Hang ’em high

by Meghann on January 30, 2013

Happy Wednesday, everyone!

Lately we’ve been doing a lot of 3 RMs (rep max) and 5 RMs in CrossFit. Those are great and really have their place, but I can’t tell you how excited I was when I finally saw an opportunity for a 1 RM on the board today. I was itching to get down and dirty with some heavy weight and see what I could really do.

20130130_075911.jpg

Unfortunately the 1 RM was for a hang clean (curses!). Cleans are not my friends. Give me a pure press or squat and I’m a good, but anything that involves a clean and we’re suddenly enemies. I haven’t exactly grasped the right technique for a good clean yet, but I’m working on it. Luckily it was just a hang clean and nothing beyond that.

I was really surprised how good I felt through the warm up. I started with one of the light bars but quickly realized I could add a good amount of weight and still keep going. Once I passed the warm up (2-3×3) we had 4 sets of 1s. I was instructed to start at about 80% for my first, move to 90% for my second, max on the third, then try to push it a teeny bit further on the last.

The beauty of 1 RM attempts is they go fast and you get plenty of rest in between. The downside is you typically feel just as burnt out after 1 RM attempt as you do after 3-5 RM attempts. It’s crazy how 1 rep can you leave you feeling so hurt.

I felt like I was on fire… until I jumped from 70 lbs to 75 lbs. Man, those additional 5 lbs get me every time! I tried (trust me, I tried!), but I couldn’t get it. After a couple of attempts, I admitted defeat and called 70lbs as my official 1RM. I’m proud of that number, simply because I know that’s truly my 1RM max. Plus, I can only build from there, right?

The WOD that followed was pretty straightforward.

• 8 KB SDHP (I used 35lbs)
  • 12 Pistols (one legged squats <- killer!)
  • 24 DU or 60 singles (I went singles)
  • AMRAP in 12 minutes

A couple of notes here:

1. Pistols hurt! They’re one-legged squats where you have one leg pointing forward as you squat down. It doesn’t sound bad in theory, but once I was trying to get down, I realized how hard those suckers truly are. We were allowed to do certain variations, so I chose to do them while holding onto a bar. It also helped to switch off legs each time.
  2. I’m still no where near getting a double under. I’ve been practicing during warm ups for months and the most I’ve gotten is one at a time, never two. Le sigh.
  3. I’m really good at pushing myself when I’m *this close* to completing a set and time is running out. I even surprised myself today how much I was able to push myself in that fifth round and still have enough will to push out 9 kettle bell lifts before time was called.

20130130_075858.jpg

I made a killer breakfast afterwards.

Two eggs

BACON!

And a peach.

A delicious complete meal.

Have a great Wednesday!

1 Allison January 30, 2013 at 10:37 am

Love eggs for bfast!
Allison recently posted..Complete

2 Katie @ running4cupcakes January 30, 2013 at 10:49 am

So true. . . you can only continue to improve!!!
Katie @ running4cupcakes recently posted..Winter Carnival Half Marathon Recap 2013

3 Katie January 30, 2013 at 10:55 am

All your hard work at crossfit is paying off, I just looked at your wedding pictures and you look amazing and so tone!!

4 Maureen January 30, 2013 at 10:57 am

That peach looks so good! Keep up the good work with CF!
Maureen recently posted..What Doesn’t Kill Me Makes Me STRONGER

5 Paige @ Your Trainer Paige January 30, 2013 at 10:58 am

Ha! That’s how I felt on my bench press today. I feel like the tiny weights on the ends look like birds 😛 But, I’m just getting back into the lift, and you’re right – only going up from here!
Paige @ Your Trainer Paige recently posted..3 Ways to Use Up Leftover Carnitas, and Untraditional Meals {WIAW}

6 [email protected] January 30, 2013 at 11:32 am

Where did you find the peach? I am jealous!!!!!

The Kidless Kronicles
[email protected] recently posted..Dinner Redemption

7 Meghann January 30, 2013 at 11:48 am

They actually had some decent looking ones at Publix on Sunday at a good price. It definitely wasn’t local, but it was actually pretty tasty.

8 Samantha Angela January 30, 2013 at 11:35 am

Way to really push it for your 1RM Meghann!
I love doing heavy weights for few reps. I love the power I feel when I can pump out something really heavy.
Samantha Angela recently posted..Waist Goals Update 3

9 amyt January 30, 2013 at 11:45 am

5’s will get you every time!

10 Socal Rachel January 30, 2013 at 12:19 pm

I’m with you on the cleans, they are not my friend. My wrists were really sore the first time I did a bunch and I’ve hit my collar bone. Those pistols are killer.

Great job on your WOD!
Socal Rachel recently posted..Christmas Fun Run in Tutu’s

11 Annette @FitnessPerks January 30, 2013 at 12:22 pm

I looooveee eggs for b-fast too.

And I agree–when we KNOW how much time we have left (and it’s a short amount) or how many reps we have left, we work harder. It’s actually proven in research that we do this 😉
Annette @FitnessPerks recently posted..TRY Something New

12 sara @ fitcupcaker January 30, 2013 at 12:25 pm

yum, a peach sounds so good right now…and yours looks so fresh…I love crossfit, its just so expensive, so Im trying to figure out if I can afford it. Its such a good workout! Do you eat anything before crossfit?
sara @ fitcupcaker recently posted..Healthy Blueberry Muffin Bake

13 Meghann January 30, 2013 at 12:34 pm

Generally i have 1/2 a Clif Bar, that’s pretty standard before all my morning workouts.

14 Heather January 30, 2013 at 1:09 pm

Beast! you are rocking crossfit, way to go!

15 Lauren J @ The Barn January 30, 2013 at 1:28 pm

I’m officially on month three of Crossfit and I just worked up the courage to really work on determining some of my 1RM maxes. I got my power clean max, but was able to do the weight 2 reps on my deadlift so I know I need to revisit that max. I was so tired after working through that I didn’t know how on earth I was going to get through the WOD! But I did. Isn’t that the beauty of Crossfit haha!?
Lauren J @ The Barn recently posted..Skiing At Terry Peak

16 Courtney @ Journey of a Dreamer January 30, 2013 at 4:04 pm

OMG. i hate pistols. they make my butt hurt for like weeks. also double unders are tough! I got my own jump rope to practice at home. One of my goals this year is to RX a workout with Double Unders. Bring it on, Annie!
Courtney @ Journey of a Dreamer recently posted..Costa Rica White Water Rafting

17 Gianna January 30, 2013 at 4:27 pm

That peach looks just delicious! And good job on killing it in the workout! I love knowing that I did everything I could in one.
Gianna recently posted..ING Miami Marathon: Recap

18 Karen January 30, 2013 at 5:59 pm

Meghann… You are ROCKING CrossFit. I did it for 2 years… LOVED it… but then I got hurt… ugh.. Miss it. Do you have a thin Again Faster speed rope? It will get you to double unders really, really fast. If you don’t GET ONE… makes ALL the difference in DU!!
Karen recently posted..Keep the BOUNCE in YOUR STEP!!

19 Katie @ Talk Less, Say More January 30, 2013 at 6:15 pm

Oh man! That peach!! Who knew that’d be the thing that caught my attention tonight? 🙂
Katie @ Talk Less, Say More recently posted..Stop. Press Play. Watch. (Eat?)