Wedding: A Wedding Day Run

by Meghann on January 24, 2013

See also:

The night before the wedding I couldn’t sleep. I was a bundle of nerves and kept having strange dreams that the gel french manicure I got on Friday was mysteriously coming off. Of all the things to have nightmares about the night before my wedding, I was dreaming about bad manicures – so strange.

I kept waking up and forcing myself to go back to sleep – I was just too anxious to start the day! Finally the alarm clock went off and I’m pretty sure I was the only one of the 5 girls in the house who immediately jumped out of bed and started jabbering on as if I had just downed 5 cups of coffee at 6:30 in the morning. Even on the tiny amount of sleep I managed the night before, I was still full of adrenaline and energy. I probably could have run a marathon and still have been able to do jumping jacks at the end – I was that wired.

Back in October I had joined Anne and a few friends for a short run the morning of her wedding and loved the experience. It was a wonderful opportunity to catch up with the bride and Anne couldn’t stop raving how nice it was to calm her nerves before the big day really got moving. I knew I had wanted to repeat the experience before my wedding.

So a couple of weeks before the wedding I sent an email out to all my running friends asking who wanted to join my bridesmaids and I for a run. The majority responded with an enthusiastic yes and we agreed to meet bright and early (7:00am!) at my parents’ house on the big day.

406013_3795297335758_391208055_n.jpg

(From L to R: Ashley, Kelly, Mary, Emily, Jess, me, Ashley, Anne, Courtney, Stephanie, Melissa)

I was basically doing cartwheels by the time everyone arrived. The I’m-getting-married-today adrenaline rush was out of control and I needed a run in a bad way.

We weren’t planning on going far (a little more than a 5k) and none of us wore watches. It was an easy run where we would could all talk and just enjoy the peaceful morning that surrounded us. Even better, the run was a great chance for friends who had never met before to bond and chat before dancing the night away at the reception together.

runwedding.jpg

My anxiety melted away on the run. All of a sudden it was just like any other day – just out for a run with some of my favorite girls. I wasn’t thinking about the wedding, I was just thinking about how grateful I was to have all of these amazing ladies in my life.

shoes.jpg

(bright running shoes are definitely IN)

If you’re a runner, I highly recommend going for a run with friends the morning of your wedding. It was the perfect way to kick off the day – full of friends and laughter. They calmed me down and reminded me that a wedding is really just like any other day…. only with a big party at the end.

My parents had a delicious breakfast spread waiting for the girls and I after the run.

72286_3795296695742_150056049_n.jpg

There were eggs, bacon, pumpkin bread, scones, muffins, fresh fruit, and yogurt.

And champagne! You can’t forget the champagne!

runawaybride.jpg

Everyone stuck around for another hour eating breakfast, drinking mimosas, and relaxing.

312308_3795293335658_169830557_n.jpg

148921_3795295295707_679976218_n.jpg

Just before 9:00 the hair stylist arrived and it was time to start prepping for the day.

The countdown had begun, only 8 more hours to go until I was officially a Mrs.!

IMG_7248.jpg IMG_7250.jpg

Did you run the morning of your wedding? Have you ever run with a bride the morning of her wedding?

Photo credits: Anne and Ashley

*Other wedding-related posts can be found here*

1 NYC Fit GIrl January 24, 2013 at 2:36 pm

I love the idea that you ran the morning of your wedding! SO much fun and a great way to just clear your head and relax!
NYC Fit GIrl recently posted..CrossFit Weight Loss and Improvements

2 Katie @ Peace Love and Oats January 24, 2013 at 2:42 pm

I would most definitely go for a run the morning of my wedding, best way to calm your nerves!
Katie @ Peace Love and Oats recently posted..Thursday Thoughts

3 Kirsten January 24, 2013 at 3:13 pm

What a great idea! Did you have to wash your hair after your run? I know that a lot of hairdressers don’t like you to wash your hair the same day that they do your hair ,however, I would assume after a run you would be sweaty….

4 abbi January 24, 2013 at 3:19 pm

That’s pretty awesome that you had that big of a group for your wedding morning run! I love it!
abbi recently posted..The Dog Rant

5 Annette @FitnessPerks January 24, 2013 at 3:32 pm

That is SUCH a fun idea! Love your shirt & robe 🙂
Annette @FitnessPerks recently posted..Eats on Days I Teach Fitness Classes

6 Margo January 24, 2013 at 3:51 pm

I went running the morning of my wedding with my runner friends, and it was the best way to start the day. Perfect to deal with my anxiety and excitement. My friend and her groom organized a 5k for their wedding party the morning of their wedding. One of the bridesmaids even made t-shirts with a caricature of the couple on the front. We were all either “team bride” or “team groom.” It was amazing!

7 Belinda January 24, 2013 at 3:54 pm

I ran the morning of my wedding. It was a peaceful run through my neighborhood all by myself. It would’ve been fun with friends too. It was a great way to clear my mind, build that last edge of self-confidence before walking down the aisle, and to breathe before the big day really got rolling.

8 sarah January 24, 2013 at 3:59 pm

we ran the Friday morning before the wedding for my BFF”s wedding, and it was so fun! we had lunch and mani/pedis that day before the rehearsal dinner – it was the kickoff to a great weekend.

