more ยป" />

Fight Gone Bad

by Meghann on January 21, 2013

Happy Monday!

My Monday was off to a good start thanks to this bad boy!

20130121_074415.jpg

Fight Gone Bad WOD

3 Rounds of:

@1 minute each set w/ 1 minute of rest in between each full round

Did you see that number next to the SDHP? The 55? THAT’S a number I could get on board with! Today’s WOD focused more on speed and number of reps than PRing weight, so it was the first WOD in a while I actually stood a chance at RXing (RX means you complete the workout with the prescribed weight). Woo hoo!

It was actually a number our whole class could all RX with (double woo hoo!) so we split the 5 of us in a group of 3 and a group of 2 and shared bars for the workout. We used the same weight for the push press as the SDHP and had 14lb balls for the wall balls outside (funny story – I had pulled a 12lb ball out for the workout, but my coach switched it out for the 14 when I wasn’t looking and I didn’t notice it until we started the workout. further proof that we are stronger than we think we are!)

20130121_074329.jpg

I’m so glad I was in the group that started with the wall balls. Wall balls are tough and it helped to feel semi-refreshed thanks to the minute rest between each round. I averaged 20 wall balls per minute per round.

Next we the SDHPs which felt great at the semi-light weight of 55lbs, but were a challenge after the wall balls. We had no rest between each station and had to immediately dive in to the next set after the minute was up. I would pop out 10 or so SDHPs then feel exhausted and need to rest before finishing the set with 5 or so more reps.

The box jumps were another exhausting element, but easier to push out knowing it was just my body weight. We were told to carry an ongoing tally of reps for each round and the box jumps were generally where my brain turned to mush and I started to lose count.

The push presses were my least favorite of the day. I’m just not a fan of any strength training that requires the bar going over my head.

Last up was the rowing machine. One minute wasn’t bad and I averaged 6 or so calories per round.

20130121_074338.jpg

Bam – RX!

20130121_074958.jpg

Yes, every other person will probably have an RX next to their name today, but it still felt good to see that RX next to my name (I think it’s only the second time since I’ve been doing CrossFit!). It’s the small victories that keep you moving, right?

I re-fueled post-CrossFit with a bowl of yogurt.

• Plain Chobani
  • Kashi Go lean Crisp
  • walnuts
  • almond slivers
  • strawberries
  • blueberries

So refreshing, exactly what I was craving.

Time to kick this week off. Have a great Monday everyone!

1 joelle (on a pink typewriter) January 21, 2013 at 10:22 am

I love the names of these WODs! I’m going to re-try CrossFit this spring with a new box, and hoping I get more into it (the price and coach turned me off when I first tried it out back in August).

2 TorontoRunner January 21, 2013 at 10:32 am

Have a great Monday! I was just re-reminded to get back on that rowing machine!
TorontoRunner recently posted..A dream come true!

3 Courtney @ Journey of a Dreamer January 21, 2013 at 10:50 am

I love fight gone bad! We did wallballs this morning, my first time back at the box after a week and a half off (which was spent in Costa Rica) and I’m already feeling it in my legs!! Great job on RX! It feels great doesn’t it?
Courtney @ Journey of a Dreamer recently posted..Costa Rica: Travel Days

4 Nicole@TheKidlessKronicles January 21, 2013 at 10:52 am

Sounds like an awesome WOD. I love box jumps. But always have trouble on the first one. After that, things go smoothly.

The Kidless Kronicles
Nicole@TheKidlessKronicles recently posted..Sloth Sunday

5 Katie @ running4cupcakes January 21, 2013 at 11:00 am

That looks like an awesome one – I also love that you get to write in chalk on the floor . . . it’s the little things, right? ;)
Katie @ running4cupcakes recently posted..Weekend Update: 1/20/13

6 Emily N January 21, 2013 at 11:02 am

Great job on your RX’d workout! Your breakfast looks great as well.
Emily N recently posted..Weekend Food Prep

7 Katie @ A Full Plate January 21, 2013 at 11:14 am

Awesome job! Our box just did Fight Gone Bad on Friday, but I didn’t make it to class that day :( I did it a few months ago though and it’s a doozie, but fun!

8 lisa January 21, 2013 at 11:48 am

Everytime I see crossfit WOD I skip your post.

9 Maggie January 21, 2013 at 1:33 pm

and everytime I see a WOD I read immediately. :)

10 Michele January 22, 2013 at 11:27 am

And I visit the site usually once per week HOPING there’s a post about CrossFit. I love that you’re doing it now too, and I love reading about your experience. It’s nice to see a more mainstream life, food, health, fitness blog talking about CrossFit.

11 Rachel January 21, 2013 at 12:11 pm

Wall ball is tough! We did 50 for time last week and I was exhausted by the end. I’ve been using the #10 ball but I think I am going to try to increase to #14 this week.
Rachel recently posted..Fun weekend

12 Megan January 21, 2013 at 12:23 pm

Love fight gone bad! Next time you have a # to beat and can strategize! Bravo on the Rx!

13 Katie @ Talk Less, Say More January 21, 2013 at 12:30 pm

Did you get a new camera? Your yogurt bowl is looking especially BEAUTIFUL today!
Katie @ Talk Less, Say More recently posted..Marvelous Music

14 Meghann January 21, 2013 at 1:16 pm

Nope. Just got lucky with great lighting outside. :)

15 Annette @FitnessPerks January 21, 2013 at 2:32 pm

Nice job on the RX!! And YES, we totally have it within us to DO more than we think—we are stronger!! ;)
Annette @FitnessPerks recently posted..Simply Weekendesque

16 Sara@RunningInPinkProject January 21, 2013 at 3:57 pm

Would you recommend Crossfit for GETTING in shape or should one ALREADY be in shape before attempting it? It looks so interesting and ever changing (like something that could keep my interest) but Im really afraid I couldnt do it.
Sara@RunningInPinkProject recently posted..Justin Bieber: A Road Trip To Greensboro

17 Meghann January 21, 2013 at 4:33 pm

I think it’s great for both. Just as with any workout, the WODs are all completely customizeable to every person’s fitness level. Most boxes also offer intro class for newbies who want to learn the rope before diving in.