belVita Breakfast Biscuits

by Meghann on January 23, 2013

Good morning! Happy Hump Day!

Maddie and I needed a little extra rest this morning, so we pressed snooze a couple of time and enjoyed an extra long walk around the neighborhood before starting work. It was a beautiful morning for a walk, plus the book I’m currently listening to (“Gone Girl”) is just getting good. I’ll admit that I didn’t understand what all the fuss was about at first (I really despised the lead male), but it has perked up and now I’m actually curious to see how it ends.

After our walk I wanted to try the new breakfast biscuits that belVita had sent me to review.

Though I’ve only recently seen the belVita Breakfast Biscuits pop-up locally at Publix, they’re a brand that started in France over 10 years ago and are currently available in 23 countries. I like the fact that they come in a variety of flavors ( blueberry, golden oat, cinnamon brown sugar, chocolate and apple cinnamon) and don’t taste like cardboard.

Each individual package of 4 crunchy biscuits is portioned for breakfast and provides 18-20 grams of whole grains, 3 grams of fiber and 4 grams of protein. According to the materials, belVita Breakfast biscuits are specially baked to release energy regularly and continuously, giving you nutritious sustained energy all morning.

When they first arrived a week ago I automatically opened the chocolate package for a sample. The taste reminded of a chocolate graham cracker while the texture was more of a Biscoff cookie. I ate one belVita Breakfast Biscuit straight from the package and sprinkled the rest on plain yogurt with berries. The crispiness of the biscuit held up nicely in the yogurt and gave the bowl a nice added crunch. The flavor was right too, you rally can’t go wrong with a chocolate cookie with yogurt.

This morning I wanted to try the Cinnamon Brown Sugar belVita Breakfast Biscuit on it’s own with a side of apple and almond butter to round out the meal.

My one complaint about the breakfast biscuits is you’re never going to get four whole biscuits in a package. They’re usually broken in pieces, which isn’t a big deal, but be warned that crumbs go everywhere.

I thought the Cinnamon Brown Sugar flavor was great on it’s own. I could close my eyes and assume I’m eating an extra large Biiscoff on a flight somewhere. There was a bit of a nutty, grainy texture to it, but nothing crazy. I ended up pairing the breakfast biscuits with the apple slices and almond butter to make mini biscuit/apple/almond butter sandwiches as the breakfast biscuits were a bit dry all on their own.

Overall I really liked the taste and texture of the belVita Breakfast Biscuits. They’d make great a great snack to grab on the go and can be made part of a complete breakfast when paired with apples and nut butter or crushed on top of yogurt with nuts and berries. The sugar count is a little high (10g), but that’s to be expected for anything that tastes like a cookie. The rest of the stats are pretty comparable with a cup of cereal, which I’m betting is why they’re marketing it as a breakfast biscuit and not a cookie. Not something you’d eat everyday, but a nice treat when you want to treat yourself.

Now I’m curious to see how this “sustained energy” lasts through the morning. 😉

Have you ever tried a breakfast biscuit?

FitFluential LLC compensated me for this Campaign. All opinions are my own

1 Katie @ Peace Love and Oats January 23, 2013 at 10:29 am

I actually disliked how Gone Girl ended, but I enjoyed the book. You should definitely check out her other two books: Dark Places and Sharp Objects!
Katie @ Peace Love and Oats recently posted..WIAW–Last First Day of the Semester

2 Carly January 23, 2013 at 10:44 am

I had a BelVita biscuit/cookie package on a flight from Phoenix to NJ…I spotted them in the bookstore at the gate and figured they were better then a candy bar. Due to time zone wonkiness, they wound up being my lunch, and I didn’t actually notice that was all I ate until I got home. So they are definitely filling!
Carly recently posted..Orp Smart Horn Will Improve Safety and Visibility for Cyclists on the Road

3 Kristy @ Kristy's Health Revolution January 23, 2013 at 10:44 am

Ugh, I hated ALL the characters in Gone Girl! It was so frustrating! But I could NOT put the book down because I needed to know what happened!

As for the Belvita cookies, I’ll be curious to know how you feel about them later today. I just can’t see cookies tiding me over all morning. I’ve seen these at the grocery store and I’ve been tempted, but if it’s worth it, they are also a little pricey for what they are.
Kristy @ Kristy’s Health Revolution recently posted..Healthy Living Survey

4 Michael Anderson January 23, 2013 at 11:51 am

I am fairly early in reading it, but so far I agree – not fond of any of the characters. But there is a certain hook that is keeping me interested.

As opposed to ‘The Fault in Our Stars’, which was also a top book from last year – and I absolutely TORE through that one!
Michael Anderson recently posted..Orp Smart Horn Will Improve Safety and Visibility for Cyclists on the Road

5 [email protected] January 23, 2013 at 11:29 am

They sound good. Maybe a good alternative to my protein bars!

The Kidless Kronicles

6 Meghan @ After the Ivy League January 23, 2013 at 11:37 am

I keep hearing about these breakfast biscuits on the radio. I’ll have to look out for them next time I’m grocery shopping, I’m curious to try them out!
Meghan @ After the Ivy League recently posted..WIAW #18 and Actually Training for This 5k

7 TorontoRunner January 23, 2013 at 11:38 am

oooh never heard of BelVita, thanks for the review!
TorontoRunner recently posted..Birthday Flashback – In Pictures!

8 Amanda January 23, 2013 at 11:53 am

I haven’t read Gone Girl yet but I’ve had friends that read and raved.

I love the BelVita’s! Oat is my favorite but the chocolate are excellent too. I usually eat two from a package before working out in the morning.
Amanda recently posted..Red coat and yummies

9 Annette @FitnessPerks January 23, 2013 at 12:06 pm

I read Gone Girl–I too didn’t like many of the characters. It was definitely a book that keeps you interested & hooked the whole time though. Not my fav read though.

Those do look tasty!
Annette @FitnessPerks recently posted..Science Behind Les Mills’ GRIT Series / HIIT

10 Stellina @ My Yogurt Addiction January 23, 2013 at 12:45 pm

I’ve never tried them, but I totally would! They look yummy next to a cup of coffee as a morning or afternoon snack.
Stellina @ My Yogurt Addiction recently posted..How to Learn to LOVE Exercise

11 Melissa January 23, 2013 at 1:06 pm

I just had an omg moment. For the past week or so I’ve heard commercials on the radio for what I thought were “Velveeta Breakfast Biscuits.” This makes much more sense!
Melissa recently posted..Jeff’s portrait of our Scottish Terrier. The resemblance…

12 erica January 23, 2013 at 1:51 pm

my mom likes those biscuits!
i’ve tasted them, and they’re pretty good!
erica recently posted..coffee, tea, or me?

13 [email protected] January 23, 2013 at 8:15 pm

Totally bizarre coincidence but I bought some of these today. Weird. They are pretty good I have to say!

14 Sandy July 31, 2013 at 2:45 pm

I LOVE the blueberry biscuits by themselves & so do all my friends. Usually there’s a broken biscuit in the pack, but that doesn’t bother me! Thanks for the great taste on days when I don’t have time for a sit down meal.
PS Sometimes I’ll have them for dessert.