Pizza and Cars

by Meghann on January 30, 2013

Geniuses! You are all geniuses!

IMG_8066.jpg

Per your suggestions, I reheated the leftover flatbread/pizza from last night’s dinner on my pizza stone and it was fabulous.

I just preheated the oven to 500 with the pizza stone resting on the bottom shelf, then added the leftover flat bread and baked for three minutes. Three minutes was all it took for a crispy flatbread that was just as tasty as the night before. It was a little extra work to preheat the oven with the stone, but 100% worth it.

On the side I also had some edamame to round out the meal. The two went well together.

How do you re-heat your leftover pizza? Toaster oven? Microwave? Or do you eat it cold right from the fridge?

The Ford Escape

This past weekend I had the opportunity to test drive the 2013 Ford Escape courtesy of Southeast Ford and Elder Ford of Tampa.

20130127_152539.jpg

Recently Derek and I have been seriously discussing the possibility of upgrading to a larger vehicle, so the timing couldn’t have been better. We’re both currently driving tiny two-door Toyotas, which are great gas-friendly cars but they’re great cars that we’re starting to outgrow, especially with the possibility of expanding our family in the next couple of years. I love my car, but it gets old having to move the front chair to allow friends and family in the back. I hate having to go back there myself, so I always apologize in advance to any passengers I take on who have to squeeze through.

20130127_160819.jpg

The Escape is Ford’s “Green Car,” with a few cool environmentally friendly features.

• The carpet is made of 25 recycled plastic bottles
  • Seat and head restraints contain soy foam
  • The vehicle offers class-leading fuel economy (30% better fuel economy than standard gas engines with EcoBoost engine)
  • Climate control gasket made of 100% recycled tires

20130124_160059.jpg

In terms of space, the Escape was quite an upgrade from our tiny cars. I’ll admit it was really nice not having to call a friend or family member for assistance when we brought home our new ottoman on Saturday. There’s no way this baby would have fit in my car, but it slid in the Escape with ease.

box.jpg

It was also nice for bringing my bike to the trail. All I had to do was lower the backseat and the bike slid right in.

20130127_091215.jpg

20130127_110934.jpg

One day I’ll have to shoot a video of how I get my bike in the back of my two-door. According to my friends, it’s quite the sight to see. The only way I can get it to sit right is if I squeeze in the car with the bike and maneuver it from there myself. I can’t tell you how many funny looks I’ve gotten while repeating that process.

The fully loaded Escape came with a number of other great upgrade features as well, including an A/C plug in the back, a push start engine with keyless entry (it was nice to just leave the “key” in the purse and not have to dig for it when needing to unlock the vehicle), bluetooth, USB plugs to connect my iPod, rearview video, heated seats, and a navigation system.

20130124_155948.jpg 20130127_160757.jpg 20130127_133937.jpg IMG_7974.JPG IMG_7971.JPG 20130127_120734.jpg

To put it simply, I was basically spoiled for the weekend with all the extra features. Are they what really make a good car? Nope. But, damn they are pretty damn fun.

What makes a good car is how it rides and how it feels, and the Escape drove like a dream. Thanks to the EcoBoost engine, the Escape was quiet and softly prred like a gentle kitten when ever I started it. She was so quiet, I often questioned if I really turned her on. She also gave a smooth ride.

We returned the Escape on Sunday and it was sad to see her go. We’re still a good six months away from committing to an upgrade, but she sure was fun to drive while we had her. πŸ™‚

1 Jill (Lady Lazarus) January 30, 2013 at 2:37 pm

I reheat pizza in a frying pan on the stove top! Don’t even really need oil, just heat up the pan and put the pizza in and keeps the crust crispy and cooks through so the toppings get heated as well
Jill (Lady Lazarus) recently posted..a case of the mondays

2 Angela January 30, 2013 at 2:39 pm

My sister used to have an escape and loved it! Wasn’t that fancy though, I would love to see a video of your bike maneuvering!
Angela recently posted..The Bachelor [a recap]

