On a Kick

by Meghann on January 17, 2013

I’ve been on a snack plate kick lately. Ever since I returned from the DR it’s really all I want for lunch. Fresh crisp veggies, dips, and cheese please!

Yesterday’s plate:

Edamame, apple slices, almond butter, carrot sticks, cucumber, and hummus.

Today’s:

bacon, green beans, carrot sticks, olives, cheese, crackers, and hummus.

I tried cooking bacon in the microwave for the first time today. Growing up we always cooked bacon in a pan, so I assumed that was the only way to do it. The first time I saw someone cook bacon in the microwave was in college and it took ten years to have the thought to try it myself.

Yeah… there was definitely a reason I was avoiding bacon in a microwave. It sucks that way. The bacon was tough and missing that yummy greasy/ crispy combo that makes it good. I think I’ll be sticking to the pan from now on, totally worth dirtying an extra dish. 😉

I’ve also been on a yogurt kick.

I had a bowl of plain yogurt for a mid-afternoon snack with berries, walnuts, and a chocolate BelVita bar.

No kick for dinner, but the meal was definitely something I’d been meaning to try.

Crock pot salsa chicken.

Basically I coated two pounds of chicken breast with a jar of salsa and let it cook on low for 8 hours. When it was done, I shredded the chicken and served it in a tortilla with spinach, onion, mushrooms, plain yogurt, and cheese.

The salsa chicken was super easy to do and super tasty to eat, very moist and delicious.

Roasted broccoli to round out the meal.

We have Delphine and family to think for dessert. Swiss chocolate straight from Switzerland!

Derek had toured the chocolate factory when he visited Switzerland as a teenager. You know it’s good, authentic stuff when nothing on the packaging is in english.

Just enough to calm the sweet tooth.

Alright, who’s watching the Lance Armstrong interview on Oprah? I can’t turn away from it. I’m not sure I’ll watch a cycling race the same ever again. :/

1 [email protected] January 17, 2013 at 10:16 pm

LOVE a good snack plate lunch. I actually just got a cool new Bento style lunch box to make those snacky lunches easier to carry to the office. 🙂
[email protected] recently posted..My Secret Plan

2 TorontoRunner January 17, 2013 at 10:21 pm

Yep..been watching the Lance Armstrong interview..pretty crazy how it’s all coming out and all the lies! yikes!
TorontoRunner recently posted..13.1 = For Fun.

3 Deb January 17, 2013 at 10:59 pm

where’s that blue and white little dish from? it’s so cute!

4 Meghann January 18, 2013 at 8:53 am

Ikea I think? I’m honestly not sure 🙂

5 Angela January 18, 2013 at 2:35 am

Ever cooked bacon in the oven? Same great taste as pan frying but without the hassle. It’s probably my favorite method, if you have the time to do it that way.
Angela recently posted..Throwback Thursday {take two}

6 Meghann January 18, 2013 at 8:53 am

I have not. I’ll have to try that next time. 🙂

7 Megan January 18, 2013 at 9:14 am

I 2nd the oven method! Delicious!

8 Katie January 18, 2013 at 9:28 am

I third the bacon in the oven! I love that it doesn’t splatter from the pan, but still gets good and crispy!
Katie recently posted..Anticipating…the best part?

9 Hope January 18, 2013 at 2:51 am

I know I’m harping on as I commented the same thing at your breakfast post but seriously how can you function on so few calories a day? I get you’re on a vege kick, but I would be wanting to chew my own arm off if I’d had that lunch plate following that breakfast – no offense 🙂

10 Meghann January 18, 2013 at 8:54 am

Pictures can be deceiving because I promise it’s a good amount of food. You also don’t see the carrot sticks or extra cheese and crackers I was munching on while prepping my meals.

11 Madison January 18, 2013 at 7:48 am

Delicious looking chocolate! 🙂 I didn’t watch the Lance Armstrong interview because it makes me sad/mad/frustrated all at the same time.
Madison recently posted..Pam’s Oatmeal Cookies

12 Meghann January 18, 2013 at 8:55 am

I agree with you there. I’m almost sad I watched it because of the way it made me feel. Ignorance is bliss, right?

13 Sara @ fitcupcaker January 18, 2013 at 9:21 am

I cant believe he HAD NO SHAME in answering yes to all those questions… What a d! anyways, I love snack plates like that too 🙂
Sara @ fitcupcaker recently posted..Oatmeal Breakfast Parfait + Burpee Pull Ups

14 Katie @ Peace Love & Oats January 18, 2013 at 9:41 am

I’m the same way when I get back from vacation: all I want are veggies and things that I couldn’t eat when I was away! I’m heading home tomorrow after 4 weeks away!
Katie @ Peace Love & Oats recently posted..Friday Facts + Giveaway Winner!

15 Natalie @ Free Range Human January 18, 2013 at 9:42 am

I couldn’t bring myself to watch the interview. I believed him for so long.
Natalie @ Free Range Human recently posted..Puppy Love

16 Whitney January 18, 2013 at 9:54 am

I cook center cut bacon (less fat and calories) in the oven on foil…on about 400 for maybe 15-17 minutes…so crisp, still a little greasy and yummmmy for sure!!

17 Katie @ Talk Less, Say More January 19, 2013 at 12:29 pm

I haven’t been able to tear myself away from the interview. So much so that I’ve watched Part 1 all the way through once, and parts of it multiple times if I see it’s on again. I’ve found it to be really intriguing.
Katie @ Talk Less, Say More recently posted..Productive Days Off