Honeymoon Breakdown

by Meghann on January 14, 2013

This afternoon Derek and I said “adios” to the beautiful Dominican Republic.

P1130002.JPG

*sniff *sniff we’re going to miss that gorgeous beach!

As all good things do, our honeymoon flew by. It was one of the shortest weeks of my life, but also one of the best. Derek and I had a blast doing absolutely nothing and we loved every minute of it.

P1130012.JPG

We definitely took the casual, no thrills approach to our honeymoon. I left my make-up bag, curling iron, and high heels at home, and lived in sandals and sundresses all week. I still got up and ran or lifted weights every morning, but it was completely on my terms. I was able to sleep in and still get a good run in before the rest of the resort started to stir.

jump.jpg

I should probably note that we stayed at the Royal Catalonia Bavaro Resort, a gorgeous all-inclusive adults only resort in Punta Cana. Though we enjoyed our stay immensely, I’m not sure it’s a resort we would return to again or recommend to anyone. The resort itself was gorgeous, the beach was amazing, and we loved the quiet laid back feel of the place (HUGE bonus points for being adult only!!), but the food wasn’t great and it lacked any sort of entertainment. We’d love to return to the Dominican Republic someday, we’ll just opt to stay at another resort.

P1100011.JPG

Since our days were sort of repetitive (minus our ziplining excursion) I’ll spare you the day-by-day recaps and instead do a general recap of what our days usually looked like.

Between 7:30 and 8:00am I would generally wake up (the DR is an hour ahead of Florida) and head for my morning run or the gym.

159839445aaa11e29b2022000a9f1561_7.jpg

Funny story, I stepped on the treadmill the first day and cranked it up to “7.” I felt great, barely breaking a sweat, but was really questioning why this pace felt so easy. Then it hit me that the treadmills were “kmh” instead of “mph” and I was actually running an equivalent of “4.something.” Whoops. Well that explains it.

There was a hidden road by the beach that was perfect for a good run. I would often run into other resort guests who were out enjoying a morning stroll on the road, which was comforting knowing I wasn’t alone.

20130110_074631.jpg

After my run I would wake Derek and we would head to the buffet for breakfast.

P1090001.JPG

It was the same ole, same ole every day. We were presented with a menu for the egg dishes, then told to help ourselves to the buffet which consisted of pastries, yogurt, breakfast meats, and fresh fruits. I tried just about everything on the egg menu (omelets, scrambles, fried eggs, hard boiled, etc.), I had to keep it interesting.

P1110029.JPG P1100070.JPG

I was a little disappointed their “fresh fruit” only consisted of watermelon, pineapple, and cantaloupe – I was hoping for something a little more exotic. However, I did enjoy the unlimited supply of nutella on the condiment bar. I’m going to miss my daily nutella fix every morning! The donuts were good as well… and the chocolate pastry knots. I’m not going to lie, I was a total carb junkie on my honeymoon. mmmm… sugary carbs. Breakfast was easily my favorite meal of the day – I have the nutella to thank for that. πŸ˜‰

P1090004.JPG

After breakfast we would transition to the beach and read while soaking up the sun.

P1130001.JPG

Unlimited Pina Coladas were also consumed.

P1090012.JPG

It wasn’t until the second-to-last day that I discovered the “Coco Loco” which is essentially a pina colada minus the pineapple. I highly recommend it if you’re heading to the Caribbean anytime soon. πŸ˜‰

P1130021.JPG

The beach was pretty to look at, but damn that water was cold! I guess that’s the price you pay for being in the caribbean in January. However, the cold water was a small price to pay since the weather was generally awesome. We had highs in the low 80s the entire time we were there and enjoyed a cool breeze when ever we were near the water. It was a welcomed change to lay out in the sun and not worry about sweating up a storm.

P1130006.JPG

We tried a couple of places for lunch, but our favorite was the snack bar by the beach.

It was an open-air restaurant that had a basic menu of burgers, salads, and other predictable beach food.

P1090031.JPG

My favorite meal of the week (which I had twice) was the chicken burger with blue cheese, bacon, caramelized onions, and a side of potato wedges.

I tried a few other items and they were just okay.

P1120103.JPG P1130022.JPG P1100005.JPG P1100007.JPG

Ordering an extra side of the potato wedges always helped. πŸ˜‰

P1100009.JPG

As did a Presidente.

P1090027.JPG

The afternoons were generally spent napping, reading, enjoying a cappuccino, or just hanging out in the pool.

P1130014.JPG P1130015.JPG

P1130016.JPG

We had a couple’s massage one day, which was a nice treat.

P1100004.JPG

P1100002.JPG

Dinner was “dress-up” time.

