Found!

by Meghann on January 16, 2013

So… ummm… do you remember the Garmin Forerunner 205 I thought I lost after the Crystal River Triathlon last May? I was a mess when I couldn’t find it. I spent a solid week tearing the house apart looking for it before jumping to the conclusion that I had accidentally left the watch in the Publix bathroom I had changed in after the race. After that I jumped from GPS watch to GPS watch trying to find a suitable replacement (my absolute favorite was the Garmin Forerunner 10, but it had a slight drawback of only being suitable for runs and not on the bike). Months passed and I assumed my Forerunner 205 was gone.

Then yesterday, we were loading the trunk of car when the cover of my spare tire slipped and I saw a velcro strap poking up from underneath. Well lookie there. I found my Garmin.

I couldn’t help but laugh. I had given up looking for this watch months ago and there it was. Not lost in a Publix bathroom, but cleverly hidden in the stow wheel of my car. It was there the whole time!

The last run? May 26th! It also still had a full battery and picked up signal in a matter of seconds – perfect working condition!

I strapped on the old velcro strap for my run this morning and it felt just like old times. I enjoy running with my Garmin Forerunner 10, but there was something nostalgic about running with the Forerunner 205 again. I was happy to have it. I’ll probably keep to the 10 for daily runs, but I’m thankful to have the 205 back for triathlon training. The longer battery life and ability to track my training for both the run and bike will come in handy.

My run was good. I covered a little more than 4 miles and took some time to think about my training for the next year. I’m ready to really dive back into to full training mode, I just need to find a place to start. My goal for the next week is to develop some sort of plan to slowly start building my base for Ironman Florida training. I’ll dedicate the next couple of months to base-building (with a little 10k speed training just for kicks), then dive 100% into full Ironman training mode in April or May (the race is in November). I was hoping to run a spring marathon, but I’m not sure my budget allows it for this year (new bike > spring marathon). Looks like my only marathon for 2013 will be the one at the end of the Ironman and that’s fine with me.

Breakfast.

Another yogurt morning. Strawberries are now in season in Florida and the ones I had this morning were straight from Plant City. They were so rich, juicy, and gorgeous. Man, I missed fresh strawberries!

Also in the mix:

• Plain Chobani
  • Cinnamon Cheerios
  • walnuts
  • almond slivers
  • almond butter
  • cinnamon

Yummy.

Have you ever thought you permanently lost something, only to rediscover it months later?

1 Jessica January 16, 2013 at 10:34 am

Yay for the lost-now-found Garmin! Now I think we need to schedule a girls’ bike ride for Saturday morning so you can use it… So glad to have you back! πŸ™‚

2 Meghann January 16, 2013 at 10:55 am

I’m in!!!

3 Caroline Calcote January 17, 2013 at 9:44 am

I want to do a Sat. morning ride with you guys! Let me know when you are going. I’ll get up extra early and drive to Tampa.
Caroline Calcote recently posted..Whole30, Day 9

4 NYC Fit GIrl January 16, 2013 at 10:39 am

yay!!! I have lost a few things and sworn I lost them only to discover them years later! Particularly a wallet that had lot’s of gift cards in it πŸ™‚
NYC Fit GIrl recently posted..Being Proud of Myself

5 Genelle January 16, 2013 at 10:44 am

Yay for found things! I’ve lost more things than I can count but somehow they miraculously pop up in the most random of places.
I’m looking at gps watches now; would you recommend a Garmin 205 or 10 for a new runner looking to do longer races?
Genelle recently posted..New Semester

6 Meghann January 16, 2013 at 10:54 am

I would recommend the 10 if you’re a new runner. It’s a great basic watch that’s easy to use with no “thrills.” Plus, the price is right. If you’re looking to do triathlon training or want a watch for interval speed training, I would check out the 205 or another Forerunner.

