more ยป" />

Wedding: Bridesmaid Gifts

by Meghann on January 7, 2013

The bridesmaids’ gifts were a fun challenge for me. I knew I wanted to do some sort of jewelry for the girls to wear the day of the wedding, but I also knew I wanted that jewelry to be personal and remain a token of our friendship long after the wedding was over.

Jasmine had contacted me months ago about doing a review on the blog for her line of stamped jewelry. She sent me a “Running is my Superpower” necklace for the blog and I loved it. Realizing she could easily personalize the necklaces, I asked her if she would be interested in creating some necklaces for my bridesmaid gifts (I would pay the full amount for all the necklaces, of course). She had been toying with the idea of opening the business up to bridesmaid jewelry and told me she was up for the challenge.

After a bit of brainstorming with Jasmine, we came up with an idea that I fell in love with. All of the necklaces would be unique and personalized for each bridesmaid, with the constant snowflake charm being the one one piece that connects them all together.

I can’t tell you how excited I was when she started sending mark-ups of the necklaces. I immediately wanted to forward the mark ups to the girls and share the beautiful work Jasmine was doing. When they arrived, it was complete torture not to call them all immediately and fill them in – how do people keep secrets from their best friends? I am NOT a good secret keeper.

Somehow I made it to the night of the rehearsal dinner without blabbing and it was worth keeping my mouth shut to see their faces when they opened the gifts. Handing out the gifts was my favorite part of the evening. :)

Each girl’s necklace was stamped with a personal message that holds a special meaning to our friendship.

My sister’s read, ” barbie dolls & made up, tea parties, dress up.”

It’s a quote from “My Sister” by Reba McEntire. It’s a song that meant a lot to us when we were in college and I still think of my sister every time it comes on my iPod or the radio.

Here’s the full chorus:

I was thinking just today

About how we used to play

Barbie dolls and makeup

Tea parties, dress up

I remember how we’d fight

We made up and laughed all night

Wish we were kids again

My sister, my friend

We tried to play the song while we were getting ready, but had to stop in fear that we would both start crying and ruin our make-up.

My sister-in-law Ashley’s read “sisters.”

Ashley started dating my brother while I was up at FSU. It was after I graduated and moved back to Orlando that I really got to know Ashley. By then my parents had already accepted her as one of their own and she was considered a member of the family well before my brother proposed in 2010. Ashley is more than my sister-in-law, she’s my sister (no in-law required!) and one of my best friends.

Ashley’s said “the best friendships start on a run”

I met Ashley in February of 2010 at the Gridiron Classic 4 Mile race in Central Park. I was meeting a few other bloggers at the starting line and Ashley was the first one to introduce herself. She was so kind and so full of life! We instantly connected – chatting as if we had known each other for years – and ended up running the entire race together (with Dori!!). That 4 mile run grew to a friendship that means the world to me.

Emily’s read “Dr. HannEm 4Life”

Emily was the one who introduced Derek and I when we were in college. For a long time we were like the three musketeers – it was us against the Tallahassee bar scene, taking it down one shot at a time. One night out we started having fun with nicknames and decided to go by “Dr. HannEm” (Dr = Derek Russell, Hann = MegHANN, and Em = Emily – get it?). It was an inside joke that stuck and I knew she would appreciate the throwback.

We also had a necklace made for our flower girl Marley.

it reads “Uncle Bubba’s Girl”

Marley calls Derek “Uncle Bubba.” Apparently she’s going through a phase where she’s really into necklaces, so it was a big hit. :)

When I purchased the necklaces, Jasmine was kind enough to add in a “Mrs. Russell” necklace as a gift.

I haven’t taken it off since I put it on Sunday morning. I love it!

I’m still waiting on group photos from the photographer, but here’s a shot of Ashley walking down the aisle wearing her necklace. (photo courtesy of Ashley)

431266_3795335336708_1901657683_n.jpg

Love. Love. Love.

(p.s. how BEAUTIFUL does she look?!?! I couldn’t stop telling me girls how gorgeous they were all night!)

Again, Jasmine did beautiful work and I couldn’t be happier with the way they came out! She was kind enough to offer a discount for Meals and Miles readers. For 20% on any bama + ry jewelry enter MEGHANN12 at check out! :)

Along with the necklaces, I wanted to get comfy robes the girls could wear while we were getting ready for the wedding. After doing a little digging on Etsy I found Embroidery by Melissa and ordered personalized cotton waffle robes for all my girls

Since we got ready at my parents’ house the robes were so easy and so nice to just lounge around in. I ordered navy for the bridesmaids and a white “bride” robe for me.

Turns out that none of the girls had robes at home so it was something they all needed – big win!

What did you do for gifts for your bridesmaids? Or what have you received in the past?

