Wedding: Getting Ready

by Meghann on January 29, 2013

See also:

As soon as our morning running buddies left, my bridesmaids and I quickly headed upstairs to shower and change into our robes.

The robes were such a fun idea. I’ve never been more comfortable waiting to get my hair and make up done.

We basically turned my parents’ back room into a makeshift salon for the day. There was a hair station on one side of the room and make-up on the other. It was extra relaxing having hair and makeup come to us and not having to worry about leaving the house. It was great since we had all this wonderful room to work with. Plus, we had full access to the kitchen, control over the music, and the dogs were there to keep us company.

The beautiful Hi-Leen had traveled to Titusville for our hair. She did my hair for my sister’s wedding, and I loved her so much that I hired her for my wedding too. She’s based in Orlando, but willing to travel for special occasions if you’re in the market for a hair person – I really can’t recommend her enough!

IMG_7232.JPG IMG_7235.JPG

One-by-one each girl took turns having her hair done with Hi-Leen. The majority of them had pinned a hair photo they loved and showed it to Hi-Leen for reference. She would study the photo then recreate the hairstyle based on the girl’s hair length and texture. All of the girls looked gorgeous.

IMG_7320.jpg IMG_7321.jpg

Allison did our make-up. She’s based in Titusville and is the biggest sweetheart. We first met when Allison was hired to do the make-up for my sister-in-law’s wedding, then my sister hired her as well. This was her third wedding with us, which was nice since she already knew the basics of what type of skin we had, what works best with our coloring, and how bold we’re willing to go.

MeghannDerek0055.jpg

MeghannDerek0056.jpg

Throughout the day there was one BIG rule: no one was allowed the mention the weather. It was GORGEOUS outside and WARM! The day before it had been rainy and cold and the forecast was predicting the same cold and rainy weather would move in around 3:00. I was afraid if we discussed the amazing weather enough that we would jinx it and it would go away as the weatherman predicted. But if we didn’t talk about it, maybe it would stick around. Hey, you never know!

Just before noon my brother-in-law arrived with treats in hand!

My sister had sent him to Starbucks to pick up some bridal party drinks. Love it!

IMG_7297.JPG IMG_7298.JPG

Generally the bride gets her make-up and hair done last, but do you know how nerve wracking it is waiting around all day? All the energy I had worked off on the run was coming back and I was talking a mile a minute and taking Maddie for multiple walks trying to calm myself down. The nerves were starting to kick in too. I wasn’t nervous about marrying Derek, but I was nervous about keeping to the timeline and how the set-up at the barn was going. I had spent months planning every detail over the wedding, and now it was completely out of my control. It was such a weird feeling.

I wasn’t allowed to talk to Derek, but I did get updates. He had spent the morning playing golf with friends and family and was supposed to start getting ready at my brother’s house around 12:30. We wanted to make sure the boys were on time so we told them to meet us at the venue 15 minutes earlier than they needed to just in case they were running late.

I felt like the morning dragged on a little with anticipation, but as soon as it was my turn to start really getting ready, time started speeding by.

I was getting hungry at this point so my amazing bridesmaids made me a plate of carrot sticks, tortilla chips, and hummus to munch on while I was getting my make-up done.

IMG_7325.jpg IMG_7322.jpg

Then it was time for hair.

MeghannDerek0015.jpg MeghannDerek0019.jpg

And that’s when the photographer and videographer arrived.

MeghannDerek0035.jpg

It’s funny how peaceful these photos look because we were definitely getting down to the wire with time and it felt like everything was moving so fast at this point.

MeghannDerek0040.jpg

MeghannDerek0046.jpg

My mom was already starting to get teary, which meant I was starting to get teary, too.

MeghannDerek0050.jpg

MeghannDerek0058.jpg

MeghannDerek0063.jpg

With our hair and make-up done, it was time to get dressed!

MeghannDerek0006.jpg

I had originally planned to wear the cardigan for the reception, but it ended up being too warm. I’m sad I forgot to throw it one for a photo or two, though.

MeghannDerek0071.jpg MeghannDerek0078.jpg

MeghannDerek0080.jpg

MeghannDerek0082.jpg

Unfortunately my photographer missed the girdle cutting. That would have been epic to capture. I wonder if my videographer got that on film?

MeghannDerek0084.jpg MeghannDerek0086.jpg

My mom helped pin the piece of the veil that she wore with a white dress thirty years ago.

MeghannDerek0090.jpg

MeghannDerek0099.jpg

And the big reveal.

MeghannWedding3.jpg

There are no words to describe the great rush of emotion that comes over you the first time you see yourself as a bride. All the dreaming, the planning, the wondering, and this is it. You’re a bride. You get to marry the man of your dreams and live happily ever after. It’s not the end of fairy tale, it’s simply another chapter, a new beginning.

