more ยป" />

Bike Browsing

by Meghann on January 27, 2013

Man, I love January in Florida.

20130127_100912.jpg

We had an amazing morning on the bike trail this morning. Clear skies, amazing temps, and great company – what else do you really need?

20130127_100830.jpg

Also, Mary and Marcus are officially now my favorite riding companions. Not only are we all roughly the same pace (or maybe they’re just willing to ride my pace?), but they’re a blast to hang out with. We spent a lot of the ride chatting and the miles ticked right on by. They made the bike ride FUN, I think I needed a ride like that.

20130127_110703.jpg

We covered a little more than 28 miles at an average 16.0 mph pace. Those are numbers I’m proud of!

Before the ride I pre-fueled with a full breakfast – two eggs and one pancake with almond butter, blueberries, and granola. I learned last week that a full breakfast (versus a snack) is the way to go for a morning bike ride.

After the ride we stopped at Whole Foods for smoothies (I got the Green Dream… Mary and I also split a blueberry scone)

20130127_114009.jpg

And lunch quickly followed with a turkey sandwich an edamame.

I splurged on the Boars Head Salsalito Turkey this week – so. good.

The rest of the afternoon was dedicated to bike shopping.

20130127_140354.jpg 20130127_151043.jpg

Here’s the deal, I wanted a new carbon-based bike at a relatively low price point. Since I have very limited knowledge when it comes to bikes, I brought my friend Chris along for support. Bikes are his passion, so he knows a thing or two about what’s a good deal, what isn’t a good deal, what’s worth splurging on and what isn’t worth splurging on. Since a lot of the 2013 bikes are now available, we were hoping to cash in on some good deals with the now discounted 2012 models.

I was tempted by a pretty Trek bike that was well below my budget, but the components weren’t great and the frame was aluminum. The price was very tempting, but not much else about the bike was.

I ended up falling in love with a 2012 Felt B16. It’s a carbon frame with decent components and Chris was able to talk the bike shop guys down to a steal of a deal. It’s still a tad above my original budget, but he also threw in a full fitting and other accessories to even it out.

20130127_140349.jpg

Not sure why it looks green in the photo, she’s more blue in person.

Nothing has been purchased yet. I go back Tuesday to talk to the female fit specialist and pick her brain about the bike. If I like what I hear, then I’m handing my credit card over and coming home with a brand new bike. Yippee!

After a great morning ride and the possibility of bringing home a new bike this week, I’m now one hundred times more excited to start training for Ironman Florida!

We kept dinner simple tonight – burgers, fries, and a side of pickle.

Works for me!

You’ll never guess what arrived from Netflix yesterday.

20130127_163138.jpg

ha! I’m not sure why, but I had an urge to watch the Saved by the Bell wedding the other week and was surprised when I saw I could add it to my queue. Can you believe Saved by the Bell ended 20 years ago? My twin brother and I used to watch it every Saturday morning when we were kids, I swear that doesn’t feel that long ago! The rest of the series is available on Netflix Instant Play, I really should re-watch it in order some day. ๐Ÿ™‚

1 Victoria (District Chocoholic) January 27, 2013 at 9:14 pm

JOIN THE FELT TEAM. We have cool parties.
Victoria (District Chocoholic) recently posted..Cocova January Sample Day

2 Meghann January 28, 2013 at 10:46 am

haha Is there lots of chocolate involved?

3 Victoria (District Chocoholic) January 28, 2013 at 2:01 pm

Of course! And more importantly, lots of fast, fun biking.

4 Anne @ eatcleaneatreal January 27, 2013 at 9:19 pm

Oh my gosh I am SOOOOOO jealous of your weather. Im up in northwest PA and we just got about 2 feet of lake effect snow in the past week. Its taller than my pug! I miss blue skies and shorts. Please enjoy it for me!
Anne @ eatcleaneatreal recently posted..Day 2: Label reading fail

5 [email protected] January 27, 2013 at 9:21 pm

I have to buy a bike soon too – soooo unsure!

