more ยป" />

Holiday Road

by Meghann on December 28, 2012

Good Morning!

And Happy Friday! Wait, it is Friday right? ๐Ÿ˜‰ The week of Christmas always throws my schedule off. Derek’s office is closed until 2013, so he’s been home with Maddie and I this week. I was able to cut back on projects in preparation for the wedding next week, so I’ve also been enjoying some extra free time lately. It’s actually been really nice to have some time to relax before the wedding (which is one of the big reasons we picked January 5th as our wedding date in the first place ๐Ÿ˜‰ ).

After yesterday’s 2-person CrossFit class, we doubled in size for today’s class with a total of 4. It seems like everyone is enjoying some extra time off this week too because the class after ours had 12. People who usually take the earlier classes have off this week and were sleeping in for the later classes. Smart move.

Today’s WOD was running heavy.

20121228_075642.jpg

The coach made a comment how she usually keeps the holiday classes more cardio heavy than lifting because that’s what folks want this time of year. With the inconsistent schedules, relaxed eating, and just plain wanting to enjoy the holidays, people really just want to get in for a good sweat and leave. This makes total sense, especially with the inconsistent schedules.

I liked today’s WOD, but it was definitely a long one. We had 5 rounds of:

• 800 m run
  • 30 swings
  • 30 sit-ups

It was the 800 m runs that made it so long. Usually I’m a big fan of multiple 400s in a WOD, but for some reason the 800s just seemed too much. I also got caught picking up the 25lb weight for the swings. My coach promptly picked it up and switched it for the 30lb, then gave me a speech on how I should know better. ha! I usually stick with the 25lb, but she was right, I should have grabbed the 30lb. I’d actually never tried with the 30lb before, always going for the 25 out of habit, but I was able to go through all 5 rounds with the 30. It hurt like hell, but in a good way, not in a oh-my-god-I-can’t-do-this type of way.

There was a 45 minute cut-off, and I’ll admit after the first round I was afraid I wasn’t going to make it. When I got to to the 5th, I gave it all I had and finished with plenty of time to spare.

20121228_075627.jpg

Done!

Breakfast

The last of the Christmas morning fruit salad

left over Christmas ham

Two eggs

p.s. I break my yolks on purpose. I’m not the biggest fan of runny yolks and hate dirtying a bowl to scramble them, so I do the lazy girl thing and drop two eggs in the frying pan and break the yolks with the spatula when I flip them. They’re not the prettiest eggs, but the still taste pretty darn good to me.

We had to break out Maddie’s sweater last night.

She is not a fan of the cold weather; a true Florida girl through and through.

Have a great Friday, everyone!

1 Krissy @ Shiawase Life December 28, 2012 at 10:15 am

Those fruits look aaaaammmmazing!

Have a great Friday, Meghann!!
Krissy @ Shiawase Life recently posted..#runDisney Racecation Time = imminent.

2 Becky @ Olives n Wine December 28, 2012 at 10:22 am

That is a crazy long WOD! I wish I lived in a warmer climate so we could run at CrossFit in the winter… instead we’re stuck with 1000m rows and millions of burpees :/
Becky @ Olives n Wine recently posted..{mostly} Picturesque Utah Update

3 Meghann December 28, 2012 at 11:06 am

Ugh – I hate the rowing machine. Totally agree that running wins 10x over. ๐Ÿ™‚

4 Meghan @ After the Ivy League December 28, 2012 at 10:27 am

Maddie’s little sweater is so adorable! And phew, looks like a great WOD. The smaller class sizes must be kind of nice!
Meghan @ After the Ivy League recently posted..I Got Spoiled

5 Katie @ Peace Love & Oats December 28, 2012 at 10:39 am

whew that is a long WOD! Good job getting out there though. I prefer getting up early and getting my workout in first thing, otherwise it might not happen! Like yesterday… haha
Katie @ Peace Love & Oats recently posted..2012 Races Recap

6 joelle (on a pink typewriter) December 28, 2012 at 10:42 am

Haha Maddie’s sweater is cute.

LOVE fruit salad. I always horde it when I go to catered meetings or parties.
joelle (on a pink typewriter) recently posted..Cinnamon Crumble Coffee Cake

7 joelle (on a pink typewriter) December 28, 2012 at 10:45 am

hoard^ (I hate spelling typos!)
joelle (on a pink typewriter) recently posted..Cinnamon Crumble Coffee Cake

8 Caitlin @ This Bride's Joyride December 28, 2012 at 10:56 am

Ahhh, about a week until your wedding, so exciting! Enjoy the time leading up to it, I swear the few days before are just as special (even if hectic) ๐Ÿ™‚
Caitlin @ This Bride’s Joyride recently posted..The Holidays as Mr. & Mrs.

9 Karen @ Run Shop Travel December 28, 2012 at 11:24 am

Haha too funny about the egg thing – I totally understand not wanting to dirty another dish – I am the same way….but I happen to love runny egg yolks! ๐Ÿ™‚
Karen @ Run Shop Travel recently posted..2012 Recap

10 laura December 28, 2012 at 11:41 am

no need to defend your eggs. i do the same exact thing!

11 Hayley @ Running on Pumpkin December 28, 2012 at 12:46 pm

I do the same thing with my eggs sometimes too – I hate dirtying a bowl just to mix the white and yolk! Maddie looks adorable in her sweater.

12 TorontoRunner December 28, 2012 at 1:46 pm

That’s one healthy and good looking breakfast!! Tryna get things back on track after the holiday free-for-all. Have a great Friday!!
TorontoRunner recently posted..Raaaandom FACTS!

13 Karen @ Runner Girl Eats December 28, 2012 at 2:16 pm

Looks like a good WOD! I think the smaller classes would be a nice perk. I have def made lazy girl eggs before too ๐Ÿ˜‰
Karen @ Runner Girl Eats recently posted..Running with my new best friend

14 Meghan @Health Continuum December 28, 2012 at 5:43 pm

I totally agree with you on the eggs. My dog lexie has a sweater my mother gave her and she hates it. She hasn’t let me put it on her again since the first time!
Meghan @Health Continuum recently posted..Happy Place

15 Courtney @ Journey of a Dreamer December 28, 2012 at 6:17 pm

800s are super long for a WOD. I’m always dying on the first one! Way to finish strong though!
Courtney @ Journey of a Dreamer recently posted..Coffee Date

16 Katie @ Talk Less, Say More December 28, 2012 at 9:28 pm

I’ve been doing a fair amount of reading about the Paleo diet this evening so I might be extra aware and since I’m severely behind on my blog reading (oops!), are you eating Paleo (either somewhat or completely) or was this just a coincidence? It was recommended to me but I’ve been vegetarian for 10+ years with no intention of eating meat but I’ve become intrigued on the whole thing now…
Katie @ Talk Less, Say More recently posted..Fitness Friday 12/28

17 Meghann December 28, 2012 at 9:54 pm

I’m not eating paleo, but I have been eating less carbs and more meat while trying to gain a bit of muscle mass. You should talk to HealthyAshley.com She’s a vegetarian who eats a heavy paleo diet.

18 beka @ rebecca roams December 29, 2012 at 9:21 am

This is a workout made for me! Love it. And I am definitely going to do it sometime this week ๐Ÿ™‚ Thank you!
Maddie is such a doll.
beka @ rebecca roams recently posted..Nassau Wrap up (Part 4) + Going out naked

19 Sara @ fitcupcaker December 29, 2012 at 10:40 am

yUM! Your breakfast looks great. I just started crossfit and I love it
Sara @ fitcupcaker recently posted..Gluten Free and Paleo: The New Crave?