Pancakes! Pancakes!

by Meghann on January 26, 2013

Bam!

If you’re in a running slump – take my advice and take a nice long break starting now. Trust me. When the itch to run returns, you’ll be thankful you had the break to rest your legs and remember why you loved the sport in the first place. This first week back has been awesome. Really, really awesome. I’m officially back in the training groove and it feels great.

I could not have asked for better weather for my run this morning – maybe the awesome weather has something to do with my renewed running spirit? I love having the option to sleep in and still have it be cool enough to fit in a decent distance before breakfast.

The 8 miles may not have been much per marathon training standards, but it was my longest run since early December and still a good distance in my opinion. I revisited an old route I hadn’t run since the fall and knocked out the 8 miles with only minimal breaks for water fountains. I was surprised how fresh my legs felt. I actually had to make an effort to slow them down and not risk burning out by going out too fast. It was a great run, I needed that.

I had one thing on my mind in those last few miles – PANCAKES! As soon as I was done showering I jumped on the bed and started happily shouting “pancakes! pancakes!” in an effort to coax Derek out of bed. I love our Saturday morning pancake tradition. I make the batter and prep the fruit toppings, while he mans the griddle and flips the pancakes. He’s an expert pancake flipper, while I’m way too impatient for it (the key to perfect pancakes = patience).

We make some pretty tasty pancakes (thanks to the Kodiak just-add-water mix). With the pancakes I had two fried eggs, fresh strawberries, and some marionberry syrup.

I need a shirt that says “will run for pancakes.” Post-run pancakes = bliss.

*caution potential spoilers ahead*

I finished “Gone Girl” last night. I’m still not sure how I feel about the book. At the beginning I couldn’t figure out why everyone raved about the book. The main character was weak and his inability to tell the truth made me hate him immediately. It took me a while to get into it, but once it started getting good I kept waiting for something really big to happen, but that never came.

Don’t get me wrong, the storyline was brilliant and well played – It wasn’t like anything I had ever read before and I would still highly recommended to anyone looking for a good read. If anything “Gone Girl” was a great reminder of something I 100% believe to be true – never trust the stories that in the news or popular culture. No matter what they claim, you’ll never have the full story and chances are you never will. It’s easy to jump to conclusions, but people lie, cheat, and can be just plain evil (including the so-called “heroes” in the stories).

Did you read Gone Girl? What did you think?

1 Angie January 26, 2013 at 11:27 am

I honestly disliked “Gone Girl” – I bought it immediately after reading about it in “Entertainment Weekly” and I hated the ending. I don’t know why it blew up so big. I can think of a million other books that were more interesting and had a better plotline. I wanted to know what happened, for sure, but I was so irritated by the ending! I feel that I’ll just be annoyed when I see previews for the movie, too. Maybe they’ll change it enough so that I’ll actually like the movie better than the book, haha

2 Sabrina January 26, 2013 at 11:32 am

Fried eggs on pancakes?! My taste buds are very confused!
Sabrina recently posted..Friday Five {1.25.2013}

3 Tiffani January 26, 2013 at 11:40 am

I expected so much more from the book. I really liked most of it (minus the first and the ending). It leaves it too open ended for me and I hate that!!
Tiffani recently posted..Talking About Workouts

4 Kelly January 26, 2013 at 11:44 am

I just finished Gone Girl yesterday. After the first 30 pages I was ready to quit, but kept on going. I thought the twist was great, but I had figured it out before it was revealed in the book. I truly thought th ending was a let down!! Seriously after all that, it ended that way?! All in all I enjoyed it and was entertained, but I wish something would have happened in the end.

5 Kelly @ Laughter, Strength, and Food January 26, 2013 at 11:46 am

The syrup on the pancakes looks so delicious!
Kelly @ Laughter, Strength, and Food recently posted..I Need My Mail

6 Barry Wright, III January 26, 2013 at 11:47 am

Totally agree about taking breaks – at least for me, I get worn down physically and mentally before I really realize it. All of the sudden, I have a terrible week of running (or get sick). I’m going to work on planning break weeks out ahead of time, instead of getting blindsided.
Barry Wright, III recently posted..Hiccups

7 Claire January 26, 2013 at 12:00 pm

Nothing big ever happened!? Gone Girl has a huge and exciting twist in it! Did we read the same book?

