Old Married Couple (and proud!)

by Meghann on January 27, 2013

Man, the day really got away from me yesterday. Ever since the wedding, Derek and I have been enjoying quiet weekends at home running errands, organizing, and really just enjoying being husband and wife. It may seem a little boring to some, but the truth is I wouldn’t trade it for the world. I feel like we finally have time to tackle some projects we’ve been dying to take care of (like putting together Ikea bedroom furniture that we’ve had lying around for months) and it’s been really nice just being the two of us.

We started off yesterday spending two hours (yep, TWO hours) at Target. I don’t think I’ve ever spend that long at Target before and not walked out with a new shirt or pair of running shorts – I’d say that’s a personal best! Instead of clothes shopping, we were picking up the last bit of items on our registry and narrowing down what other items we needed for the house. Unfortunately they were out of the new hutch we wanted (rain check!), but we did manage to walk out the door with a new ottoman.

20130126_134450.jpg

Finally we have a place to store all of our extra blankets (um, yeah, the floor wasn’t exactly working for us anymore) and Maddie has a new step stool for getting on the bed. We were hoping she would figure out the new step right away, but that didn’t work. Maybe with a little training she’ll figure out it’s a little easier to get on or off the bed via the ottoman.

After spending two hours in Target, we were starving. I checked my Yelp app for lunchtime inspiration and noticed a Sweet Tomatoes was right down the street. I hadn’t been to a Sweet Tomatoes in years and a salad sounded really amazing at that point.

20130126_135304.jpg

I’m really not a huge fan of buffet style restaurants, but if you get me in the right mood, I’m all for it. I piled my salad plate high with veggies, then took advantage of a warm bowl of chili and a side of sweet cornbread.

20130126_140032.jpg

It was all pretty good and exactly what I needed.

Unfortunately I was a little disappointed by the frozen yogurt.

froyo.jpg

It looked good, but tasted off. Not the trendy self serve frozen yogurt I’m used to.

The rest of the afternoon was spent cleaning and putting together an Ikea dresser. We’d been dreading putting it together since the last dresser we put together took us 6 hours. Sure enough, this one took about 6 hours too. I’ll have to wait until we have the bedroom all set up for photos. Right now our bedroom looks like a disaster zone, trust me, no one wants to see that.

Dinner was tupperware themed.

Basically all of last week’s leftovers thrown to heat up.

Best way to get rid of leftovers that I know of. πŸ™‚

I blame my early bedtime on this.

IMG_7941.jpg

I’m such a light weight. I finished the whole Pumking (holy moly was that beer good) and was out by 10. Party animal.

Today is new bike day! Hopefully. I’ve recruited a friend to help me check out some of the end-of-season sales around town. Wish us luck!

1 lisa fine @ vermont vittles January 27, 2013 at 8:12 am

As a kid I used to love buffets with salad bars, and I still do (though rarely seem to go to them). It’s always fun to choose from way more ingredients than you’d ever have at home.

Curious to read about the bike shopping. Keep us posted later, and good luck!
lisa fine @ vermont vittles recently posted..winter csa share, box five

2 Katie @ Peace Love & Oats January 27, 2013 at 9:13 am

Haha regular soft serve ice cream is definitely not the same as the trendy self serve froyo, but I definitely grew up on it! We had a machine in my high school cafeteria and in my college cafeteria!
Katie @ Peace Love & Oats recently posted..Running Survey

3 Maureen January 27, 2013 at 9:45 am

I have not been to a Sweet Tomatoes in YEARS!!! Now I’m craving it. πŸ™‚
I remember going to Target after my wedding to figure out what we wanted to get off of our registry with all our gift cards! Good times. πŸ™‚
Maureen recently posted..Brush My Teeth

4 [email protected] January 27, 2013 at 9:56 am

What was in the crockpot? Did I miss that recipe? It looks really good.

The Kidless Kronicles
[email protected] recently posted..Beat LA!

