Ziplining in the Dominican Republic

by Meghann on January 12, 2013

Hola!

P1110046.JPG

We took a break from beach and pool lounging yesterday (which has been AWESOME by the way!) for a little ziplining adventure in the Dominican Republic mountains.

P1110062.JPG

Our hotel offers several off-site excursions that guests can take advantage of for an additional fee. Since the water is a tad on the chilly side for these Floridians (brrrr…) we opted out of snorkeling or scuba diving and instead chose an adventure that kept us on dry land.

P1110051.JPG

We’ve both been ziplining once outside of Orlando and loved it, however, this was going to be a tad different. Instead of being surrounded by swamps, we were going to be in mountains surrounded by a lush tropical paradise, and instead of ziplining at night, we would be soaking in the beauty and adventure of ziplining in the bright Dominican sunshine.

P1110050.JPG

The drive up to ziplining was intense. It was a 1.5 hour drive with the latter half on a teeny tiny bumpy dirt road that wasn’t meant for the huge open-air truck/ van we were riding in.

P1110095.JPG

It was definitely an experience, but the views were worth it. Check out all that green!

P1110061.JPG

When we arrived, they gave a quick break down of all the lines we would be riding. There were 16 platforms for a total of 8 rides.

P1110063.JPG

We signed our lives away…

P1110066.JPG

Then it was time to gear up.

P1110065.JPG

DSC08490.JPG DSC08494.JPG

P1110072.JPG

And this is where I had to put my camera away. We weren’t allowed to bring cameras out on the lines with us, which is a shame because the scenery was absolutely amazing. The views from each of the platforms, and the ones while riding the lines, really took my breath away. It was an experience I will never forget.

They did offer personal photo CDs for $20 per couple, which honestly isn’t that bad of a deal. I’ve had other excursion companies try to sell me a single 5×7 for $25+ before. At least with the CDs we get several photos and I have the rights to post them online.

DSC08526.JPG

Ha! Do I look a little unsure or what?

I just wish I had some photos of the views!

DSC08529.JPG

Do you see Derek’s feet?

DSC08532.JPG

He did all 8 lines with flip flops on! I lost a $5 bet when he managed to keep them on the whole time. Darn.

DSC08534.JPG

Weeee……

DSC08656.JPG

Was it scary? A little, but it was more fun than anything.

DSC08658.JPG

I tried to soak every moment of it in. I’m not sure I’ll ever have the chance to zipline in the Dominican Republic again and I didn’t want to miss a second of it.

DSC08659.JPG

DSC08661.JPG

DSC08664.JPG

DSC08665.JPG

A-ma-zing.

After we were done ziplining, Derek and I indulged in a local favorite in honor of my mom.

P1110083.JPG

My mom travels to the Dominican Republic every year for mission trips and always talks about Presidente and how it’s never as good back home as it is in the DR. She’s right – it’s so so so much better here. They serve it ice cold in glass bottles and it’s so refreshing on a hot, sunny day.

This one’s for you, Mom! Cheers!

P1110084.jpg P1110085.jpg

Proof of how bumpy the ride was on the way back.

P1110093.JPG

Yes, we were allowed to drink our beers in the open air truck. Welcome to the DR!

One last beauty shot before we said our good-byes.

P1110094.JPG

If you’re a huge Jurassic Park fan, that scene may look familiar. Apparently all of the scenery shots for the movie were shot here. Pretty cool, right?

We were WIPED after yesterday’s adventure. Who knew hiking between platforms would take so much out of us? Today we’re recommitting to being as lazy as possible.

P1100024.JPG

Yep. That’s the spot.

Adios!

P1100015.JPG

1 Rachael January 12, 2013 at 4:02 pm

Wow, this looks like so much fun! Also, that white bikini looks amazing on you!!

