Mini Road Trip

by Meghann on December 27, 2012

Any day spent with good friends is a good day. Today was a good day.

Mary and I took a little road trip south to visit our wonderful friend Callie in Venice. After all the trips she’s made to the Tampa area this year, we figured we owed her one. πŸ˜‰

Before Mary and I left Tampa, we stopped at Jet City Espresso for our caffeine fix. I ordered the Cafe Borgia and grabbed a goat cheese and rosemary scone for the road. The scone was savory and delicious. I ate half on the drive down and saved the other half to enjoy with dinner.

201212272040.jpg 201212272040.jpg

The drive to Venice went a lot quicker than both of us were expecting. I’d say an hour and a half tops? It was really a straight shot south on 75. Once we made it to Venice, I couldn’t wait to say hi to my favorite little guy, the Mini Athlete.

201212272040.jpg 201212272040.jpg

He is as cute and adorable as ever.

There was also someone new I’d been dying to meet!

201212272040.jpg

Little Miss Athlete!

Last time I saw Callie she was 9 months pregnant and ready to pop (she officially popped 4 days later). Now the Little Miss is 4 weeks old and such a bundle of joy. She slept and cooed the entire time. I love her already.

201212272040.jpg

Look at that little sockless foot! I die! Is there anything cuter than a sleeping baby? I think not.

We dropped the Mini Athlete at his “Amma’s” house and headed downtown for lunch.

201212272041.jpg

Venice is a quiet small town that’s right on the water. It’s about as cute as small towns come.

201212272041.jpg

Right down to the little downtown delicatessen that a friend of Callie and her husband owns (they all went to high school together, pretty sure it doesn’t get more small town than that).

201212272041.jpg

The deli was hoppin’ and had a menu full of sandwiches and soups that I would have been happy ordering anything off of.

201212272041.jpg

It was a little cool outside today, perfect soup weather if you ask me.

201212272041.jpg

I ordered half of the tomato bisque, which was chunky, creamy, and exactly what I was craving

201212272042.jpg

And half of the cobb salad for a touch of greens.

201212272042.jpg

For dessert, the owner’s mother brought us some cookies to snack on. The cranberry/white chocolate was a fast favorite.

201212272042.jpg

Mary and I could have stayed in Venice for days chatting with Callie. It was so good to see her and explore her hometown. They only moved back to Venice from St. Petersburg a few months ago and we miss them like crazy up here, but we know they’re happy in Venice and we couldn’t be happier for them for that. πŸ™‚

Mary and I took a slight detour on the way home and found ourselves at the new Trader Joe’s in Sarasota.

201212272042.jpg

Yep. A Trader Joe’s. IN Florida. Woo hoo!

The Sarasota location opened a couple of months ago, but this was the first time I’ve driven through the area and had a chance to check it out. The location IS closer than any other Trader Joe’s have ever been to us, but it’s also still a good hour and a half drive from my house in north Tampa. Rumor has it they’re building a Trader Joe’s in Tampa in the next couple of years, I like that rumor – it’s one worth crossing my fingers for!

The Trader Joe’s was gorgeous. We spent a good 30 minutes roaming the aisles and picking up our TJ favorites (jerky doggie treats, two buck chuck, almond butter, pumpkin butter, etc) then headed back to Tampa.

For dinner, I made some pork ribs with barbeque sauce, roasted brussels sprouts, and had the other half of my morning scone.

Now Derek and I are watching Disney classics on ABC Family and enjoying our evening. The perfect ending to a great day filled with friends.

Good night!

1 Rebecca December 27, 2012 at 9:59 pm

Ahhh Trader Joes! Wish we had one of those in my area. I have to settle for once a year shopping when I go to California. Nice that there is one in Sarasota….might make my parents go if they go back to FL in the spring πŸ™‚
Rebecca recently posted..Sneak the veggies in Mac&Cheese

2 Hayley @ Running on Pumpkin December 27, 2012 at 10:05 pm

That scone sounds really interesting and yummy! It’s so crazy to me that people don’t have Trader Joe’s near them…I have like 3 within 15 miles of me!

