Christmas Eve Brunch

by Meghann on December 24, 2012

Merry Christmas Eve!

We kicked our Christmas celebrations off this morning with the Anderson Christmas Eve brunch at my Uncle Bill’s house. His Christmas snow village was clearly the star of the morning.

When I was younger my uncle would dedicate his entire dining room to his Christmas snow village. The train would circle the entire village and we would spend hours making up stories for all the villagers we spotted running Christmas errands around town.

IMG_6034.JPG IMG_6035.JPG

After my aunt passed in ’94 my uncle started cutting back on his village until one year he just stopped doing it all together. I’d say it’s been 10-15 years since we last saw any of the villagers skating on the town pond, bringing mail to the post office, or frolicking in the park.

Per his granddaughters’ request, my uncle decided it was time to dust off the ole village and set it up once again this year. It was even better than I remembered. So many details in such a tiny village. I can’t imagine how much fun it must have been to put it together again.

IMG_6041.JPG IMG_6042.JPG

The brunch was casual, relaxed, and full of family love.

IMG_6068.jpg IMG_6069.jpg

Photobombed by mom!

There were mimosas

and all the good savory stuff.

Time to eat!

Breakfast with a view.

I loaded my plate up and enjoyed a couple of cookies post-breakfast.

It wasn’t long after we finished breakfast that you could hear the little ones yelling from the other room “Presents! Time for presents!”

In my family all the under-eighteen year olds get gifts.

IMG_6132.JPG IMG_6133.JPG

The adults do a white elephant gift exchange.

We all draw a number and take turns selecting and opening gifts.

IMG_6148.JPG IMG_6144.jpg

There’s a fondue pot that’s in its fourth or fifth year of being passed around in the gift exchange. It started out as a joke, but now it’s just a family tradition.

Usually who ever re-enters it in the pot hides a gift card or cash inside. 😉

I found a toilet-shaped mug on Amazon that I knew would be perfect for the gift exchange.

My family is in the porta potty business and has a thing for collecting outhouses and toilets. I thought it was hilarious.

The best part was my Uncle Bill actually stole the gift from my Uncle Bob. Ha! I knew they’d like it.

We finished presents with my dad’s side of the family, then headed back home to give the dogs their gifts.

I’m not sure they 100% knew what was going on, but that didn’t stop them from trying to figure it all out.

Maddie got a brand new bed from her grandma and grandpa.

I think she liked it. :)

We’re resting up before Christmas Eve Part II with my mom’s side of the family. There’s a turkey roasting in the oven, potatoes cooking on the stovetop, and more cookies than we know what to do with! Man, I love Christmas!

1 TorontoRunner December 24, 2012 at 4:02 pm

wow, that Christmas snow village is IMPRESSIVE!!
TorontoRunner recently posted..HEY, You!!! – yeah, YOU..

2 Rebecca December 24, 2012 at 4:10 pm

We do the same thing with a ‘silly gift’ exchange in my family. Our tradition (7 years and going) is a set of snowman plates :-)
Rebecca recently posted..Another Snow Day and New Haircut

3 Laura December 24, 2012 at 4:15 pm

Merry Christmas! Enjoy the holiday and all the blessings of the season :)
Laura recently posted..Merry Christmas Eve

4 Dori December 24, 2012 at 4:24 pm

I have that toilet mug!!!
Dori recently posted..pvBody: Workout Clothes Every Month + 20% Off

5 Grace @ Grace Dishes December 24, 2012 at 5:58 pm

Merry Christmas! I love that last photo of you and Maddie.

Family traditions are so awesome to have and I enjoyed reading yours. I love the fondue pot being passed around yearly haha :) It reminds me of the fondue pot I bought last year still in my pantry UNUSED…ugh

Have a wonderful rest of the year.

6 Courtney December 24, 2012 at 6:59 pm

The pictures of you and Maddie are SO adorable! And have you told us before where you got that dress? It looks gorgeous on you!!

7 MealsAndMiles December 24, 2012 at 10:11 pm

Thank you! I got the dress at Target over the summer

8 Kim December 24, 2012 at 7:26 pm

Looks like fun! What did you and Derek get from the gift exchange?

9 MealsAndMiles December 24, 2012 at 10:10 pm

We got a donut baking set and gift card for Bed Bath & Beyond :)

10 Meghan @Health Continuum December 24, 2012 at 7:39 pm

The Christmas Village and the brunch looks amazing! Merry Christmas!
Meghan @Health Continuum recently posted..Christmas Came Early

11 Jean December 24, 2012 at 8:49 pm

I used to be obsessed with those Christmas village things! I got one each year as a Christmas present but unfortunately only got 3 or 4 before I decided I wasn’t really into them anymore.
Jean recently posted..Pre-Christmas Post-Christmas Depression

12 Sam @ Better With Sprinkles December 24, 2012 at 11:17 pm

That’s an awesome Christmas village! My dad has one too, but it’s not nearly that big.
Sam @ Better With Sprinkles recently posted..Happy Christmas Eve!

13 Reenie December 25, 2012 at 1:57 am

Love the photo of you and Maddy.. Merry Christmas

14 Grazia December 25, 2012 at 5:42 am

Maddie is smiling!!! :-)

15 Luna665 December 25, 2012 at 5:58 am

That last picture of Maddie is ADORABLE!!!!!!! I want to put it as my desktop background because it puts a huge smile on my face !!! (don’t worry I won’t).
And the snow village is incredible too. I love it!I’ve always desired to have *one* of these little snow covered, merry houses, they’re so cute.
You and Derek looks very happy and beautiful too! Merry Christmas to you and your family!

16 cath@1970kikiproject December 25, 2012 at 6:37 am

the village scene is amazing!!
what a fun family time!
enjoy the rest of your celebrations – merry christmas!

17 Carrie @ Fitness and Frozen Grapes December 25, 2012 at 7:57 am

Merry Christmas, Meghann! We’re doing our family Yankee swap this afternoon, which is always good for lots of laughs. Enjoy the holiday!
Carrie @ Fitness and Frozen Grapes recently posted..Merry Christmas Eve

18 Katie @ Talk Less, Say More December 25, 2012 at 12:12 pm

Merry Christmas to you guys!! My grandma used to have TONS of the village houses. We now keep a few up for her year round to enjoy but I remember as a kid, she used to buy the ones she wanted and then give them to someone to give her for Christmas.
Katie @ Talk Less, Say More recently posted..Merry Christmas!

19 erica December 26, 2012 at 1:25 pm

aw! merry belated christmas! i love that last pic of you and maddie. she looks so happy!
erica recently posted..merry christmas!