A $5 Run

by Meghann on January 19, 2013

Apparently running does pay. Check out the purty $5 bill I found on my run this morning.

5dollarsonarun.jpg

I found it on mile two of a six mile run and it definitely put a little perk in my step for the remaining miles. Nothing makes your day a little better than finding random money on the ground. I took it as a sign that this was going to be a good run (and it was).

There’s still a slight chill in the air so I was able to sleep in a bit before getting my run in (I love not having to worry about beating the heat!). I took my time checking email, drinking a cup of water, and just waking up before taking off.

The other week I was checking my calendar and noticed I have a half marathon scheduled for the weekend of February 2nd. Crap – that’s only a couple of weeks away! I completely forgot about that race. I registered for it months ago because it was ridiculously cheap and I figured I could get myself in half marathon shape before February. hmmm… lots of wishful thinking there.

The 6 miles I ran this morning were the longest I’ve run in a month. They were slow, but they weren’t bad. I felt great at the end, as if I could have kept running. I’ll take that as a good sign that my natural running base is still there.

My plan for the half is to run it easy. I have a lot of friends doing the race and wouldn’t mind pairing up with one and treating it like a fun long run. I ran 6 miles this morning, I’ll run 8-10 next Saturday, and then 13.1 the week after that. It’s not a training plan I would recommend to anyone (don’t try this at home, kids!), but I’m a crazy runner and this is what crazy runners – we don’t listen and like to make up our own rules. Sigh.

I’ll take the $5 as a good sign that maybe I won’t hurt myself in the process (as long as I take it easy I think I’ll be okay – I’m a crazy runner, not a stupid one). If I feel like something’s wrong I can always pull out of the race and cheer on my friends, it’s simple as that. πŸ™‚

Alright. Enough run chat. Time to talk about pancakes!

Kodiak Cakes sent me a box of their flapjack and waffle mix and a bottle of the marion berry syrup to sample for the blog. I’ve seen the mix on a few blogs before, but had never tried it myself so I was interested to see how it was.

LOVE that I only needed to add water to the mix. So easy!

We ended up doubling the recipe and the double batter made just enough pancakes for two adults and one dog (Maddie got a mini pancake with her kibble).

The pancakes fluffed up on the griddle and the mix was a dream to work with. No odd lumps or off consistency.

I had two of the fluffy pancakes with cinnamon apples and marionberry syrup.

For some reason I thought the pancakes would have more of a heartier, nuttier texture as other whole wheat or oat based pancakes have, but that was not the case here. The pancakes reminded me more of regular ole buttermilk pancakes than anything else. They were fluffy and light, yet still very filling. Derek (who usually only tolerates whole wheat pancakes instead of actually enjoying them) loved them. He didn’t realize they were whole wheat until I told him after he cleaned his plate.

The marionberry syrup was pretty good, too. I’m not a maple fan and tend to prefer the fruitier based syrups anyway. This one was light and not overly sweet, it was the perfect complement to the pancakes.

Run + pancakes = the perfect Saturday morning!

Have you ever found money on a run?

1 kalli January 19, 2013 at 11:33 am

true about runnings making up there own rules! for some reason i feel it necessary and fun to join a friend of mine for a 16 mile run on monday-she is training for a marathon and me well i just want to go. but i have never ran more than a half πŸ™‚ also finally a mix you only have to add water to? I WANT!
kalli recently posted..Happy

2 Jamie January 19, 2013 at 11:39 am

When training for a half last year in the rain, my friend and I found $20. It was floating in the ditch near a Starbucks. We split it and treated ourselves to Starbucks later. Any money I have found in a store, I have given to employee. But in a ditch in the pouring rain? I guess its finders keepers.

3 Sara @ fitcupcaker January 19, 2013 at 11:52 am

Ive been wanting to try Kodiak cakes! They look great, and your nails still look pretty πŸ™‚
Sara @ fitcupcaker recently posted..Better Than Store Bought Humus

4 Katie @ Peace Love and Oats January 19, 2013 at 11:55 am

I haven’t ever found money on a run! And I’m sure the half will be fine as long as you don’t push too hard, don’t want to get injured now!
Katie @ Peace Love and Oats recently posted..Friday Facts + Giveaway Winner!