3 Anne @ eatcleaneatreal January 30, 2013 at 2:45 pm

That car is SAHWEEET. I think larger vehicles are amazing….my CRV changed my life. So much more conducive to outdoor activities than my 2 door Honda accord was.
Anne @ eatcleaneatreal recently posted..Day 5: Breaking up with my body

4 Katie @ Peace Love & Oats January 30, 2013 at 2:46 pm

My parents got my little brother an older model of the Ford Escape, it’s a great car. And when it comes to pizza, if I am patient enough I’ll reheat in the oven, but more often than not it’s in the microwave!
Katie @ Peace Love & Oats recently posted..WIAW–Sunday Style

5 Kaitlyn January 30, 2013 at 2:49 pm

I have an ’05 Escape with 150,000 miles on it. My aunt just traded her ’04 in with 250,000 miles. It’s been good to me, but I think I am going to go back to a Subaru here in the next few months. The gas mileage on my Escape these days is terrible-10 miles to the gallon and apparently that is common in the mid 2000’s years.
Kaitlyn recently posted..Easy upper body workout

6 Anne Weber-Falk January 30, 2013 at 2:49 pm

When you decide on and get your new car get a bike rack too.

7 Anne Weber-Falk January 30, 2013 at 2:51 pm

Actually, you could look for a nice used rack right now. Make your life easier.

8 Natalie @ Free Range Human January 30, 2013 at 2:55 pm

I haven’t had an opportunity to drive the Escape, but I love the look of them. We’re actually looking at Ford’s new C-Max. It’s Ford’s answer to the Prius, but so much cuter!
Natalie @ Free Range Human recently posted..Are You Crazy?

9 [email protected] January 30, 2013 at 3:02 pm

I put my pizza on a pizza pan (has holes in the bottom ) and put it under the broiler.

The Kidless Kronicles
[email protected] recently posted..Recipe: Quick and Easy Banana Bread

10 Lauren @ Eat Like An Elephant January 30, 2013 at 3:06 pm

I definitely eat some of it cold straight from the fridge..or just put it in the microwave. It’s definitely not as good, but when I want pizza, I want pizza!
Lauren @ Eat Like An Elephant recently posted..Workout Wednesday: 30 Minute Treadmill Interval Workout

11 Annette @FitnessPerks January 30, 2013 at 3:12 pm

I reheat pizza in the toaster oven.

That does look like a nice ride!
Annette @FitnessPerks recently posted..TRY Something New

12 Gwen January 30, 2013 at 3:30 pm

IF you guys really like Toyota, check out the Highlander. I just upgraded myself from a Hyundai Elantra to the Highlander and I LOVE it. I can’t wait to get some kids and dogs in the back seats! It’s been AWESOME so far. Yes, a little more gas guzzle, but it’s worth it. xo
Gwen recently posted..Weekend Things

13 Liz January 30, 2013 at 3:31 pm

Just a note that the greenest car you can buy is a used one! Especially a used one that gets good gas mileage!

14 Kayla January 30, 2013 at 4:09 pm

My friend has the new Escape and LOVES it!
Kayla recently posted..Personal Bests

15 TorontoRunner January 30, 2013 at 4:43 pm

ooooh that pizza look so good!
if it’s for myself..I lazily just microwave it to reheat it. My parents do the oven though!
TorontoRunner recently posted..Hand on hip, tilt your head.

16 [email protected] January 30, 2013 at 5:26 pm

Always reheat pizza in the oven. πŸ™‚
[email protected] recently posted..My Disney Announcement

17 Katie @ Talk Less, Say More January 30, 2013 at 5:54 pm

What a fun opportunity to test drive the Escape! I can only imagine how nice it would be to start the car and let it warm up without having to go out into the cold first…at least for those of us not in FL. πŸ˜‰
Katie @ Talk Less, Say More recently posted..Stop. Press Play. Watch. (Eat?)