9 Gavi January 24, 2013 at 4:00 pm

I ran the morning of my wedding with my mom, brother, and brother-in-law. It was the perfect way to relax and spend time with my family before the craziness of the day! I look back on that run with such fondness.

10 Caitlin January 24, 2013 at 4:45 pm

I’m getting married in May (100 days!) and I fully plan to run the morning of my wedding. I wish, like you, I had more running friends but I think I actually like the idea of doing it on my own and just having that time to relax before the craziness of the day starts.

11 sara @ fitcupcaker January 24, 2013 at 4:52 pm

I didnt even work out the morning of my wedding…but I also wasnt such a fitness freak then 🙂 Now I would though!
sara @ fitcupcaker recently posted..National Peanut Butter Day!

12 TorontoRunner January 24, 2013 at 5:53 pm

I love this! I think it’s a great way to start off the day of your wedding 😀

I’ve got no wedding heading to me anytime soon, but a birthday coming up and I’m going to gift myself a nice , loooong, PDR run!
TorontoRunner recently posted..Fueling?? + Silver Linings Playbook

13 Katie January 24, 2013 at 5:59 pm

Did you have a nighttime ceremony? By the pictures it looked light out, but by the ‘8 hours to go’ comment at 9 a.m. it sounds like it was a late one!

14 Meghann January 24, 2013 at 6:07 pm

We had a 4:30pm ceremony, so I guess it should be 7.5 hours if we’re going by exact numbers. 🙂

15 broccolihut January 24, 2013 at 6:32 pm

My mom actually banned me from running on the morning of my wedding–she was convinced that it would make me late or over-tired. So I just went on a short walk with my bridesmaids to relax before the big day.
broccolihut recently posted..My Bulk Cooking Experiment

16 Hillary January 24, 2013 at 6:32 pm

This is something I definitely want to do on my wedding day, mainly because, like you, I can see myself being an insane bundle of energy. Unfortunately, very few of my friends are runners, but I might have to weasel them into it anyway!
Hillary recently posted..2013

17 Kristine January 24, 2013 at 6:35 pm

My mom, sister and I went to a Zumba class the morning of my wedding. It was with my favorite instructors who I hasn’t seen in months since I moved away from the area where we were getting marries. 90 minutes later, I was sweaty and totally relaxed. It was the perfect way to start my wedding day!

18 Sara @ LovingOnTheRun January 24, 2013 at 6:58 pm

I didn’t do any exercise the morning of my wedding. We had a breakfast for the bridal party like you did and just relaxed and spent time with family. A run would have been a great idea but I just was focusing on trying to relax 🙂
Sara @ LovingOnTheRun recently posted..So Much Pain

19 Anne @ eatcleaneatreal January 24, 2013 at 7:00 pm

I love this! I ran with my best friend the morning of her wedding, and Ive always planned on doing the same if I ever get married!!!

20 [email protected] January 24, 2013 at 9:10 pm

my dad and i ran together early on the morning of my wedding. i still look back with such fondness on that time together at the beginning of such a meaningful day!

21 Steph @321delish January 24, 2013 at 9:55 pm

heart!
btw, why are my elbows so high when I’m running?
Steph @321delish recently posted..Krank it Up!

22 Becky @ runfundone January 24, 2013 at 11:29 pm

Ha! My wedding was so DIY, that I didn’t have time to run! I was busy setting up decorations, then doing my own makeup and my own hair. Ack! Glad you got to run!
Becky @ runfundone recently posted..RSVP Yes! to the Dilettante Women’s Tri

23 Em January 25, 2013 at 6:23 am

I couldn’t run the morning of my wedding because my face gets really red from running and stays that way for hours afterward. I really didn’t want to deal with that with all the attention on me later in the day. I also got married at noon and would have had a horrible time trying to get my hair done in time.

24 Karen @ Runner Girl Eats January 25, 2013 at 8:17 am

Running is such a great way to start any day…especially a wedding day 🙂
Karen @ Runner Girl Eats recently posted..Friday Favorites

25 Elizabeth- My Neon Running Shoes January 25, 2013 at 8:29 am

LOVE the bright shoe picture!!! We also did a wedding day run! So fun!
Elizabeth- My Neon Running Shoes recently posted..Body image… a weighty topic.

26 Hilary January 25, 2013 at 9:18 am

Neon shoes! I neeeeed.

27 Meghan @ After the Ivy League January 25, 2013 at 10:48 am

Running the morning of your wedding sounds like a great idea! Perfect way to calm your nerves and energize you for everything you need to get done. Love the running shoes pic!
Meghan @ After the Ivy League recently posted..My First Tempo Run and A Survey

28 Lindsay January 25, 2013 at 11:09 am

My fiance & I are going to run 6.07 miles on the morning of our wedding. 6.07 is also the date of our wedding too!

29 The Many Thoughts of a Reader January 25, 2013 at 2:37 pm

<3 it!
The Many Thoughts of a Reader recently posted..Those Who Save Us – Final Discussion

30 Barry Wright, III January 26, 2013 at 12:32 pm

Not much to say besides the fact that this is a wonderful idea – passed it along to my girlfriend for future use!
Barry Wright, III recently posted..Hiccups

31 Caitlin January 31, 2013 at 4:11 pm

Doing something you love the morning of your big day is exactly what you deserve. I’m glad you got in a fun run and of course had champagne after! The bright sneaker pic is awesome.
Caitlin recently posted..One Lovely Blog Award!