Morning Rider

by Meghann on January 20, 2013

My mom should be proud. I got up this morning, made breakfast (eggs + almond butter toast!), put on the cycling shirt she gave me for Christmas, and got ready to roll.

20130120_075308-1.jpg

Yep. That’s right – I went on a bike ride. My first ride since Miami 70.3 in October (has it really been that long?!) and my first in re-building my base for Ironman Florida. I can lie and say it was THE BEST RIDE ever, but that would be well past stretching the truth. It was tough. Tougher than I expected, but also really awesome at the same time.

First, it was cold and rainy, which wasn’t something I was expecting when I left my house. Thankfully I found a blue jacket in my trunk to semi protect myself from the elements.

20130120_102620.jpg

Second, my cycling endurance has gone to zilch. I set out for 30 miles (ha!), but settled on 20 when I realized that was all I had in me for today. I’m okay with that. We all have to start somewhere, right?

BUT (and this is a big but) even though the ride was tough, it was also fun. It felt good to get on my bike again. It wasn’t something I was dreading, it was something I was looking forward to and couldn’t wait to wake up and ride.

It helped having a good breakfast before my ride. This was something my coach was getting on me about last season. I’m a runner and as a runner I’ve always ate a full meal after my runs on the weekend because eating the big breakfast before simply doesn’t work. I was using the same technique before my rides (eating a snack for fuel before the ride, bits of fuel on the ride, and a full meal after) and was bonking on the bike. I’m working on switching it up – a good breakfast before, fuel on the bike, and a decent snack after). My legs may not have had the endurance to make it through 30 miles on the bike today, but the rest of my energy levels felt great today. I think the swap worked!

After my ride I stopped at Whole Foods on the way home and got a Green Dream smoothie (kale, spinach, apple, pineapple).

20130120_105453.jpg

Delicious. It was a little gritty (and could have used a minute or two longer in the vitamix), but the taste was definitely there. Love drinking my greens!

Now I have a day full of Sunday errands ahead of me. Bring on the laundry, grocery shopping, and everything else a Sunday after should entail.

Enjoy the rest of your weekend!

1 Courtney January 20, 2013 at 1:23 pm

Whoa, hold the phone, did you cut your hair?! It looks adorable (and short!) I’m on the same mission: laundry, house cleaning, grocery list making (I go tomorrow). Have a great Sunday!
Courtney recently posted..Popeye’s Pancakes

2 Carrie @ Fitness and Frozen Grapes January 20, 2013 at 1:48 pm

Figuring out fueling techniques for swimming, biking, and running can be difficult. Like you wrote, Meghann, I have a snack before my swims and runs and wait to eat my true breakfast after. However, I’ve learned this approach doesn’t work for biking, so I eat two waffles with almond butter and banana slices before I set out–perfect fuel for riding. πŸ™‚
Carrie @ Fitness and Frozen Grapes recently posted..Snapshot Saturday – The Best Day Ever

3 Stephanie @ Steph's Miles January 20, 2013 at 1:52 pm

The cycling shirt looks super cute on you! I think I need to replicate the green dream smoothie in my Vita Mix!

4 [email protected] January 20, 2013 at 2:03 pm

Sounds like married life is agreeing with you!!
[email protected] recently posted..Killer HIIT Workout

5 Katie @ Peace Love & Oats January 20, 2013 at 2:32 pm

I wish our Whole Foods had smoothies! I think that’s more common in places with warm weather.

6 Kathy January 20, 2013 at 3:25 pm

Nice cycle shirt…yum to the smoothie!

7 Sara @ fitcupcaker January 20, 2013 at 4:32 pm

Ive never put apple in my green smoothie, Ill have to try that!
Sara @ fitcupcaker recently posted..β€œThe Big Green”

8 Mrs. Swan January 20, 2013 at 4:54 pm

The short hair looks soooo different!! It will take me a while to get used to it. πŸ™‚
Mrs. Swan recently posted..I played with myself today

9 Meghan January 20, 2013 at 5:24 pm

I always want a smoothie from WF but can’t fathom spending $10! I need a coupon lol.
Meghan recently posted..La-Z Girl

10 TorontoRunner January 20, 2013 at 5:47 pm

I’m sooo jealous of bikers!! I don’t know how to bike(quite sad, actually lol) and would love-loove to roam around my city on a bike some days – especially during the summer!
TorontoRunner recently posted..Allergic to cross-training / Phone??

11 Victoria (District Chocoholic) January 20, 2013 at 6:13 pm

Woo-hoo bike! IMFL, here you come.
Victoria (District Chocoholic) recently posted..A Boston Visit: The Changing Chocolate Scene

12 Michelle January 20, 2013 at 6:23 pm

Loving your short hair! Your cute headband possibilities are endless. πŸ™‚

13 Elizabeth- My Neon Running Shoes January 20, 2013 at 6:45 pm

Girl you are awesome getting your workout in when it’s cold and rainy! Very motivational πŸ˜‰
Elizabeth- My Neon Running Shoes recently posted..My new dance partner (lookout Joe πŸ˜‰

14 kalli January 20, 2013 at 6:52 pm

i went on my first ride yeterday too! i did 20 miles as well. and i agree you must eat before you ride. it is NOT like running πŸ™‚
kalli recently posted..How I Fuel

15 Katie @ Talk Less, Say More January 20, 2013 at 6:56 pm

That smoothie looks awesome! I find fueling for workouts (whether it be running or strength training) to be one of the hardest things for me and I’m NOT training for an IronMan..ha!
Katie @ Talk Less, Say More recently posted..Good Energy

16 [email protected] January 20, 2013 at 7:31 pm

So neat that you’re doing an ironman!

I do a lot of spin, but I am nervous to try outdoor cycling. I’m convinced I’m too clumsy and I would crash into a car…or a pedestrian…or a tree. haha My best friend does a lot of tri’s though and she’s trying to convince me to sign up for one…we’ll see. πŸ™‚
[email protected] recently posted..ZOOMA Florida Half Marathon

17 [email protected] is Sweet January 20, 2013 at 8:07 pm

I’ve only really biked for transportation, but I’ve been thinking I need to incorporate biking into my workouts, because I love spin classes!

18 broccolihut January 20, 2013 at 8:43 pm

I would have had a tough time adjusting to a full breakfast before exercise too–i kind of like having a big meal to look forward to!
broccolihut recently posted..Savory Jalapeno Pancakes

19 Becky @ runfundone January 20, 2013 at 10:36 pm

I love that cycling shirt! So cute!
Becky @ runfundone recently posted..Happy.