Pizza Stoners

by Meghann on January 15, 2013

Look! All our dishes match!

Does that mean we’re adults now? Weird.

I should have taken a “before” shot. After 4 years of daily food blogging, I’ve built quite a collection of mismatched dishware over the years. When we created our wedding registry, a full set of new (matching) dishes was a huge need for us. We registered for eight place settings, received three as wedding gifts, and used our gift cards to purchase the rest. I’m in love! I kept a few of my favorite pieces from our old collection of dishes and plan to donate the rest tomorrow. Expect to see a lot of crisp, white dishes on Meals and Miles from here on out. πŸ™‚

In other exciting news, check out this awesome pizza stone my parents gave Derek and I for Christmas!

We’d been dying to test this puppy out since we brought it home Christmas morning. A pizza stone usually guarantees a crispier crust and we’re big crispy crust fans.

The directions recommended letting the stone “pre-bake” in the oven at 500 degrees for 30 minutes before using.

While the stone baked, I prepped the toppings: red onions, brussels sprouts, cheddar cheese, and bacon.

For the crust I used Publix bakery dough (such a pain to roll out, but man it’s a good crust) and Bertolli for the sauce. I took the instructions’ suggestion and “lightly dusted the stone with cornmeal” before placing the dough on top.

In the oven for 10 minutes…

And – bam! – pizza!

Pretty good pizza, too. The stone really does make a huge difference with the crust – so crispy, so yummy.

The bacon and brussels sprouts weren’t a bad combination either. I’d make it again.

Do you have a pizza stone? What do you think?

1 Stacy January 15, 2013 at 9:52 pm

We also just got a pizza stone! But we make our own pizza crust and sauce…it’s not very hard, especially if someone gave you a Kitchenaid Mixer for the wedding! Try it sometime, it’s fun!
Stacy recently posted..Creature Comforts

2 Kristen January 15, 2013 at 10:15 pm

Some chef on a cooking show I watched said white dishes display food the best, so good choice for your photo’s πŸ™‚

3 Samantha January 15, 2013 at 10:16 pm

I have had my pizza stone for years! I love it! I feel like I used it a lot more when it was new, but Mark and I have busted it out a couple of times.

Man, now I want pizza. πŸ™‚

4 Becca @ Roots and Reflections January 15, 2013 at 10:17 pm

I love Public pizza dough as well! If you come across a secret pizza dough rolling method let me know. My tasty pizzas always look like crazy amebas. Odd, but yummy.
Becca @ Roots and Reflections recently posted..A Couch with a View

5 Elisabeth January 15, 2013 at 10:26 pm

I just upgraded myself from yellow, Melamine dishes from Target to a full set of white dishes (3 plate sizes, 2 bowl sizes) from Crate & Barrel – love! πŸ˜‰

6 Joelle (on a pink typewriter) January 15, 2013 at 10:46 pm

The title of this post totally made me think of Mellow Mushroom, the pizza place. I don’t know about any you’ve been to, but that description def fits the atmosphere/ staf of the one near me haha.

That pizza you guys made looks fantastic!

7 Meghann January 16, 2013 at 11:02 am

haha – you’re right!

8 Angela January 15, 2013 at 11:09 pm

I don’t have a pizza stone but it sounds amazing!! I love crispier crust. We don’t have Publix here but I’m obsessed with Trader Joe’s pizza dough!
Angela recently posted..Random Thoughts

9 Melissa January 15, 2013 at 11:56 pm

Pizza stone=love. We love Trader Joe’s dough for homemade pizza. We don’t make it as often as I’d like. πŸ™‚

10 abbi January 16, 2013 at 6:55 am

Agree, a pizza stone is wonderful! I received one as a gift and figured it would go in the pile of kitchen stuff I rarely used but I actually use it all the time. And your combination with the brussels sprouts sounds pretty great too!
abbi recently posted..Discoveries at Eat, Sleep, Run, Grow

11 Allison January 16, 2013 at 7:15 am

We have talked about getting a pizza stone, but never done it.
And congrats on the new dishes! So fun!!!

