more ยป" />

Slow Cooker Cuban Pork

by Meghann on January 22, 2013

I almost didn’t go to swim practice tonight. Almost.

When I stepped outside an hour before practice there was a bit of chill in the air (not exactly encouraging swim weather). Then I got a group text from my coach informing the team he wouldn’t make it. He wasn’t the only one, the majority of the group had other obligations and wouldn’t be at the pool either. By the end it looked like my teammate Chris and I would be the only ones able to go.

I was close to bailing. Really close. But besides the coolish temps outside I really didn’t have an excuse not to go. I hadn’t been in the pool in a month and really needed a swim. Not only that, I was actually looking forward to my swim. Dinner was already cooking in the crock pot, my brain needed a break from working on a big project, and I was still feeling motivated after my awesome run this morning.

So I got in my car and went.

20130122_185241.jpg

Chris and I were the only ones at the pool. It was quiet, peaceful, and a lot warmer in the water than it was on the deck. I’m actually glad that Chris was the only one that could make practice. We’re about the same pace so we didn’t have to worry about having to play catch up all practice and in between sets we were able to discuss bikes (he’s going to help me purchase one this week! yay!).

I’m also really thankful our coach sent us to practice with a swim workout that didn’t kill us. He knew we were both out of practice and gave us a workout to get us used to being in the water again.

• 200 yd warm up
  • 6 x 25 yd kick
  • 30×25 yd @ :40
  • 400 yd steady
  • 100 yd cool down
  • Total: 1600 yd

If only all our workouts looked like that. ;)

20130122_185313.jpg

All done!

Before swim practice I made a yummy pineapple/ blueberry vanilla protein smoothie.

IMG_7764.jpg IMG_7767.jpg

• frozen pineapple
  • fresh blueberries
  • milk
  • ice
  • vanilla whey protein powder
  • chia seeds

As I mentioned earlier, I started dinner at lunchtime.

Man, I love my crock pot. Seriously one of the best wedding gifts we received. It’s just so easy!

I saw a pork picnic at Publix on Sunday and wanted to try a spanish twist on it. My dad makes an amazing cuban pork so I took the basics of his recipe and adapted it to what I had on hand (I opted for lime instead of the sour oranges he usually uses).

• 3 lb pork picnic
  • 1 yellow onion
  • 3 garlic cloves
  • 1/2 cup fresh cilantro
  • 1/2 cup mojo sauce
  • 1 lime

Start by slicing the onion and scattering it on the bottom of the crock pot.

Then chop the garlic, poke holes in the pork, and place the garlic in the holes.

Place the pork in the crock pot.

Squeeze the juice of one lime on top

Finish with mojo sauce and cilantro

Cook on low for 8 hours

Pork should be falling off the bone and semi-shreddable.

I tore the meat away from the bone with a fork and served on top of mixed greens with avocado.

The pork was good. It was very moist and full of flavor. It was also nice coming home to dinner already prepped and ready to eat. Three cheers for the crock pot!

The pork was served with a side of steam-in-a-bag brussels sprouts.

Now that I have a happy tummy I am ready for bed.

Good night!

1 Hope January 22, 2013 at 10:21 pm

I have my crock pot going right now! With a wee one in the house it’s so easy to prep everything during his morning nap, then not have to worry about dinner if his bedtime routine doesn’t go to plan!

Also FYI – from your first paragraph, unless your couch has arms I think you got a text from your coach…. And also swim weather, not wether.

2 Sara @ LovingOnTheRun January 22, 2013 at 10:26 pm

We have almost 2 feet of snow here and after I had finished working today I almost talked myself out of going to the gym to get my workout in as well! Sometimes you just have to push yourself out the door and do it! Good for your for pulling through! That dinner looks delicous!

3 MrsSwan January 22, 2013 at 10:27 pm

Yummy! BBQ pork chops here from the fantastic sale Publix had a few weeks ago.

4 Liz @ Tip Top Shape January 22, 2013 at 10:35 pm

This looks delicious!!! Great recipe!

5 Amanda Bordonaro January 22, 2013 at 11:07 pm

I had to push myself out the door for a run today. It was well below freezing (-25 Celcius) but I have a race Sunday so it had to be done! when i got going, i was happy i was out there – Even when my eyelashes froze together on the sides, haha. Gotta love Canada!

6 Becky @ runfundone January 22, 2013 at 11:16 pm

I TOTALLY bailed on swim practice tonight. Work was stressing me out, and I needed time to think and plan for a presentation tomorrow. But now I feel super guilty. Whoopsie!

7 Blogging Runner January 23, 2013 at 1:01 am

I used to swim all of the time and I don’t anymore for no reason. This post made me want to jump right back into the pool.

8 Hope @ With A Side Of Hope January 23, 2013 at 7:04 am

Dinner looks yummy! I’ve never had pork before! I wouldn’t even know what it’s supposed to taste like. I do love using my crockpot though. It does make everything so much easier :)

9 Katie @ Peace Love & Oats January 23, 2013 at 8:11 am

I always want to bail on workouts, but I always feel better when I get it done! Good job! Haha like right now I want to bail since my internet won’t load the video I’m trying to do!

10 sara @ fitcupcaker January 23, 2013 at 8:33 am

this looks so good..we had pork tenderloin last night that I prepped at my wildtree party! I love my crockpot too!

11 Jessica January 23, 2013 at 8:58 am

Coming from a Cuban your pork sounds delicious. I probably would have just added the adobo powder to give it that extra bit of flavor. But I have made it without and it’s still yummy!

12 Meghann January 23, 2013 at 10:29 am

Thanks, Jess! :)

13 Charlie (The Runner Beans) January 23, 2013 at 9:08 am

Wish we could swim outside here year round. Do you have any traithlon swimming training plans that you could recommend? It is going to be my weakest leg!

14 Meghann January 23, 2013 at 10:28 am

I don’t. I would suggest connecting with a local swim group or tri-group and training with them. That’s the only way I was able to commit to my swim training and it’s the best way to improve on form.

15 Natalie @ Free Range Human January 23, 2013 at 9:35 am

Crock Pots are definitely awesome! I’ve been trying out a bunch of new stuff with mine lately, and I’m in love!

16 Emily N January 23, 2013 at 9:50 am

glad you made it to practice. Nice job!

17 Karen @ Runner Girl Eats January 23, 2013 at 10:05 am

Cuban pork is one of my all time favorite meals. I haven’t had it in a while but you have me drooling right now!

18 Amber @ Busy, Bold, Blessed January 23, 2013 at 12:38 pm

Yes! I have a whole chicken in my crockpot right now. I’m looking forward to coming home to dinner already being done!

19 The Many Thoughts of a Reader January 25, 2013 at 2:49 pm

That looks delicious. I feel like an idiot, but what is mojo sauce?