7 Karen January 16, 2013 at 10:51 am

I recently found my iPod nano that I thought was long gone! Now I don’t have to schlep around my bulky iPhone on runs! Hallelujah πŸ™‚
Karen recently posted..Tacos, chocolate and cotton

8 Katie @ running4cupcakes January 16, 2013 at 11:23 am

I am always so jealous of strawberry season in Florida. . .especially when it is cold and snowy here in MN! Enjoy some for me. πŸ™‚
Katie @ running4cupcakes recently posted..Weekend Update: 1/13/13

9 Mrs. Swan January 16, 2013 at 11:23 am

I lose stuff all the time then find it. It’s called scatter brains and having kids. LOL My most recent one was my gowearfit (by bodymedia) I lost if for about a year or so. I looked everywhere for that friggen thing. Husband looked for it as well and nada. Then last year hubby was looking for a bag to pack some clothing in (I think for the Disney Marathon 2012) and found a bag from our trip to Miami like a year and a half before that. It seems it go put away before it was completely unpacked. There was clothing for our oldest in there sized for him at that time and my gowearfit.
Mrs. Swan recently posted..Day 16

10 Annette @FitnessPerks January 16, 2013 at 11:26 am

Yay! That’s so exciting! I usually lose socks somewhere in all our clothes, and they are often found days later. Haha
Annette @FitnessPerks recently posted..pvBody Outfit Review & Link for 20% Off

11 Meghan @ After the Ivy League January 16, 2013 at 11:28 am

That’s the best feeling! Something similar happened to my friend at a concert last summer. She convinced herself she left her iPhone in one of those gross port-a-potties. A good 8 months later when I was cleaning my car I found her found tucked way underneath the passenger seat! She was pumped to have her phone back haha, even though she’d obviously already replaced it.

12 Theodora January 16, 2013 at 11:28 am

It still had a full battery?! Wow. I <3 my 405, but not its battery life.
Theodora recently posted..Review: Hydroxatone BB Cream (and Giveaway!)

13 [email protected] January 16, 2013 at 11:30 am

That looks (and sounds) crazy good. The cinnamon with the strawberries. YUM.
Sweet about IM FL. We went to watch IM AZ in Nov and it was awesome to see.

The Kidless Kronicles
[email protected] recently posted..Tuesday 1.15: Meltdowns

14 Hayley @ Running on Pumpkin January 16, 2013 at 11:36 am

Happens to me alllll the time! I am glad you found it but I get so annoyed when that happens! At least you didn’t replace it with the exact same watch, so you don’t have duplicates. I lost my camera once and bought the same one only to find it a week later…that was not good!

15 Maureen January 16, 2013 at 11:38 am

I had this happen to me recently with a pie dish. After Thanksgiving, I put the dish away where I thought I remember it, and when I went to take it back out a Christmas, it was nowhere to be found. It finally turned up over the weekend, and not at all where I thought I left it.
Maureen recently posted..Gym Pet Peeves

16 Chelsea @ CardioandCocktails January 16, 2013 at 11:53 am

I have a theory (or maybe it’s wishful thinking) that when we die (ugh that was morbid), we get a little security tape footage of all the questions we’ve had in life like whatever happened to things you lost. I once had several weird items stolen from a house party (ipod, camera, cash, three sets of car keys, and 8 movies- 4 of which starred Jessica Simpson) and I’ve always been very curious about who did it and how they went about making their selections.
Chelsea @ CardioandCocktails recently posted..Crockpot Salsa Chicken

17 Meghann January 16, 2013 at 11:58 am

I like that theory. I would love to have all those unanswered questions finally answered!

18 Gianna January 16, 2013 at 12:12 pm

Yay for finding lost items. Seems to always happen that way.

I have been trying to find an iPod nano that I haven’t used in months and months to no avail…here’s hoping that it pops up when I stop looking!
Gianna recently posted..(Phantom) Pains

19 Katie @ Peace Love and Oats January 16, 2013 at 12:13 pm

I can’t believe it was there this whole time! I always hope I’ll find things like that…
Katie @ Peace Love and Oats recently posted..WIAW–San Francisco Style

20 Sara January 16, 2013 at 12:38 pm

Wedding recaps, please! I loved your dress and want to hear all about how everything came together!

21 Meghann January 16, 2013 at 12:46 pm

I’m working on it! πŸ™‚ I’m waiting on photos from our photographer to get in the nitty gritty. I’m also still updating the “Wedding Page” with tidbits. Today I wrote about stocking our bar: http://mealsandmiles.com/wedding/

22 Emily N January 16, 2013 at 1:10 pm

glad you found that missing piece! πŸ™‚
Emily N recently posted..January Book Club: You are an Ironman

23 Elisabeth January 16, 2013 at 1:21 pm

Yay! It’s so satisfying to find something you thought was long gone πŸ˜‰

I wear a gold signet ring that was my great grandpa’s as a teenager – one time last year I noticed it was gone from my finger & I was heartbroken! I looked everywhere, but wasn’t sure when it disappeared. I ended up just happening to see something glinting in the light on the floor of my garage & there it was! I was never so happy to find something πŸ˜€

24 Joelle (on a pink typewriter) January 16, 2013 at 2:37 pm

Yes! A ring my mom passed down to me.. So relieved I eventually found it!