IMG_7397.JPG IMG_7399.jpg

We ventured to the resort next door one night to try the Japanese Steakhouse on property.

P1090058.JPG

The hibachi show was entertaining, but the food was overcooked and simply “meh.”

P1090067.JPG

The Tapas restaurant was just okay as well.

The food had no seasoning, no pizzazz.

At least the coconut ice cream with the fried donut was good.

It took us a while to discover that our favorite lunchtime restaurant by the ocean served dinner as well.

P1130026.JPG

Not just any dinner either, fresh lobster grilled right in front of us – score!

P1130025.JPG

We had fresh grilled lobster the last two nights, hands down our favorite meals of the trip. The steak I had with the surf ‘n’ turf the last night was pretty decent as well.

P1130030.JPG

P1130035.JPG

There wasn’t much else to do after dinner each night but head back to the room. The bars at our hotel closed early and the only entertainment we caught at the sister hotel next door wasn’t in english. Can’t say we complained about that too much, it was really nice to be in the room by 10:00pm each night.

Especially with a nice jacuzzi tub to keep us entertained.

Like I said above, the week really did fly by. Derek and I had an amazing honeymoon and I’m so grateful I had the chance to just sit back and relax with my new hubby. It’s so cliche, but I really do fall more in love with him with each passing day and can’t wait to spend the rest of my life with him as husband and wife.

P1100017.JPG

1 Mrs. Swan January 15, 2013 at 12:19 am

Lots of pics- It’s almost like we are right there with you. πŸ™‚
We bought a house instead of a honeymoon. LOL
Mrs. Swan recently posted..S~T~R~E~S~S~E~D

2 Nicole January 15, 2013 at 1:05 am

I love your blue swimsuit! Who makes it?

3 Meghann January 15, 2013 at 6:43 am

It’s Victoria Secret – I’ve had it for years!

4 Angela January 15, 2013 at 1:36 am

Looks amazing and sooo relaxing!! So happy you and your new husband got some quality time together after the wedding!! I need a vacation now. πŸ™‚
Angela recently posted..Where We Belong

5 Army Amy* January 15, 2013 at 2:51 am

Aww! You sound so happy!*
Army Amy* recently posted..Without My Wingman

6 Chelsea @ Designs on Dinner January 15, 2013 at 5:35 am

Looks like you had a beautiful honeymoon! And if being happy is cliche, I’d take it any day.
Chelsea @ Designs on Dinner recently posted..Game Day

7 Coco January 15, 2013 at 6:58 am

Looks beautiful! πŸ™‚ cheers to the happy couple!
Coco recently posted..Monday Yumday!

8 J January 15, 2013 at 7:10 am

I love that you got up and ran or worked out every day. I did that on my honeymoon too. I also did that last year on the cruise we went on and plan to do it again this year when we go on the cruise. I just love working out while on vacation! I feel like my family and in-laws don’t understand and think I am crazy for doing that.

9 Danielle @ itsaharleyyylife January 15, 2013 at 7:37 am

it looks like you guys had a blast! you look beautiful! sorry the food wasn’t the best but a week of just you two starting your life together.. I don’t think anything can ruin that! (:
Danielle @ itsaharleyyylife recently posted..#MyDietToGo

10 [email protected] January 15, 2013 at 7:51 am

I am new to your blog and what a first post to read. That just sounds amazing to me. Although I though had a similar reaction to the food at Sandals in the Bahama’s.

The Kidless Kronicles
[email protected] recently posted..Monday 1.14: Results

11 Madison January 15, 2013 at 7:53 am

That seems like a great honeymoon with lots of relaxing! Congratulations on your marriage–bask in the awesome-ness. Also, you look so beautiful and glowing in your pics!
Madison recently posted..Monday Funday

12 NYC Fit GIrl January 15, 2013 at 8:39 am

Looks like a lovely relaxing vacation!!
NYC Fit GIrl recently posted..Being Proud of Myself

13 carol January 15, 2013 at 8:47 am

L O V E your white dress. Simple – classy.

14 Megan January 15, 2013 at 8:49 am

looks fun! You look so happy and relaxed! Love the pic of you jumpin on the beach! so cute.

15 Dori January 15, 2013 at 9:10 am

Nice honeymoon! You just got me really excited for mine in June. It can’t come soon enough!
Dori recently posted..Workout Plan: Week of January 13, 2013

16 Jodi January 15, 2013 at 9:11 am

Congrats Meghann! I wish for you all the best in your endeavors! The next time you go on vacation, please come to Jamaica. I would love to meet you in person and I know that you will have a blast! We Jamaicans are friendly and we have lots of activities for you to enjoy! See you in JA soon!! Yeahmon.

