Nubbins

by Meghann on January 24, 2013

Good morning!

It’s another beautiful morning in the Tampa Bay area. One of those mornings where you wish you could spend the whole day outside – cool temps, blue sky, and bright green grass all around – and make you grateful you live in Florida.

I had an “easy 3 miles” on my sub-48 10k plan this morning, so I put a leash on Maddie and took her with me. She can be a speedy little thing when she wants to, but generally she’s great at holding me back and keeping a steady 9:30ish pace. We did our usual out and back and returned with equal smiles on both our faces.

Something I’m learning about short hair – it’s generally out of control in the morning. Bed head can be somewhat manageable with longer hair (hello brush and ponytail holder!), but all the brushing in the world doesn’t seem to make the hair that’s sticking up in the back come back down with short hair. So i’m getting creative with how I wear my hair for runs.

Enter: pigtail nubbins

65847_10102650102066063_889658377_n.jpg

I can’t exactly pull all my hair in a ponytail, but I can divide it into two pigtails (sort of). Eh. With a headband it gets the job done of keeping the hair out of my face and I don’t have hair sticking up in every which direction. πŸ™‚

I had a mountain of blueberries and strawberries for breakfast this morning.

With some blood orange Chobani, walnuts, almonds, and Kashi Go Lean Crisp.

It was one of those mornings where I went to just put a handful of blueberries on top and ended up dumping the rest of the container. Whoops. Oh, well. It was berry-riffic.

What’s your favorite way to wear your hair when you exercise? Do you just throw it in a ponytail? Add a headband? Pigtails?

1 Katie @ running4cupcakes January 24, 2013 at 9:51 am

Ponytail all the way! And totally pigtails for short hair – or a running hat!
Katie @ running4cupcakes recently posted..Taco Pasta Bake

2 Lauren @ The Unlikely Runners January 24, 2013 at 9:52 am

My initial thought when I saw the title was of Chandler Bing on Friends and his third nipple that he calls a nubbin! Totally made me laugh!
Lauren @ The Unlikely Runners recently posted..The One About Gym Goers

3 Meghann January 24, 2013 at 10:17 am

haha- I forgot about that quote. Man, I miss Friends!

4 Jana @ Happy Wife Healthy Life January 24, 2013 at 9:52 am

My favorite way to wear my hair when exercising is just a simple ponytail with a headband… Or for running, a French braid is the best way to keep my hair from getting too tangled!

5 Emily January 24, 2013 at 9:52 am

I just recently donated my hair as well and my hubby says the bed hair is his favorite part since it really is out of control! Your nubbins look adorable though πŸ™‚
Emily recently posted..Tropical Green Smoothie in January

6 Anne January 24, 2013 at 9:52 am

My hair is on the long side and I have bangs So I like the headband and braid. I hate the ponytail “flop” especially during yoga πŸ™‚

Loving the short hair on you – so cute!

7 Maureen January 24, 2013 at 10:00 am

I have LONG hair, so ponytail all the way!
Maureen recently posted..6 Week Challenge

8 Courtney @ Journey of a Dreamer January 24, 2013 at 10:09 am

I love pigtails for short hair! That was all I could do for awhile too!
Courtney @ Journey of a Dreamer recently posted..Costa Rica Waterfall Repelling

9 Coco January 24, 2013 at 10:13 am

When my hair was super short- I wore a bandana.. pretty much every day (I was growing it out from a shaved head so it was almost 2 solid years of one!) These days, at the other side of the spectrum, I usually braid or twist my long bangs and secure with bobby pins and toss the rest in a pony.. At least you look cute with pigtails! πŸ™‚

10 Maureen January 24, 2013 at 10:16 am

I usually go with a ponytail and a headband. Sometimes I throw my hair up in a bun, but that’s usually if I know I’m going to be sweating a lot and want everything off the back of my neck.
Maureen recently posted..What Doesn’t Kill You Makes You Stronger

11 Christine @ BookishlyB January 24, 2013 at 10:18 am

Top knot for yoga, pony for all other workouts. Maybe a braid if I’m feeling fancy… Not being able to pull my hair up is a legitimate phobia- just ask my stylist.
Christine @ BookishlyB recently posted.."Sponsored" Review + Giveaway- Flimsy Little Plastic Miracles

12 NYC Fit GIrl January 24, 2013 at 10:18 am

haha I have super long hair so when I wake up it’s out of control.. Sometimes I want to cut it short but I feel like I am going to have the same issue with it short. No hair is perfect I guess!
NYC Fit GIrl recently posted..CrossFit Weight Loss and Improvements

