Mr. Prowler

by Meghann on January 25, 2013

Meet my new friend, the prowler.

20130123_075858.jpg

Three months into CrossFit and we only had our my first introduction today. He’s a brutal mister, but also a manageable one. There’s something very satisfying about pushing a heavy set of weights so early in the morning. He brought out the beast in me – after each set I was tempted to growl.

Before we got to the prowler, we focused on power snatches for our skill/focus. Quite honestly, the move pissed me off. The move wasn’t about strength for me, it was all about technique, and it wasn’t clicking. I maxed out well below everyone else and, try as I might to just go 5 pounds higher, I couldn’t do it. I know I shouldn’t be comparing myself to others, but for some reason it was really getting to me today. According to my coach I wasn’t being aggressive enough with the snatch, which was causing me to take an unintentional pause and lose the power behind it. Eventually I wore myself out trying and my attempts were looking sadder and sadder.

I took all the anger I felt towards the power snatch and refocused it towards the WOD.

• 50 yd prowler
  • 15 dips
  • 30 evil wheels
  • 3 RFT

We had to push the prowler out 25 yds, turn around, and bring it back. After losing with the power snatch, it felt good to do something that was all about the drive and not really about technique. I grabbed a hold and just went for it. It was awesome. I was cursing under my breath from all the effort, but I knew it could do it. I knew I could bring it out, bring it back, and that was a confidence booster.

The dips were by the book, but the “evil wheels” (or ab wheel) were another new challenge. Those burned, especially after 90 of them. I’m definitely going to feel it in my abs in the morning.

All-in-all it was a great workout that left me with improvements I can focus on for next time. That power snatch has not seen the last of me, I will get it right.

After the workout I chowed down on a plate of eggs and apple slices with almond butter.

You can really never go wrong with crisp apple slice and a huge chunk of almond butter.

Have you ever had a strength move that just wasn’t clicking for you?

1 Katie @ Talk Less, Say More January 25, 2013 at 9:18 am

LOVE apples with peanut butter or almond butter. I need to make sure we have some apples around these parts because think I just picked my mid-morning snack. πŸ˜‰
Katie @ Talk Less, Say More recently posted..Good news! Fitness Friday!

2 Sarah January 25, 2013 at 9:24 am

it was national peanut butter day yesterday!! πŸ™‚ did you celebrate? i may or may not have had like 3 spoonfuls just out of the jar. And i love how lifting brings out the inner she-hulk!

3 Meghann January 25, 2013 at 9:35 am

No, I missed it. πŸ™ I’m just celebrating a day late. πŸ˜‰

4 Sarah January 25, 2013 at 9:50 am

hehe no matter, it’s always delicious. πŸ™‚ i’ve been taking a weight training class at my university and i actually asked them if we could take a look at how crossfit works because i’ve seen it on your blog and they said it was awful for you. i’m not sure who to believe because i’ve heard both bad and good but i’m sure it’s that way for everything. people tell me i run too much and it’s bad for me but meh.. i love it so whatever.
Sarah recently posted..What order did you run your races from your race page in? Did you steadily improve from the 2:36 half to your amazing times now, or have you always had a knack for running quite quickly and the 2:36 was due to race day conditions? You’re an allstar, good luck with your goal of the 1:45 half!

5 Meghann January 25, 2013 at 10:15 am

EVERYONE has a different opinion when it comes to workouts. It’s best to do your own independent research and decide what’s best for YOU. CrossFit has bad stuff and good stuff just like running a marathon or attending barre method classes. There are no right or wrong answers, just personal choices to stay healthy and fit.

6 Sarah January 25, 2013 at 12:11 pm

Right! I agree! I’m upset that they won’t even show us what CrossFit is like. We don’t have any CrossFit gyms around here. πŸ™
Sarah recently posted..Day 361- Whoa, hello Charleston! πŸ˜€ We got in around 5 this…

7 Katie @ Peace Love & Oats January 25, 2013 at 9:25 am

I’ve always wanted to do that! Push a prowler that is, but I never knew what it was called!
Katie @ Peace Love & Oats recently posted..Back Into Running Plan

8 Becky January 25, 2013 at 9:27 am

The snatch pisses me off too. We are not getting along at the moment. I totally agree it’s all about technique!

9 Jill E. January 25, 2013 at 9:29 am

power snatches are super hard. we do a good amount of hang power snatches (from the thighs vs the floor) and they are super hard. any time i have to bring weight over my head i have a hard time. that is one of the best parts of crossfit you get better but it never gets easier.

10 [email protected] January 25, 2013 at 9:37 am

If I recall this from my Crossfit days, the faster the better on this one. I tend to slow things down when I am trying to learn the technique and then you lose all momentum on this. It is the same with jerks.

The Kidless Kronicles
[email protected] recently posted..So much hate

11 amyt January 25, 2013 at 9:40 am

I have to say…that lil 5 lbs will get you every time – it doesn’t seem like much, BUT it is!!!!! It was getting me on my bench – I finally maxed at 120…it felt like I would NEVER make it…I was getting so flustered…once I hit that goal I was satisfied…it felt great. I don’t work on my bench much anymore ( do more close grips to work on tri’s)..but I had a goal, and wanted to make that one.

