A Brand New Ride

by Meghann on January 29, 2013

Move over Blue, mama’s got a brand new ride.

484848_10102664865824373_1329593509_n.jpg

I bought my current bike, Blue, four years ago this month (check out the old post from the archives!). I knew even less about bikes then than I do now, but I did know I wanted some sort of road bike to get me through an upcoming triathlon I had registered for. Not wanting to spend a lot of money, my dad found someone who built road bikes in their garage and was selling them for cheap on Craigslist. My dad was able to strike a deal and Blue was all mine.

DSCN2098.JPG

Blue and I had a great run. She was a great beginner bike that carried me through a handful of triathlons and 70.3s. She was easy to ride, light to carry, and never gave me any major issues. She was a great road bike, but the time had come to move on to bigger and better things. With training for Ironman Florida looming in the not-so-distance future, it was time to upgrade to a lighter triathlon bike that I knew would carry me through 112 miles comfortably.

So long, Blue.

I wouldn’t worry too much about Blue, she’s already been promised to making an certain wannabe athlete’s triathlon dreams come true. πŸ˜‰

My friend Chris and I spent Sunday afternoon shopping for the bike that would hopefully help make me an Ironman. Chris knows what he’s doing (I do not) and was able to strike up a pretty good deal for a 2012 Felt B16 at Flying Fish, a local bike store in town. They didn’t have my particular size in the store we were in, but they could get it by Tuesday when the female fit specialist would be there. We left Sunday with plans to return Tuesday to talk to the specialist and hopefully come home with a bike.

20130127_140349.jpg

When I showed up at the store this afternoon I had Blue and the rest of bike gear in hand. I met Sam (who was proudly supporting FSU apparel – Go Noles) and we discussed my previous cycling experience and plans for the future. The Flying Fish staff took ole Blue and immediately started measuring and adjusting. They made some initial adjustments to the B16 based on where Blue was and moved my pedals so I could clip in on the B16.

20130129_144530.jpg

Sam initially was leading me outside to test the bike, but when I told her I had never ridden a TT bike before (or had even written in aerobar position), she gave me a quick lesson on the trainer (smart decision). The TT aerobar setup is a lot different than a road bike. For starters, the gear shifters are at the ends of the aerobars, but the breaks are still on the handles. You’re body is also shifted forward and you’re steering the bike more with your elbows than your hands.

20130129_145452.jpg

I rode the trainer for a bit and Mike took some measurements and made other adjustments to get the right fit.

20130129_150231.jpg

He was a wealth of knowledge on what degree your body should be at every angle and how you should feel. In the aero position you want your body to sort of drape over the handles as naturally as possible and your upper body should feel relaxed as your legs do all the heavy work.

20130129_150313.jpg

Once he got a good fit, I took the B16 (I really need to name her – any ideas?) outside for a few laps of the parking lot. I couldn’t believe how light and smooth she felt – there really was a huge difference between her and Blue, I just wish I had more space to really take her for a long ride. Unfortunately it was rush hour and I didn’t trust myself riding in aero position for the first time on crowded roads. I was too new to the concept and felt shaky.

They had a couple of other bikes set aside to try, but I was pretty much sold on the Felt B16 the second I sat on it. We had sort of bonded on the trainer and in the parking lot and I couldn’t imagine going home without her. So I handed over my credit card and bought my new friend. Steal of a deal or not, it still hurt a little inside to sign a piece of paper for that high of a number. However, it will be worth it come November… I hope.

20130129_153100.jpg

I can’t wait to take her out for a spin on the trail! As I get used to the position, I was instructed not to go longer than 20 miles for the first two weeks. After that I’ll bring her back in for a full fitting (and possibly a new seat).

What better way to celebrate a new triathlon bike than hanging out with a group of triathlon nerds?

I love this crazy group. πŸ™‚

Okay, we weren’t really celebrating the new bike. We had more important things to toast to, like Stephanie entering a new age group!