17 Becky @ Olives n Wine January 15, 2013 at 9:21 am

What a gorgeous honeymoon! It looks like you had a great time πŸ™‚ I agree with you on the all-inclusive resorts – the food is never great but it is nice not to worry about anything on a trip!
Becky @ Olives n Wine recently posted..Homemade {Salt-Free} Taco Seasoning

18 Melissa January 15, 2013 at 9:28 am

Awww…you know, I felt almost sad reading this. It doesn’t sound like you had a whole lot of fun. I went to the Caribbean a few years ago and I have to say, I kinda had the same experience as you (though we didn’t stay at an all-inclusive). Cold water (we went in March though), bland/bad food, nothing to do at night. It wasn’t what I expected, and I likely won’t be back πŸ™

The ziplining looked like a lot of fun though!!

You look AMAZING in your pictures! I love that white dress + belt combo, very cute!

19 Karen @ Runner Girl Eats January 15, 2013 at 9:32 am

Glad you had fun on the ‘moon! It seems like a great time with your new hubs and the pictures are beautiful!
Karen @ Runner Girl Eats recently posted..America’s Sweetest Race? Not so much.

20 Candice January 15, 2013 at 9:43 am

Congrats skinny minnie!
Your honeymoon looks absolutely perfect!
Candice recently posted..Apple Cinnamon Chocolate Bites

21 Amanda Bordonaro January 15, 2013 at 9:43 am

Looks like you had an amazing time! You and Derek look so blissful and happy! Can’t wait for my wedding and honeymoon next year πŸ™‚

22 Steph January 15, 2013 at 9:49 am

Welcome back! I’ll take a week of relaxation any day! Congrats again and glad you had a good time!
Steph recently posted..Is that a glow stick in your pocket, or are you just happy to see me?

23 Emily January 15, 2013 at 9:50 am

I studied abroad in the DR in college, and lived with local host families in Santo Domingo (the capital city, which is full of culture and nightlife and would totally be worth visiting if you go again) and in the San Juan province in the mountains. I just wanted to say that resort culture doesn’t represent the DR as a whole! Resorts don’t really give you a taste of traditional Dominican food, music, or culture. So, I hope your readers don’t judge the country as a whole and think the food is bad in DR…there is delicious food out there: rice and beans, chicken, fried plantains, tropical fruits (other than pineapple), etc. However, resorts cook food they think foreign visitors will like. To get a real taste of the DR, you have to leave the resort. But hey, at least you got to enjoy some ice-cold Presidente!

24 Meghann January 15, 2013 at 2:50 pm

Totally agree 100%. That’s why we said we would return to the DR, just not that resort. My mom travels to DR once a year for mission work and she adores the country. If we do go back, we’d head to Santo Domingo.

25 Reenie January 15, 2013 at 9:56 am

Sounds like a wonderul time and my kind of vacay…. sun, drink, eat, relax πŸ™‚

26 Natalie @ Free Range Human January 15, 2013 at 10:03 am

So glad you had a good trip!
Natalie @ Free Range Human recently posted..World’s Highest Hill

27 amy January 15, 2013 at 10:07 am

You should live in strapless tops/dresses they look awesome on you! Love the dress with the red top!
amy recently posted..Body Awareness

28 TorontoRunner January 15, 2013 at 10:14 am

ahhh I love all the pictures..you look soooo good and so happy!! I’m glad you had a great time!
TorontoRunner recently posted..Just call me Flash Gordon!!

29 Dani @ Live Lightly Everyday January 15, 2013 at 10:56 am

It sounds like you two had the perfect, relaxing honeymoon! Jealous of the warm weather!!

30 Emily N January 15, 2013 at 10:59 am

that sounds a lot like me & j in mexico!
Emily N recently posted..January Book Club: You are an Ironman

31 Katie @ Peace Love & Oats January 15, 2013 at 11:26 am

I’m glad you enjoyed your honeymoon, it looks so beautiful and relaxing!
Katie @ Peace Love & Oats recently posted..Final Days in Denver

32 Annette @FitnessPerks January 15, 2013 at 11:28 am

That looks soooooo relaxing! It reminds me of our honeymoon–I actually really loved the food at our resort, in Cancun. Sorry the food was only so-so! The weather looked amazing though πŸ™‚
Annette @FitnessPerks recently posted..Health Nut? Or Not?

33 Elisabeth January 15, 2013 at 12:18 pm

Looks soooo relaxing! I’d love to escape the Ohio winter (which I must say has been surprisingly mild this past week) for a little tropical vacation πŸ˜‰

34 Sami January 15, 2013 at 12:21 pm

where in the world did you find that adorable blue bikini? my guess is vicky’s secret… but i hate trying to navigate their webpage!
Sami recently posted..The Chobani Fairy.

