Santa’s Twilight 5k Run

by Meghann on December 16, 2012

Ho. Ho. Ho. Merry Christmas from Santa’s Twilight 5k Run on Honeymoon Island!

PC155404.JPG

I try to do at least one holiday-themed 5k a year, so when Mary forwarded the link to the inaugural Santa’s Twilight Run I immediately signed up. It was a small race run by a local company with the promise of a finisher’s medal, cute shirt, and exotic location (island = exotic, right?). Throw in a stellar price and a group of good friends to run with and I was sold. :)

Bonus points for an excuse to wear my Target holiday socks again in a race.

Santa5k.jpg

(The shoes are the new Brooks PureConnects 2. I’ll have a review up soon!)

I met the gang (Bill, Stephanie, Mary, and Marcus) at a central location, then rode with them to Honeymoon Island for the race. We left with PLENTY of time to spare before the start (about two hours worth) and arrived just in time to see the last glimmer of the sun setting in the far distance.

PC155395.JPG

So peaceful.

Turns out we didn’t need that much time. There were no problems with traffic, parking was a breeze, and packet pick-up took all of 5 minutes. Still, it’s always better to be super early than super late.

PC155391.JPG

LOVED the Santa bibs! This might be my favorite bib of all time.

PC155392.JPG

The shirts were plain ole cotton, which I expected from the low registration fee. Cute graphic though.

PC155390.jpg

Do you like our headbands? Stephanie found them at the dollar store – I thought they were adorable.

PC155399.jpg

It was a little chilly waiting outside for the race to start. The race takes place on Honeymoon Island, which is a gorgeous state park. Being so close to the water, with no buildings to block the wind, made for a little bit of a chill in the air. Nothing worth bundling up for, but enough to warrant waiting out the hour+ we had until the start in the heated car. We killed an hour listening to music and playing “DrawSomething” on my phone (we had fun passing the phone around and all trying to draw “fart” for the game against my brother).

PC155400.JPG

Since there was such a small field (we guessed around 300 runners based on Bill’s last minute bib number), we joked that Mary could easily win the race. Mary is crazy fast and this would not have been the first race she’s taken first place home at. Mary considered it, then said she would just run it for fun. We all made a semi-pact to run the race together and not turn competitive about it (ha! foreshadowing).

PC155411.JPG

We left the car and walked over to the start about 10 minutes before go time. They were handing out glow-in-the dark necklaces that would quite literally become our guiding lights during the race.

PC155415.JPG

PC155418.JPG PC155419.JPG

Steph, ” Look! A Christmas tree!”

Mary and Meghann, “Where?!” (looking around for a real Christmas tree)

Steph, ” The guy with the star on his head.”

PC155425.jpg

Ha! Love it! The tree ended up winning the costume contest. The lights lit up and everything.

PC155424.jpg

At 7:00pm the race kicked off with a bit of an anti-climatic start. We were all joking about on thing or another and – bam! – all of a sudden everyone was running. Time to start!

PC155427.JPG

The Twilight 5K course is a cool concept. The race is at night on an empty island with very limited lighting. As soon as we turned the first corner, our surroundings went pitch black. I could no longer see my fellow runners around me, all I saw were a couple of hundred glow-in-the dark necklaces heading in what I was only assuming was the right direction.

The course was marked with hundreds and hundreds of luminaries that twisted and curved around Honeymoon Island.

PC155420.JPG

Don’t worry, the luminaries were safe – no real fires were used in the making of this race course, only glow sticks.

PC155422.JPG

It took a while for my eyes to adjust the darkness. I’m pretty sure the blind leading were the blind out there. I followed the moving glow necklaces and just assumed they knew were they were going. I was surrounded by a big group of necklaces the first half mile, but the deeper we got into the race, the more it thinned out.

The first half a mile of the race we stuck together as a group. Then Bill and Marcus took off and I realized pretty quickly I couldn’t keep up with their speedier pace. Mary followed them, leaving Stephanie and I as a running duo. We ran together until the halfway point, then I started to slow down and fall farther behind.