5 Tempie @ The Texas Peach January 19, 2013 at 12:03 pm

I actually found a $5 bill one time when I was out running, and all total I’ve found about $8. Found money is the best!
Tempie @ The Texas Peach recently posted..Going Against The Grain

6 Carrie @ Fitness and Frozen Grapes January 19, 2013 at 12:03 pm

Kodiak Cakes are the best–so delicious! I’ve never found money on a run, but my dad always picks up recyclable cans he finds during his outings, which technically equates to a little money. πŸ˜‰
Carrie @ Fitness and Frozen Grapes recently posted..Pleasant Surprises

7 Maria January 19, 2013 at 12:03 pm

That’s funny, I have found 5€ bill during a race, in the middle of the course, I checked if someone else was looking for it, but nobody paid attention, so i just put them in my pocket and continue racing.
another time I found a 20€ bill after the finish line, and i invited my friends to a post-race breakfast!
I guess I am lucky!

8 Katie @ Talk Less, Say More January 19, 2013 at 12:07 pm

I wish I found some money on my run, I could have used the motivation. Instead it was kind of a struggle and I made it worse for myself by ending my run by going AGAINST the wind. It was hard but I was able to keep a good pace throughout so I guess it wasn’t all bad. πŸ˜‰
Katie @ Talk Less, Say More recently posted..Productive Days Off

9 Angie January 19, 2013 at 12:31 pm

One time, on a hot and humid run where I foolishly didn’t bring water, I found $1. I took it as a sign that I was meant to stop at the gas station to buy water. I walked in and the lady said “HOW FAST ARE YOU RUNNING?” which obviously indicated how awesome I looked. I wandered over to the cooler only to realize you can’t actually buy a water for $1. Luckily she took pity on me and gave me a cup to go get ice and water out of the fountain machine. My hero.

10 Nicole January 19, 2013 at 12:40 pm

I’ve never heard of marion berries before, but I’d love to try that syrup! I usually go for fruity syrups too. Boysenberry is my favorite.

I found myself in a similar situation this month–I forgot that I had registered for TWO half marathons, two weeks apart. The first was last weekend, and my previous long run was 6 miles also. I ended up running with my future brother-in-law, who was running his first half, and it went really well! Definitely not a PR, but I had fun and chatted the whole way. The second half is next weekend, and I’m feeling better about it, but still relatively unprepared.

11 Christine @ BookishlyB January 19, 2013 at 12:45 pm

I have this weird thing about taking money if I find it- what if some poor kid dropped their lunch money? What is some single-mom was going to use it to buy diapers? Or what if I’m the victim of some college student psychological experiment to see if people take money that don’t belong to them? I know, I know, so little chance of any of those being even REMOTELY true! And if I don’t take it someone else will! I know. I do get really excited about finding only cash in jacket pockets, though!
Christine @ BookishlyB recently posted..Why I Don’t Read YA

12 Miranda January 19, 2013 at 12:49 pm

I found something like $60 on a run once. There was absolutely no one around so I couldn’t return it. Since it was a significant amount we decided to only spend it at the farmer’s market as a sort of community reinvestment.

13 Kathy January 19, 2013 at 1:04 pm

I found $5 on a walk years ago…now, I am still on the look out for cash every time I walk that same route….I don’t think luck strikes twice. At least it hasn’t for me.

πŸ˜‰

14 Karen January 19, 2013 at 1:52 pm

This post looks exactly like my day. I found 40$ in my jeans pocket and had mint chocolate chip pancakes for breakfast.
Karen recently posted..Working at the Carwash

15 Angela January 19, 2013 at 1:56 pm

Those pancakes look SO good. I need to go make some now. πŸ™‚
Angela recently posted..Throwback Thursday {take two}

16 Hayley @ Running on Pumpkin January 19, 2013 at 2:23 pm

I have never found money on a run but I could see how that would put an extra pep in your step!! Pancakes after a run are the best.