13 Beth January 24, 2013 at 10:22 am

I definitely do the ponytail and headband to keep the little wispy hairs at bay. My hair is super fine and tangles really easily so I either have to wrap the ponytail up into a bun or braid it if I’m going to be running. I do think having longer hair is easier than having shorter hair because of the ponytail option.
Beth recently posted..Busy weekend

14 Kristy @ Kristy's Health Revolution January 24, 2013 at 10:25 am

As someone who spent the last year growing out a pixie cut, I can 100% back up the beauty of the pigtail nubbins. Not only are they great for running, but also great for that weird in-between almost mullet like stage of growing out a pixie cut!
Kristy @ Kristy’s Health Revolution recently posted..Well Played, Old Navy.

15 Dori January 24, 2013 at 10:26 am

My hair when I work out is such a “thing” for me. When I run I wear a regular ponytail and a headband to keep my bangs back and keep sweat from dripping into my eyes. But when I take a class — like spin or Refine (my cardio/strength combo class) — my hair HAS to be in a pretty high bun with headband because for some reason it really annoys the hell out of me to feel my hair wet with sweat on my body. Only certain types of ponytail holders can keep this bun in place.

16 Reenie January 24, 2013 at 10:37 am

I’ve had both short and long hair…. and long hair is easier in my opinion ~ cause you can pull it back. I wear a ballcap most of time when I workout ~ I don’t like my hair in my face πŸ™‚

17 Erin January 24, 2013 at 11:05 am

Ponytail all the way
Erin recently posted..Photo

18 [email protected] January 24, 2013 at 11:12 am

I’ve had my hair that short before – and did not like the fact that it was a pain to put up. Plus you are right – bed head and short hair can = disaster!

I usually have mine up in a ponytail – but I like to have pigtails for races!

19 [email protected] January 24, 2013 at 11:17 am

Ponytail. I can also rock some great braids. I mean one straight braid on each side!

The Kidless Kronicles
[email protected] recently posted..Another success

20 Natalie @ Free Range Human January 24, 2013 at 11:39 am

I’m all about the headbands! I have my favorite, and I can’t find another one like it. I’m going to be very sad when it finally gives out.
Natalie @ Free Range Human recently posted..WIAW: Super Sweet!

21 Elisabeth January 24, 2013 at 11:48 am

I’ve had pixie length hair pretty much my whole life (except for loooong hair for a couple years in HS/college – my hair’s just too thick for that!) – I totally get you on the beheading the morning! I look like Medusa πŸ˜‰

22 Elisabeth January 24, 2013 at 11:49 am

Ha…I mean bedhead! Gotta love autocorrect πŸ˜‰

23 catie January 24, 2013 at 11:59 am

I used to have really long hair until last May when I donated 12 inches. It’s still long enough to pile it all up on the top of my head in a messy top knot, so I rock the messy bun unless it’s really sunny, then I wear a hat and low bun. I cannot STAND the feel of hair on the back of my neck for some reason!

24 Silvia @ skinny jeans food January 24, 2013 at 12:10 pm

You look a little bit like Livi (Gina’s daughter) πŸ˜‰

Silvia @ skinny jeans food recently posted..Gangsta weather

25 Jenny January 24, 2013 at 12:12 pm

Ponytail! But then I have these crazy side bangs that always fall out, so sometimes (if I remember LOL) I’ll throw a headband over it to keep those bangs out of my eyes. I saw a really cute way to do a braid with the side bangs, but I am so hair inept that I couldn’t figure it out! πŸ™
Jenny recently posted..My new running partner!!

26 Carrie @ Fitness and Frozen Grapes January 24, 2013 at 12:36 pm

I have curly hair, so I usually braid my hair for workouts–gotta keep the curls under control. πŸ˜‰ During triathlons, I do two French braids, which works perfectly.
Carrie @ Fitness and Frozen Grapes recently posted..Top Health and Fitness Blogs Award

27 Angela January 24, 2013 at 12:38 pm

I have long hair so I usually just throw it into a braid.
Angela recently posted..Throwback Thursday {take three}

28 Karen January 24, 2013 at 12:44 pm

Argh hair problems! I braid my bangs and bobby pin them then do a French braid or ponytail. All of the hair has to be out of my face or it drives me crazy lol

29 Lindsay @ Running the Windy City January 24, 2013 at 12:49 pm

When my hair was really short, I’d just throw a hat over it and go. I was surprised how much the hat held back my hair and I had no issues with it falling in my face. It also helped that it was during the winter so sweating too much wasn’t an issue in Chicago but it may work with a baseball cap as well!
Lindsay @ Running the Windy City recently posted..{Goofy Challenge} Recovery