PC155428.JPG

I am not in running shape at all. 10 months ago I ran a half marathon at an 8:00 min/mi pace, tonight I couldn’t hold that for three miles. Ha! I could give you a million excuses, but what it came down to is that I simply can’t run a fast race at this point and time. I’m 100% fine with that. If I were training, that would be a different story, but for right now it is was it is.

In the final mile, I stopped and walked for a bit, then attempted to pick up the pace. It was so dark out that I could barely make out the volunteers directing runners. There were some confusing twists and turns towards the end that really threw me off, I second guessed myself at one turn, then saw a glowing necklace in the distance and knew I was in the right spot.

I made the final turn towards the finish line and sprinted to the end.

PC155405.JPG

Final time: 26:39

Oddly enough, a good enough time to land me the second place spot in my age group ( out of 10).

PC155440.JPG

The beauty of small races, you’re almost guaranteed to place. Woo hoo! Not my speediest run ever, but still monumental with that shiny second place prize in my collection. :)

Oh, and remember when Mary was saying how she was just doing this race for run? Umm.. yeah. She accidentally won the whole thing and took first female overall. That girl is fast without even trying! Go Mary!!

The finish line had water and cookies for the finishers.

PC155434.JPG

Good cookies, too! They were all homemade and delicious looking. I had the pretzel/ Hershey Kiss/ and M&Ms cookie and it was AMAZING..

However, there was something missing. Oh, yeah, that cool medal we were promised. Whoops! There was a mess up in Orlando that put the medals on a delay. They were on their way, but it would be a while. We tried waiting it out for the medals and award ceremony, but had to give up after over an hour of waiting around.

PC155442.JPG

No biggie. The race director promised they would send the medals to all of the finishers this week. *fingers crossed!* Medal or not, we still had a blast. The race has a few quirks to work out, but I really liked the concept of running on Honeymoon Island at night.. maybe they just need to figure out another way to light the course so you’re not afraid of tripping or falling with every step? Just a thought. ;)

We also have some costume ideas for next year. Picture this: Marcus as Santa and the four of us as reindeer pulling sleigh. Think about it. ;)

After we left the race site, we headed straight to Ozona Pig for a much-anticipated BBQ dinner.

PC155446.JPG

At 9:00pm, we were their only customers. This small town sure knows how to party hard on a Saturday night.

PC155448.JPG

Our table started with chips and salsa and some BBQ hot tamales.

PC155449.JPG PC155451.JPG

The three girls all ordered the same thing for dinner: three sliders (two with pork and one with beef), coleslaw, and a side of fries.

PC155452.JPG

The BBQ was okay, but the fries were what really had my attention. The fresh cut fries tasted just like Five Guys fabulous fries. I ate almost the entire basket. Sooooo good!

PC155453.JPG

I arrived home full, tired, and grinning ear-to-ear. Such a fun night!

Now I am so ready for bed.

Good night!

Are you running a holiday-themed race this year? Did you dress up?

1 Liz December 16, 2012 at 2:07 am

I love the holiday socks and Mr. Christmas tree really looks like a Christmas tree. :)

2 Angela December 16, 2012 at 4:14 am

1- That tree is hilarious!
2-Love Mary’s shorts!
3-Those fries look amazinnnng.
4-I think you definitely do that costume next year, you’d win for sure! :)
5-I did not run any sort of holiday race, but that’s definitely something I should look into next year. So fun!

3 Kathy December 16, 2012 at 6:57 am

Totally looks like fun even though they do need to work out a couple of things…you all looked cute too.

4 Katie @ Talk Less, Say More December 16, 2012 at 7:15 am

What a fun race. And I seriously love those Target socks. saw them the other day and ALMOST bought them but went for a different pair that I could wear under my jeans without the “puff” – ha!

5 Katie @ Peace Love and Oats December 16, 2012 at 7:35 am

Congrats on second place! That looks a liiiitle creepy but still a really fun race!

6 Kristen @ notsodomesticated December 16, 2012 at 9:45 am

What a run race! I love the guy with the tree costume … but that had to have been difficult to run in!

7 Julia H. @ Live Young & Prosper December 16, 2012 at 10:09 am

I love how festive this race is! Christmas lights, holiday cookies…perfection.

