more ยป" />

Quinoa and Bacon

by Meghann on January 28, 2013

I tried something new in the kitchen this evening.

Quinoa with bacon, eggs, and veggies.

IMG_8006.JPG IMG_8008.JPG

Seasoned with salt and pepper, then spiced it up with some sriracha.

I really liked the idea, but it was definitely missing some sort of sauce to tie it all together. I’m thinking something sweet based with orange juice or jelly could do the trick. I’ll have to try that next time.

But, really, you can’t go wrong with anything with bacon, right? ;)

r

1 Megan January 28, 2013 at 9:48 pm

My something new was kinnnnnd of similar. Cooked ramen with a teensy bit of the seasoning, 1/2 cup of peas and two runny eggs. It was surprisingly tasty! Bacon would have been a nice addition.

2 Tracy January 28, 2013 at 9:55 pm

Looks interesting! How about some Franks Red Hot Sauce?

3 MrsSwan January 28, 2013 at 9:56 pm

I have never tried quinoa but that looks yummy. I have had a bag in the pantry forever but the whole rinsing bitter thing intimidates me.
MrsSwan recently posted..Day 28

4 Anne @ eatcleaneatreal January 28, 2013 at 10:04 pm

I love quinoa mixed with eggs. You can also try quinoa fried rice! Super yummy!
Anne @ eatcleaneatreal recently posted..Days 3 and 4: Craving salad!

5 Katie Cummings January 28, 2013 at 10:49 pm

That’s what I was going to suggest!

6 amyt January 30, 2013 at 12:21 pm

quinoa fried rice is delish….I love it!

7 Betsy January 28, 2013 at 10:24 pm

INTERESTING.

8 Allison January 28, 2013 at 10:29 pm

Sounds delish! Similar to fried rice but a healthier version. Maybe add some soy sauce next time?

9 Kimberly January 28, 2013 at 10:35 pm

Anything is better with bacon. That’s a given!

10 christine January 28, 2013 at 10:43 pm

try a poached egg instead of scrambled next time….there’s your sauce!

11 Meredith @ The Coupon Bride January 28, 2013 at 10:46 pm

Oooh, bacon is great with anything! And that looks like a yummy take on fried rice. I might just throw a little hot sauce on there…mmm!
Meredith @ The Coupon Bride recently posted..The search for gray dresses

12 Valerie January 28, 2013 at 11:11 pm

It sort of sounds like you made quinoa fried rice–I bet some oyster sauce would be great in that dish!

13 Jean January 28, 2013 at 11:32 pm

So sort of an American-Asian fusion-y stir fry, then! That actually looks ridiculously good.

14 Angela January 29, 2013 at 12:23 am

I agree, usually anything with bacon is excellent in my book. :)
Angela recently posted..Blessed.

15 Danielle @ itsaharleyyylife January 29, 2013 at 5:31 am

mmm bacon! I have been hooked ever since I decided eating it everyday isn’t a problem… I mean that’s what CrossFit/Paleo diet says right?! (:

16 Elizabeth- My Neon Running Shoes January 29, 2013 at 7:57 am

Looks great! I have added turkey sausage to quinoa but not bacon! Thanks for the idea.
Elizabeth- My Neon Running Shoes recently posted..Slaughter luck and delicious pizza

17 Charlie (The Runner Beans) January 29, 2013 at 8:13 am

you could make it into sort of an ‘egg fried rice’ style with soy sauce, peas, bok choi, sweet chilli sauce. I think the quinoa would work great in place of the rice!

18 Sara @ fitcupcaker January 29, 2013 at 8:38 am

Anything with bacon is good! And I love quinoa so it sounds like a great combo!
Sara @ fitcupcaker recently posted..Energizing PB Date Balls

19 Megan January 29, 2013 at 8:43 am

looks yummy! I would just make the eggs over easy and then let the yolk run all over the quina mix.. yum!

20 Natalie @ Free Range Human January 29, 2013 at 9:19 am

I did something similar last week with a quinoa/wild rice combo. It was really good, but it does definitely need some kind of sauce.
Natalie @ Free Range Human recently posted..Hey Girl

21 Katherine January 29, 2013 at 9:21 am

This kinda reminds me of fried rice but with quinoa, so how about some soy sauce and sesame oil?
Katherine recently posted..Healthy pumpkin chili

22 Lauren @ Eat Like An Elephant January 29, 2013 at 10:01 am

Looks good to me!
Lauren @ Eat Like An Elephant recently posted..The Healthy Protein Smoothie

23 Lindsey d. January 29, 2013 at 10:58 am

Several suggestions — 1) try cous cous; I find it has more flavor than quinoa to start. 2) Season with some curry powder or add some garlic for a stronger flavor (not both, though). 3) Fry your eggs at the end and serve them on top; a runny egg goes a long way toward the sauce you were looking for.

Cous Cous or quinoa with veggies and a fried egg is one of my FAVORITE easy pantry/fridge meals.

24 Christa January 29, 2013 at 11:05 am

Last night I made balsamic apricot chicken from Recipe Girl…Wes and I both said that the sauce tasted like it had a kind of Chinese sweet and sour vibe to it. That might be great to tie your ingredients together! And it’s good too!! Wes was scraping the pan clean before he even set his plate on the table.

25 Maureen January 29, 2013 at 11:34 am

Yum! I’m just starting to cook with quinoa and this sounds like a great recipe to work with! :)
Maureen recently posted..Thankful

26 Emily N January 29, 2013 at 11:45 am

Nope. :)
Maybe some kind of asian-esque sauce? make it kind of like fried rice?
Emily N recently posted..A Few Details, and Some Workouts