3 Callie @ The Wannabe Athlete December 27, 2012 at 10:15 pm

Haha – his bedhead is out of control. We should have taken your photo with him BEFORE his nap, not after! πŸ™‚
Callie @ The Wannabe Athlete recently posted..Body After Baby (Round Two): 1 Month

4 Katie @ Peace Love & Oats December 27, 2012 at 10:18 pm

That’s great that you got to hang out with friends, and see her new baby! I finally got to meet my friend’s daughter on Christmas Eve, she’s 10 months and I hadn’t met her yet since they live in San Diego and I live in Chicago!
Katie @ Peace Love & Oats recently posted..Thursday Thoughts

5 TorontoRunner December 27, 2012 at 10:26 pm

The kiddies are so cute! I’m one of those people that will ALWAYS go crazy every time I see babies – precious!
Looks like a great day!
TorontoRunner recently posted..Raaaandom FACTS!

6 Andrea December 27, 2012 at 10:46 pm

I’m sure you avoid Gainesville, buuut, it might be closer. I heard there is a new/they’re building a new Trader Joes in g-ville!

7 Sam @ Better With Sprinkles December 27, 2012 at 10:55 pm

I’ve only been to a Trader Joe’s once, but I loved it…they need to get those up in Canada!
Sam @ Better With Sprinkles recently posted..Christmas in Pictures.

8 Sabrina December 27, 2012 at 11:01 pm

Sounds like a wonderful day! I love mini road trips, Venice (Florida and Italy), that Florida finally has a TJ’s! and how adorable the mini athletes are. I’d hit the “like” button a million times if I could.
Sabrina recently posted..This Week In Between

9 Jean December 28, 2012 at 2:40 am

It’s that kid again! AKA the cutest kid in the world! I feel like kind of a creep but those curls are the most adorable thing ever.
Jean recently posted..On Parents and Running

10 Heather December 28, 2012 at 7:24 am

Completely understand the Trader Joe’s excitement. One just opened up here in Gainesville and my life just got so much better haha. Happy they are finally making their way into Florida πŸ™‚

11 [email protected] December 28, 2012 at 7:33 am

Ohhh that salad looks good! πŸ˜€
[email protected] recently posted..Holiday Food Hangover

12 Hope @ With A Side Of Hope December 28, 2012 at 7:37 am

Sounds like a great day! πŸ™‚ That soup looks delicious!
Hope @ With A Side Of Hope recently posted..Fun Finds Friday!!…

13 abbi December 28, 2012 at 7:58 am

Any road trip is awesome with a trip to Trader Joe’s. The closest one we have is about an hour and a half away too
abbi recently posted..2012 in 2012: A Look Back

14 Molly @ RDexposed December 28, 2012 at 8:13 am

That scone looks so good! Love savory scones!
Molly @ RDexposed recently posted..Holiday Sweet Tooth Cure

15 Kathy December 28, 2012 at 9:09 am

Adorable little athletes!!! What a gorgeous day!

16 Sara @ fitcupcaker December 28, 2012 at 9:30 am

I love cobb salads, Ive had one for dinner and one for lunch that past couple of days! Soup is always good when it cold out and it looks amazing too! Yum, I think I love food tooooo much!
Sara @ fitcupcaker recently posted..Power Balls!

17 Jennifer V. December 28, 2012 at 9:33 am

Does that just about sound like a perfect day!
Jennifer V. recently posted..Friday’s Letters

18 Natalie @ Free Range Human December 28, 2012 at 9:37 am

Yay for road trips-even mini ones! Mini Athlete is too cute πŸ™‚

19 Steph @321delish December 28, 2012 at 9:45 am

So fun!! I hope you grabbed some cookie butter!! πŸ™‚
Steph @321delish recently posted..2012 Highlights

20 Amber @ Busy, Bold, Blessed December 28, 2012 at 10:02 am

Yay, I love when my fave blogs collide! And I love me some TJs. Happy Friday πŸ™‚
Amber @ Busy, Bold, Blessed recently posted..Gym Dilemma

21 Meghan @ After the Ivy League December 28, 2012 at 10:28 am

Looks like such a perfect day! That town pretty much looks like the dream small town.
Meghan @ After the Ivy League recently posted..I Got Spoiled

22 meghan December 28, 2012 at 2:53 pm

That soup looks delicious! And I made a trip to Trader Joe’s last week for the first time. I loved it! Their food tasted so delicious. I’m going to try to go again before school starts back.
meghan recently posted..New Year’s Eve fancies to New Year’s Day commitments