Extra Credit

by Meghann on January 17, 2013

I learned a big lesson at CrossFit this morning: when your coach offers “extra credit” after a workout – Just Say No. Otherwise you’ll be cursing him under your breath and wondering why the heck you said yes.

Our WOD was short today, so the extra credit was offered to fill the last 15 minutes of class. The WOD focused on strength, while the “extra credit” was all cardio.

20130117_080116.jpg

Warm-up: 400 m run + 2 rounds of 15 air squats, 10 pushups, and 5 pull ups + 1 minute squat hold + 20 pass throughs.

Man my hips are tight, holding the squat position for a minute was tough.

Skill focus: working up to WOD weight for power clean, hang power clean, and push jerk.

WOD: Every 30 seconds for 10 minutes:

• 1 power clean
  • 1 hang power clean
  • 1 push jerk

It’s been a while since we’ve had a WOD that was dedicated to strength. The power clean, hang power clean, and push jerk were all combined to be one fluid set – bring the bar up with the power clean, bring down to waist and back up with the hang power clean, and finally over the head with the push jerk before dropping it to the ground. The single set took about 15 seconds to complete, leaving 15 seconds of rest before starting the next set. I’m always amazed how long 15 seconds can feel between sets. It sounds short, but was really the perfect amount of recovery time.

I did struggle with the hang power cleans. I probably could have gone heavier for the power clean and push jerk if it wasn’t for the pesky hang power cleans getting in my way. The move requires a power push that uses the strength of your entire body to get up, but I couldn’t get the power movement down. I was relying too much on my arms/shoulders, which was hurting my ability to do the move. I practiced with a lighter bar, which helped, but I still need to work on it more. Baby steps.

Then it was time for the “extra credit.” Ha! We asked what it was before hand, but he wouldn’t tell us until we agreed. So two CrossFit friends and I did the whole “If you do it, I’ll do it” and talked ourselves into saying yes.

Extra Credit: 3 x 500m on the rower at 90% of 1RM speed. Rest as long as it took you to do each 500 in between sets. Every second over set time = 3 burpees.

Ugh. I HATE the rower! Unfortunately I had missed their 1RM challenge the week before (woo hoo for honeymoon excuses!) so we had to make up a time for me to get the 90%. I was pretty generous with my guesstimating and came in 15 seconds faster than the set time on the first 500 (whoops). We lowered it for my next two sets, and I discovered 2:25 was my sweet spot for 500m (I mentioned I’m terrible on the rower, right?).

1500m total of the rower was tough! Burn baby, burn! I was cursing our coach as the workout went on, but once it was over I’m glad I did it. The coach was awesome and encouraged us the entire time. He wouldn’t let us give up or not row to our full potential, I thanked him for that.

Oh! And how did the new short hair stand up to the WOD? Man, it was awesome.

20130117_064837.jpg

It’s way too short for a ponytail, but I really didn’t need one. I was able to clip the front back with some bobby pins and that worked just fine. It actually felt a lot cooler to have my hair down and off my neck rather than in a thick and heavy ponytail that sticks to my neck. I loooooved it!

Post-CrossFit Breakfast:

Apple w/ almond butter

Two eggs w/ dried basil

Yum. Yum. Yum.

Now I’m ready to start another day! Have a great Thursday!

1 Katie @ running4cupcakes January 17, 2013 at 10:21 am

That’s really the mark of a good workout. .. it totally sucks while you are doing it, but afterward you are so happy you did it and you feel ah-mazing! That apple with almond butter looks delicious. Already excited for my banana and maple almond butter that is in my lunch today.
Katie @ running4cupcakes recently posted..Crock pot challenge

2 wymberley January 17, 2013 at 10:35 am

150 was the RX?!!!! Holy cow. What a workout let alone extra credit! We did hang cleans yesterday in our WOD and after 95lbs x60 reps I was dead. BUT No way could I do any of those lifts at 150 right now! Your coach must hold very high expectations.
wymberley recently posted..Three Things Thursday

3 Meghann January 17, 2013 at 10:40 am

haha – I know, right? He basically admitted that no one would be RX-ing today.

4 Lindsay January 17, 2013 at 10:45 am

By “rower” you mean “erg,” right? Or even rowing machine?

5 Meghann January 17, 2013 at 11:43 am

At my box we refer to it as the “rower” so that’s what I call it. I’m sure it’s not the technical term, but that’s what I’ve heard it referred to as and that’s what’s stuck in my head. I’ll try to refer it properly as “erg” or “rowing machine” in the future.