12 Sloane @ Life Food and Beer January 16, 2013 at 8:22 am

I’ve thought about buying a pizza stone too. I love crispy pizza!!
Sloane @ Life Food and Beer recently posted..Attack of the Salad!!

13 Lindsay Margaret January 16, 2013 at 8:29 am

Use the pizza stone to reheat pizza as well. Heat the oven with the stone inside before you add the pizza it makes it nice and crispy.

14 Meghann January 16, 2013 at 10:59 am

That’s a great idea! Thanks for the tip!

15 Em January 16, 2013 at 8:52 am

I make pizza dough with a recipe I found in bon appetit (http://www.bonappetit.com/recipes/2012/03/no-knead-pizza-dough). It may sound scary if you aren’t used to baking with yeast but I swear it is super easy! It just takes a little planning because you have to start it the day before. The recipe makes 6 pizzas so I usually freeze the left-over balls and thaw when I want to use them.
I also really like Trader Joe’s dough when I’m feeling lazy because it is super cheap and delicious!

16 Em January 16, 2013 at 9:28 am

I also never roll my dough out with a rolling pin. I always shape it with my hands in the air using gravity. I hold onto the edges and turn it in my hands to stretch it out before placing it on my stone or the grill.

17 Meghann January 16, 2013 at 10:58 am

I always shape mine with my hands too. I’ve tried rolling it with a pin before, but it’s always a lost cause! πŸ™‚

18 Nikole January 16, 2013 at 9:02 am

I use our pizza stone all the time. I bake biscuits or rolls on it. It is great to reheat pizza or anything bready like sandwiches. We just leave it in the oven.

19 Meghann January 16, 2013 at 10:59 am

Great tip! Thanks!

20 Carrie @ Fitness and Frozen Grapes January 16, 2013 at 9:16 am

I just recently bought a pizza stone, but I’ve used it only once. Maybe I’ll make some pizza for dinner tonight … πŸ˜‰
Carrie @ Fitness and Frozen Grapes recently posted..Introducing #TriChat

21 Natalie @ Free Range Human January 16, 2013 at 9:24 am

This just reminded me that I wanted a pizza stone for Christmas, but it didn’t make it under the tree. I really need to get one!
Natalie @ Free Range Human recently posted..Going Lorelai Gilmore

22 Sarah @ Blonde Bostonian January 16, 2013 at 9:27 am

My mom swears by her pizza stone! I really want one – what a great wedding registry gift idea!
Sarah @ Blonde Bostonian recently posted..WIAW #40: Me Time {What I Ate Wednesday}

23 Sara @ fitcupcaker January 16, 2013 at 9:34 am

ooo I love my pizza stone, It really makes the pizza so much better!
Sara @ fitcupcaker recently posted..Cinnamon Almond Butter Protein Balls {Giveaway Winner}

24 Dani @ Live Lightly Everyday January 16, 2013 at 9:52 am

That pizza looks sooo good!

25 Katie @ Peace Love & Oats January 16, 2013 at 10:00 am

I’ve never used a pizza stone, but I’m so glad you got one, I know you love making pizza! I’m sure it makes the crust so much better!
Katie @ Peace Love & Oats recently posted..WIAW–San Francisco Style

26 Erica January 16, 2013 at 10:10 am

I have that same stone! I love it. Your pizza looks perfect and hooray for new dishes. SO exciting to get all the gifts off your registry.
Erica recently posted..Lighter Almond Butter Banana Oat Bars

27 NYC Fit GIrl January 16, 2013 at 10:18 am

I love my pizza stone! Unfortunately when I moved to the city I had to leave it home because I don’t have enough room in my kitchen! Hopefully when I get my own place I can bring it back!
NYC Fit GIrl recently posted..Being Proud of Myself

28 Kristy @ Kristy's Health Revolution January 16, 2013 at 10:21 am

LOVE my pizza stone!! I make pizza about once a week. I make my own dough, though, it’s really easy — you should try it! I like to make my dough half whole wheat with some ground flaxseed and even a little oat flour. Really adds some health to the whole pizza night thing πŸ™‚
Kristy @ Kristy’s Health Revolution recently posted..β€œWild” Wednesday!