8 Meghann January 27, 2013 at 8:55 pm

I saw the “precaution” coming. I think since I was expecting that, I didn’t think it was a big ending. I was waiting for some sort of justice, but it never came – that’s what left me feeling disappointed.

9 [email protected] January 26, 2013 at 12:04 pm

I always feel so great after a running break! Kodiak cakes are awesome! I’m really wanting to read Gone Girl, but now I’m not so sure. I feel the same way about the book I reviewed on my blog today, Divergent…..everyone has raved about it, but I really don’t get what all the fuss is about… happy weekend!
[email protected] recently posted..Book Review of Divergent

10 TorontoRunner January 26, 2013 at 12:08 pm

Ha I’m always thinking about what I’m gonna eat when I finish a run πŸ˜€
That’s a great 8 miles!
TorontoRunner recently posted..Get your sunglasses out.

11 Jamie January 26, 2013 at 12:11 pm

Living in Tampa and looking for some new running routes, what are some of your favorites?!? Your pancakes like delish by the way πŸ™‚

12 [email protected], not Punishment January 26, 2013 at 12:37 pm

Oh, Gone Girl.

I’m a big reader and I haaaaaated it. People hyped it up to be this slick, smart thriller and I actually thought it was really juvenile. I was struck by how sexist it seemed, towards both genders! The main characters were so one-dimensional and irredeemable. It’s still hard for me to believe how wildly popular it was.

Pardon the negative rant on your lovely Saturday morning! πŸ˜€ Here are some other book ideas to make up for it! If you like page turners, ‘Room’ by Emma Donoghue is very compelling and inventive. If you like character studies of marriages, you might like ‘Freedom’ by Jonathan Franzen.
[email protected], not Punishment recently posted..Basically an Ironman

13 Lindsay Margaret January 26, 2013 at 1:16 pm

Gone Girl was a great book to run to. It totally held my attention and got me through my long runs. I’m not sure I would have liked the book as much if I had just read it.
Lindsay Margaret recently posted..Ice Cream Cake

14 Katie @ Talk Less, Say More January 26, 2013 at 2:00 pm

I always have mixed emotions about reading books that are so popular because I always feel like the hype is so big that I’ll end up not liking it. hah!

And as for a “will run for pancakes” shirt – we should make one!!
Katie @ Talk Less, Say More recently posted..If You’re Anything Like Me

15 Erin January 26, 2013 at 2:03 pm

I also read Gone Girl because I’d read her other two books and really enjoyed them. Gone Girl is my least favorite. Dark Places and Sharp Objects are better. Dark Places is my favorite.

16 Lauren @ Eat Like An Elephant January 26, 2013 at 2:10 pm

Am I the only one left who hasn’t read this book?? The reviews are so mixed I don’t know weather to read it or leave it.
Lauren @ Eat Like An Elephant recently posted..Weekend Adventures: Isles, Pizza, and a New Front Door

17 Dori January 26, 2013 at 2:27 pm

I LOVED Gone Girl. I was so into it that I tried to take it with me to my engagement (on a beach, at night). My soon-to-be-fiance told me to leave the book home. Ha! I disagree with you that nothing big happens…. I thought the BIGGEST thing happened!
Dori recently posted..DSB Review: Revolve NYC – The Real Deal in Indoor Cycling

18 Sara @ fitcupcaker January 26, 2013 at 2:37 pm

Pancakes look fantastic…I had protein pancakes today too…Guess thats just the perfect sat. breakfast!
Sara @ fitcupcaker recently posted..Fantastic Friday

19 Sara @ LovingOnTheRun January 26, 2013 at 2:53 pm

I completely agree about the running slump! When all I use to do was run I would get pretty “runned out”. I would take a break from a week or so and then by the next week I would be itching to run again.

