The Big Cut for Pantene’s Beautiful Lengths

by Meghann on January 16, 2013

Two years ago I was inspired.

A new friend of mine had recently chopped all of her hair off to donate it and her enthusiasm regarding the experience was contagious. Thanks to Pantene Pro-V’s Beautiful Lengths program (which partners with the American Cancer Society) her donated hair contributed to a free, real-hair wig for a woman with cancer. Growing my hair out and donating it was something I’d always wanted to do and hearing her tale inspired me to make the commitment to finally do it.

So I started growing my hair out with a goal of eventually donating 8+ inches to the program. Right when I was on the verge of donating a year later, Derek proposed. Plans to donate were temporarily put on hold until after the wedding. I maintained my long locks with regular hair cuts and developed a new goal of donating as much hair as I could after the wedding.

The long hair got old fast and I got super lazy with it in the progress. I basically gave up blow-drying, straightening, and curling my hair and instead opted for the natural look, which looked like I just rolled out of bed most of the time (not exactly a good thing).

On January 5th, the wedding came and went and my very talented hairstylist twisted and styled my hair into an amazing updo that was full of texture and life. I loved, loved, loved it.

736255_10102599294968893_518278443_o.jpg

And eleven days later, I was ready for the big cut!

The before:

20130116_161946(0).jpg

The online directions for Beautiful Lengths hair donations were pretty straightforward:

1. Gather hair in an elastic ponytail holder
  2. Cut above the elastic
  3. Mail hair yourself

That’s it.

The salon has nothing to do with the process and anyone can cut your hair, as long as it’s all in the holder and you have at least 8 inches to donate (so say the requirements for the Beautiful Lengths program, I know other programs may require a little more).

The online instructions did suggest folks with curly or wavy hair straighten their hair before donating to ensure you have an accurate length of the hair. The measurements should also be taken from the longest layer, not the shortest.

20130116_162225.jpg

I told Stephanie (my stylist) to take as much as she could, while leaving the hair above the shoulders. She made the ponytail and I kept waiting for the butterflies to kick in, but they never did. She grabbed the scissors and, without warning, started cutting. For some reason I had pictured it would be one swift cut, but it took her a couple of minutes to make her way through my thick hair. She even stated that it was the thickest ponytail she had ever cut into.

20130116_162430.jpg

From end to end, I ended up with 11 inches of hair to donate to Beautiful Lengths. That’s 3 inches more than my original goal! Hopefully this hair will help create a beautiful wig for an amazing woman out there. It’s actually fun to think of all the history that comes with my hair and the other hair donations that are used to create one wig (they use several donations to produce one wig). With my hair, I’m sending love (this hair helped create my wedding day updo) and strength (for all the ponytails this hair has been in for marathon and triathlon training).

20130116_162443.jpg

After the “big cut” everything else was cake. I wanted a short bob that I could dress up with curls or wear straight with little prep time. Stephanie did go a little shorter than I wanted, but I’m still happy with the results. My head feels sooooo much lighter already!

From the front:

20130116_173033.jpg

Side:

20130116_172959.jpg

Back:

20130116_173011.jpg

It’s a big difference and I was ready for the change. Long hair has it’s moments, but there’s something to be said for how EASY short hair is! Maybe now I’ll stand a chance at actually doing my hair on a regular basis. Maybe.

20130116_173251.jpg

Have you ever donated hair? How much?

1 Caroline January 16, 2013 at 11:24 pm

I really wanted to donate my hair a few years ago after a friend had cancer. However, they didn’t want hair that had been highlighted, and the thought of growing out all that hair and then starting the process just seemed like it was too much. ha. I’d love to though. Your haircut looks really great!
Caroline recently posted..Homemade Lactose Free Pizza

2 M January 16, 2013 at 11:26 pm

You look so cute!!

