more ยป" />

Deli Love

by Meghann on January 19, 2013

Sometimes the best places to eat, are the ones you would typically miss if you weren’t looking for them. I’ve driven past this one shopping center hundreds of time, but it wasn’t until Yelp told me to try a deli located inside that I even noticed it existed. Semi-hidden from the road, Carrollwood Deli blends in with the rest of the nondescript shopping center, but don’t let that facade full you, the deli had a full 5 star rating and I discovered today why it earned it.

20130119_131958.jpg

Derek and I decided to drop in for lunch at Carrollwood Deli when I did a nearby search of restaurants in the area and the deli was highly recommended. It’s not much from the outside, but inside it’s clean and has that welcoming mom and pop shop appeal to it.

20130119_132629.jpg

The menu was full of traditional deli sandwiches, salads, and soups. All the bread is baked fresh daily on premise and the meat is sliced fresh for every sandwich ordered. They pride themselves on the freshest possible ingredients.

20130119_132622.jpg

The restaurant was small with sit-down service. We chose our own table and were quickly taken care of by our server who wasted no time getting our drinks and taking our orders. The food was served almost as quickly as we ordered it, that definitely impressed me.

I ordered a 1/2 sandwich and 1/2 salad combo with the “beef and bird” 1/2 sandwich (roast beef and turkey breast) and 1/2 a garden salad.

20130119_133104.jpg

I loved everything about this simple meal. The kaiser roll was so fluffy and fresh, the meat was cut thick and piled high, and the salad veggies were crisp and flavorful. The key to a simple meal is real, fresh ingredients. If you have a good slice of turkey breast, then chances are you don’t need all the extra trimmings, it’s probably good on its own. Also, really happy I ordered the 1/2 sandwich – the full would have been way too much. The 1/2 was just enough to fill my stomach without overstuffing it.

Derek and I loved the Carrollwood Deli and we can’t wait to return. ๐Ÿ™‚

We spent the rest of the afternoon running errands and buying cupcakes.

20130119_160124.jpg

I <3 cupcakes from Sweet Tweets!

Derek’s dad turned the big 6-0 while we were on our honeymoon and we spent the evening with Derek’s parents celebrating!

20130119_191851.jpg

First we had some burgers

20130119_192415.jpg

Which were really just a warm-up for the cupcakes staring us down from the counter.

20130119_193826.jpg

From left to right: red velvet, butter cake with chocolate, raspberry swirl, and brownie rose

20130119_194010.jpg

Variety is the spice of life. Why choose one cupcake when you could divide and conquer all four flavors?

20130119_194723.jpg

I tried a piece from all of them and my favorite was the butter cake with chocolate icing.

20130119_195008.jpg

The cupcakes were a hit. Not a single crumb was left when we were done. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Derek’s dad tried to talk us into a late movie, but we both knew we wouldn’t make it to the closing credits. We’ve gotten to the point where the latest we’ll go with a movie theater is 8:30, any later than that and we’re guaranteed to be snoozing before the movie has ended. His dad may be the one that just turned 60, but I think we’re the ones that are 28 going on 65.

What’s the latest movie you’ll see in the theater? Do you have a cut off?

1 TorontoRunner January 19, 2013 at 11:01 pm

I don’t mind seeing late movies..so I’ll see them up until 10pm actually!

THOSE CUPCAKES!! they’re everything I need in my life right now! I have a huge obsession with the designs of cupcakes(i’m also obsessed with any and every bakery type show on food network!)
TorontoRunner recently posted..Allergic to cross-training / Phone??

2 Mrs. Swan January 19, 2013 at 11:05 pm

My first job was at a movie theater so I am used to the late, late showings. I don’t really seem them around here in my town now though. Of course I grew up in Miami and this is about 5 hours north. LOL

The red velvet looks the prettiest. I would not eat any of them right now but that is my choice since I am trying to avoid sugar.
Mrs. Swan recently posted..I played with myself today

3 Mrs. Swan January 19, 2013 at 11:07 pm

ugh SEE LOL
Mrs. Swan recently posted..I played with myself today

4 Kristen @ notsodomesticated January 20, 2013 at 7:01 am

At this point in my pregnancy, I think 6pm would be the latest movie I could safely go to haha! ๐Ÿ˜‰ But even when I wasn’t pregnant, I’d say an 8:00 movie would have been the latest. I’m definitely an early-to-bed kind of girl!!