20 The Many Thoughts of a Reader January 26, 2013 at 3:04 pm

Those pancakes look delicious! I liked Gone Girl. I liked Nick and wished he would have been a bit stronger.
The Many Thoughts of a Reader recently posted..February Group Read – The Song Remains the Same

21 Katie @ Peace Love & Oats January 26, 2013 at 3:08 pm

I wasn’t a huge fan of Gone Girl – it kept my attention and was interesting, but I didn’t like the ending at all! I much prefer her other two books, Sharp Objects and Dark Places
Katie @ Peace Love & Oats recently posted..Back Into Running Plan

22 Stephanie @ Steph's Miles January 26, 2013 at 3:11 pm

I think I’m going to skip reading Gone Girl – it just hasn’t seemed appealing to me. I just picked up Tina Fey’s Bossypants from the library. I love a good biography from a pop culture icon!
Stephanie @ Steph’s Miles recently posted..Musings from the Week, 1/25

23 Kristen @ notsodomesticated January 26, 2013 at 3:52 pm

Ahh now I want pancakes!! Those look heavenly!
Kristen @ notsodomesticated recently posted..Red Velvet Blondies (with my favorite cream cheese frosting!)

24 Eliana January 26, 2013 at 4:02 pm

I absolutely LOVED Gone Girl! So unpredictable. And i loved the past/present writing style. I think Gillian Flynn is an awesome mystery thriller writer. I suggested her book Dark Places for our book club after finishing Gone Girl!

25 Kath January 26, 2013 at 5:11 pm

Totally agree with you on GG. I just didn’t love it. The first half was good…the twist even better. And then all downhill and disappointing from there : (
Kath recently posted..Lately

26 Karen @ Runner Girl Eats January 26, 2013 at 6:10 pm

I loved Gone Girl but the ending seemed a little weak for such a great book. But overall I still think it was fantastic and want to check out more of her books. In our house we have a waffle tradition and it is honestly my favorite thing in the world.
Karen @ Runner Girl Eats recently posted..A fried egg sandwich and a scaredy cat

27 Caitlin F. January 26, 2013 at 6:35 pm

I finished Gone Girl last week and felt the same. Very underwhelming read for me. =/ However, I finished The Fault in Our Stars by John Green this week and I loved it!

28 Clare @ Fitting It All In January 26, 2013 at 7:26 pm

Gone Girl drove me crazy to no end.
No satisfaction at the end.

29 Rachel January 26, 2013 at 7:39 pm

I read “Gone Girl” and I really liked it until the end. I was slightly disappointed in the ending but I didn’t regret reading it. Plus, I had gotten it for free from my library through my Kindle πŸ™‚ And I’m a weirdo… I HATE pancakes… I like waffles though. Color me bizarre.
Rachel recently posted..Four Weeks Until Race Day!

30 Jennifer S January 26, 2013 at 7:54 pm

Loved Gone Girl and got really caught up in it, but really felt let down by the ending. I would like to try one of Flynn’s other books since so many comments are recommending them.

31 Natalie @ Free Range Human January 26, 2013 at 9:22 pm

I thought Gone Girl was incredibly twisted. You make a great point about not trusting what you hear. After years of being a fan of shows like 48 hours, I know that to be true!
Natalie @ Free Range Human recently posted..Yes, Please Pump Me Full Of Hormones!

32 Melissa January 27, 2013 at 12:56 am

I think I’m going to need a running break after the LA Marathon. I’ve been feeling rather burned out already and the race isn’t until March 17th!

33 Swial January 27, 2013 at 1:54 am

How did your hub feel about the Pancake wake-up call? Are you trying to prep him for baby time?

34 Briana @therunningspeechie January 27, 2013 at 10:48 am

I really liked Gone Girl & I hope they make it into a movie because it would be CRAY. I’ve thought about who could play Amy and I’m torn between Reese Witherspoon and Charlize Theron. It’s interesting, though, because I was literally cringing from the beginning of the book to the end, but I couldn’t stop reading. Some parts were simply insane and unrealistic, but I felt really invested in the characters no matter how dark and disturbing they were. I’m really thinking that Gillian Flynn might have some issues, though – have you read anything about her other books? They sounds 10000 worse.
Briana @therunningspeechie recently posted..Looking for inspiration

35 Emily N January 28, 2013 at 11:21 am

I have an “I <3 pancakes" shirt from david and goliath that i bought in vegas. not QUITE the same as will run for pancakes, but pretty good. πŸ™‚

36 Rachel @ RachelRuns29.11 February 4, 2013 at 9:34 am

I just finished it yesterday and skipped your review as to not spoil anything but came back to read it today! I got the audio too and hated the the male narrator’s voices so much I think it skewed my point of view on one of the main characters. I liked the different twists though until the ending. I didn’t see the last one coming (I was also on mile 9 and tired:) but the ending kinda fizzled for me.