Mmmm burgers and fries!
[email protected] recently posted..Bathroom Antics

6 Katie @ Peace Love and Oats January 27, 2013 at 9:25 pm

No way, 20 years ago!? I love Saved By the Bell! Congrats on the new bike!
Katie @ Peace Love and Oats recently posted..Running Survey

7 TorontoRunner January 27, 2013 at 9:28 pm

oh gosh..no way did SBTB end 20 years ago :O I used to get up an hour earlier than I had to before school to watch it – every single day. What a classic show!

Great bike ride!
TorontoRunner recently posted..I did whaaaat?

8 Marg January 27, 2013 at 9:33 pm

Would you mind disclosing how much the bike you’re thinking of buying costs? I don’t need exact figures, but knowing the average cost of a quality bike for racing would be helpful to budget for a new bike! Thanks Meghann!!

9 Meghann January 28, 2013 at 10:20 am

Brand new the bike goes for $2100 and we talked him down to roughly $1500.

10 Marg January 28, 2013 at 1:14 pm

Thank you so much for responding! You did really well with that price!

11 Steph January 27, 2013 at 9:34 pm

Yeah for new bikes! I have an itch to dip into some Zack Attack now!
Steph recently posted..Superbowl Solutions: Pizza and wings

12 Allison @ Train Eat Repeat January 27, 2013 at 9:34 pm

i am so jealous of your weather! Saskatchewan is so not like that in January…. haha

oh man how i loved Saved by the Bell! i feel old now.
Allison @ Train Eat Repeat recently posted..Fitness Friday 01/25

13 Tori @ In Love and Peanut Butter January 27, 2013 at 9:39 pm

I have the 2012 Felt B16 (in black and white). LOVE that bike! I highly recommend it!
Tori @ In Love and Peanut Butter recently posted..Empowered.

14 Meghann January 28, 2013 at 10:45 am

You do? Good to know! I can’t wait to actually test drive it tomorrow.

15 Laura January 27, 2013 at 10:19 pm

Make sure you take the bike out for a 20-30 min ride! It’s the only way to know if it fits and to know if you like the feel. Good luck!!

16 Carrie @ Fitness and Frozen Grapes January 28, 2013 at 4:59 am

That’s what I was going to say–make sure you take it out for a test ride before you buy it! That’s great the bike shop will throw in a complimentary fit, too.
Carrie @ Fitness and Frozen Grapes recently posted..Write It Down, Do It Up โ€“ Week of Jan. 27

17 Meghann January 28, 2013 at 10:40 am

Trust me, I plan to test drive it tomorrow!

18 Rachel January 27, 2013 at 10:28 pm

I almost bought a B16 when I was shopping for a tri bike a few months ago. I tried it out and really liked it but ended up with a Canondale Slice. You are going to love biking so much more with a new ride!

19 Becky @ runfundone January 27, 2013 at 11:23 pm

It would never have crossed my mind that bikes get cheaper as newer models come out. I mean, I know that rule applies to cars and snowboards, but for some reason I wouldn’t have thought about that for bicycles! I can’t wait to hear about your final decision related to the bike!
Becky @ runfundone recently posted..Fierce is Back!

20 tiffany @dynamics of happy January 27, 2013 at 11:48 pm

i am so so jealous of your IM training!!!
i am dying to do one someday…….
do you have a place where you log your workouts by any chance??

21 [email protected], not Punishment January 27, 2013 at 11:59 pm

The bike purchase is exciting, but I squeed at the Saved by the Bell special. ๐Ÿ˜€
[email protected], not Punishment recently posted..Product Review: Old Navy Activewear

22 Anna Coats - Marry Me Tampa Bay January 28, 2013 at 12:48 am

Where did you go bike shopping? I need to pick one up too!
Anna Coats – Marry Me Tampa Bay recently posted..TLCโ€™s Randy to the Rescue Casting Call for Florida Brides โ€“ Just a Few Days Left!