2 Pam January 12, 2013 at 4:04 pm

So fun! Looks like an experience you’ll always treasure. Glad you guys are enjoying your honeymoon and congrats again on your marriage – glad to see you both looking so happy and in love <3

3 Katie @ Peace Love & Oats January 12, 2013 at 4:10 pm

oh wow, what an experience! I’ve always wanted to do a ziplining trip like that! Glad you are enjoying your honeymoon!
Katie @ Peace Love & Oats recently posted..Sambazon Smoothies GIVEAWAY!

4 Hayley @ Running on Pumpkin January 12, 2013 at 4:15 pm

This is totally my type of day!!! I love adventure and anything involving adrenaline so I would be so in for this. What a cool opportunity and I bet you will savor that memory forever!

5 [email protected], not Punishment January 12, 2013 at 4:19 pm

I’m moderately OBSESSED with the idea of zip lining! That looks like so much fun! As does the pool time. Gah, I need a vacation.

Happy, happy honeymooning!
[email protected], not Punishment recently posted..Crappy but Even Swimmier!

6 beka @ rebecca roams January 12, 2013 at 5:25 pm

Those loungers in the pool are awesome! I have never been ziplining, but I think it’d be a blast. There is one in Ocala that I saw Julie(PBFingers) do that looks pretty fun!
beka @ rebecca roams recently posted..A Return to Friday Letters

7 Allison January 12, 2013 at 5:38 pm

O how fun! We have zip lined a lot and its always awesome!
Allison recently posted..I have no Friday Confessions, today I stand on my soapbox

8 Jean January 12, 2013 at 6:56 pm

It may just be the picture messing with perspective, but that beer looks huge! Not that there’s anything wrong with that. I’ve always wanted to try zip lining, especially in a place as beautiful as that!

9 Amy January 12, 2013 at 7:15 pm

Meanwhile in Canada…i’m surrounded by snow and it’s -15 degrees outside.

10 Ashton January 12, 2013 at 7:45 pm

The honeymoon looks awesome! A giant beer is always a great way to celebrate!

11 Erica January 12, 2013 at 9:24 pm

ah! SO much fun! great excursion. You are lookin jammin in your suit! hope the rest of your trip is amazing.
Erica recently posted..Launch Day & Restaurant Week

12 Steph January 12, 2013 at 9:41 pm

Looks like a BLAST!!!! πŸ˜€
Steph recently posted..Is that a glow stick in your pocket, or are you just happy to see me?

13 [email protected] January 12, 2013 at 10:06 pm

Ziplining is a bucket list item for me! Looks like so much fun!

Love your bathing suit! Adorable!

14 CaligirlSM January 12, 2013 at 11:34 pm

Looks like you guys had a blast!! I went ziplining in St. Lucia and absolutely LOVED it. They let us take our cameras though so we were able to get great shots and some video as well. Seems like you are having a great honeymoon!

15 TorontoRunner January 12, 2013 at 11:48 pm

That looks SO cool and such a pretty background. I’ve never been daring enough to do anything like that before!
TorontoRunner recently posted..Internet, TV, or Phone!??

16 Annette @FitnessPerks January 13, 2013 at 12:17 am

Ohhhhh my gosh! FUN! I must go ziplining with the husband soon–he’d love it.

Love your suit. Cute.

17 Sanne January 13, 2013 at 3:36 am

That looks like so much fun! Enjoy the rest of the honeymoon!
Sanne recently posted..Visiting Louis

18 Debbie B. January 13, 2013 at 5:00 am

I have never really thought of the DR as a place I needed to visit but not I really want to go ziplining through the tropical mountains. So much fun. Oh and of course finish with a beer. Cheers!

19 Army Amy* January 13, 2013 at 8:42 am

Great to see that you and Derek are having a wonderful honeymoon – a little fun and a lot of relaxation – sounds perfect!*

20 Natalie @ Free Range Human January 13, 2013 at 9:16 am

Ziplining is so much fun! Looks like the honeymoon is going perfectly!