3 Mrs. Swan January 16, 2013 at 11:28 pm

I actually kinda liked it when your holding the ponytail up. But the really short is cute too! I barely recognize you in that last picture. It will be a nice change- I do worry about it bothering you when you run though.
Mrs. Swan recently posted..Day 17

4 Christine @ BookishlyB January 16, 2013 at 11:33 pm

Wow! I wish I had the balls to chop off my mane, but I’m pretty attached (ha. ha. ha). My husband grew his out and donated it before I met him in college, though!
Christine @ BookishlyB recently posted..Top Ten Tuesday- 2013 Debuts

5 Amanda Bordonaro January 16, 2013 at 11:39 pm

I’m planning to chop mine after my wedding too! I wanted to cut it more recently to give to Pantene for wigs, but like you, I received a proposal, so now I’m waiting. Hardly a hardship πŸ˜‰ can’t wait to get married!

6 Katherine January 16, 2013 at 11:43 pm

Yes! 8 inches to pantene 1.5 years ago. Im going to donate again after my wedding in July :). Yours looks good!

7 Aimee January 16, 2013 at 11:43 pm

Honestly it’s fantastic! It makes you look polished and randomly, highlights your neck in a nice way. 2 thumbs up!

8 Georgia January 16, 2013 at 11:50 pm

What a fabulous cause! A win-win situation too – somebody gets an amazing wig and you get a fantastic new “do” πŸ™‚
Georgia recently posted.."Emergency" chocolates

9 April January 16, 2013 at 11:52 pm

That looks great! Definitely a wonderful thing you did to donate AND a great way to start of the year and marriage with a new look!
April recently posted..Wordless Wednesday

10 Amanda January 16, 2013 at 11:52 pm

I agree! Love the cut! doesn’t weight you down and elongates your neck. Love that picture of the back

11 Melissa January 16, 2013 at 11:53 pm

That looks great! I wish I could donate my hair, but I don’t think they let you if it’s been bleached, even for highlights. At least that’s how Locks of Love is.

12 Katie @ Peace Love & Oats January 16, 2013 at 11:55 pm

I’d never donate my hair because 1) it grows sooooo slow. I haven’t cut it in 9 months and it’s grown about 2 inches. And 2) I look like a crazy ball of fuzz with short hair. Haha, I can’t pull it off like you!
Katie @ Peace Love & Oats recently posted..WIAW–San Francisco Style

13 Elisabeth January 16, 2013 at 11:56 pm

The new style looks fabulous!

14 April B January 17, 2013 at 12:02 am

What an amazing gift you’re providing for a woman fighting cancer. Very cool!! Your new do looks super cute!
April B recently posted..March into April

15 Sheena January 17, 2013 at 12:02 am

I’ve donated my hair twice (the first time was 10″ an the second time was 11″). I’ve been growing it out since the last cut and was going to donated this past summer but my cousin got married August 1st and wanted my hair long, and my other cousin is getting married in a month, so i held off again. I’ll cut it an donate it after her wedding. I should be able to donate 9-14″, depending on how short I want to go this time. Both times I cut mine similar to yours, a short a-line bob that was super short in the back (she had to use the clippers on the bottom!)

16 Katie Cummings January 17, 2013 at 12:03 am

I’ve donated twice and both times were panteen! My most recent donation was in October and my stylist went too short also, oh well we’re lucky it grows back!

17 Anne @strawberryjampackedlife January 17, 2013 at 12:06 am

WIFE CHOP!!!

My hair is the opposite of yours: very fine. Thus it has never been grown out very long, since it looks terrible. I grew it out for my wedding, but the day after I chopped it back to it’s normal length (between chin and shoulder). I didn’t want to fuss with it on our honeymoon.

18 crystal January 17, 2013 at 12:14 am

I love the new cut. Adorable!!