Stephanie is officially thirty, flirty, and thriving! She’s pretty epically fabulous as well. πŸ™‚

We met at Boca for drinks and dinner and Stephanie inspired my drink decision. (I stole a sip of hers and fell in love).

8a3446f46a7611e2984f22000a1fb895_7.jpg

If you ever go to Boca, please order The Nelly. It’s so refreshing and fabulous.

The table started with a mix of appetizers.

And I ordered the Nor Cal Flatbread (chicken, artichokes, goat cheese, and spinach) for dinner.

Yum.

Happy Birthday, Steph!

IMG_8044.jpg IMG_8048.jpg IMG_8049.jpg

May all your birthday wishes come true! πŸ™‚

1 Sabrina January 29, 2013 at 11:22 pm

Congrats on your new bike! Maybe you’ll be inspired to name the new bike on an upcoming ride!
Sabrina recently posted..Climbing Everest

2 Sarah January 29, 2013 at 11:26 pm

Sweet!! πŸ˜€ i got lucky when i bought my bike because the band director that i work for was selling his and he’s short so it was perfect size and only $350. πŸ™‚
Sarah recently posted..Noodle arms

3 Steph January 29, 2013 at 11:31 pm

Congrats!!! B16 sounds like a fighter jet! You could name it Goose or Maverick! <—- Top Gun nerd, right here.
Steph recently posted..Mom’s KitchenAid

4 Reenie January 30, 2013 at 7:41 am

That’s cute Steph. I was thinking B16 Bomber!!

5 Lindsay January 30, 2013 at 12:57 am

Yeaaa Tito’s Vodka is where it’s at!

6 Mrs. Swan January 30, 2013 at 1:18 am

I think this one should be a masculine name. Good luck on the naming! πŸ™‚
Mrs. Swan recently posted..Day 30

7 Angela January 30, 2013 at 1:36 am

How exciting!!! I also love the dress you’re wearing at the party! πŸ™‚ so cute
Angela recently posted..The Bachelor [a recap]

8 TorontoRunner January 30, 2013 at 2:37 am

ooooooooooooh how exciting!! I get overly excited for compression socks or shoes, hahaha so, a new bike – this is GREAT!
TorontoRunner recently posted..Hand on hip, tilt your head.

9 [email protected] January 30, 2013 at 6:55 am

My husband is an avid cyclist road/off road you name it….so I know just how much those new bike purchases sting the wallet! Luckily that will last you a LONG time! Congrats on the new ride!
[email protected] recently posted..The ONLY Good Excuse to Skip Out on Yoga

10 Sara @ Fitcupcaker January 30, 2013 at 7:49 am

All this bike shopping is making me jealous girl!! I can’t wait until its warm to get mine out!! I love going on trails to see all the scenery!
Sara @ Fitcupcaker recently posted..Healthy Blueberry Muffin Bake

11 [email protected] January 30, 2013 at 7:54 am

Isn’t it crazy that we now get excited about a new AG? I find it hysterical, but can’t wait to hit the 40 AG in May.

The Kidless Kronicles
[email protected] recently posted..Repeats

12 [email protected] January 30, 2013 at 7:56 am

Isn’t it crazy funny that we get excited about a new AG? I switch in May and in can’t wait!

The Kidless Kronicles
[email protected] recently posted..Repeats

13 Crissy January 30, 2013 at 8:57 am

Nice ride! I am suggesting Lola. πŸ™‚
Crissy recently posted..Thriving Thursdays – Fit Technology

14 Meghann January 30, 2013 at 9:15 am

I like it. Very nice.