18 Karen @ Runner Girl Eats January 30, 2013 at 7:36 pm

I recently upgraded to a four door car from a 2 door Honda and loveeee the bigger car. We thought about an SUV but the price was sooo much better with the car and it has plenty of room πŸ™‚ and I am crazy about keyless start!!! I go days without ever looking for my key!
Karen @ Runner Girl Eats recently posted..Melon-holics Anonymous

19 Sara @ LovingOnTheRun January 30, 2013 at 7:43 pm

That looks like a great car!! I know I have a car and my husband had a Jeep and it always works out very nicely to have one of each in the family. My car always goes with us on long trips but when we need to take a lot or the weather is bad we are able to take the larger car. I highly recommend it!

20 BroccoliHut January 30, 2013 at 7:51 pm

Seth and I are in the same boat (er, car?) with getting a bigger car. I drive a Mini Cooper, which is such fun to drive and really a money-saver, and he drives a Toyota Corolla–so we almost always have to borrow someone’s car when we need to transport something large. Glad to hear the Ford Escape is a winner!
BroccoliHut recently posted..Homemade Applesauce {No Sugar Added!}

21 tiffany @dynamics of happy January 30, 2013 at 8:02 pm

hey meg, i just wanted to let you know, i was reading a blogger safety article and one thing they recommended was not revealing what type of car you drive! !! just wanted to let you know !
tiffany @dynamics of happy recently posted..swastika tattoos

22 Taylor B January 30, 2013 at 8:35 pm

I have been eyeing the Ford Escape for an upgrade in the future I agree that you just get to a point with a two door car where you need something bigger! Thanks for the review and the inside look. I’ve always dreamed of having a push-to-start car πŸ™‚
Taylor B recently posted..Sugar Pie, Honey Bunch

23 Becky @ runfundone January 30, 2013 at 9:20 pm

I’ve never heard of this pizza stone technique. It sounds like a good one!
Becky @ runfundone recently posted..Wholistic Health

24 Becky @ Olives n Wine January 30, 2013 at 9:49 pm

I always eat my pizza cold out of the fridge. SO tasty πŸ™‚ I will have to try this pizza stone technique though – I bet it keeps the crust nice and crispy!
Becky @ Olives n Wine recently posted..Push-Up Challenge – Week 1

25 Alli January 30, 2013 at 10:28 pm

Wanted to say TWSS the last 2 sentences of the second to last paragraph πŸ˜‰ lol looks like a sweet ride!

26 Barry Wright, III January 31, 2013 at 7:46 am

My former coworker has an Escape and loves it – I think you’ll get a ton of use out of it! As for pizza – I never reheat it, I love it cold (same for lasagna)!
Barry Wright, III recently posted..Stretch It

27 Jackie January 31, 2013 at 9:30 am

I test drove the Escape this weekend and loved it. Actually looking around right now for one in the color I want with all of the features I want!

28 Emily N January 31, 2013 at 11:09 am

I own an escape (2008) and seriously am IN LOVE with my car. Lots of people are fans of the honda or toyota, but NOT ME. I am a Ford girl forever.

(I admit, I grew up near Detroit and have lots of family/friends who work for GM, Ford, and Chrysler. This influences me a bit, I am sure.)
Emily N recently posted..The Great Pregnancy SLOW DOWN

29 Lauren January 31, 2013 at 11:23 am

It was finally time to to trade in my 12 year old Toyota and it took me forever to deice what to get but I finally deicded on the 2013 Escape. I’ve had it a few months now, and absolutely LOVE it! I don’t have the super fancy version you got to drive, but it still drive great and gets great gas mileage.

I would also recommend getting a bike rack :). They’re quite helpful :).

30 Sonia the Mexigarian January 31, 2013 at 12:26 pm

When/if I upgrade my car, and Erics horrible Chevy Trailblazer, the Ford Escape is definitely one of my top 3 choices to look into. It looks lovely and sounds like a great ride.
Sonia the Mexigarian recently posted..Banana Scramble Shorty