5 Lauren @ Eat Like An Elephant January 27, 2013 at 10:18 am

Love the title of this post! I think every married couple has to go through at least one IKEA building experience together…it’s a bonding thing πŸ™‚
Lauren @ Eat Like An Elephant recently posted..Weekend Adventures: Isles, Pizza, and a New Front Door

6 Briana @therunningspeechie January 27, 2013 at 10:37 am

Yay for bike shopping! I hope you find a good deal! You probably don’t remember, but I asked you for bike advice a while ago – I was completely clueless! Anyway, I ended up getting a Trek Lexa – it’s awesome! Now if I could just get over my fear of riding and actually use it….
Briana @therunningspeechie recently posted..Looking for inspiration

7 [email protected] January 27, 2013 at 10:37 am
8 Natalie @ Free Range Human January 27, 2013 at 10:45 am

My husband and I are totally that old married couple. We have those kinds of weekends all the time, just enjoying our time together. You’re right-I wouldn’t have it any other way!
Natalie @ Free Range Human recently posted..Yes, Please Pump Me Full Of Hormones!

9 Anne @ eatcleaneatreal January 27, 2013 at 10:50 am

Im jealous you can by pumpking this time of year. That is the best beer EVER! And what a fun glass to drink it in πŸ˜‰
Anne @ eatcleaneatreal recently posted..Day 2: Label reading fail

10 Katie @ Talk Less, Say More January 27, 2013 at 10:58 am

LOVE Pumpking! But yeah, I’m also a light weight and a drink (no matter what time of day) will put me to sleep. haha!
Katie @ Talk Less, Say More recently posted..The Defining Decade

11 Erica @ For the Sake of Cake January 27, 2013 at 11:46 am

I’ve heard such good things about Pumpking but I’ve never tried it myself!
Erica @ For the Sake of Cake recently posted..NuNaturals Giveaway

12 Lauren January 27, 2013 at 12:06 pm

Haha, welcome to married life. Saturday errands and dinner from a container at home. Nothing beats it! πŸ™‚ xoxo
Lauren recently posted..Friday Confessions

13 TorontoRunner January 27, 2013 at 1:15 pm

oo that frozen yogurt DOES look good though!

I’m not a buffet fan either, I love tapas style restaurants though!
TorontoRunner recently posted..Get your sunglasses out.

14 Blogging Runner January 27, 2013 at 1:45 pm

It sounds like it was a successful shopping trip! I don’t know how to go to Target and not look through the clothes, especially the exercise gear. πŸ™‚
Blogging Runner recently posted..Psoas, So What?

15 Karen @ Runner Girl Eats January 27, 2013 at 3:30 pm

That beer is fantastic but the Southern Tier Creme Brulee is by far their best beer. It tastes like dessert in the form of beer. SO GOOD.
Karen @ Runner Girl Eats recently posted..5 miles and too many Lucky Charms

16 Erica January 27, 2013 at 3:37 pm

I love being married and just being able to kind of hang around and get things DONE! That meal looks so yummy. Bummer about the frozen yogurt
Erica recently posted..Burrito in a Bowl

17 Emily @ Life on Food January 27, 2013 at 3:37 pm

IKEA can be the worst when putting their furniture together. At least you got it done.
Emily @ Life on Food recently posted..Weekend Edition: New TV, maybe?

18 Angela January 27, 2013 at 3:43 pm

I think some of my favorite memories with my husband are ones where we are just hanging out doing normal things, enjoying each others company. I always tell him, “we have so much fun together!!”
Angela recently posted..Blessed.

19 Christine @ BookishlyB January 27, 2013 at 5:54 pm

I have nothing against Ikea (we have several Billy Bookshelves), but their instructions could really use some damn WORDS!
Christine @ BookishlyB recently posted..By the Book- Thomas Keller’s Blueberry Muffins

20 Sara @ LovingOnTheRun January 27, 2013 at 7:21 pm

Haha this is funny because recently my husband and I have spent almost every night on the weekends sitting down on the couch, watching a movie, and veging out. It may seem boring to a lot of people but I love it!

21 Sara @ fitcupcaker January 27, 2013 at 9:05 pm

I love biking. I can’t wait until it gets warmer!
Sara @ fitcupcaker recently posted..A Girl’s Gotta Bench!

22 Melissa January 27, 2013 at 11:31 pm

We’re an old married couple too (a whole 7 months married). We love just relaxing at home.

I love that restaurant! It’s called Souplantation out west though. πŸ™‚
Melissa recently posted..20 Miles

23 Meghann January 28, 2013 at 10:44 am

Really? I didn’t know that. I like the name Souplantation. πŸ™‚

24 Emily N January 28, 2013 at 10:27 am

J and I are an old married couple as well. on Saturday night we were in bed by 8:15. All stars. lol.
Emily N recently posted..A Long Awaited Post? – ANNOUNCEMENT