30 Annette @FitnessPerks January 24, 2013 at 12:57 pm

I use headbands –but my hair is always up in either a ponytail or bun type thing when I work out!
Annette @FitnessPerks recently posted..Eats on Days I Teach Fitness Classes

31 Rachel January 24, 2013 at 12:57 pm

I have a pixie cut and I’m with you on the bedhead. If I can’t tame my hair before my run by running my fingers through it, I just leave it a mess because it’s gonna get sweaty and the sweat will calm it down. Then I’ll come home and take a shower and it’s no big deal. I feel like working out/running is a no judgment zone so I always look a hot mess when I run. When my hair gets a little longer, I put it in a fountain ponytail on top of my head, just like I used to when I was a little kid!
Rachel recently posted..Happy National Peanut Butter Day!

32 [email protected] January 24, 2013 at 1:02 pm

Always have a ponytail and headband! Breakfast looks delish! Have you tried the new Chobani flavors….I’m loving the banana and have yet to try the pear.
[email protected] recently posted..Food Stuff

33 Jean January 24, 2013 at 1:03 pm

Dealing with short hair in the morning is so incredibly annoying! When my hair’s short, it only looks good when it’s been washed and dried so I’m usually scrambling to try to cover it in some way until I can get in the shower (this rarely works). If you can do a low ponytail (your hair doesn’t have to be as long as it does to put it in a high ponytail, although yours may still be too short), that can be a lifesaver.

34 Katie @ Peace Love & Oats January 24, 2013 at 1:05 pm

I’ve always had medium to long hair, so I just pull it back in a pony tail with a headband! However it’s getting really long and pony tail whacks me in the face… so I’m thinking of putting it up in a bun now.
Katie @ Peace Love & Oats recently posted..Thursday Thoughts

35 April January 24, 2013 at 1:34 pm

Your hair looks so cute! I have your same cut and that is usually what I do during workouts: pigtails or hair clips and then a headband so that the shorter pieces don’t keep freakin’ out on me.
April recently posted..Friday Favorites

36 Courtney January 24, 2013 at 1:44 pm

Messy bun for me… and a sparkly headband, if I’m feeling sassy! πŸ˜‰

37 Katie @ Talk Less, Say More January 24, 2013 at 2:18 pm

LOVE me some blueberries. No such thing as “too many” in my opinion! πŸ™‚
Katie @ Talk Less, Say More recently posted..Confessions

38 Katie January 24, 2013 at 2:57 pm

I like to do a half pony for the hair on top, a half pony on the bottom, and another to hold them together in one. Plus a headband. I ALWAYS have either a headband or a hat on.
Katie recently posted..On This Day…

39 Caitlin January 24, 2013 at 4:50 pm

Prior to discovering Sweaty Bands and having short hair I use to just pull the front part, really just my bangs, back in a small pony tail and it never bothered me. If I still had short hair I’d probably do the same thing + wear a Sweaty Band. Now that’s down my back I pile it on top of my head in a messy bun.

40 Brianne January 24, 2013 at 5:11 pm
41 Joelle (on a pink typewriter) January 24, 2013 at 7:01 pm

I always do a ponytail, plus a baseball cap if running. I never run without a hat!

42 Marty January 24, 2013 at 9:33 pm

I had long hair all my life and then chopped it off in a bob similar to yours about 1 1/2 years ago. After experimenting with every headband and scrungie imaginable, I stuck with a Head Sweats visor (most comfy ever!) and left my hair down underneath it every time I went running. It’s the most comfortable and you won’t even realize you have your hair down. At the gym, it was always a headband (I like Bondiband) and a small clip,or 2 if needed, clipping the sides back as far as I could. Hope this helps.

43 Lindsay January 24, 2013 at 10:17 pm

I’m surprised you haven’t tried wearing a hat yet! It’s the best way to cover messy short hair, in my opinion.

44 Hilary January 25, 2013 at 9:21 am

I have super crazy bed head after I chopped my hair pixie short last year.. Hats do wonders! Otherwise I just let it go and let me crazy hair fly. haha πŸ™‚

45 Running Betty February 9, 2013 at 10:46 pm

When my hair is shorter, I like to wear it down with a Bondi Band. When it is longer I usually make a french braid. I do a lot of lying on my back when stretching or doing yoga and a ponytail gets in the way, also while driving to the location I am working out in – I don’t like that bump behind my head!