21 Nicole January 13, 2013 at 10:28 am

So cool! Also, you look AMAZING in that bikini! Glad you’re having a good time!

22 Megan January 13, 2013 at 10:30 am

you look awesome!! jealous of your tan!

23 Heidi January 13, 2013 at 11:10 am

Jurassic Park was filmed on Kauai!

24 MealsAndMiles January 13, 2013 at 11:57 am

Some of the background scenery shots were filmed in the DR

25 MealsAndMiles January 13, 2013 at 4:47 pm
26 Reenie January 13, 2013 at 11:26 am

How fun. Love the pool lounge chairs. You look great in that swim suit.

27 Sara @ fitcupcaker January 13, 2013 at 2:51 pm

blogging on honeymoon= true blogger πŸ™‚ Looks like a blast πŸ™‚
Sara @ fitcupcaker recently posted..Fantastic Finds and Brownie In A Mug

28 Amanda January 13, 2013 at 2:53 pm

I want to smack you and say “stop blogging! go enjoy your honeymoon!!” but I love reading the posts, so instead I’ll just say “enjoy your honeymoon!!” πŸ™‚

29 Meredith January 13, 2013 at 4:13 pm

WOW, you’re so brave! That looks amazing – glad you’re having a great honeymoon!
Meredith recently posted..Our Save the Dates – and Vistaprint DEALS!

30 Karen @ Runner Girl Eats January 13, 2013 at 7:09 pm

Ah it looks sooo pretty there! I have been wanting to zipline so badly and this looks incredible. I’m glad you are having enjoying yourselves and taking some time to be lazy πŸ™‚
Karen @ Runner Girl Eats recently posted..Hot not to spend race day eve

31 Melissa January 13, 2013 at 8:57 pm

I’ve never done ziplining. I need to change that!
Melissa recently posted..Somehow Today Got Busy

32 Angela January 14, 2013 at 1:23 am

Wowwwww! Looks so amazing! What a great honeymoon!! πŸ™‚
Angela recently posted..Where We Belong

33 Leslie January 14, 2013 at 10:17 am

Oh this brings back great memories! We went ziplining in Jamaica last February and loved every second of it. We went again in Wisconsin Dells this past October and although it was fun it just wasn’t the same. The scenery just makes it.
And that is one really BIG bottle of beer! Go big or go home!! LOL Glad to see you are having a wonderful honeymoon!
Leslie recently posted..Blizzard Warning!!

34 Dani @ Live Lightly Everyday January 14, 2013 at 11:37 am

How fun! That is something I have always wanted to do. Ziplining doesn’t scare me as much as snorkeling/scuba diving would! I love to be ON the beach, but in the water is another story… I am a big baby!
Dani @ Live Lightly Everyday recently posted..This is going to be a long one…

35 Katie January 14, 2013 at 2:35 pm

You look so relaxed and beautiful! Honeymooning is being goodt o you both πŸ™‚ Enjoy!

36 Kristen January 14, 2013 at 5:58 pm

Ziplining is awesome! Glad you’re having such a great time. As I sit at my desk at work looking at the pool pics I must say that I am sooooooooooo jealous!
Kristen recently posted..Life as an AmeriCanadian in 2012

37 Caitlin January 15, 2013 at 2:34 pm

Now that’s a big bottle o’ beer! Love your white bikini. That $20 for the CD really isn’t bad at all. I’d totally buy that! My fam spent a fortune on our swimming with dolphin pics when we went to MX forever ago but seriously, how could we not purchase them? I am such a scaredy cat and would never zipline haha so good for you!
Caitlin recently posted..Outside Our (Workout) Comfort Zones

38 [email protected] January 16, 2013 at 11:35 am

That’s the exact same zip line tour my hubby and I did on our honeymoon in Punta! We had so much fun and bought the CD too πŸ™‚ We stayed at The Excellence and had a wonderful time. Congrats!