more ยป" />

Wanted: Spring Marathon

by Meghann on December 13, 2012

Happy Thursday!!

I had a great run this morning. I’m currently listening to Heads in Beds: A Reckless Memoir of Hotels, Hustles, and So-Called Hospitality” and it’s the perfect audiobook for a run. It’s just interesting enough to keep me entertained, yet light enough that I can still semi-zone out to it and not accidentally miss an important plot line. Heavy books with confusing story lines are not great books to run to, funny memoirs about a former employee’s experience in the hospitality business is a great one. Plus, it’s just a good book. Sort-of like Waiting for the hotel business. I’d highly recommend it.

The book kept me entertained through my 5 mile run, then on my extended mile walk with Maddie (she needed to burn off some of that early morning energy).

After returning and showering, I made eggs and sliced an apple for breakfast.

Green onion + goat cheese = awesome scrambled egg toppings. I love when I have random items in the fridge that can instantly kick some scrambled eggs up a notch.

And one can never go wrong with apple slices and almond butter.

A delicious breakfast combo that totally hit the spot. :)

Wanted: Spring Marathon

I’m currently looking for a spring marathon to train for, preferably something in the late March- early April time frame in a city that’s easy to fly in and out of. Any suggestions for a good one?

1 Dylan December 13, 2012 at 10:22 am

Those scrambled eggs look incredible…. and your photog skills kick butt!

2 Angela December 13, 2012 at 10:27 am

April 7 is the Go! St. Louis Marathon. It’s always a good one.
Angela recently posted..Y6 Ignite Class #3

3 Rachel F December 13, 2012 at 10:33 am

I was going to suggest STL too. It’s a great race!

4 Jessica December 13, 2012 at 10:57 am

Plus I mean… I live here. No brainer.
Jessica recently posted..Onshore Outsourcing Branding & Site Design

5 Courtney @ Journey of a Dreamer December 13, 2012 at 12:40 pm

DITTO that! You can stay with me if you want! I’m running the half!
Courtney @ Journey of a Dreamer recently posted..Weigh In Wednesday: Dietbet Week 1 {link up}

6 Kimberly @ Healthy Strides December 13, 2012 at 10:30 am

I think it depends on how big of a race you are looking for. Carmel (in Indiana) is near Indianapolis is a great event, as is the Martian Invasion of Races in Dearborn, Mich., near Detroit. I did the Marian last year, and they had a beautiful course, great support and the medal – it is awesome. This year, I’m running the Wisconsin race in early May, and it’s within reasonable distance of Chicago.
Kimberly @ Healthy Strides recently posted..Three Things Thursday: Get it free

7 sara @ fitcupcaker December 13, 2012 at 10:32 am

Those are two of my favorite combinations! Anything with almond Or peanut butter is so Good!

8 Sara December 13, 2012 at 10:38 am

I’m running my first marathon in early March — the Little Rock Marathon. Seems like a nice city and a fun race. Plus, they hand out BIG medals.

9 TorontoRunner December 13, 2012 at 10:39 am

I’ve never run with an audio book before. What a great idea!
TorontoRunner recently posted..New York City!!!!!!!!!! – Part 2

10 Erica December 13, 2012 at 10:40 am

Shamrock Marathon in Virginia Beach! The post race party is so fun.
Erica recently posted..You Are Not A Number

11 Jules December 13, 2012 at 12:02 pm

My best friend and I are driving all the way from Wisconsin to do this race! So excited, can’t wait!

12 Kirsten December 13, 2012 at 10:44 am

Oklahoma City Memorial Run is at the end of April and I have ran it for the past 4 years. Great marathon!

13 Linz December 13, 2012 at 1:07 pm

I agree. I did the half last year and it became one of my fave race experiences. Amazing crowd support.

14 SaraRM December 13, 2012 at 8:54 pm

Ill 3rd this! OKC is actually a pretty cool city.

15 Kate December 14, 2012 at 11:23 am

OKC is by far THE best race experience I’ve ever had. Incredible pre-race moment of silence, great course and crowd support.

16 Heather December 13, 2012 at 10:51 am

It is a little late (May 5), but I have heard amazing things about the Pittsburgh Marathon. It is also a really fun a pretty city. It is on my list.