12 Mary Ann January 25, 2013 at 9:53 am

Really you did a work out and ate one egg (or 2?) and an apple? Time to amp up the fuel or you will not make it through ironman training.

13 Meghann January 25, 2013 at 10:12 am

There are two eggs there, a giant apple, and about 3-4 tablespoons of peanut butter (plus a spoonful while I was prepping the meal). I had 1/2 of a Clif Bar before the workout and had a string cheese at 10.

14 Katie @ running4cupcakes January 25, 2013 at 10:02 am

how do I always forget about making an egg for breakfast ??? yours looks super yummy this morning – might have to make one for lunch!
Katie @ running4cupcakes recently posted..9 months

15 Gina @ Running to the Kitchen January 25, 2013 at 10:18 am

I hate the stupid snatch. I feel the exact same way. I also hate cleaning the bar. Partly because that’s what caused me to hurt my wrist 2 months ago, but also because I know I’m just not aggressive enough to get under the bar. It’s not the second part of the move that I can’t do, it’s having the confidence to throw myself under a bar that’s like 95+ pounds! I know exactly what you mean about being frustrated like that. At least you had the second half of the wod to make up for it. When we do strength moves like that we sometimes don’t have time for an actual wod and it takes all my mental power to not leave fuming. And isn’t it crazy how just a few extra pounds can make something impossible. That’s also how I feel on the strict press. I can do 63# no prob. Try for 65#? Total failure. Annoys me so much!
Gina @ Running to the Kitchen recently posted..Spicy salsa verde chicken

16 Natalie @ Free Range Human January 25, 2013 at 10:40 am

It actually happened to me yesterday. I was doing a strength workout and my elbow became so sore. It’s actually still hurting today!
Natalie @ Free Range Human recently posted..Yes, Please Pump Me Full Of Hormones!

17 Christine @ BookishlyB January 25, 2013 at 10:58 am

I get frustrated with tripod headstands in yoga- I know I have the core strength to bring my legs up off my arms, but I just can’t do it. I don’t get it and watching everyone else effortlessly pop their legs on up is irritating. I know eventually this irritation will be the motivation I need to practice more at home and do it.
Christine @ BookishlyB recently posted..Bookish (and not so Bookish) Thoughts

18 Amber January 25, 2013 at 11:06 am

I’ve also had issues with the power snatch. It didn’t click for me until my coach had me do the snatch from boxes that were slightly lower than hang position. It forced me to use the hip explosion necessary to get the bar above my head. Anytime I have issues now, I can remember what it feels like to lift from the boxes vs the ground (where I tend to just try to muscle the bar above my head).

19 Courtney @ Journey of a Dreamer January 25, 2013 at 11:24 am

Snatch is tricky! I went to an olympic lifting seminar where we focused on the snatch most of the time and broke it down part by part. My problem is I try to pull with my arms instead of using my hips. Then I try to pull it higher than I should instead of dropping below the bar. I have been doing more snatch balances to try to work on dropping fast. and the evil wheel makes me hurt just to think about!
Courtney @ Journey of a Dreamer recently posted..Coffee Date Friday

20 Chelsea @ CardioandCocktails January 25, 2013 at 1:34 pm

I love the prowler! There’s something very powerful about being able to just muscle a heavy piece of equipment and push it across the gym. When I first started CrossFit style workouts, I wasn’t always the fastest, but I could clean up with the prowler. It sounds like your workout this morning was one of those that reminds you that fitness is a lifelong journey and as close as we think that we are to winning, there’s so much more to do!
Chelsea @ CardioandCocktails recently posted..Heart Workout

21 Madi January 25, 2013 at 2:32 pm

power cleans scare the begeezus outta me. i’m always afraid i’m not going to get the weight up! I want to master them soooo badly! I feel you girl!
Madi recently posted..Body Pump and My Fitness Journey

22 Bonnie January 25, 2013 at 3:01 pm

You’ll get there with your oly lifts! There’s a learning curve with technique lifts like that – after a bit of practice, you will probably have a big jump in your max. Good luck!
Bonnie recently posted..So, apparently Panera has a HIDDEN menu…

23 Mary @ Lost After Losing January 26, 2013 at 12:00 pm

I definitely struggle with snatches. There’s just so much to think about. I always try to incorporate all the cues from my coaches at once and end up getting overwhelmed. Also, I fear the day the prowler push makes an appearance at my box…
Mary @ Lost After Losing recently posted..Spot the Difference: Front Squat PR Edition

24 Pete Williams January 27, 2013 at 2:29 pm

Wow, Meghann. Three months into CrossFit and only now they’ve introduced the prowler? We got it on Day 1!

For those who are intimidated by CrossFit or don’t see how it applies to running, you’re right….to a degree. Many boxes have little to no running, but those that intersperse 800-meter runs every 2-3 exercises of the WOD — those can really help with your running, especially if you’re doing obstacle races. That’s the philosophy I have in my ObstacleFit program.
Pete Williams recently posted..Today’s Workout – January 22, 2013