6 Coco January 17, 2013 at 10:47 am

Hurray extra credit! I think I would have opted to go for it to, good for you! I’m sure your going to be feeling that tomorrow. For some reason it seems easier to have long hair when your working out since you can just toss it in a ponytail- but its still on your neck making you sweat more and sticking to you, bleh! (my hair is very long- just 3 inches above my bum)

7 Stephanie @ My Freckled Life January 17, 2013 at 10:54 am

I love the hair pinned back like that! I have been trying to figure out new ways to wear my short hair to the gym since I also can’t really make a full poneytail. I definitely might have to try this look out!
Stephanie @ My Freckled Life recently posted..So, What’s Next?

8 TorontoRunner January 17, 2013 at 10:58 am

Your hair pinned back like that is really nice.. I’d do that for more than just workout purposes! 🙂
TorontoRunner recently posted..Moody Mandy

9 Ashley @ Eat Run Live Happy January 17, 2013 at 11:04 am

Cross fit seems to be getting super popular. I haven’t tried it yet but I have started the Paleo diet with my boyfriend. We agreed to do it for two months and see how we feel. Cross fit and paleo seem to go hand and hand. Maybe I’ll look into it!
Ashley @ Eat Run Live Happy recently posted..Pa Pa Pa Pa Paleo, Paleo

10 Hayley @ Running on Pumpkin January 17, 2013 at 11:39 am

I love your haircut!! Must be so much nicer working out without a heavy ponytail.

11 Dori January 17, 2013 at 12:23 pm

I once had a WOD where all I had to do was row 2,000 meters. It was a 4,000 meter partner row so every 500 meters one of us rested. It was BRUTAL. And doing what you did after a tough strength workout sounds really tough. Your short hair looks cute pinned back like that.
Dori recently posted..pvBody Changes and Concerns

12 Annette @FitnessPerks January 17, 2013 at 12:27 pm

I think your new do is super cute! Nice job on the workout 🙂
Annette @FitnessPerks recently posted..BodyPUMP Release 84 Review

13 [email protected] January 17, 2013 at 12:32 pm

Just say NO! Anything extra at CrossFit is probably offered with a sadists grin.

The Kidless Kronicles
[email protected] recently posted..Tunnels

14 Jean January 17, 2013 at 1:07 pm

Good job for figuring out a way to keep short hair out of your face! I’ve always thought my hair looked way better short and every once in a while I get an intense desire to chop it all off, telling myself I’ll figure out how to get it out of my face while running “later” (despite the fact that I’ve been through this process a number of times now-you’d think I would learn!). What always ends up happening is, I get it chopped off, love how it looks, but then curse it every day for not staying up and out of my face when I’m working out!
Jean recently posted.."Just One More Mile"

15 Megan January 17, 2013 at 2:13 pm

nice job! Rowing is tough~ You should look into lululemon’s bang buster headband.. it’s the only thing that pulls my hair back and out of my face – and never moves! Highly recomend for CF!

16 Clare @ Fitting It All In January 17, 2013 at 2:13 pm

it looks so cute pinned back!!
Clare @ Fitting It All In recently posted..Te’o Scandal & Blog Updates

17 Karen @ Runner Girl Eats January 17, 2013 at 2:15 pm

I just discovered the rowing machine and love it! I think it has become my cross training of choice 🙂
Karen @ Runner Girl Eats recently posted..Comment on Row, row, row your boat by Korlynne

18 Nanci January 17, 2013 at 2:28 pm

Your eggs always look so good! How do you cook them? I love basil and have never thought to put it on eggs. Make sense, must try.
Nanci recently posted..Happy Birthday, my sweet baby Blue!

19 Simone January 17, 2013 at 2:54 pm

that sounds like a painful good time! i’m pretty excited, I saw a groupon for a crossfit gym near my house and have decided to try the 1 month trial in February, I am a very competitive person and have a feeling I will be hooked right away
Simone recently posted..It’s the little things

20 Mrs W. January 17, 2013 at 3:00 pm

Love the new hair cut. I once chopped it all off to donate as well and loved the instant change/fresh look. I miss how easy short hair is to style. I may be going in for a chop now 😉

Have fun with new styles and (please please please, ha) share the results. I always found styling short hair to be hit or miss but would enjoy hearing what worked and what was more interesting.
Mrs W. recently posted..Feel better box

21 Hope January 17, 2013 at 3:07 pm

Your hair looks nice pinned like that. I have to be honest, that breakfast is tiny. I could not function during the day on a breakfast that small, especially after an intense workout. I don’t know how you do it!

22 erin January 17, 2013 at 5:33 pm

I was a lightweight rower all through high school and most of college–my 2,000 m split was a 1:50 –i TOTALLY understand why you hate the erg machine, but it really is the best workout i can think of to this day (haven’t touched an oar in almost 5 years). i know you have sub 2:25 in you! now i really want to try crossfit