19 Angela January 17, 2013 at 12:15 am

What a great cause! That was my plan too after my wedding but a year later I still have my long hair… Can’t get rid of it quite yet. πŸ™‚
Angela recently posted..Random Thoughts

20 TorontoRunner January 17, 2013 at 12:32 am

Wow! Good for you!!
I’ve gotten my hair cut suuuuper short before too. It’s a LOVELY change on you!
TorontoRunner recently posted..Moody Mandy

21 Helena January 17, 2013 at 12:52 am

Cute! It looks really good on you – very mature! πŸ™‚ I cut my hair that short a few years ago, but I have lots of corkscrew curls even when my hair is long – short, it looks like a cross between a poodle caught in the rain and George from the Famous Five. Have you considered adding a fringe (bangs)? I remember Katie Holmes had a super-pretty bob a few years back with a fringe and I LOVED it.

22 Meghann January 17, 2013 at 6:40 am

I wish i could pull bangs off but my cowlick makes it nearly impossible. I’ve tried, but they’ve never laid right on my forehead.

23 Jenna January 17, 2013 at 2:58 pm

Ugh cowlicks are the WORST! I always, always try for the sideswept bangs look, but my cowlick makes them look silly. C’est la vie, eh? πŸ™‚ Your hair looks great, btw!

24 Jess January 17, 2013 at 1:16 am

Your hair is so cute! I love it! I donated 19 inches when I got my first real haircut after college. Hope it went to make someone very happy πŸ™‚

25 Katie January 17, 2013 at 1:46 am

LOVE the new ‘do’! It looks so great on you! I’ve donated my hair 3 times now–what a great feeling πŸ™‚ Now you’re making me want to chop mine -again- haha!

26 Ashley January 17, 2013 at 1:56 am

Your hair looks amazing! I really really like that cut on you!
Ashley recently posted..Going the Distance

27 Margaret January 17, 2013 at 2:35 am

I’m currently growing my hair out to donate! I think I have about 6 inches so far, if I wanted to cut it to the chin-length bob I used to have, so I’ll probably wait another 6 – 9 months.
Margaret recently posted..What I Ate Wednesday

28 Mark @ fullhalfglass.com January 17, 2013 at 3:24 am

I’m in Brisbane, Australia and every March we have a “Shave for Cure” where you can get people to sponsor you to shave or colour you hair. I used to do it every year until people thought I should pay them because I have so little hair left. GREAT JOB ON THE HAIR DONATION – You are a superstar!!!

29 Hania January 17, 2013 at 4:00 am

Wow! πŸ™‚ You look beautiful!

30 Angie January 17, 2013 at 4:20 am

Looooove your new cut!! it looks great!!!!!! πŸ™‚

31 Karen January 17, 2013 at 5:41 am

That’s so sweet of you! It looks really cute! My hair hasn’t been above my shoulders in years. I’m so attached to it. You did a great thing πŸ™‚

32 Grazia January 17, 2013 at 5:51 am

Love the cut! It’s so chic! And that was a generous though from you!

33 Debbie B. January 17, 2013 at 5:51 am

I love the haircut. I have never donated my hair because I color/ bleach it. It is a very caring thing to do though. My friend who had cancer twice wore a wig and I know she was always grateful to who ever it was that was kind.

34 Allison January 17, 2013 at 5:51 am

Sooooooo cute!

35 Kathy January 17, 2013 at 6:18 am

fun, easy and cute….I am inspired!!

36 Caitlin in MD January 17, 2013 at 6:21 am

Your new haircut looks FANTASTIC! What a change! Does Derek like it?

37 Victoria (District Chocoholic) January 17, 2013 at 6:35 am

Beautiful!!!!!!!!!!!
Victoria (District Chocoholic) recently posted..A Boston Visit: The Changing Chocolate Scene

38 Army Amy* January 17, 2013 at 6:48 am

Your hair looks great! You can definitely pull off a short hair-do.