25 Bethany @ Accidental Intentions January 16, 2013 at 4:02 pm

Ahhh I wish I could have a similar situation with my favorite pair of running shorts! I had these awesome purple shorts that I just loved, and they mysteriously disappeared early on in my senior year. I looked EVERYWHERE and they never turned up, not even when I moved out of my apartment. Ohhhh well. Worst things have happened. (I do miss those shorts, though!).
Bethany @ Accidental Intentions recently posted..Who Am I?

26 Courtney January 16, 2013 at 4:02 pm

Love me some LOST AND FOUND!
Courtney recently posted..Keeping Women Down

27 TorontoRunner January 16, 2013 at 5:16 pm

aww so glad you found your garmin!! It’s when you stop looking that always happens, eh!
TorontoRunner recently posted..Moody Mandy

28 sarah January 16, 2013 at 6:08 pm

I can’t think of anything in particular, but I have also found a bunch of things after I wrote them off as long gone. Usually I am super happy, but if I have replaced them, it usually irritates me. STAY LOST, Dangit!

Also, SUPER jealous of your strawberries. Had a huge craving for them this week, but they are still not in season here… sad face. Enjoy the deliciousness!
sarah recently posted..Yipe?

29 Laura January 16, 2013 at 6:30 pm

I did that with my retainer back in high school-I even had to pay the $125 for a replacement retainer and then I found the old one in my desk-duh!

30 Becky January 16, 2013 at 7:09 pm

I did the same thing with a Garmin 205! Couldn’t find it ANYWHERE, finally gave up and bought a new one, and a month or so later was cleaning out my closet when I found the original one – it had somehow fallen into one of my boots. Which is especially strange because I don’t keep any running stuff in my closet, so it must have gotten stuck on or in something else. They are tricky, those 205s.

31 Julianna @ Julianna Bananna January 16, 2013 at 8:16 pm

those strawberries look so delicious!! i am majorly craving berries now. of course the chances of me getting my hands on any are next to nil (there’s only bananas and apples in the dining halls, and being on a college budget i can’t justify buying them when they’re out of season in cali) so i’ll have to settle for drooling over your pics!
Julianna @ Julianna Bananna recently posted..Life Lately.

32 Angela January 16, 2013 at 8:25 pm

I bought a bathing suit while on my honeymoon in Hawaii and thought that I left it there because I could not find it anywhere! I found it like 6 months later at my parent’s house…not sure how it got there, but I was so happy to find it!
Angela recently posted..Random Thoughts

33 Mary January 16, 2013 at 8:59 pm

I lost my original wedding band once. My husband bought a replacement for Christmas but it was just not the same. When we moved something fell out of our couch when it arrived at our new house…my wedding band! I cried when I saw it. I was so happy to have it back:)!

34 Nerri January 16, 2013 at 10:26 pm

Plant City!!! I went to the strawberry festival there a few years ago and ended up leaving with a case of the tastiest strawberries ever. Yum!

I was convinced that my (then brand new) Garmin 610 had been taken by TSA on my way to Spain this summer when I arrived in Madrid without it in my suitcase. Two weeks of mourning (and beautiful sight seeing) later, I returned home to find it on my nightstand, perfectly safe and sound. Ha!
Nerri recently posted..Pink pants & a relay around the world!

35 Axel January 17, 2013 at 5:10 pm

I’ve been missing an iPod Touch since last April after my son’s baptism… I have a suspicion that it was (mistakenly) taken by one of the guests. iPod’s seem to be big on disappearing for me… I’m now missing a Nano that was once lost for an entire season – I put it in a jacket pocket one Spring, and the warmer weather caused me not to wear that jacket all summer.

I don’t even use iPods for running much… but I do want to use them with a waterproof armband for swimming, and I won’t risk my phone with it.
Axel recently posted..The Lance Armstrong Thing