bike per se, more like the wind at my back. I didn’t even realize I had been enjoying an amazing tailwind the 6 miles out, unfortunately I didn’t miss the headwind on the way back. Curses. So long, speed!

Besides that sad realization, the ride was good. I’m still a little unstable on the light frame, but I just need a few more rides to build my confidence which should fix that. The good news is I was pretty comfortable in the aero position – there wasn’t any weird shooting pain, no soreness, and nothing felt awkward. We’ll see what happens when I got longer than 12 miles, but for a starting off point, I’d say that’s a good sign. πŸ™‚

Before my ride I made a pumpkin pie smoothie.

IMG_8080.jpg

• pumpkin
  • plain Chobani
  • vanilla whey protein
  • pumpkin spice
  • milk
  • ice

After, Derek and I made a stir fry for dinner.

Nothing complicated, just chicken with carrot, snap peas, and red onion cooked in a spicy AsianTrader Joe’s sauce, topped with green onion and sesame seeds, then served over brown rice.

IMG_8092.jpg

Easy, tasty, and filling – just as any weeknight dinner should be. πŸ™‚

We’re watching a mini marathon of Duck Dynasty on tv. That show cracks me up. Sure they have some crazy hair and crazy ideas, but I love that when it comes down to it, they’re just one big loving family and they’re confident that will never change.

Good Night!

1 [email protected] January 30, 2013 at 10:27 pm
2 katy @ just playing house January 30, 2013 at 10:34 pm

My fiancΓ© is hooked on duck dynasty, along with most of our friends. We may or may not have turned it into a drinking game last weekend. πŸ˜‰

Your stir fry looks delish!
katy @ just playing house recently posted..Dessert via Pinterest

3 Mrs. Swan January 30, 2013 at 11:10 pm

Subtract the rice and your dinner looks delish!
Glad your first ride on it was good. Any idea on the name yet?
Mrs. Swan recently posted..Day 30

4 [email protected] January 30, 2013 at 11:57 pm

Duck Dynasty is awesome. Especially uncle Sy!

The Kidless Kronicles

5 Angela January 31, 2013 at 1:28 am

I am excited to hear the new name… I think it should be a B name. Bianca, Bella, Beula? Hahaha not the best ideas on my part, but I’m sure you have better ones. πŸ™‚
Angela recently posted..The Bachelor [a recap]

6 Sara @ LovingOnTheRun January 31, 2013 at 7:47 am

Love your new bike!! I really wish I could do a triathalon but we just don’t have the money for everything involved including a bike which I don’t currently own! That looks like a beautiful bike though! Enjoy it and your training for your ironman!

7 carol January 31, 2013 at 7:52 am

Duck Dynasty is so funny …watched a marathon last weekend . How about Fiona or Franny Felt for a bike name ? Have a contest ! It would be fun to read all the suggestions !

8 Karen @ Runner Girl Eats January 31, 2013 at 9:11 am

I swear everyone is talking about that show! I need to see what all the hype is about lol
Karen @ Runner Girl Eats recently posted..New Years Resolutions: 1 month later

9 Katie @ Peace Love & Oats January 31, 2013 at 9:17 am

Haha I hate that when I’m on a run and feel great and then hit my turn around and realize I had the wind at my back and now have to run into it… But I’m glad you got to give your bike a try outside!
Katie @ Peace Love & Oats recently posted..Thursday Thoughts

10 Emily N January 31, 2013 at 9:38 am

Great start with the new bike!
Emily N recently posted..The Great Pregnancy SLOW DOWN

11 Lauren @ Eat Like An Elephant January 31, 2013 at 9:52 am

Sending this page with that smoothie to my mom as we speak, she would love a pumpkin pie smoothie!
Lauren @ Eat Like An Elephant recently posted..Recipe: Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free Baked Ziti

12 Kelli @ The Corner Kitchen January 31, 2013 at 10:00 am

Congrats on the new bike, it’s so awesome!! I got a B12 last year and absolutely love it. Hope you love your as much as I love mine πŸ™‚
Kelli @ The Corner Kitchen recently posted..Spiced Red Lentil Soup

13 Katie January 31, 2013 at 11:27 am

Duck Dynasty is one of our favorite shows! We had a DD marathon last Friday night. Such an exciting life!

14 Coco January 31, 2013 at 11:30 am

Yay! I’m glad your loving the new ride! Dinner looks YUM πŸ™‚

15 Jess January 31, 2013 at 12:50 pm

I’m just going to throw this out there.

I think you should keep “B-16” as the name. It sounds like a fighter jet or something else badass like that.

16 Sonia the Mexigarian January 31, 2013 at 1:13 pm

That does look like a sweet ride. Makes me want to dust off the old Ruby and take her for spin. πŸ™‚

Duck Dynasty is hilarious. I love the subtitles.
Sonia the Mexigarian recently posted..Banana Scramble Shorty

17 Kristen January 31, 2013 at 4:58 pm

That smoothie sounds amazing! Also I LOVE Duck Dynasty- that show cracks me up. Uncle Si is my fav followed closely by Jase.
Kristen recently posted..Proud to be ‘Murican

18 Sarah F February 4, 2013 at 7:35 am

Ha! I’m looking at the exact same bike. I was originally looking at this years and she’s black with purple, thus I had already named her Violet, but now I”m considering last years for the savings. Names haven’t come to me yet, but I think the bike may…. next week. Can’t wait to hear how you like it!
Sarah F recently posted..What Drives You?