more ยป" />

Back to Speed

by Meghann on January 22, 2013

Bam! It feels good to be back!

I set out on my first tempo run since last April this morning. It. Was. Awesome. Seriously.

Truthfully, I was nervous. My sub-48:00 10k plan called for 5 miles total with 3 miles of tempo at an 8:30ish pace. 9 months ago I would have saw that and thought no problem – this would be an easy run. Today I wasn’t so sure I could do it. I’ve done very limited speedwork since the Flying Pig marathon and all the runs I have done have mainly been short and unfocused – I was just running to run, not really with any goal or purpose. My average speeds have been relatively slow (for me) and I haven’t really fought to change that until now.

Now I’m ready to build that speed back up. I started with a mile warm-up, then kicked it into gear for the center three before cooling down for the final mile. I wasn’t sure I could hold the 8:30 pace for the three miles (which shows just how out of shape I feel since my final goal is to run 6.2 miles 45 seconds faster than that pace), but I don’t always give my body as much credit as it deserves. I may not be on top of my speed game, but that doesn’t mean I’m completely out of shape. I’ve still been running regularly and my legs are strong thanks to my new CrossFit addiction. Holding the 8:30 pace was tough, but still manageable. I couldn’t believe it when I checked my pace a 1/2 mile in and saw that I was pretty close to my target and didn’t feel like I was going to die. Woo hoo!

I ended up averaging a little more than the 8:30 pace (8:34 was my average for the three miles according to Mr. Gamin) and I couldn’t be happier to hit that. If anything those miles gave me the confidence I needed to remind myself that I could do this. That my sub-48 goal is possible with a little training. This is just a starting off point and I’m ready to see where it goes.

I was so inspired after my run that I even logged onto my DailyMile account to document it.

Screen shot 2013-01-22 at 9.22.36 AM.png

I was obsessed with DailyMile last spring when I was training for my big PRs, but sort of let it slip by the wayside in the months that followed. My last entry was 4 months before – whoops! DailyMile is a great encouraging community of runners and triathletes. If you’re training for a big race or just want to keep track of you mini goals and running accomplishments it’s a great community to be a part of. Are you a member? Let’s be training buddies!

Breakfast!!

It’s hard to tell in the photos, but there’s oatmeal with a dollop of almond butter under all those berries and nuts.

Loved the post-run fuel!

I am so pumped for this new training season! I was really burnt out last summer and am thrilled I gave myself an extended break to recover. Game on!

1 Nicole@TheKidlessKronicles January 22, 2013 at 10:13 am

I have been dealing with the knee and IT Band but I really feel like the break is going to help me come back stronger than ever (thanks to crosstraining) and really motivated with some aggressive new goals. I PR’d 5k and 10k distances at the end of 2012 (which contributed to injury???) and I hope to improve on those times.

The Kidless Kronicles

2 lisa fine @ vermont vittles January 22, 2013 at 10:20 am

Nice run! That’s awesome. I took over two months off from running, and got back into it on January 1st. It feels so good to be running again – just wish I had temperatures more like yours in winter to get myself outside!

3 Army Amy* January 22, 2013 at 10:20 am

I used to never ever ever do speed work. I started doing it regularly in December, and I’m surprised by how much I like it. It makes my runs just the right amount challenging. Hopefully it will pay off for both of us!*

4 Katie @ Balanced RD January 22, 2013 at 10:31 am

I have never heard of Daily Mile! I am training for my first 1/2 marathon so I will have to check it out!

5 NYC Fit GIrl January 22, 2013 at 10:39 am

Yay for new training season! i just wish it was as warm in NYC as it is in Florida!

6 Kate January 22, 2013 at 10:52 am

I absolutely LOVE DailyMile, just added you as a friend! It is such a great community that helps keep me motivated.

7 Meghan @ After the Ivy League January 22, 2013 at 10:58 am

Great tempo run!! Must feel great to be back on your game. Training is so much better when you have a goal to work towards!

8 Alicia at Poise in Parma January 22, 2013 at 11:22 am

Daily Mile is quite addicting while in the training process. I loved the weekly recap emails it would send. Almost makes me want to sign up for another long distance race… almost!

9 Michelle January 22, 2013 at 11:41 am

Yay speedwork!! I am just ITCHING to run fast right now – funny how that always happens when you can’t.

I think my favorite part of Daily Mile is the email I get each week telling me how awesome I am for working out. Hee! We’re friends on there, right?

10 Meghann January 22, 2013 at 11:52 am

I’m pretty sure we are, but I can’t figure out how to search my friends for confirmation. What’s the link to your profile?

11 Michelle January 22, 2013 at 12:38 pm

It’s: http://www.dailymile.com/people/mwright626

I checked and I think we are. They need to make it more “stalker friendly” lol.

12 Meghann January 22, 2013 at 1:06 pm

Yep. We are. :)

13 Karen @ Runner Girl Eats January 22, 2013 at 11:47 am

Congrats on the good tempo. Nothing beats a run that surprises you for the better!

14 TorontoRunner January 22, 2013 at 11:53 am

Veeeeeeery nice!!

15 Annette @FitnessPerks January 22, 2013 at 11:55 am

Nice job on the run! Right now I am so over ‘training’ & racing, so it’s kinda fun to see you excited!

16 Gianna January 22, 2013 at 11:56 am

Nice run! And I think it’s true about giving your body more credit. Off to a great start in training.

I am so ready to get back to some speed work after my marathon! I miss it!

17 Katie @ Peace Love & Oats January 22, 2013 at 12:37 pm

Congrats on a great run! I LOVE Daily Mile, it’s a great way to keep my running stats over time.

18 Ashley @ Eat Run Live Happy January 22, 2013 at 1:17 pm

I’m a sucker for food pictures, that looks amazing and now I’m hungry! I was doing so good and then I went through a stressful time and I haven’t ran in over a week! Someone slap me!

19 Emily N January 22, 2013 at 3:29 pm

great work adding the speed back in. :)

20 catie January 22, 2013 at 4:52 pm

great tempo run, those are my favorites! i’ve been on the fence about joining daily mile, but your post pushed me over the fence! i just added you…yay for virtual friends. :) i’m just getting back into the running swing after being sidelined last fall with an IT band issue after my first half. but i signed up for another half in may, so time to get on it!

21 broccolihut January 22, 2013 at 8:01 pm

I love daily mile! I forgot about it when I was injured and couldn’t run but I’ve made a point of using it again since the new year.