15 Katie @ Peace Love & Oats January 30, 2013 at 9:16 am

What a fun dinner! And congrats on the bike! I like to name things after characters from favorite stories or movies. My goldfish is Neville from Harry Potter! (I felt they had similar personalities). And I’ve always had problems with bikes because I feel like I’m hurting my back bending over like that, maybe I just got to used to my beach cruiser in college? (all the rage in Charleston…).
Katie @ Peace Love & Oats recently posted..WIAW–Sunday Style

16 Sarah @ Blonde Bostonian January 30, 2013 at 9:18 am

How exciting! I’m a big fan of naming bikes, cars, etc. My car in high school was such a beast. I rode horses and competed, so it hauled a lot of equipment 24/7 and smelled like farm and leather. My sister and I called her Big Bertha. haha
Sarah @ Blonde Bostonian recently posted..WIAW #41: Chobani Love {What I Ate Wednesday}

17 Victoria (District Chocoholic) January 30, 2013 at 9:21 am

Welcome to team Felt!
Victoria (District Chocoholic) recently posted..Cocova January Sample Day

18 Jess January 30, 2013 at 9:28 am

I <3 the 13 Going On 30 reference πŸ™‚

19 Meghann January 30, 2013 at 9:29 am

We need to have a chick flick night and watch that movie!

20 Meghan @ After the Ivy League January 30, 2013 at 9:31 am

Congrats on the new bike!! So exciting, it’ll definitely take you through your Ironman!!
Meghan @ After the Ivy League recently posted..WIAW #19: On the Weekends

21 Natalie @ Free Range Human January 30, 2013 at 9:32 am

Congrats on the new bike! That’s exciting! I fell in love with biking as soon as I saw mine. I can’t wait for the weather to get better so I can jump back on mine.
Natalie @ Free Range Human recently posted..Are You Crazy?

22 Anne @ eatcleaneatreal January 30, 2013 at 9:38 am

Congrats! Thats an awesome bike. A few of my triathlon friends have that brand and they rave about it. ENJOY πŸ™‚
Anne @ eatcleaneatreal recently posted..Day 5: Breaking up with my body

23 Courtney @ Journey of a Dreamer January 30, 2013 at 9:44 am

I say you name it Fran (CrossFit Humor!)

Yay for new toys!
Courtney @ Journey of a Dreamer recently posted..#STLBloggers Meet Up: Ces & Judy’s Catering

24 Sarah January 30, 2013 at 9:47 am

You should name your new bike Betty. Here is why I think that: you have already called it a “her” so she needs a girls name (or at least one that could sound like a girls name). You also were calling her B16, which reminded me of the old school B52 bombers. What is an old school girls name: Betty. Obvousily you can name her whatever you feel fits her, but that just my 2 cents

Also congrats on the new bike, I hope she treats you well through all your training and racing. πŸ™‚
Sarah recently posted..5k recap

25 Kelly January 30, 2013 at 9:47 am

Oh my word, I remember reading the original post about blue- I can’t believe that was 4 years ago!!!

26 Jessica January 30, 2013 at 9:50 am

I love your dress! Where is it from?

27 Meghann January 30, 2013 at 9:58 am

It’s from the Loft. I bought it over the summer.

28 Jillian January 30, 2013 at 10:05 am

I have read your blog off and on for a long time. Until now, someone usually comments with something I would have commented with before I get a chance. But so far, no one has asked, and I am curious…

Are you worried about riding aero for 112 miles (as you will need to for a flat IM) when you have never done so before?

29 Meghann January 30, 2013 at 10:09 am

I’m not worried, only because I still have 10 months to train for it. Before my IM, I will (hopefully!) have completed 2 100 miles rides in aero position. I’d be worried if my IM was next month, but I’m confident that I still have plenty of time to train in the aero position before IM time. πŸ™‚

30 Lauren @ Eat Like An Elephant January 30, 2013 at 10:10 am

I know nothing about bikes, but now all I can think about is The Flying Fish restaurant in Disney World and their aaamazing asian style calamari… And now I’m hungry.
Lauren @ Eat Like An Elephant recently posted..Workout Wednesday: 30 Minute Treadmill Interval Workout

31 Ali January 30, 2013 at 11:02 am

Congrats on your new bike, she looks awesome!!! I’d be curious to know how you decided on a Tri bike vs. a new road bike w/aerobars for your new bike? I know everyone has different opinions so I’m interested in yours. (For reference, I’m doing IMWI this year, & my bike friends steered me towards a road bike). It seems like it depends on what kind of background they have biking vs Tri! πŸ™‚ You’ll love your aerobars for long rides though! They are great!