1 Karen January 7, 2013 at 1:52 pm

I got a robe from one wedding I was in and it is something I use all the time! Love the necklaces too! It is so sweet that they are personalized :)

2 Elisabeth January 7, 2013 at 1:55 pm

I love both gifts! I’m not married, but I’ve been a bridesmaid in a fe weddings – cutest gifts I’ve seen :)

3 Carly D. @ CarlyBananas January 7, 2013 at 1:58 pm

Those are such thoughtful gifts, Meghann!

4 Crissy M January 7, 2013 at 2:08 pm

Meghann you did such an incredible and thoughtful job with these gifts! Beautiful and a forever kind of treasure. Congratulations on your marriage. The pics that are posted from your friends make it look like it was absolutely amazing; I can’t believe you did all that yourself! (With friends and family too) congrats again and have an incredible honeymoon getaway.

5 Maureen January 7, 2013 at 2:20 pm

I LOVE these necklaces! What a great, thoughtful gift that they can use for a lifetime.

6 Samantha Angela January 7, 2013 at 2:52 pm

Those necklaces are great! And so special and thoughtful.

I’m sure all the bridesmaids appreciated them

7 Caitlin @ This Bride's Joyride January 7, 2013 at 3:04 pm

Wow, those necklaces are gorgeous, thoughtful and totally went with the theme of the wedding! I absolutely love them!

I did necklaces for my bridesmaids too. I actually picked unique charms for each girl from dogeared.com and they were a hit! It was crazy how I was able to find some unique charms that really meant something to each girl. I’ve recently gotten into Alex & Ani bracelets and think those would make great bridesmaid gifts too!

8 Dori January 7, 2013 at 3:20 pm

I love the robes, that’s a really great gift idea for while you were all getting ready! Very cute. The personalized necklaces are really sweet. I’ve only been a bridesmaid once and she got us pearl earrings from Tiffany’s. They’re the nicest earrings I own. I wear them almost every day and I plan to wear them at my wedding day in June. One of the best gifts I have ever gotten!

9 Kimberly January 7, 2013 at 3:33 pm

Awesome ideas for your girls!

10 Kimberly January 7, 2013 at 3:34 pm

Dying to hear how you decided on the ‘booze’ for your wedding and if it was enough/not enough. We are doing our own bar for our May wedding and this one stumps me…. Thanks!

11 Katie @ Peace Love & Oats January 7, 2013 at 3:55 pm

I have a robe that’s the same style and I LOVE it! it’s not too heavy, just perfect! And that’s so sweet that you made the necklaces so personal, great gift!

12 Caitlin January 7, 2013 at 4:10 pm

LOVE the r0bes and also the casual look of the bridesmaids’ ensembles. you have great taste!

13 Katie @ Talk Less, Say More January 7, 2013 at 4:30 pm

LOVE those necklaces and I love how you personalized each one – what a great idea!

14 Landi January 7, 2013 at 5:57 pm

I love her jewelry! I got one of her running necklaces for Christmas. It is beautiful work. Congrats! You are a beautiful bride.

15 Kristen @ notsodomesticated January 7, 2013 at 6:13 pm

LOVE the gifts. Absolutely adorable and so special. Great idea!

16 Angela January 7, 2013 at 6:17 pm

Such cute necklaces!! For my bridesmaids I gave them earrings, a flower for their hair, and a little clutch. I wish I would have done something a little more personal!

17 Joanne M. January 7, 2013 at 6:35 pm

The necklaces are gorgeous! What a great choice for a gift to your best friends:-) Congratulations on your wedding!

18 Hillary January 7, 2013 at 7:37 pm

Love these, especially the robes.

My best friend’s husband works for Tiffany, so she got us all Tiffany silver and pearl necklaces for our bridesmaid gifts. Not too shabby! ; )

19 carol January 7, 2013 at 7:54 pm

Thoughtful gifts for your girls. Truly beautiful.

20 Caroline January 7, 2013 at 8:17 pm

oooh-great gift choices! Those necklaces turned out beautifully, and I love that you put something personal into each one!

21 Victoria @ Reluctantly Skinny January 7, 2013 at 8:18 pm

I was just talking to my mom about gifts for my bridesmaids, and we agreed that we wanted to do some sort of jewelry that was personalized but had some consistency. These are really adorable – definitely going to check out her site now!
Congrats on your marriage, too =)

22 Debbie B. January 8, 2013 at 7:38 am

I love the necklaces and the robes are one of the best ideas I have ever heard about for bridesmaids. You planned such a beautiful, thoughtful wedding. I am loving reading about the details and all the recaps.

23 Emily N January 8, 2013 at 11:21 am

the necklaces and robes are perfect gifts!

24 Allison @ Life's a Bowl January 9, 2013 at 4:14 pm

Those necklaces are beautiful! For my bridesmaids I gave them each a basket full of things that had to do with my wedding day [ex: flowers because it was at a botanical garden], a pair of handmade earrings [to wear in the wedding], and a robe [by Melissa!] with their names on them :) And they all still wear/ love their robes!

25 Annette @FitnessPerks January 22, 2013 at 5:40 pm

Love those gifts–they’re so practical. And the necklaces are gorgeous.