17 Cait @ Beyond Bananas January 19, 2013 at 2:35 pm

I don’t think I’ve ever found anything more than dirty change on the side of the road. It is… however.. always nice when I find some old cash in a jacket pocket when I haven’t worn it since last season!
Cait @ Beyond Bananas recently posted..iPhone Photo Dump

18 Stephanie @ My Freckled Life January 19, 2013 at 2:40 pm

Finding $5 would definitely put a big smile on your face. There is nothing better than finding random money! Also, I’m a HUGE Kodiak cake fan. Even my picky husband loves them, which is definitely saying something since he grew up on the super buttermilky southern pancakes.
Stephanie @ My Freckled Life recently posted..Five Favorites Friday #6

19 Mary January 19, 2013 at 3:17 pm

One Sunday morning I had to force myself to get going on my run. But at about 1 mile I found a $50 bill literally lying in the middle of the road. No cars were parked anywhere close and it was early on a Sunday so no one else was even out so I felt OK picking it up. It sure helped perk me up for the rest of the run!

20 Lauren January 19, 2013 at 4:12 pm

I adore the Kodiak Cakes and the guys behind them. My husband is the same way with whole wheat grains but loves this mix. Try adding pumpkin next time…it will blow you away!
Lauren recently posted..Cooking For One: Sun Dried Tomato Goat Cheese Ravioli with Chicken Sausage

21 [email protected] January 19, 2013 at 4:27 pm

Love Kodiak cakes….never had the syrup, though! Try mixing in some pumpkin with your Kodiak cakes….very good.
[email protected] recently posted..decisions, decisions

22 Kath January 19, 2013 at 4:56 pm

This post should have been titled “and then I found five dollars.” remember when that was the phrase to end every conversation in college!?

23 Sam @ Better With Sprinkles January 19, 2013 at 5:39 pm

I’ve never found money on a run, but I did find a $50 bill in a movie theatre once. I didn’t even care how good the movie was after that, at that point it was already as awesome night!
Sam @ Better With Sprinkles recently posted..Saturday Cravings.

24 TorontoRunner January 19, 2013 at 6:09 pm

I don’t think I’ve ever found anything useful running. ha!

oooh, all you racers, I really need to find/sign up for races soon!
TorontoRunner recently posted..Allergic to cross-training / Phone??

25 Ali January 19, 2013 at 6:23 pm

Yummmm to those pancakes! They look wonderful. I have found a $20 on my run… that was exciting haha
Ali recently posted..Friday Favorites

26 Katie @ A Full Plate January 19, 2013 at 7:23 pm

Love Kodiak pancakes! Pancakes are so perfect on the weekend. My fav is when my bf makes his wheat germ walnut pancakes with fried apples…soooo good!
Katie @ A Full Plate recently posted..Foodie Friday: Eating Vegetarian

27 Alissa January 19, 2013 at 7:33 pm

I’ve only found some spare change, but my sister once found $100 bill. Needless to say that turned out to be her favorite run to date. haha
Alissa recently posted..Friday Fitness

28 catie January 20, 2013 at 12:55 am

those are my favorite pancakes! the apples look delicious, i might have to make some tomorrow morning now. yummmm.

29 Melissa January 20, 2013 at 1:08 am

I fund a $5 bill floating in the water at the beach when I was a kid. My dad told me I had to ask everyone at the beach that day if it was theirs. I thought he was serious! Needless to say, as a little kid I was very excited about $5. πŸ™‚

30 Allie January 20, 2013 at 1:28 am

I’ve never found money on a run, but once, when walking to dinner at a restaurant near my house I found a $100 bill! I felt guilty taking it but it was in the middle of the sidewalk, not near anyone’s home or car, and no one was around who might have lost it. I treated everyone to dinner that night!

31 Nicole January 20, 2013 at 9:07 am

I found $20 on my run yesterday! It was a nice treat since we were just getting a blizzard and snow was up to my mid shin in some spots!

32 broccolihut January 20, 2013 at 10:01 am

Kodiak cakes are awesome, aren’t they? I recommend using the mix in savory ways too. I just published my recipe for a cheddar-jalapeno version on the blog πŸ™‚
broccolihut recently posted..Savory Jalapeno Pancakes

33 Rebekah January 23, 2013 at 3:21 pm

I just started reading your blog (which I love BTW). I am a new runner and healthy person (sounds silly but it is true) and I found your blog somehow when looking for “RUNNING” and “HEALTHY” blog. πŸ˜€
I have found money while walking to lunch just a few weeks ago! I thought it was $1 but it was $10! I felt so happy and felt like that walk was totally worth it just for THAT. HA!