I’m like you – I like the way my hair looks long when I take the time to style it, which was rarely. Short hair for me! It’s just so much easier.*
Army Amy* recently posted..The Girl Who Gets Shizz Done

39 Michael Anderson January 17, 2013 at 6:52 am

Good for you!

My son (yes, son) donated to ‘Locks of Love’ several years back, inspired by a 1st grade classmate with leukemia who lost all of her hair. He took loads of crap for his hair (including from adults such as baseball coaches) … but he stuck with it. It is such an amazing thing to do!
Michael Anderson recently posted..Get Windows 8: 50 Questions and Answers You Need to Make a Decision for FREE!

40 Cindy January 17, 2013 at 7:00 am

Your new cut is adorable! πŸ™‚
Cindy recently posted..Day 15: Transportation

41 Hope @ With A Side Of Hope January 17, 2013 at 7:12 am

I love your new hair! It’s so cute! πŸ™‚
Hope @ With A Side Of Hope recently posted..Extreme Restaurant Meals!!…

42 Ash Bear January 17, 2013 at 7:14 am

Your hair looks so healthy and cute! I’m sure mine would probably love the same type of cut but I’m loving the long hair too much! πŸ™‚
Ash Bear recently posted..My Mantra: Believe

43 Michelle January 17, 2013 at 7:20 am

I love it!! I think you look so adorable with short hair. We have similar hair (wavy, thick, and a pain in the ass to style) and I can’t go that short – but you are definitely pulling off!!
Michelle recently posted..Race Prep, Playlist, and Blogger on the Run

44 Hillary January 17, 2013 at 7:23 am

Love the whole thing.
Hillary recently posted..2013

45 Becky @ Olives n Wine January 17, 2013 at 7:32 am

You have a gorgeous new hair style! The bob is adorable on you! I’m impressed that you were able to keep your hair long for such a long period of time. I wish I could donate mine. My hair just gets so stringy after a certain length that it is hard to maintain.
Becky @ Olives n Wine recently posted..Beauty Products I Love

46 Sam @ Better With Sprinkles January 17, 2013 at 7:44 am

It definitely looks adorable! And an amazing cause, for sure.
Sam @ Better With Sprinkles recently posted..Buffalo Wing Burgers.

47 Allison January 17, 2013 at 7:51 am

Love it! I donated 10 inches to Pantene about a year after my wedding. My hair is so thick that my hairdresser seperated it into three ponytails to make cutting easier!

48 L-A January 17, 2013 at 7:52 am

I donated 30 inches of hair a few years ago. It was thick and they said they could make a whole wig out of it! Now I can’t stand my hair being long πŸ™‚

My sister has donated 3 times now as well. Our hair grows so fast!

49 Erin January 17, 2013 at 8:10 am

I’m actually donating my hair today! When I first say your post I thought, “no way!” I’m donating to Pantene as well, probably 8 inches. I hope my new haircut turns out ok!
Erin recently posted..Music Monday: Suit & Tie by: JT and Jay-Z

50 Dee January 17, 2013 at 8:10 am

I donate every other summer. It will be the 4th time this year πŸ™‚ Love the short hair on you!

51 Christine, Random Hangers blog January 17, 2013 at 11:23 am

That’s so funny. Me too, exactly (I donate every other August on my birthday). And I think it’ll be my 4th (maybe 5th…?). And I love her short hair too, lol.
Christine, Random Hangers blog recently posted..Today, I…Ran the Disney Marathon!

52 Amy January 17, 2013 at 8:21 am

Wow! Your story is so similar to mine! I have also always wanted to donate my hair, but I never had the patience to grow it out long enough. Well, I also got engaged and committed to growing it out for the big day. A week after the wedding I got it chopped and ended up donating a whole foot of hair to Locks of Love πŸ™‚ For a while I diligently styled my shorter hair, but four months later I’ve gotten lazy again and I miss my ponytail!