MeghannDerek0097.jpg

My mom helped clasp the bracelet that my dad had given her years ago and was my “something borrowed.”

MeghannDerek0102.jpg

MeghannDerek0101.jpg

The snowflake necklace was a high school gift from my parents.

MeghannDerek0105.jpg

Kelly helped with the FSU garters.

MeghannDerek0107.jpg

MeghannDerek0108.jpg

And my feet were placed in their shimmery gold heels.

MeghannDerek0110.jpg

The transformation was officially complete.

MeghannDerek0111.jpg

Team bride was ready to roll!

MeghannDerek0113.jpg

MeghannDerek0115.jpg

We were all set to leave the house when I remembered my vows were in a notebook on the table. I grabbed the book and quickly ripped the page out. I folded my handwritten vows and gave them to my sister for safe keeping. Kelly was in charge of the vows and Ashley was in charge of the wedding license – apparently I couldn’t be trusted with either.

MeghannDerek0119.jpg

The shuttle company we hired was amazing. They arrived early to pick us up from the house and the bus driver was as sweet as could be.

MeghannDerek0123.jpg

The shuttle itself was amazing as well. Who needs a limo when you have a 25 passenger bus you can move around in?!?

MeghannDerek0129.jpg

MeghannDerek0126.jpg

MeghannDerek0130.jpg

The driver dropped us off at the venue, then headed to the hotel to start shuttling wedding guests to the site. My photographer and I were actually let out on a dirt road right before the barn for a special surprise.

MeghannDerek0148.jpg MeghannDerek0152.jpg

The moment I had been looking forward to all day was almost here… the first look was just minutes away!

Photo credits: Jessica Wuller and Andrea Hubbell Photography

*Other wedding-related posts can be found here*

1 joelle (on a pink typewriter) January 29, 2013 at 1:43 pm

That second photo is a framer!!

2 Katie @ Peace Love and Oats January 29, 2013 at 2:08 pm

These photos are so beautiful, Meghann! And you look so happy and radiant! I can’t wait to see the rest!
Katie @ Peace Love and Oats recently posted..I Need Your Help! Survey for YOU!

3 katy @ just playing house January 29, 2013 at 2:16 pm

Such a cute post! Bet you’re super excited to have your pictures back!

I’m loving the spa robe idea for the bridesmaids! Definitely something that they’ll use again and you all look so comfortable. I’m checking into them for my girls now… πŸ™‚
katy @ just playing house recently posted..26th Wishlist

4 Alicia January 29, 2013 at 2:22 pm

LOVE These pictures!! hat a beautiful bride!
Alicia recently posted..Franklin Roosevelt & Sonic

5 Maureen January 29, 2013 at 2:22 pm

The picture of you seeing how you looked all done up totally had me in tears. I remember that feeling very well! πŸ™‚
Maureen recently posted..Thankful

6 Annette @FitnessPerks January 29, 2013 at 3:08 pm

Oh these are gorgeous photos. You look so radiant. Congrats!!

7 Anne @ eatcleaneatreal January 29, 2013 at 3:55 pm

So fun! Im so happy you had such a great day!
Anne @ eatcleaneatreal recently posted..Days 3 and 4: Craving salad!

8 Lauren @ Eat Like An Elephant January 29, 2013 at 3:55 pm

Your pictures look amazing! I can’t wait to see the rest! I so wish I had taken that “moment” you were talking about to really look at myself as a bride all done up before my own wedding. There was so much chaos and I felt way too rushed to ever really have that moment until after the wedding as I was about to take the dress OFF! But I guess better late than never πŸ™‚
Lauren @ Eat Like An Elephant recently posted..The Healthy Protein Smoothie

9 Bethany @ Accidental Intentions January 29, 2013 at 4:07 pm

Ahhh Meghann this is so wonderful! Your pictures are beautiful and YOU are STUNNING stunning stunning. I can’t wait to hear more about the day and see even more pictures!
Bethany @ Accidental Intentions recently posted..Volunteering the F^3 Lake Half

10 Jessica January 29, 2013 at 4:21 pm

It looks like the photographer did a fab job of not getting Ryan and I in your photos so far — that’s awesome! We were worried haha.
Jessica recently posted..Meghann & Derek’s Beautiful Wedding

11 Amanda January 29, 2013 at 4:59 pm

I’m so excited for the rest of your wedding posts! Stuff like this makes me feel all warm and fuzzy πŸ™‚
Amanda recently posted..A Short Weekend and a Stuffy Nose

12 Reenie January 29, 2013 at 5:13 pm

Ahhhh…. you cut off right when it was getting good. HA!! I’ve told you before, but I absolutely love the pic of you when you see yourself in the mirror. πŸ™‚ Everyone looked gorgeous.