32 Meghann January 30, 2013 at 11:39 am

That’s a good question. Honestly, I think I was just ready for a change. I agree that you don’t need a tri bike to complete a triathlon (or even an Ironman), but I figured if I was going to spend all this money and put all this effort in training, I wanted to get a tri bike that was specifically designed for this type of race. All of my teammates race with tri bikes and they really recommended it. Plus, as soon as I hopped on it, I could feel the difference. Did you test ride an tri bikes or just go with the road?

33 Emily N January 30, 2013 at 11:29 am

Congrats on your new bike! That’s on my list for the year, although it may need to shift down a bit…

those fries look so amazing.
Emily N recently posted..Dinner FAIL

34 Colleen L January 30, 2013 at 11:35 am

Congrats on the new bike!! I’ve had a Felt for 10 years (bought it w/ my high school graduation money, ahh I’m getting old!), so it’s old and way more entry level than yours but I absolutely love it. Good luck getting ready for your IM!
Colleen L recently posted..A Pizza Kind of Weekend

35 Sonia the Mexigarian January 30, 2013 at 12:05 pm

How about Bettie? Congrats on the new bike. Looks like it it will be a sweet ride.

BTW, what kind of trainer do you have? I want to set my bike up at home on one. . .
Sonia the Mexigarian recently posted..Stick to It

36 skinnyrunner January 30, 2013 at 2:37 pm

congrats on the new bike! i dont know anything about bikes, but it looks supernice!

37 Katie @ Talk Less, Say More January 30, 2013 at 8:15 pm

Congrats on the new ride! P.S. Still LOVING your short hair!
Katie @ Talk Less, Say More recently posted..Stop. Press Play. Watch. (Eat?)

38 Steph @321delish January 30, 2013 at 8:42 pm

Thanks for a FABULOUS birthday!!

39 Emily January 31, 2013 at 9:25 am

Congratulations on the new bike! What a beauty! I’m a fairly new runner/hopefully-eventual-triathlete, and also a newlywed, just like you guys. I’d love to hear more about how you and Derek budget for race fees, gear, and that stuff, because I am dying to do more races and definitely upgrade my gear, but my husband, who is not into those sports, disagrees with spending so much money on that kind of stuff – his reasoning is that he would rather spend it on things we could do together, which I completely get. And those race fees can get so pricey! =(

Anyways, would love to hear about how another fellow newlywed handles those kinds of issues – can’t wait to hear more about IM training!

40 Meghann January 31, 2013 at 1:18 pm

That’s a hard question to answer. Right now Derek and I both set aside a certain amount each month for “fun” money that we can spend however we want or save for a splurge purchase. It’s great because neither of us can really question the other on those “fun” purchases. Also, as much as we love each other and love spending time with each other, we are also two independent individuals with different interests. He loves playing golf, I like running. And though it’s fun to join in on the other’s fun on occasion, it’s also nice to have that “me” time.

41 Ali February 1, 2013 at 10:59 am

Yes, I tried a couple Tri bikes, but for me, it came down to the flexibility of a road bike. It’s a lot hillier here, & IMWI is a hilly technical course so a road bike makes sense. I often ride my bike a couple of miles to the trails to ride, & I didn’t think I would be comfortable doing that with a Tri bike. Also, here you need a road bike to do group rides, & I couldn’t afford 2 bikes! I’m so glad you are liking your bike, if it gets you riding more, that’s what’s important.