more ยป" />

Wedding: Race Bib Inspired Table Numbers

by Meghann on January 21, 2013

Let me paint you a picture. It’s the day after the wedding and Derek and I are getting ready to go to my parents’ house for brunch. After not checking my phone for 16 hours (that had to be a new record!) I decide to check my Facebook and see if anyone posted photos from the wedding.

The first one I saw was a photo of our table numbers that Allison had posted the night before.

603239_10101496468102771_1110006913_n.jpg

And right below it I saw this message.

Screen shot 2013-01-21 at 11.32.36 AM.jpg

January 15th? What? Crap.

I quickly check my email for the original PDFs and sure enough there’s January 15th there. I look up at Derek and immediately say, “The internet is going to have a field day. Our tables numbers had January 15th on them.” then proceed to pout.

My new husband looks back at me and laughs. He sits next to me, wraps his arms around me, and proceeds to remind me how awesome of a night it was. He told me that if he was being honest he didn’t even see what our table numbers looked like, that he was only looking at me the night before and he liked what he saw. It was a great wedding and if the table numbers were the only thing that went wrong then it was a success.

He was right. The truth was I never got a good look at them either, I was too busy talking, dancing, and being with my new husband to pay attention to the table numbers. It was an amazing day and I would rather have had the wrong date on our table numbers than have it pour down rain. Of all the things that could have gone really, really wrong, we got off easy with the table numbers.

Still, knowing that the table numbers had the wrong date (which I take full blame for not noticing before the wedding), I still loved them. Really, really loved them.

The idea for the table number actually started with this inspiration photo.

savethedate-jf2.jpg

(check out the full post here)

The couple had sent race bib inspired save-the-dates to their friends and family, which I loved. I was wanting to work in some sort of race-themed detail (since Derek proposed at the finish line of Ragnar last January) and thought I could transfer the race bib save-the-date idea to table numbers.

Now I only needed to come up with what numbers to use for the bibs. Taking some inspiration from the popular “Love Story” pin I’ve seen all over pinterest – I had my idea.

lyndseykobywedding-0063.jpg

(source)

We would use important dates from our relationship for the numbers. Perfect.

We had 21 tables, which meant 21 important dates. We’d been dating 4 years (+ a year in college), so it shouldn’t have been hard to come up with 21 important dates, right? Umm… apparently it was. I started off great thinking up some big moments (our first kiss, the date we reunited, when Derek proposed, etc.), but I definitely had to stretch it out towards the end with random trips we took and throwing our parents’ anniversaries in for a touch of luck (important to note that both sets of parents are still happily married ๐Ÿ™‚ ). It helped having a blog so I could I pull the exact date for a lot of the occasions as well.

01.05.13 Wedding Day

04.08.84 Groom’s Birthday

02.08.85 Bride’s Birthday

04.24.05 Emily introduces the Groom to the Bride for the first time

11.08.05 Bride and Groom share their first kiss at AJ’s

11.14.08 After two years apart, the Bride and Groom reunite at Bullwinkles in Tallahassee

01.17.09 The Bride and Groom share too many hurricanes and realize there’s still a spark

02.15.09 The Groom tells the Bride he wants to be with her

05.31.09 Groom travels to San Diego to cheer for the Bride at her first marathon

07.03.09 Bride and Groom take first cruise together

08.03.09 Bride and Groom welcome Maddie into their lives

10.20.09 Bride and Groom are “Facebook Official”

03.12.10 The Groom makes the Bride dinner for the first time

04.30.10 Bride and Groom travel to San Francisco

10.03.10 Groom catches the Bride’s running bug and runs first half marathon

03.05.11 The Brides moves to Tampa to live with the Groom

06.03.11 Marley is born, Groom and Bride become Uncle Bubba & Aunt Meghann

11.26.11 The Groom buys the ring, starts planning the proposal

01.08.12 The Groom proposes at the Ragnar Relay finish line in Key West

11.13.82 Parents of the bride’s wedding anniversary

03.18.78 Parents of the groom’s wedding anniversary

To make the table numbers, I enlisted the design skills of the very talented Katie (who designed our wedding invitations). She took my vision and ran with it. I loved the finish product!