53 The Neat Feet January 17, 2013 at 8:22 am

Wow! What a smart ‘do and a really inspirational way to change your hair! Kudos to you for being so brave. One day I would like to do something like this.. But I don’t think I’m quite ready for the big chop yet lol
The Neat Feet recently posted..The Next Step: Applying

54 Amber @ Busy, Bold, Blessed January 17, 2013 at 8:31 am

I’m pretty obsessed with my long hair and although I’d love to donate to the cause, I can’t see parting with my locks any time soon. I have super thick hair (I lovingly refer to it as the beast!) and I find that when it’s long it’s more manageable because it weighs itself down. Short hair = big hair for me haha.

Cute new do πŸ˜€
Amber @ Busy, Bold, Blessed recently posted..My Whole21–Days 1 through 6

55 Carly January 17, 2013 at 8:35 am

The new ‘do looks awesome! I did the same thing right after my wedding a few years ago – even donated to the same organization. I chopped mine the day after my wedding so I could have short locks for my honeymoon in Cabo. The weirdest part is washing it!! Enjoy πŸ˜€

56 Erika January 17, 2013 at 8:37 am

Oh my gosh – you look so different. The bob looks really good on you. I usually end up chopping my hair off and then regretting it, but I’ve never cut enough off to donate. I’m very lazy about taking the time to style my hair – love a wash and go cut!

57 Elizabeth January 17, 2013 at 8:39 am

You look beautiful!! I love your new hair!!

58 Coco January 17, 2013 at 8:47 am

Your so brave! It looks great- πŸ™‚
Coco recently posted..HealthyFudge +Massage + Mrs. Doubtfire

59 Michelle January 17, 2013 at 9:02 am

That looks so much better!!!
Michelle recently posted..Travel Thursday–Bernkastel-keus Wine Festival

60 Jana @ Newly Wife Healthy Life January 17, 2013 at 9:08 am

That is great Meghann! I donated my hair in November to Locks of Love… (13 inches)! And it was worth every moment of growing it out! πŸ™‚
Jana @ Newly Wife Healthy Life recently posted..Thanksgiving Weekend Recap

61 Kim January 17, 2013 at 9:11 am

I’ve donated my hair 3 times. The last time was 14 inches. I did it right after my wedding also. It’s a strange feeling holding something that was attached to you for so long huh?

62 Katie @ running4cupcakes January 17, 2013 at 9:18 am

I donated my hair in college. Super good experience! I love your new haircut – looks super cute. πŸ™‚
Katie @ running4cupcakes recently posted..Crock pot challenge

63 Kelly January 17, 2013 at 9:26 am

You look like a completely different person, but I Love It!

64 Natalie @ Free Range Human January 17, 2013 at 9:26 am

This is such an amazing thing to do. My mom went through breast cancer five years ago, and one of the most emotional parts of her journey was losing her hair. I think we all forget how important that one little thing can be to our self-esteem. She wore a wig throughout her treatments, and I’m so glad that people are selfless enough to do this!
Natalie @ Free Range Human recently posted..Taco Chili & A Downton Obsession

65 Colleen January 17, 2013 at 9:31 am

Adorable and so stylish!

66 Maryz January 17, 2013 at 9:33 am

So cute!

67 kelly January 17, 2013 at 9:37 am

My sister just donated her hair. I can only imagine how thick it was because she has the thickest EVER. LOVE your new cut. You will be surprised at how easy it is and you will definitely do it more often.