8 laura December 16, 2012 at 10:35 am

i love this post! i also love that you have had two awesome nights this weekend where NO DRINKING was involved!! don’t you love that you can still have sober fun :) i feel like around the holidays so much focus is on drinking, but I like that you’re still doing festive things that don’t involve alcohol!

9 Sara@RunningInPinkProject December 16, 2012 at 10:55 am

Looks like a fun race! We are running a “Jingle Run” next weekend. Im looking forward to it. I might need to score some rad socks first though.

10 Karen @ Runner Girl Eats December 16, 2012 at 11:27 am

Congrats on placing! Looks like a fun run but I would be soo afraid of tripping in the dark. Hopefully they can figure out a better lighting plan next year :)

11 Amanda Bordonaro December 16, 2012 at 12:51 pm

I ran a Hanukkah hustle 5km (and the medals were menorahs!) and a Santa shuffle 5k. My fiancé is Jewish, so we tried to split the races equally for the holidays. We didn’t dress up for either, but there is a Santa run somewhere around here where the race kit actually has a Santa costume in it! So maybe next year, haha :)

12 TorontoRunner December 16, 2012 at 1:24 pm

I’m trying to get myself to a holiday race. Those socks look sooooooo cute. :D

13 sara @ fitcupcaker December 16, 2012 at 1:56 pm

I dont know of any holiday races around here but i want to find some! Love the reindeer headbands!

14 cathy@1970kikiproject December 16, 2012 at 2:31 pm

i love your festive socks! i like those holiday-themed pro compression socks (if you have seen them) but i understand they are sold out…bargain store make-my-own may have to be a substitute!
love the finish line lights at the race – and congrats to mary!

15 Emily N December 16, 2012 at 3:52 pm

Congrats on second place age group!

16 Barb December 16, 2012 at 5:08 pm

Does Derek still run?

17 Meghann December 16, 2012 at 7:21 pm

Not consistently. He’ll bust out a couple of miles every once in a while.

18 Belle December 16, 2012 at 5:25 pm

What are illuminaries?

19 Charlie (therunnerbeans) December 16, 2012 at 6:03 pm

You guys looks so cute!!!

20 Meghan December 16, 2012 at 7:45 pm

Best looking bib ever.. an awesomely bright finish line! and 5guys fries are simply amazing (had them tonight!)

21 Caroline December 16, 2012 at 9:07 pm

Hey Meghann,

Looks like a fun race! Glad you had a good time!

I had a quick question for you- what has been your experience with marathons and headphone bans? I am this close to signing up for my first marathon in the spring and have noticed that some races ban headphones…the race I really want to do (Charlottesville) has the policy on its website. Have you ever run a marathon with this rule? I love listening to music when I run and don’t want to do my first full without it!

Thanks!!

22 Meghann December 16, 2012 at 9:34 pm

That’s such a tricky question. THe majority of marathons state that they ban headphones as a safety precaution, but I would say the majority of the marathon field never listens to the ban. They’re not going to kick you off the course for wearing headphones, but you also wouldn’t qualify for any awards if you did. I’ve worn headphones for all of my marathons (even ones where they were banned) and never had a problem.

23 Caroline December 18, 2012 at 1:27 pm

Thanks so much for your response!! I took the plunge and signed up- first marathon here I come!

24 Meghann December 18, 2012 at 1:53 pm

Woo hoo! Good luck!

25 Christine @ BookishlyB December 16, 2012 at 9:17 pm

The only way I’d place in a race is if there were only three people running in it ;)

26 Andrea December 16, 2012 at 10:57 pm

I ran the Reindeer Run at Sea World yesterday. So fun! We wore a red shirt, a red/green/white tutu that we made, Christmas socks that had the puffy thing like yours at the top but that were green/red plaid, jingle bells in our shoes and hair, candy cane Sweaty Band, and reindeer antler headband. I love dressing up!

27 Army Amy* December 17, 2012 at 4:13 am

The best part about running small races is unexpectedly placing. Congrats!*

28 Jamie Hemond December 17, 2012 at 10:05 am

I’m the Christmas tree! It was really easy to run in actually, but the entire event was a lot of fun!

29 Meghann December 17, 2012 at 10:09 am