29 Meghann January 16, 2013 at 10:57 am

I’ve made my own dough before, but haven’t mastered the yeast part of it yet. We like a fluffy crust with a crispy bottom and my homemade dough never measures up to the Publix bakery dough in those aspects.

30 Kristy @ Kristy's Health Revolution January 16, 2013 at 1:23 pm

It can be tricky!! My secret is to buy the packets of yeast rather than the jar, and store them in the refrigerator. If you have a good, fresh yeast it’s easier to get that texture. But buying it is fine, too!!
Kristy @ Kristy’s Health Revolution recently posted..β€œWild” Wednesday!

31 Carly Thurman January 16, 2013 at 10:25 am

I got a pizza stone for Christmas too and I am in LOVE! Before my crust was getting burnt, but now it’s perfect πŸ™‚
Carly Thurman recently posted..January: National Birth Defects Prevention Month

32 Anna January 16, 2013 at 11:29 am

Pizza stones are the best! Mine is old and browned and aged with love. You will love it for years to come.
I’ve got to agree though, making your own pizza dough is suprisingly easy. You basically just make it and let it sit for several hours to rise. Check it out.

33 Meghann January 16, 2013 at 11:38 am

Yes, but remembering to make it ahead of time and letting it rise is the challenge. πŸ˜‰

34 Stephanie @ My Freckled Life January 16, 2013 at 12:00 pm

We got a pizza stone when we got married in November, and I LOVE it! It absolutely does make such a difference! It’s amazing! My next goal is to work on learning to make my own pizza dough!
Stephanie @ My Freckled Life recently posted..WIAW: Sickly Edition

35 Reenie January 16, 2013 at 2:06 pm

Just a reminder to all you new stoners…. (hehe) to not use soap on it when you clean it. (I usually just scrape off any food with the Pampered Chef plastic scraper ~ and wipe it off with a damp paper towel)

πŸ™‚

36 Emily N January 16, 2013 at 3:19 pm

My hubby and I have a pampered chef one that i have FINALLY mastered. πŸ™‚ next on our list is a pizza peel. they seem to have nice ones at williams sonoma.
Emily N recently posted..Pre-Flu Achievements

37 kathleen @ fittitudefreedom January 16, 2013 at 4:00 pm

Pizza is definitely my favorite food so my stone is definitely well used, seasoned and aged. I keep it in the oven all the time and have been known to cook other food items on it in addition to pizza. Highly recommend a quality pizza peel as well like Emily N mentioned in her comments. And she is right, Williams Sonoma has really nice ones. Often, I bake my my pizza on a regular pizza pan for 10-12 minutes then put it on the stone for the remaining time. IDK, but the crust gets even more crispier doing it this way.
kathleen @ fittitudefreedom recently posted..Happy New Year!

38 Chelsea @ Designs on Dinner January 16, 2013 at 4:07 pm

I never used a pizza stone until my husband and I moved into our first apartment together. Now, I wouldn’t go back! I love that crispy, delicious crust.
Chelsea @ Designs on Dinner recently posted..On Being a Humaneitarian

39 BroccoliHut January 16, 2013 at 8:16 pm

We actually got a pizza stone for our wedding too…and it’s been sitting in our kitchen unused for the past 2+ months. Thanks for the reminder! Guess I know what’s for dinner tomorrow…

40 shelly January 16, 2013 at 8:26 pm

I love our pizza stone! I also use it for cookies.

41 Colleen L January 17, 2013 at 3:42 pm

I love, love, love my pizza stone. I got one a couple of years ago for Christmas and it makes such a difference! I make pizza all the time and can’t imagine going back to not using one.
Colleen L recently posted..Stretch!