The Day Before The Day Before Christmas

by Meghann on December 23, 2012

And on the day before the day before Christmas, we baked.

We baked. A lot. My parents’ kitchen became a temporary cookie factory this afternoon/ evening.

On the menu we had:

Reeses Peanut Butter Blossoms

Nestle Tollhouse Chocolate Chip Cookies (with Christmas sprinkles!)

Sugar Cookies

IMG_5940.JPG IMG_5941.jpg

IMG_5987.jpg IMG_5988.JPG

and Gingerbread Cookies.

It’s safe to say we are officially cookie’d out. I had a sample of each cookie and have definitely reached my sugar quota for the day. All of the recipes (minus the chocolate chips) were from the Betty Crocker cookbook. For the Reeses Peanut Butter Blossom we just traded out the usual Hershey Kiss with a mini Reeses cup (best idea ever!).

Tomorrow we’ll package the cookies up and bring some to my Uncle’s Christmas eve brunch, serve some at my parents’ Christmas eve dinner, and Kelly and I plan to bring them to our in-laws on Christmas Day. Good thing we made a lot of cookies!

The local JcPenny’s is going out of business, therefore everything is currently marked super on sale. Derek and I decided to check out the sales yesterday and were pleasantly surprised when we were able to walk away with a huge bag of clothes for under $50. Most of the inventory had been picked through, but they still had a good amount of workout clothes left. I found several new tops, capris, and shorts for bargain prices (it’s hard to beat $3 running shorts!). I took a new long sleeve tech tee and capris for a run this morning.

meghannandersonrun.jpg

(p.s. I know I owe you a review on the new Brooks PureConnect IIs. I’ll have it soon.)

Loved the crazy capris. I’m usually a boring black pants girl, but it’s fun to mix it up every once in a while (especially when you can find a matching top for a steal of a price ;)). Plus the outfit matched my shoes. I mean, that’s really the main goal when getting dressed, right?

There was frost on the ground when I left for my run, I think that’s our first frost of the season. I ran 5 miles at a sub-9:00 min/mi pace and felt good. I’m a little bummed the cold weather is on it’s way out today, but I did take full advantage of it while it was here. Like not leaving for my run until almost 8:00 today! That’s practically sleeping in!

Dad had breakfast hot and ready to eat when I returned.

Pan-fried bread, eggs with cheese, and half an apple. Thanks, Dad!

Lunch featured a new-to-me find: Boars Head horseradish cheddar cheese. My dad recommended I try it with roast beef.

The cheese definitely had a kick to it, wow. On it’s own, the cheese was too much, but it was perfect with the roast beef. I need to remember it next time I get a Publix sub.

Multiple cookies and dough were consumed through the afternoon and we all came together for a family dinner.

My dad made a kick-ass spanish pork roast (his specialty) with black beans and rice, green beans, and bread.

Nothing beats a good meal, a good glass of wine, and a table of family members who remain at the table chatting long after the food has been cleared.

Tomorrow’s Christmas Eve! Are you ready for it?! 🙂

Good night!

1 Katie @ Talk Less, Say More December 23, 2012 at 10:08 pm

I’ve been doing a lot of baking and did a bit more today. I’ve also reached my sugar quota I think and already craving LOTS of veggies!
Katie @ Talk Less, Say More recently posted..Christmas Survey!

2 Jean December 23, 2012 at 10:22 pm

Mentally, I’m psyched for Christmas Eve. Shopping-wise, however, totally not.

3 Sam @ Better With Sprinkles December 23, 2012 at 10:23 pm

I definitely hit my sugar quota for the day too…tis the season, I suppose!
Sam @ Better With Sprinkles recently posted..At Least I Have Cookies.

4 Hayley @ Running on Pumpkin December 23, 2012 at 11:08 pm

Peanut butter blossoms are one of my favorites. Those are such fun running capris – love them!
Hayley @ Running on Pumpkin recently posted..Christmas Tea and Bar Crawl

5 Katie Heddleston December 23, 2012 at 11:12 pm

The Reese cookies looks like they weren’t too melty – good job!!
Katie Heddleston recently posted..Commitment Day Giveaway Winners!!

6 [email protected] December 23, 2012 at 11:28 pm

Looks a lot like my kitchen today! 🙂
[email protected] recently posted..Christmas Eve…Eve

7 Stephanie @ Steph's Miles December 24, 2012 at 12:20 am

Love the pants! I’ve seen those advertised, but I think its hard to go for bold pants too! I tried the horseradish cheese accidentally on a turkey sandwich last week. I’m not the biggest fan.
Stephanie @ Steph’s Miles recently posted..Christmas Survey and Christmas Traditions

8 abbi December 24, 2012 at 7:44 am

It was a cookie factory at our house yesterday as well! That’s all I ate all day and then then tried to run. It was a bit miserable! I didn’t make PB Blossoms though and now I’m craving those!
abbi recently posted..2012 in 2012: A Look Back

9 Molly @ RDexposed December 24, 2012 at 8:19 am

Those prices are ridic!
How “cold” is your cold weather? I’ve been running in the 20*s and it’s been fabulous!
Molly @ RDexposed recently posted..Paging Christmas Eve

10 Sara @ fitcupcaker December 24, 2012 at 8:22 am

I love making cookies, yum!! Those all look so good! Spanish Pork roast, wow, yum.
Sara @ fitcupcaker recently posted..Christmas With The Moon’s

11 Carrie @ Fitness and Frozen Grapes December 24, 2012 at 8:27 am

We did a ton of baking yesterday, too, and we still have more cookies to do today! It’s never ending! Merry Christmas Eve!
Carrie @ Fitness and Frozen Grapes recently posted..My Christmas Survey

12 [email protected] December 24, 2012 at 8:55 am

I LOVE THOSE CAPRIS!! would buy them from you!!
merry christmas!! looks like some wonderful family time awaits!

13 Meghan @ After the Ivy League December 24, 2012 at 9:19 am

Cute new workout clothes! I’m hoping to take advantage of some sales when Christmas is over. Lots of cookie baking going on! Same for my family, although yesterday was a making the dough only day (they all need to chill, the longer the better). Today is baking day! Can’t wait, I love Christmas cookies!
Meghan @ After the Ivy League recently posted..Merry Christmas

14 Kathy December 24, 2012 at 10:23 am

OK..My dad rocks when it comes to dad’s but YOUR dad is giving him a run for his money!!! ha! Your dad seems amazing…LOVE OUR AMAZING Father’s!! Great role models are some times hard to find these days. 😉

Your baking and bargain shopping makes it all just perfect! I hope to find some after Christmas sales in the workout clothing department too.

15 Karen @ Runner Girl Eats December 24, 2012 at 1:50 pm

Love the pants! Super fun. I also am a big fan of the horseradish cheddar. It is so good on a good panini. Merry Christmas!
Karen @ Runner Girl Eats recently posted..A run and a selfish Christmas gift

16 Terry Morrow December 24, 2012 at 2:29 pm

Cool people (like my 17 yr. old daughter call Publix Sub PubSubs. Just thought you should know.