042405.jpg

It’s funny how the January 15 is the first thing I notice when I look at these now. When Katie first sent them to me I was so busy reviewing the other dates and information that I never noticed it. It was 100% my fault for not seeing the error when I reviewed them. Oh well. Nothing I can do about it now.

010812.jpg

We had all the numbers printed at the local Staples on cream paper and they were done within the hour. We cut them at home (and saved ourselves $3 per sheet!) and glued them together to make them double sided.

tablenumbertable.jpg

(image credit: fANNEtasticfood.com)

The table numbers were a really personal detail that I treasure looking back on. I hope our guests had fun exploring the tables and seeing what all the important dates were. I had planned to do a cute board with a timeline of the dates and corresponding photos, but I ran out of time and energy. Something I learned as a bride – you can’t do it all!

MeghannWedding23.jpg

(image credit: Jessica Wuller)

What did you do for table numbers at your wedding?

1 Chelsea January 21, 2013 at 1:31 pm

To answer your question, we did movie titles as our table numbers. My husband works in film and he’s a HUGE movie buff and we go see movies all the time. He asked if we could do that, and so we did (he was SOOOO “whatever you want!” about the whole thing that whenever he did ask for something, it was hard to say no!). I just insisted that they be somewhat romantic and older movies, so that it wouldn’t be like, “Oh, where are you sitting?” “The ‘Terminator’ table!”

I made 4×6 print-outs of the movie posters in black & white (another reason why they had to be older movies, all the posters had to be drawing/art-like, and not current movie posters where it’s photos). We put them in two-sided white frames from IKEA. On the other side, I made 4×6 print-outs of the movie title written out, in case it was harder to tell from the poster side. Those print-outs matched the rest of our signage, too, which was good.

Anyway, but the point is, to add, if there’s anything I learned in three-months post wedding about weddings themselves, it’s that you’ll always be able to beat yourself up over what went wrong. In the end, hopefully people had fun (I’m sure a typo couldn’t have caused them not to!), and you’re married, and while it’s hard to let go of the other stuff because you spend so long deeply ensconced in all the little details, it’s just something you’ve got to do to move on. Our wedding ended up being unseasonably cold and we hadn’t space heaters because everyone said we didn’t need them. I still feel really bad about people being “miserable” because they were cold (to be fair, my words, not theirs), but have to let it go.

Anyway, all this is way too long to say that you’ll soon be able to look at the photos of your table numbers and laugh it off soon (at least I hope!).

2 Lissy January 21, 2013 at 1:43 pm

you should have made something up. Oh yeah, 1/15, that’s how long our doctor said we had to live. Guess he was wrong! phew!

we just had regular table numbers, but we had a super cute polar bear manning the tables: http://silvercpu.com/zenphoto/albums/2010/wedding2/E%26B-083.jpg

this is the second time today I commented on your blog. I guess I really don’t want to work…
Lissy recently posted..Yes, Snow, in Canada

3 Katie @ Peace Love & Oats January 21, 2013 at 2:24 pm

Haha I just wonder how no one noticed before the wedding! Clearly they were too cute otherwise to see that “1” there. I love the idea, and I bet that was hard to come up with 21 important dates!
Katie @ Peace Love & Oats recently posted..Book Clubโ€“Heartsick

4 meghan January 21, 2013 at 2:28 pm

Haha! That’s just a funny little detail to remember! My table numbers were so last minute. I just made them in Photoshop and printed out numbers with light circles in the background to match the programs that I also printed last minute. I literally picked them up from the printer and dropped them off at the wedding location the day before the wedding!

5 maren January 21, 2013 at 3:46 pm

I LOVE LOVE LOVE your table numbers (and I admit that I am a little flashed as I posted the idea under your entry asking for ideas…ego maniac that I am, haha). I think they are beautiful and I love how you combined your love for races, the proposal AND special dates for you guys all in one (just that there might be a mistake on the list – two parents of the bride’s wedding anniversaries?!). It is so cool! And the design is just so lovely.
And – the wrong date just makes it more special. I mean, now you will remember the table numbers FOR SURE for the rest of your lives. ๐Ÿ™‚

No table numbers here. Not only because I am not married but also because German’s are not really into table numbers (well, not too late for me to change it).