13 Sabrina January 29, 2013 at 6:02 pm

I love weddings! Anxiously awaiting the rest of your story!
Sabrina recently posted..Internships and Separation

14 Courtney January 29, 2013 at 6:26 pm

Omg, I’m getting all flubbery and teary eyed over here! You’re gorgeous and wow, what a day! What a day. A fairy tale … So happy for you two!
Courtney recently posted..My Omega Swirl Brings All the Boys to the Yard

15 Anne January 29, 2013 at 6:31 pm

Yay!!! Love the recaps, keep them coming! πŸ™‚
Anne recently posted..January Sponsor Shout Out

16 Natalie @ Free Range Human January 29, 2013 at 6:43 pm

These are such great pictures. I love your dress!
Natalie @ Free Range Human recently posted..Are You Crazy?

17 [email protected] January 29, 2013 at 7:09 pm

Love love love the wedding photos. Cant wait to see more! PS-I guess Ive missed this along the way but where did your attachment to snowflakes start? I noticed the tattoo and then the necklace and of course the theme. Just curious where it all started!
[email protected] recently posted..Healthy Copycat Recipe: Panera Inspired Chicken Tortilla Soup

18 Meghann January 29, 2013 at 9:51 pm

It started when I was a little girl. I fell in love with snowflake decorations during Christmas time and hated that they had to be put away afterwards, so I used to keep them in my room all year and it sort of grew from there. I just always thought that they were gorgeous and loved the idea that no two snowflakes are the same, just like no two people are ever the same. I got the snowflake tattoo when I was a sophomore in college.

19 [email protected] January 30, 2013 at 6:57 am

Thats sweet. πŸ™‚
[email protected] recently posted..The ONLY Good Excuse to Skip Out on Yoga

20 Angela January 29, 2013 at 8:06 pm

I love this post! I teared up a bit reading it. Weddings are just so great and always make you reflect on your own and how you felt during all this. πŸ™‚ I absolutely love the last pics! Gorgeous!
Angela recently posted..The Bachelor [a recap]

21 Erica January 29, 2013 at 8:22 pm

I’m obsessed with your hair! SO beautiful πŸ™‚
Erica recently posted..My First Baby

22 KA January 29, 2013 at 8:50 pm

Great photos! (Who let in the Florida Gators banner, though? ;-)) But in all seriousness, you look gorgeous and more importantly, so incredibly and unbelievably happy. I’m in the midst of planning my wedding, so seeing these recaps is so exciting and a nice reminder that all the planning WILL come together!

23 KA January 29, 2013 at 8:51 pm

There was supposed to be a winking smiley face after the Gators question — I was totally just teasing as a fellow ACC school alum! πŸ™‚

24 Sara @ LovingOnTheRun January 29, 2013 at 8:52 pm

Your pictures are absolutely beautiful! It’s almost 2 years out form my wedding and I still go back and look at the pictures – I am still in love with them to this day!

25 Anna January 29, 2013 at 11:51 pm

You really look like Jennifer Lawrence in these pictures- absolutely stunning!

26 Army Amy* January 30, 2013 at 9:10 am

I love seeing the tender moments between you and your mom! It makes me think of my mom helping me get ready on my wedding day!*
Army Amy* recently posted..5 Positive Things

27 Erin @ A Girl & Her Mutt January 30, 2013 at 9:18 am

These are just lovely photos! The robes were a great idea and always come in handy to use in the future. The perfect gift!
Erin @ A Girl & Her Mutt recently posted..Recap: Sun Winefest 2013

28 Karen @ Runner Girl Eats January 30, 2013 at 9:55 am

Aw the pics look great! Can’t wait to see more:)
Karen @ Runner Girl Eats recently posted..Wake me up Wednesday

29 Emily N January 30, 2013 at 1:24 pm

I am very excited to see that “omg. i am a BRIDE” look on your face. I don’t think I ever got that. I was EXTREMELY stoic until AFTER I was a Mrs. I don’t know why, but I was just NOT emotional. Maybe I didn’t want to smudge my makeup? I mean, I look at pictures and I definitely looked amazing, but … something weird, I guess?

So anyway, I am REALLY glad to see how happy you look seeing yourself once everything was all together, you look absolutely awesome.
Emily N recently posted..Dinner FAIL

30 Caitlin January 31, 2013 at 4:13 pm

OMG the FSU garter is SO cute! If my dad was a woman (weird comment) he would have had a UTenn garter for sure haha. He is obsessed! I have to give my sis that idea for when she gets married someday. I myself didn’t have much school spirit, up north there isn’t too much, but she’s in the SEC.
Bridal Starbucks drinks are sooo necessary. I try to go local whenever I can but I think even I would do Starbucks while I got ready for my wedding. Just to see the “Bride” and “Bridesmaids” cups!
Caitlin recently posted..One Lovely Blog Award!

31 Haley February 1, 2013 at 2:34 pm

Meghann
Where are the robes you all are wearing from? My sister is getting married this year and I would love to do something similar!