23 Meghann January 28, 2013 at 10:42 am

We hit up Flying Fish in Westchase, Kona Multisport off I75, and Carrollwood Bike Emporium. However, I would suggest checking out Flying Fish off MacDill and asking for Joel, he’s the one we talked to originally about the discounted 2012 models. Good luck!

24 Jean January 28, 2013 at 1:36 am

Saved by the Bell wedding?!?! Is it for Zack and Kelly? I was a pretty big fan of the show but don’t think I followed it after it ended. Congrats on the (possibly) new bike!
Jean recently posted..Hanson Method and a Hike

25 Meghann January 28, 2013 at 10:43 am

Yes – Kelly and Zack! If you’ve never seen it, I would recommend it putting on your NetFlix queue just for nostalgia sake.

26 Angela January 28, 2013 at 1:40 am

I LOVED Saved by the Bell. SO good. I would loveeeeee to watch the wedding again. Kelly and Zack for life!!! ๐Ÿ™‚
Angela recently posted..Blessed.

27 Charlie (The Runner Beans) January 28, 2013 at 5:19 am

I need to get a new bike, I’m worried that the people in the shop will upsell me a bike that I don’t need. Bringing a knowledgable friend is a great idea, might have to recruit one!
Charlie (The Runner Beans) recently posted..Something for the Weekend

28 Meghann January 28, 2013 at 10:39 am

Yes! Definitely bring a friend. It’s like buying a car, you need someone there that knows what they’re talking about to make sure you’re getting a great deal.

29 Karen January 28, 2013 at 6:40 am

Saved by the Bell reruns are second only to Boy Meets World. So good. In the summer when I’m miserable and melting, I try to think about these January days-perfect weather!

30 Meghann January 28, 2013 at 10:39 am

We watched some Boy Weets World on Saturday morning. Derek told me he had the biggest crush on Topanga when he was a kid which made me laugh because I had the biggest crush on Shawn. P.s. Shawn (aka Rider Strong) is hilarious to follow on twitter @RiderStrong

31 Samantha January 28, 2013 at 6:58 am

Could you do a post about what to look for when bike shopping, and what prices should be expected (or maybe Chris can do a guest post)? I’m a total bike newbie, and am looking to purchase my first bike soon – same deal, to hopefully get a steal on a 2012 model! But I’m basically clueless and don’t want to get suckered in.

32 Meghann January 28, 2013 at 10:37 am

I’ll have to ask Chris if he wouldn’t mind writing a guest post, I know I couldn’t do it justice! He did the bulk of the research and is so knowledgable! I’ll see what I can do.

33 sara @ fitcupcaker January 28, 2013 at 7:33 am

No way, saved by the bell…cant get any better than that! I cant wait to start biking again, its so fun!
sara @ fitcupcaker recently posted..Push Up Challenge & Weekly Meal Plan

34 [email protected] January 28, 2013 at 8:11 am

I have a Trek 5.1 hybrid bike, but not a true road bike. I have also been tempted by that pretty, blue Trek.

My husband told me he has never seen the original Footloose. That immediately went to the top of the Netflix queue. I need to see what DVD’s are hanging around so I can send them back.

The Kidless Kronicles
[email protected] recently posted..Mimosa Sunday

35 Amanda January 28, 2013 at 8:52 am

Ditto on the test ride. I have three road bikes: one for commuting and two for racing. I took them all on 20- to 30-mile test rides before buying. Make sure you test ride that sucker before purchasing.

What groupset does the Felt have? 105, Ultegra? 105 should be just right for you. Also, see if you can have them switch the bar tape. White is perhaps the dumbest color for bar tape. Gets dirty in a week.

Good luck!

36 Meghann January 28, 2013 at 10:35 am

It’s Ultegra and I agree about the white tape. I didn’t purchase it yesterday because I wanted to make sure I took a test ride before fully committing. The female fit specialist is supposed to be the best female specialist in Tampa, I can’t wait to pick her brain tomorrow.