68 Steph January 17, 2013 at 9:38 am

Adorable hair cut! Thank you for the donation. When my mom first started losing her hair during chemo, we went wig shopping. It was such an emotional experience for the both of us. My mom loved her hair, and having it taken away from her was such a sad time. We found a wig that was almost identical to her regular hair style, which made her so happy. She almost felt “normal”. This post brought back memories of that day. I hope my students don’t see my weepy eyes (they’re taking midterms right now!). This is an awesome cause! πŸ™‚
Steph recently posted..Rutabaga fries

69 Silvia @ skinny jeans food January 17, 2013 at 9:40 am

You should put a tie around your ponytail saying “Lucky hair” or “Wedding hair” before you mail it in πŸ˜‰ Just imagine, someone getting a wig made all from hair that has been recently part of a bride. This person HAS TO get better, right?
Silvia @ skinny jeans food recently posted..Mirror, Mirror, on the wall…

70 Caroline Calcote January 17, 2013 at 9:42 am

I donated my hair to Pantene once! Super cute bob πŸ™‚
Caroline Calcote recently posted..Whole30, Day 9

71 Allison January 17, 2013 at 9:46 am

I donated 13 inches to locks of love while in college, and always said I would do it again, but I’ve kept my hair in a bob since then (to the extent that people started calling me bob…). I’m growing it out for the wedding and despise it everyday, so I can’t wait to chop it again……..except Steve hates my short hair πŸ˜‰ unless he wants to dry and straighten my hair everyday, I could care less. Looks great meg!

72 Amanda January 17, 2013 at 9:47 am

I did Locks of Love several years ago and loved the experience. Your new ‘do is so cute!
Amanda recently posted..stressball

73 Sarah @ Blonde Bostonian January 17, 2013 at 9:54 am

I love it! I’ve always wanted to donate my hair, but it takes SO LONG to grow out! I’ve been growing it for the last year and it’s only grown maybe 3 inches. I had short hair for years – so much easier to deal with
Sarah @ Blonde Bostonian recently posted..1st CrossFit WOD: No More Shorts

74 amyt January 17, 2013 at 9:57 am

So awesome of you!!! I haven’t donated – but I’ve had my hair like this for a few years – the cut you have is simular to mine (mine’s a lil shorter in the back) LOVE this style – take 5 mins…..quick dry time – and feels great. You look GREAT!!!!

75 Kelly January 17, 2013 at 9:57 am

Fantastic! I actually had the exact same hair cut about 4.5 years ago. It looks much better on you! I’m glad you weren’t afraid to do something new for a great cause.

76 Sami January 17, 2013 at 10:01 am

So amazing. With that hair, you’re also sending courage. Not everyone is brave enough to chop off all their hair! (I wish I could be — it’s one of my biggest fears!)
Sami recently posted..The Chobani Fairy.

77 Erica January 17, 2013 at 10:01 am

That cut looks really great on you!!! I donated 11 inches to Locks of Love several years ago and hated the short cut on myself for many weeks until it grew out. (I was much heavier then and the short hair made me look even heavier.) I want to donate again and I think I’ll go with Pantene’s Beautiful Lengths this time. But I’m waiting until after my wedding in the fall too πŸ™‚
Erica recently posted..80 Day Blog Challenge – The rest of the days

78 Reenie January 17, 2013 at 10:03 am

Very cute.

79 JD January 17, 2013 at 10:05 am

I’ve donated my hair before! I’m actually on my fifth donation cycle right now. So far I’ve donated 18″, 14″, 14″, and 12″. I’m not sure how much longer I’ll wait before making the next donation, but so far I’m around 12″ this time around, too πŸ™‚ It’s something I started doing back in high school, and I think it’s a great, easy way to help others who are going through such difficult circumstances. Good for you for making a donation as well πŸ™‚

80 Gianna January 17, 2013 at 10:22 am

Bravo to you for doing that for such an amazing cause! My hair is entirely too long at the moment, but I did a bob a few years back and looked about 12 years old. I feel selfish for my reasoning but I may see just how short it would be if I was to donate.
Gianna recently posted..(Phantom) Pains

81 Katie @ A Full Plate January 17, 2013 at 10:39 am

Wow! Your hair looks awesome. And good for you for donating! I’ve grown long hair before and thought of donating, but didn’t think my hair was ever long enough. Maybe I should try again? And yes, there is something about having short hair…it’s just so easy and maintenance free!

