The Maiden Ride

by Meghann on January 30, 2013

I took the B16 out for her first ride this evening.

By the time we made it to the trail there was only about an hour or so of daylight left, so we kept it short. A simple 6 miles out and 6 miles back, no biggie.

The first 6 miles were amazing. I was easily holding an 18mph+ pace (which is HUGE for me) and immediately started wondering why the heck it took me so long to buy a tri bike. I mean, was this the big secret to everyone’s fast times? A tri bike was really all I needed to go faster? Who knew.

Then I turned around and realized I was wrong. It wasn’t the bike per se, more like the wind at my back. I didn’t even realize I had been enjoying an amazing tailwind the 6 miles out, unfortunately I didn’t miss the headwind on the way back. Curses. So long, speed!

Besides that sad realization, the ride was good. I’m still a little unstable on the light frame, but I just need a few more rides to build my confidence which should fix that. The good news is I was pretty comfortable in the aero position – there wasn’t any weird shooting pain, no soreness, and nothing felt awkward. We’ll see what happens when I got longer than 12 miles, but for a starting off point, I’d say that’s a good sign. πŸ™‚

Before my ride I made a pumpkin pie smoothie.

• pumpkin
  • plain Chobani
  • vanilla whey protein
  • pumpkin spice
  • milk
  • ice

After, Derek and I made a stir fry for dinner.

Nothing complicated, just chicken with carrot, snap peas, and red onion cooked in a spicy AsianTrader Joe’s sauce, topped with green onion and sesame seeds, then served over brown rice.

Easy, tasty, and filling – just as any weeknight dinner should be. πŸ™‚

We’re watching a mini marathon of Duck Dynasty on tv. That show cracks me up. Sure they have some crazy hair and crazy ideas, but I love that when it comes down to it, they’re just one big loving family and they’re confident that will never change.

Good Night!

1 Rebecca@Running.Food.Baby. January 30, 2013 at 10:27 pm

Still haven’t catched Duck Dynasty yet – but everyone tells me that I should!

I need a road bike….I have a mtn bike and will not help during my tri in August!
Rebecca@Running.Food.Baby. recently posted..Wordless Wednesday

2 katy @ just playing house January 30, 2013 at 10:34 pm

My fiancΓ© is hooked on duck dynasty, along with most of our friends. We may or may not have turned it into a drinking game last weekend. πŸ˜‰

Your stir fry looks delish!
katy @ just playing house recently posted..Dessert via Pinterest

3 Mrs. Swan January 30, 2013 at 11:10 pm

Subtract the rice and your dinner looks delish!
Glad your first ride on it was good. Any idea on the name yet?
Mrs. Swan recently posted..Day 30

4 Nicole@TheKidlessKronicles January 30, 2013 at 11:57 pm

Duck Dynasty is awesome. Especially uncle Sy!

The Kidless Kronicles

5 Angela January 31, 2013 at 1:28 am

I am excited to hear the new name… I think it should be a B name. Bianca, Bella, Beula? Hahaha not the best ideas on my part, but I’m sure you have better ones. πŸ™‚
Angela recently posted..The Bachelor [a recap]

6 Sara @ LovingOnTheRun January 31, 2013 at 7:47 am

Love your new bike!! I really wish I could do a triathalon but we just don’t have the money for everything involved including a bike which I don’t currently own! That looks like a beautiful bike though! Enjoy it and your training for your ironman!

7 carol January 31, 2013 at 7:52 am

Duck Dynasty is so funny …watched a marathon last weekend . How about Fiona or Franny Felt for a bike name ? Have a contest ! It would be fun to read all the suggestions !

8 Karen @ Runner Girl Eats January 31, 2013 at 9:11 am

I swear everyone is talking about that show! I need to see what all the hype is about lol
Karen @ Runner Girl Eats recently posted..New Years Resolutions: 1 month later

9 Katie @ Peace Love & Oats January 31, 2013 at 9:17 am

Haha I hate that when I’m on a run and feel great and then hit my turn around and realize I had the wind at my back and now have to run into it… But I’m glad you got to give your bike a try outside!
Katie @ Peace Love & Oats recently posted..Thursday Thoughts

10 Emily N January 31, 2013 at 9:38 am

Great start with the new bike!
Emily N recently posted..The Great Pregnancy SLOW DOWN

11 Lauren @ Eat Like An Elephant January 31, 2013 at 9:52 am

Sending this page with that smoothie to my mom as we speak, she would love a pumpkin pie smoothie!
Lauren @ Eat Like An Elephant recently posted..Recipe: Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free Baked Ziti

12 Kelli @ The Corner Kitchen January 31, 2013 at 10:00 am

Congrats on the new bike, it’s so awesome!! I got a B12 last year and absolutely love it. Hope you love your as much as I love mine πŸ™‚
Kelli @ The Corner Kitchen recently posted..Spiced Red Lentil Soup

13 Katie January 31, 2013 at 11:27 am

Duck Dynasty is one of our favorite shows! We had a DD marathon last Friday night. Such an exciting life!

14 Coco January 31, 2013 at 11:30 am

Yay! I’m glad your loving the new ride! Dinner looks YUM πŸ™‚

15 Jess January 31, 2013 at 12:50 pm

I’m just going to throw this out there.

I think you should keep “B-16” as the name. It sounds like a fighter jet or something else badass like that.

16 Sonia the Mexigarian January 31, 2013 at 1:13 pm

That does look like a sweet ride. Makes me want to dust off the old Ruby and take her for spin. πŸ™‚

Duck Dynasty is hilarious. I love the subtitles.
Sonia the Mexigarian recently posted..Banana Scramble Shorty

17 Kristen January 31, 2013 at 4:58 pm

That smoothie sounds amazing! Also I LOVE Duck Dynasty- that show cracks me up. Uncle Si is my fav followed closely by Jase.
Kristen recently posted..Proud to be ‘Murican

18 Sarah F February 4, 2013 at 7:35 am

Ha! I’m looking at the exact same bike. I was originally looking at this years and she’s black with purple, thus I had already named her Violet, but now I”m considering last years for the savings. Names haven’t come to me yet, but I think the bike may…. next week. Can’t wait to hear how you like it!
Sarah F recently posted..What Drives You?