Wedding: Transportation

by Meghann on December 19, 2012

We’ve booked the shuttle for the wedding! Woo hoo!

Really I should say Derek booked the shuttle because this was 100% his job and I love him for making it happen. 🙂

Not only will the shuttle be in charge of taking of my bridesmaids and I to the wedding venue (we’re doing photos before hand, so we’re arriving about two hours before the guests will), but the shuttle will also be transporting guests from the hotel to the venue, then from the venue back to the hotel when the night starts to come to an end.

My sister had a shuttle for guests at her wedding in June and it worked out perfectly. Though a lot of our guests are local, we have quite a bit coming in from out of town as well and I don’t want them worrying about having a good time then driving back to the hotel afterwards. This way there’s a built in designated driver on hand.

Since Derek and I are staying at the hotel for our wedding night, we may just ride back to the hotel with the guests. Makes it easy, right?

The shuttle is booked for three hours before the wedding and one hour after just in case there are some late night partiers. My dad has also requested the last stop of the night be back to his house. He said that if he’s paying for it, he might as well have a ride home too. True enough.

Did you have a shuttle for your wedding?

1 Chelsea December 19, 2012 at 1:15 pm

We did have a shuttle, and it worked pretty nicely. We intended on riding back with everyone like you and Derek are, but what we hadn’t taken in to consideration was my husband had driven there, so his car was at our venue. A (sober) friend drove us and a couple of other people in his car instead.

2 Kristy @ Kristy's Health Revolution December 19, 2012 at 1:41 pm

When I started thinking about transportation, my head started to spin, so I instead found a venue at a hotel that I loved, and we’re doing everything there — ceremony, reception, and everyone is staying there! Nobody has to drive! Woo hoo!
Kristy @ Kristy’s Health Revolution recently posted..Christmas is in the Air!

3 Dori December 19, 2012 at 2:21 pm

We’re planning to have a shuttle to and from the official hotel for our out of town guests, and another from the wedding to the train station for local New Yorkers. That one will be coordinated with the train schedule.
Dori recently posted..pvBody: Workout Clothes Every Month + 20% Off

4 Cher @ Weddicted December 19, 2012 at 3:44 pm

We originally planned to have one, but then we realised that not enough people would use it. Instead, we made sure that we had rides home secured for our wedding party, and everyone else fended for themselves. Whenever my husband and I go to a wedding we stay over/take a taxi/find a ride home via generous siblings or parents. Most people are smart about it.
That being said! My best friend had a shuttle home from her wedding, and it was great!
Cher @ Weddicted recently posted..Bridesmaid gifts: Kate Spade spotlight

5 Katie @ Peace Love and Oats December 19, 2012 at 4:31 pm

Hahaha I love that your dad requested a ride home. My friend did the same thing for her wedding in Kansas City and it worked out really well.
Katie @ Peace Love and Oats recently posted..WIAW–Chef Earl’s Style

6 Sarah December 19, 2012 at 7:30 pm

I did NOT want a shuttle for our wedding. The guests drank enough as it was! I didn’t want to encourage over-consumption. It gets expensive, not to mention rowdy!

On the other hand, if I were going to a wedding with a shuttle, I’d really enjoy it 🙂

7 kirsten December 19, 2012 at 9:09 pm

I had one but I under estimated the # of people who would be taking it. We ended up with some guest waiting 45 minutes for the shuttle :/ I felt really bad about that. Now I tell everyone just over estimate the # of people that will use it just in case.

8 Amber @ Busy, Bold, Blessed December 20, 2012 at 7:52 am

I agree! We went to a wedding and the shuttle was a 15 person van… for 100 people! It was a bit of a distaster.
Amber @ Busy, Bold, Blessed recently posted..Gym Time!

9 Meghann December 20, 2012 at 9:55 am

That’s why we’re over estimating. We made sure to get a bus and not a van just in case we had some surprises. 🙂

10 Daphne May 2, 2013 at 6:58 pm

Hey meghann!
I am getting married at birdsong barn as well and I was wondering which hotel and shuttle you got for your wedding as I am going to be doing this as well!! Thank you!