82 kathleen @ fittitudefreedom January 17, 2013 at 10:41 am

That’s so kind that you donated your hair to such an amazing cause! I’m sure that it will bring a smile to a special person going through a difficult time. Your bob is so stylish and once you get used to it -it’s easy to maintain. I always wear a headband when working out to keep the hair and sweat out of my face. LLL has some really nice ones that stay put and don’t slide out of place.
kathleen @ fittitudefreedom recently posted..Boilermaker Record Sell Out

83 Stephanie @ My Freckled Life January 17, 2013 at 10:53 am

I did the exact same thing after my wedding in November! I grew my hair out for about a year and a half for the wedding, and a few weeks after we got back from the honeymoon I chopped it all off! It is definitely quite a difference, but I love the change! And it’s perfect timing – a new ‘do for a new life!
Stephanie @ My Freckled Life recently posted..So, What’s Next?

84 Mary January 17, 2013 at 11:16 am

Love the short haircut! I donated my hair 11 years ago. I have kept it about shoulder length ever since. Definitely easier to maintain!

85 deva at deva by definition January 17, 2013 at 11:17 am

Super cute!! I wore my hair at that length in a similar style right up until I got engaged. Now it’s well past my shoulders. I plan to do the post-wedding chop after my wedding, too. I’m just trying to find a fun style I like!
deva at deva by definition recently posted..All About Those Workouts

86 Anne Weber-Falk January 17, 2013 at 11:39 am

Your hair looks like a style now. Very sophisticated and very beautiful.

87 polly January 17, 2013 at 12:10 pm

you look absolutely beautiful with shorter hair!! gorgeous, girl!!!!

88 Sonia the Mexigarian January 17, 2013 at 12:42 pm

You look very lovely witht he short hair. Congrats πŸ™‚ I have super thick hair hand have been wanting to cut my hair short for a looooooooong while now (ala Miley Cyrus or Anne Hathaway) but know my hair will not stand for such shortness. πŸ™ I have donated my hair before.
Sonia the Mexigarian recently posted..Baby it’s cold outside

89 Sarah @ Running at Disney January 17, 2013 at 1:34 pm

Looks great!
I donated my hair to Pantene’s Beautiful Lengths almost 5 years ago. I’ve been wanting to grow my hair out again to make another donation, but it’s so hard once your hair is short!
Sarah @ Running at Disney recently posted..Runner Tracking Now Available for the 2013 Tinker Bell Half Marathon

90 Courtney G. January 17, 2013 at 2:07 pm

Your hair looks so cute!! I donated my hair two years ago. My best friends son was diagnosed with cancer and lost all of his hair from treatments. I was able to donate 8 inches.

91 Erica January 17, 2013 at 2:13 pm

LOVE! Such a great cause too. You rock
Erica recently posted..Lighter Almond Butter Banana Oat Bars

92 Meghan @ After the Ivy League January 17, 2013 at 2:15 pm

I’ve donated my hair three times in the past for Locks of Love, I loved doing it! I might do it again soon, my hair is definitely long enough but I don’t know if I’m ready to go short again yet.
Meghan @ After the Ivy League recently posted..Cute Shoes, Core Workouts, and Cake

93 Ashley January 17, 2013 at 2:55 pm

Oh my gosh, the short hair totally changes your look….and you look FABULOUS! I love it!

94 Colleen L January 17, 2013 at 3:38 pm

Very cool! I’ve donated twice through locks of love – usually just more than 10 inches – and am just about ready to donate again. I can’t wait. It’s getting out of control, haha. You’re smart to get cuts inbetween – I probably save some money by not doing so, but it creates some pretty unmanageable hair days if I don’t dry and straighten my super thick hair.
Colleen L recently posted..Stretch!