6 Angela January 21, 2013 at 3:50 pm

Oh well! There’s always something that goes wrong… not a big deal! ๐Ÿ™‚ For my wedding we took pictures at significant places in our relationship.
Angela recently posted..Merci Chocolates

7 lauren January 21, 2013 at 4:53 pm

I was the first of my friends to get married 4 years ago and didn’t think to do anything cute for table numbers – It was pre-pinterest! We used the numbers they provided for us and I printed out the name cards at home on my printer using a nice font on cute cards with a silver heart in the corner.

8 Anna January 21, 2013 at 4:59 pm

When I got married a few years ago, we had an outdoor wedding in the mountains. We had 120 people and let this advice guide us – no one, including you, will remember all the wedding details. People only remember if it was a good time and there was plenty of food, booze, and music. It’s true – 4 years later I don’t remember many details. We did plain tables with white linens because it wasn’t worth the effort. I think I would feel differently if we had an indoor wedding but we had a gorgeous backdrop of snow capped mountains which helped. I do remember we threw a hell of a party for 2 days and we got to spend tons of time with our guests. I felt like the less details meant less stress (and money) and more enjoyment.

9 Maggie January 21, 2013 at 11:02 pm

Who cares about the dates! They are super cute and unique to you and Derek. I’m sure people were having such a great time that they didn’t even notice. ๐Ÿ™‚ Love all of the special dates, too!
Maggie recently posted..A Grateful Sunday

10 Mrs W. January 22, 2013 at 3:57 pm

We didn’t have table numbers because I went the open seating route. About your comment over running out of time an energy ๐Ÿ˜‰ I ran out of gusto to do assigned seating so I said it would be open seating with a few tables “reserved” for immediate family/grandparents since they would most likely be occupied with pictures to grab seats. It worked for us and I never heard any one mention a thing about it. Maybe our family/friends are just that comfortable?

I had wanted to do significant numbers for tables. Ie our ages when we met, got engaged and married, how many miles we traveled to see eachother as a long distance couple etc.
Mrs W. recently posted..we are (now) cat people

11 Reenie January 22, 2013 at 4:37 pm

Those are adorable. If someone would have noticed…. it would have been easy to take a black sharpie to black-0ut the 1. But…. like Derek said ~ if that’s all that was wrong…. no big deal. ๐Ÿ˜‰

12 Reenie January 22, 2013 at 4:38 pm

Wanted to add… love the flower arrangements and the little snowflakes. Can’t wait to see more pics.

13 Annette @FitnessPerks January 22, 2013 at 5:29 pm

There’s always something wrong at a wedding–and you’re right, these look awesome anyways, so who cares?? I really love these. GREAT idea!!
Annette @FitnessPerks recently posted..Sparkly + Awesome + Things to Avoid

14 Steph January 22, 2013 at 6:35 pm

I say celebrate 2 anniversaries! Whooo hoo!
Steph recently posted..Mind-Changing Black Bean Soup

15 Stacey January 22, 2013 at 6:55 pm

Despite the incorrect date, the table numbers were adorable. In fact, all of your wedding posts have been so fun to read. It’s clear that your wedding weekend was filled with love and really that is so much more important than perfect decorations.

16 Becky January 22, 2013 at 8:24 pm

I was born on your 4th birthday! I got really excited when I read your birthday. I feel like nobody has February birthdays…which I kind of like too! Its coming up!

17 Karen January 22, 2013 at 10:42 pm

Love the bibs! So cute and personal. And if the worst thing that happened is the wrong wedding date, I think you had a pretty sweet wedding:)
Karen recently posted..A ruined run and a lady bug infestation

18 MegG January 23, 2013 at 12:10 am

Phew! If that was the only thing that went wrong at your wedding you are definitely lucky! The music walking into the ceremony was crackling because we didn’t check the sound system the night before when we picked up the speakers. Everyone has their “one thing”. My husband was amazing in making our table numbers, he carved out the Seattle skyline from balsa wood, we both spray painted them black and then I hand painted names of different Seattle neighborhoods on them in white, ended up working out well!
MegG recently posted..Short weekend at home

19 Alice Ross July 18, 2013 at 12:33 pm

Do you know where the couple had their save the dates done? I love it. I got proposed to recently in Hawaii in a relay half marathon. I did the first half my fiance did the second half. When I was done I was bussed back to the finish line and ran in with him when he was close to the finish so we could finish together then he popped the question. I want to do a running themed wedding and wanted to know where I could get the save the dates done as a bib.