more ยป" />

Honeymooners

by MealsAndMiles on January 8, 2013

Hello from the Atlanta Airport!

image

Derek and I have a quick layover before we are on our way to the Dominican Republic. Why did we stop in Atlanta on the way to the DR? I have no idea, but do airline routes ever make sense?

I just wanted to check in before we boarded. I have a few wedding posts in the works while we are away and I plan to check in with some honeymoon related posts as well.

The first 48 hrs as a married couple have been WONDERFUL! Taking an extra day to recharge before leaving for our honeymoon was probably the best idea we’ve ever had. The extra day gave us a chance to relax, run a few errands, pack, and just take it all in.

image

My mom had special “Just Married” magnets made for the side of our cars. We kept them on while we were running errands yesterday and discovered this note in the windshield when leaving the Target parking lot.

image

The note made our day and reminded us there are still some amazing people out there. Nothing makes me smile more than the unexpected kindness of a stranger.

Last night we finished off the last of the wedding cake at Derek’s parents’ house while reviewing photos everyone took during the wedding.

image

Can I take a minute to rave about our wedding cake? My uncle did an amazing job. Not only was it gorgeous, but it tasted incredible as well. I know I’m incredibly bias, but Best. Wedding. Cake. Ever. I promise to share more photos when I do my recap of the reception.

Alright, our flight is boarding!! Next stop – Dominican Republic!

image

1 Aly January 8, 2013 at 10:21 am

Your wedding is beautiful! I love the combination of diamonds and sapphires.

2 Sandy January 8, 2013 at 10:22 am

Congratulations and have a great time!

3 Natalie @ Free Range Human January 8, 2013 at 10:25 am

That note is amazing! I love when people surprise you :) Have so much fun!!!!!

4 Stephanie @ My Freckled Life January 8, 2013 at 10:27 am

Have an amazing time in the Dominca Republic!! My husband and I were just there for our own honeymoon in November! It is absolutely a gorgeous country, and the people there are so friendly!! We had a blast, and DEFINITELY plan on going back!

5 Stephanie @ My Freckled Life January 8, 2013 at 10:28 am

*Dominican – Too early in the morning for spelling!

6 Reenie January 8, 2013 at 10:47 am

Enjoy….. can’t wait to hear and see all about your wedding!! =)

7 Katie @ Peace Love & Oats January 8, 2013 at 10:55 am

Congrats!!! Have a great time on your honeymoon and don’t blog too much!!!

8 Cheryl January 8, 2013 at 10:56 am

Your band turned out gorgeous and looks PERFECT with your engagement ring! Have a great trip!

9 Hayley @ Running on Pumpkin January 8, 2013 at 10:59 am

Have so much fun!!! That note from a stranger is so kind and I agree that things like that serve as reminders that there are some great people out there. Your wedding cake looks amazing as well.

10 Cher @ Weddicted January 8, 2013 at 11:03 am

Heartfelt congratulations! Have a wonderful and safe honeymoon!!

11 carol January 8, 2013 at 11:06 am

Classy ring combination – love them. Enjoy the DR.

12 Annette @FitnessPerks January 8, 2013 at 11:08 am

YAY! Love this. Have a GREAT time!!

13 Rebecca January 8, 2013 at 11:11 am

The rings look great! Thanks for sharing the note that some sweet woman (looks like lady writing, right?) left. Someone backed into my car on Saturday in the mall parking lot and left without leaving a note and I’ve been feeling a little cranky towards the general public. You’re right, there are good people out there!

Have a super honeymoon!

14 LizForADay January 8, 2013 at 11:12 am

That cake looks mighty tasty and I absolutely love the note. Congratulations & have a great vacation

15 kath January 8, 2013 at 11:21 am

I am going on my honeymoon to the DR in July!! Can’t wait to hear all about it. Enjoy :))

16 Army Amy* January 8, 2013 at 11:21 am

It’s so nice that you’ve been able to take some time to rest and recharge! I hope y’all have a great honeymoon and enjoy being newlyweds! Congrats on tying the knot!*

17 Katie @ A Full Plate January 8, 2013 at 11:25 am

Congratulations! Love the idea of car magnets! Have fun in DR :)

18 Meagan @ Managing Meagan January 8, 2013 at 11:25 am

Aw! Looks like you two had a great day and recovery day. Have fun on the honeymoon!!! CONGRATS!!!!!!!!!!!!

19 Dani @ Live Lightly Everyday January 8, 2013 at 11:29 am

Random acts of kindness like that note left on your car are needed more in this love. That is amazing. Congratulations to you two!

20 Becky @ Olives n Wine January 8, 2013 at 11:29 am

Congrats again! Have a blast on your honeymoon in the DR – it’ll be a trip you look back on and smile for years to come :)

21 Kaylin January 8, 2013 at 11:33 am

Have an amazing time in the DR! I’ve been there twice and am actually getting married there in a month!

22 Dana January 8, 2013 at 11:39 am

Congratulations!

23 Sam @ Better With Sprinkles January 8, 2013 at 11:47 am

That note is so sweet. Clearly, there are good people left in the world!

24 Brittney January 8, 2013 at 11:53 am

Congratulations! Have so much fun in the DR! I love it there and am jealous you are going :)

25 Ashley January 8, 2013 at 12:00 pm

not going to lie, I’ve been stalking your wedding via twitter. It looked amazing!! Super glad everything came together. Congrats Mrs. Russell! I can’t wait to read your wedding posts! Have fun on your honeymoon!