95 Megan January 17, 2013 at 4:16 pm

I’ve chopped my hair three times to donate since I was a freshman in high school. The first time, I did it with a few girlfriends and then after that, I just grew it out for a few years, got sick of it and grew it just a little longer to make the Locks of Love minimum, I donated between 10-12 inches each time! Currently I’m in another let’s grow it out long mood, but I’m sure in a year, it’ll be time to say good bye again! Although… your new cut looks great and short is so much easier to style…you’ve got me considering a short summer style!
Megan recently posted..Party on a Mat with my Homies?!

96 Dana January 17, 2013 at 6:34 pm

That cut suits you! Congratulations on donating your hair. I know it will make someone very happy.
Dana recently posted..Olivia Pope uses the Windows 8 Phone

97 Sandy January 17, 2013 at 9:29 pm

I love it! It looks great! I have lots of hair that I could donate but I wouldn’t look so great with short hair or else I would.

98 Stacey January 17, 2013 at 9:40 pm

I’m a long time stalker of your blog, but have yet to comment until now. Congratulations on your donation! You look adorable. I’ve done it (for Locks of Love) four times now and will tell you this — there will come a time when you will miss your long hair, but rest assured that it went to a very good cause and it will grow back! I’m actually growing mine out now to do it again. Thank you for your blog, Meghann!

99 joelle (on a pink typewriter) January 18, 2013 at 9:44 am

Love it! I’ve donated my hair twice- once for Locks of Love and once for Pantene. I’m setting a goal RIGHT now to do it again – I’m in the process of growing out my hair anyways, and this gives me an added incentive. It’s such a nice thing to do, and really a small give on one person’s end but phenomenally large on the recipient’s end.

100 Emily January 18, 2013 at 2:05 pm

Looks great… And for such a wonderful cause!

I donated 13 inches right after I graduated high school. It was a really big deal for me because, until that point, I never had more than a trim. My hair was to the very, very bottom of my back. I loved it and always got compliments… But, I knew that I was hiding behind it to some extent.

I cried when the first cut was made, but then I was at peace with it. Since then, I’ve really enjoyed playing around with different cuts and styles. I don’t think I’ll ever go that long again, but I do hope to donate again!
Emily recently posted..The Best Weekend of 2012

101 Amy @ Eat Workout Succeed January 18, 2013 at 3:19 pm

What a lovely thing to do! I love your new style too!

102 Caitlin January 18, 2013 at 3:51 pm

It’s really great of you to donate! Good thing you waited til after the wedding… but I do love the side view the most. So classy!
Caitlin recently posted..Fashion Friday: Captain Jabbo Bracelet Giveaway!

103 Running Betty February 9, 2013 at 10:49 pm

now I found the post!
i have not donated my hair, but my daughters have. Wendy also has a super thick ponytail. She looked like cousin IT with hair to her waist before the cut. I think she’s done it 3 times and Alice did it once. Such an easy way to help others!

104 RJ March 3, 2013 at 2:58 pm

No one should feel guilty for NOT donating their long hair. Some of us love it, and our guys love it. I donate other things when I can.

105 Dallas November 17, 2013 at 1:42 am

I saw an add just recently about the Pantene Beautiful Lengths for women who are going through cancer. I think it is an amazing thing. Having grown up watching my own mum battle with cancer all her life & seeing what it did to her when she lost her hair she lost all of her self confidence & worth & she would not go out in public as she thought her appearance would scare people. I think it is a wonderful thing to do & more people should do it. I have grown my hair out again & i have a good 12 inches to get taken off of long red thick hair & quite a while ago I had my hair cut off for mum before the pantene beautiful lengths started but sadly my mum passed away at the age of 49 to cancer not so long ago. You did a wonderful thing Meghann & who ever out there gets your hair will put a massive smile on their face & you will have made their day.

106 Angela December 10, 2013 at 3:30 pm

Hey girl, just curious if you ever heard back about your hair being donated? I’m getting ready to donate mine and would love to know! πŸ™‚