37 Meghan @ After the Ivy League January 28, 2013 at 9:02 am

Love the new bike! Hope everything works out and you’re able to purchase! And January in Florida…don’t think I could be more jealous. It’s been so cold in New England lately, I can’t wait for spring.
Meghan @ After the Ivy League recently posted..Pancakes and Running

38 Lauren January 28, 2013 at 9:03 am

I actually just saw that same episode a few weeks ago. Gotta love SBTB! But 20 years agoโ€ฆ.seriously?? God I feel old!
Lauren recently posted..Friday Confessions

39 Caitlin January 28, 2013 at 9:15 am

I LOVE my Felt bike. It’s not a carbon frame- since I bought it as a very new cyclist. You’ll have to name your bike when you get her. She’s very pretty and looks fast. Speaking of bikes, for a laugh you should watch the interview between Jimmy Fallon and Lance Armstrong’s bike. Have a good week ๐Ÿ™‚

40 Meghann January 28, 2013 at 10:33 am

haha – just watched it! Hilarious! And I agree, she’ll need a new name! Hmmm…. something think about.

41 Natalie @ Free Range Human January 28, 2013 at 9:53 am

That sounds like my experience with buying a bike. I was so clueless!
Natalie @ Free Range Human recently posted..Yes, Please Pump Me Full Of Hormones!

42 Katie January 28, 2013 at 9:57 am

hi Meghann,

I’m interested in purchasing a new bike for long distances but have been leery of spending the money if I can’t find a safe place to ride. I live in Jacksonville with weather conditions and flat terrain similar to Tampa, but haven’t had much luck finding safe areas for distance rides.

Did you ride on busy roads or through neighborhoods for your last long distance bike ride?

Thanks for your help!

43 Meghann January 28, 2013 at 10:30 am

I stick solely to bike trails. Florida has a lot of rails-to-trails programs that usually make great trails to ride on. Here’s a great list of paved trails through the state of FLorida http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_paved_Florida_bike_trails Good luck!

44 Amanda January 28, 2013 at 11:02 am

Check out the North Florida Bicycle Club website. They have group rides almost every day, as well as maps posted on their site.

45 Katie January 28, 2013 at 4:41 pm

Great! Thanks very much to you both!

46 Eric January 28, 2013 at 11:26 am

The most important thing is to be comfortable in the aero position for the Ironman. You will be that aero position for a long time. Make sure you pick a bike that has the correct geometry for your body and get a good bike fit. Being in the aero position is the greatest way to reduce drag while on the bike. Having big carbon wheels, helmet, bike frame only have minor reduction in drag.
Eric recently posted..Cigar City Brewing Twilight Criterium

47 Stephanie @ My Freckled Life January 28, 2013 at 11:28 am

Saved By The Bell is a classic!! I’ve heard there are rumors about a POSSIBLE reunion show (like Boy Meets World is doing). That would be legit!
Stephanie @ My Freckled Life recently posted..The End of Restaurant Week

48 Courtney January 28, 2013 at 12:39 pm

So jealous of your riding outside!! But I did get to watch Tangled on the training this weekend, so that is pretty nice ๐Ÿ™‚

49 Elisabeth January 28, 2013 at 1:07 pm

I would love a guest post from Chris, too! I want to buy a good bike & just don’t know enough or know anyone who does. I still have my Trek bike from high school (13 years ago) ๐Ÿ˜‰

50 [email protected] January 28, 2013 at 1:17 pm

What…Saved by the Bell ended 20 years ago!!!! Thanks for just making me feel super old! So was it as good as you remembered?
[email protected] recently posted..Marvelous in My Monday!

51 Meghann January 28, 2013 at 1:51 pm

The Vegas wedding episode did lose some of the luster over the years, but I think that has more to do that it was a “movie” concept and deviated from the show’s original taped-in-front-of-a-live-studio-audience concept.