35 Meghann January 15, 2013 at 2:47 pm

Yep, I bought it through one of their big bikini sales a few years ago. It’s still one of my favorite swimsuits!

36 Allison January 15, 2013 at 12:27 pm

Wow! Looks like a beautiful place.
Allison recently posted..Clean Eating, Week 2

37 Charlie (The Runner Beans) January 15, 2013 at 12:31 pm

Try Sandal’s Resorts, they are all inclusive, adults only resorts and the food is amazing. There were a number of different restaurants when I went, including an awesome sushi bar. Plus all watersports are free!! Highly recommended!
Charlie (The Runner Beans) recently posted..A Bad Day

38 Meghann January 15, 2013 at 2:46 pm

We looked at Sandal’s but it was a little out of our price range. Maybe next time we’ll be able to spend a little more and splurge on a Sandal’s resort. πŸ™‚

39 Charlie (therunnerbeans) January 15, 2013 at 4:17 pm

Agree it is pretty pricey, worth working out when their ‘off season’ is, we got a great deal in a sale during the quiet season. And I didn’t spend anything when I was there! It’s all what you make on your trip though and it seems like you and Derek had a blast!
Charlie (therunnerbeans) recently posted..A Bad Day

40 Ashley @ Eat Run Live Happy January 15, 2013 at 12:43 pm

It looks like you had such a great time! I love love that white dress you had on with the brown belt! Too cute. The food looks amazing but that water looks even more amazing!
Ashley @ Eat Run Live Happy recently posted..The emotions with food, and of course the children.

41 Brenna January 15, 2013 at 12:43 pm

Congrats!! My boyfriend and I went to the DR and stayed at that exact resort in September 2011. I thought when I was looking at your pictures that it all looked familiar and I had a sneaking suspicion it was the same place. Our thoughts were the exact same as yours; wonderful and relaxing time but we probably would try another resort. We also didn’t like how there was so much smoking everywhere we went!

42 Meghann January 15, 2013 at 2:46 pm

I was actually pleased with the smoking situation. I was grateful they didn’t allow smoking inside any of the buildings or pavilions and we were able to place ourselves on the beach away from all the smokers. I was expecting far worse, so I was pleasantly surprised. πŸ™‚

43 Caitlin January 15, 2013 at 2:39 pm

GREAT vaca! I’d have been SO bummed about the food not being good. But you made the most of what you had – the lobster, potato wedges, chicken burger all look great. And you can’t go wrong with a fried donut and ice cream! I’d have been lounging by the pool or beach with drinks all day too. Yes doing nothing can be GLORIOUS! I’ll have to remember that Coco Loco thing for sure. I appreciate your honesty about where you stayed!
Caitlin recently posted..Outside Our (Workout) Comfort Zones

44 Katie @ Balanced RD January 15, 2013 at 4:15 pm

Your honeymoon looked perfect!! Relaxing sounds like the best way to spend a honeymoon πŸ™‚

45 Jay January 15, 2013 at 5:59 pm

This sentence makes no sense: “Between 7:30 and 8:00am I would generally wake up (the DR is an hour ahead of Florida so it felt more like 8:30- 9:00am to me) and head for my morning run or the gym.”

If it’s an hour ahead, it would feel like 6:30-7 to you. Easy to confuse, especially since you’re probably still on island time!

46 Jamie @ StudioEats January 15, 2013 at 5:59 pm

Looks like such a nice well rounded, relaxing vacation πŸ™‚
Jamie @ StudioEats recently posted..Simple Winter Pasta in a Light Coat of Butter

47 BroccoliHut January 15, 2013 at 8:01 pm

Sounds like you two had a very relaxing honeymoon!
We had a similar experience with our resort in Jamaica–the food was “meh,” and we probably wouldn’t return to the same resort in the future. Our resort also allowed kids, and it was a little annoying to have them running around the pool sometimes.
Did you ever find yourself missing Maddie? Every few days, Seth and I would look at each other and ask, “I wonder what Margot is doing right now…” Haha!

48 Nancy January 15, 2013 at 9:07 pm

That looks so amazing! The Dominican Republic is so beautiful. I think the food is meh at any of the resorts down there, though. You definitely go there for the beaches and the drinks. πŸ™‚
Nancy recently posted..music / best songs of 2012

49 The Many Thoughts of a Reader January 15, 2013 at 9:44 pm

Adult only is the way to go. πŸ˜‰ We went to the Sandals Resort in Ocho Rios for our honeymoon. Loved it. The DR is on our list, good to know about the lack of entertainment/yuck food at this one. πŸ˜‰
The Many Thoughts of a Reader recently posted..February Group Read Suggestions