And those cupcakes look insanely good. Not going to lie, I’m pretty jealous! ๐Ÿ˜‰
Kristen @ notsodomesticated recently posted..Bourbon Street Chicken

5 Katie @ Talk Less, Say More January 20, 2013 at 7:16 am

haha! I totally understand the 28 going on 65…I feel that way everyday! The only thing that gives me some hope is that I hear my dad snoozing at 5:30 (he’ll wake up again for several hours) but I do hold off until 9…most days. ๐Ÿ˜‰
Katie @ Talk Less, Say More recently posted..Good Energy

6 Sam @ Better With Sprinkles January 20, 2013 at 8:24 am

I probably wouldn’t do anything later than 9:00…and even then I’d go straight home after the movie and crawl into bed!
Sam @ Better With Sprinkles recently posted..Grocery Strategizing.

7 Madison January 20, 2013 at 8:59 am

I cannot even remember the last movie I saw in theaters–I need to fix that and go see one soon! ๐Ÿ™‚ Also, those cupcakes look absolutely marvelous.
Madison recently posted..Survey on a Saturday

8 Karen @ Runner Girl Eats January 20, 2013 at 9:44 am

I think hole in the wall places are often the best little gems. We always split cupcakes too. I’m to indesicisive for just one flavor!
Karen @ Runner Girl Eats recently posted..Working at the Carwash

9 broccolihut January 20, 2013 at 9:58 am

Those cupcakes look heavenly! Seth and I are the same way with movies–we really have to be in bed by 11 or 11:30!

10 Katie @ running4cupcakes January 20, 2013 at 10:11 am

Yelp is the best! And I totally need to get myself a cupcake, asap! We are the same way – no movies after 9pm. . . just can’t stay awake that long! Sleep is too important with a 9 month old. ๐Ÿ™‚
Katie @ running4cupcakes recently posted..Body Pump Instructor Training

11 Amber @ Busy, Bold, Blessed January 20, 2013 at 10:14 am

Those cupcakes look amazing! My favorite deli is definitely like that, in a strip mall and you’d never suspect it.

I don’t go to the movies very often, I have to REALLY want to see something to want to spend the money on it and risk people annoying me in the movie theater lol. I’d rather sit on my couch, in my PJs, with my own refreshments!
Amber @ Busy, Bold, Blessed recently posted..My Whole21โ€“Days 7 through 13

12 [email protected] January 20, 2013 at 10:38 am

It depends on the movie and the day, if I will go to a late show. Definitely not on a school night. I prefer a matinee just because they are cheaper.

The Kidless Kronicles
[email protected] recently posted..Coldwater Rumble

13 Gianna January 20, 2013 at 4:39 pm

When I was visiting my parents over Christmas they laughed at me every night heading to bed 9:30/10ish. I turn in to a pumpkin shortly after!

I haven’t been to the actual movies in so so long. I don’t have the attention span to just sit there. I am a multitasker to the max. Which is also why I spend about twice as long trying to get through a movie/show needing to constantly rewind!
Gianna recently posted..Letting Loose

14 Hannah January 20, 2013 at 5:22 pm

You would love Keystone Corner! It might be a little further from you, I grew up in Odessa, but its on Tarpon Springs Rd. They have great sandwiches and fantastic deserts!

15 Molly January 20, 2013 at 10:36 pm

I think we’ve seen maybe 5 movies in the theater since our daughter was born 18 months ago but we saw one this weekend AND last weekend! Zero Dark Thirty and Silver Linings Playbook. Both were great. ๐Ÿ™‚
Molly recently posted..Creamy Green Chile Chicken Burritos

16 Angela January 21, 2013 at 7:17 pm

I’m so bad at watching movies. It doesn’t matter what time I go, there’s always a 60% chance I’ll fall asleep at some point.
Angela recently posted..Merci Chocolates