26 Samantha Angela January 8, 2013 at 12:20 pm

Have a fantastic honeymoon! You guys deserve it.

And how sweet is your mom for making those magnets? I love that someone wrote you a note. That would have made my day!

I can’t believe your uncle made those cakes. Is he a pro baker? Certainly looks like it.

27 Hope @ With A Side Of Hope January 8, 2013 at 12:33 pm

Congrats!! Have an amazing honeymoon! :) That note is super sweet!

28 Karen January 8, 2013 at 12:48 pm

I love the sapphires in your ring. Hope you have a great time in the DR. There are so great caves to wonder through and lots of rum factories that offer tastings ;)

29 Amy January 8, 2013 at 12:49 pm

I have always thought you reminded me of someone. The magets finally solved the mystery: Pippa Middleton!!!

Congrats!!!

30 Kathy January 8, 2013 at 1:05 pm

Rings look great…but CAKE looks amazing…I thought the pictures of it were nice but the inside looks even better. Yes, I am a sweet over jewelry lover…easy buying for hubs ~ not good on the thighs. ;-)

Enjoy your honey moon.

Amazing magnet by the way!

I want to see that on your car in 50 years!! (and every Anniversary in between!)

31 Katie @ Balanced RD January 8, 2013 at 1:08 pm

You looked beautiful in your wedding pictures! That note was so cute :) have a great honeymoon!

32 Natalie @ will jog for food January 8, 2013 at 1:30 pm

Have fun in the DR!? Make sure to drink some Mamajuana ;)

33 Bethany @ Accidental Intentions January 8, 2013 at 1:30 pm

Have a fantastic time in the DR! I hope you enjoy every minute of it!

I haven’t really been reading your wedding posts and discovered your blog after you got engaged, so I had NO idea you had a diamond and sapphire ring! Since I’m single, I’m clearly nowhere near being engaged, but I’ve thought about engagement rings (what girl doesn’t, especially when all her friends are getting engaged?) and a ring just like yours is really high on my list of what I’d like my ring to look like. I LOVE how the wedding band looks with it as well…absolutely stunning!

34 TorontoRunner January 8, 2013 at 1:37 pm

the rings are beautiful!
and oh my gosh – what an amazing note. wow, that’s so, sosoo sweet of someone!

35 Elisabeth January 8, 2013 at 2:05 pm

That is an awesome note! Guess there are still some nice people in the world ;)

Can’t wait to read the wedding/honeymoon recaps!

36 Angela January 8, 2013 at 2:18 pm

Have a blast! Take lots of pictures! And enjoy every second with your new husband!

37 Rebecca@Runningfoodbaby January 8, 2013 at 3:01 pm

ENJOY YOUR HONEYMOON!!!

38 Katie @ Talk Less, Say More January 8, 2013 at 3:19 pm

Have a fabulous honeymoon!! :)

P.S. LOVE your rings!

39 Caitlin January 8, 2013 at 3:47 pm

Your ring is just gorgeous. That note – SOOO sweet! Like that cake, ha, #punny. But seriously it looks amazing. Have a blast!!

40 Charlie (therunnerbeans) January 8, 2013 at 4:06 pm

What a cute person that wrote the note! Hope you have a brilliant time!

41 Courtney January 8, 2013 at 4:42 pm

So damn happy for you! I’ve been following your blog for 3 years now, and this is seriously that Happily Ever After, you deserve it girl. :)

42 Anne January 8, 2013 at 6:30 pm

SO fun!! Looks like y’all had a beautiful day and are looking to have an even more amazing honeymoon! All the photos I’ve taken a peek at are beautiful. Congrats :)

43 Kelly @ Running to Healthy January 8, 2013 at 7:12 pm

That red velvet cake looks insane!!! So many layers–yum!!

44 Brynn January 8, 2013 at 8:04 pm

Congratulations Meghann and Derek!!!! Your wedding looked beautiful and it sounds like it was a blast. Loved the bridesmaids dresses/outfits!

45 Amanda January 8, 2013 at 9:00 pm

Congratulations on your wedding! I was in the Atlanta airport yesterday.:) Also, I love your ring. I also have a diamond and sapphire wedding ring.

46 Karen January 8, 2013 at 9:00 pm

How awesome that you take the time to let us know how you are doing… Very classy…. Congratulations and have a BLAST on your honeymoon!!

47 Ashley@cupcakesncrunches January 8, 2013 at 9:58 pm

I hope you have a wonderful honeymoon! You were a beautiful bride – Can’t wait to read about your special day!

48 Laura January 8, 2013 at 10:48 pm

Congratulations!!!! And that red velvet cake looks AMAZING! It’s my favorite…

49 Melissa January 9, 2013 at 12:31 am

I love those magnets! And I can’t wait for the full recap. Have a wonderful honeymoon!

50 Lydia January 9, 2013 at 1:37 am

So happy for you! Congratulations! Enjoy every second of your honeymoon!

51 Maureen January 9, 2013 at 10:10 am

What a sweet note! Things like this remind me that decent people still exist!

52 Jayson Lecuyer January 10, 2013 at 9:24 am

Congratulations on your marriage!!! Very exciting news. Enjoy your honeymoon

Cheers!

J

53 Sarah January 10, 2013 at 9:26 pm

My husband and I went to DRon our honeymoon in June! BEST WEEK EVER! Enjoy!