There is also the Rock and Roll DC marathon in late March.
Heather recently posted..Christmas Traditions

17 Mary December 13, 2012 at 11:01 am

I’ve heard awesome things about Pittsburgh Marathon too! I was really torn between that one and Flying pig last year! Pittsburgh is definitely on my list of cities to run, Plus it’s in my top 5 faves I’ve visited so far!

18 Emily N December 13, 2012 at 12:41 pm

I too have heard great things about Pittsburgh. Its on my short list. Plus then you get to call yourself a “Runner of Steel”
Emily N recently posted..Feeling Strong and Solid

19 Danielle January 11, 2013 at 5:56 pm

I would highly recommend Pittsburgh! I’ll be doing the half for the 3rd time this year. Pittsburgh is just totally a sports town and they REALLY support their runners! I’ve never seen better crowd support!!

20 Natalie @ Free Range Human December 13, 2012 at 10:52 am

The Hogeye Marathon in Fayetteville, AR is on April 14. It’s one of the top ten hardest marathons in the country. Plus, Fayetteville is just a really neat town!
Natalie @ Free Range Human recently posted..A Southern Staple

21 Hayley @ Running on Pumpkin December 13, 2012 at 10:53 am

I just started listening to a new audiobook that is an intense, complicated mystery. It is kind of hard sometimes if I zone out and miss a few lines, but I like having a book that I really have to focus on because once I get in the zone the miles fly by!

22 Melissa @TryingtoHeal December 13, 2012 at 10:58 am

PASADENA CALIFORNIA :)
Melissa @TryingtoHeal recently posted..Recipe Wednesday: Dark Chocolate Vegan Walnut Brownies

23 Savannah December 13, 2012 at 10:59 am

DC Rock n Roll!

24 Jenna December 13, 2012 at 11:01 am

Dallas Rock n Roll on March 24! I signed up last night for my first half!

25 Lindsay December 13, 2012 at 11:02 am

Little Rock Marathon is early March… not sure if that’s too early for you though!

26 Deirdre December 13, 2012 at 11:11 am

I’ve been wanting to read Heads in Beds. If you like service industry memoirs, I would definitely suggest the book Waiter Rant.

27 Krista N December 13, 2012 at 11:21 am

I’ve run the Little Rock Marathon (I’m from Arkansas!) and it really is a good race if you think that’s enough time to train! Plus, it has the biggest finishers medal in the country! But right now I’m living in Dallas for grad school and have heard good things about the Big D Marathon in April. Good luck finding a race!

28 Emily @ The Swallow Flies December 13, 2012 at 11:22 am

I am currently training for the Drake Relays Half Marathon at the end of April – while it’s only a half marathon, Des Moines is a super fun city, and the Drake Relays bring in tons of elite athletes to make for a really great weekend. I’m also training for the Lincoln Half Marathon (there’s also a full marathon) at the beginning of May. Flying into Omaha would be easy, and then it’s just a 40-minute drive. :)
Emily @ The Swallow Flies recently posted..Ah, Running

29 Katie December 13, 2012 at 11:25 am

I highly recommend the Cellcom Marathon in Green Bay Wisconsin! I live about 2 hours from there & I did this race a few years ago. Very organized, airport in Green Bay, GREAT spectators, and energy! Plus it’s not too pricey :)

30 Jules December 13, 2012 at 12:05 pm

I attempted this one in 2012. It was to be my first marathon. Unfortunately, it was shut down due to heat. Despite all that disappointment, I REALLY loved it! I am definitely going back this year. What a great city to race in.

31 abbi December 13, 2012 at 11:37 am

Pittsburgh in early May is a good one. I’ve heard lots of good things about Shamrock too!
abbi recently posted..Running from the Heart

32 Katie @ Peace Love & Oats December 13, 2012 at 11:45 am

The Marine Corps marathon? I know that’s on my list of possible races to run one day. Lol or you could head over this way and run the Wisconsin Marathon in Kenosha. About 50 minutes north of Chicago. My cousin ran it last year, your medal is usually shaped like cheese :)
Katie @ Peace Love & Oats recently posted..Thursday Thoughts

33 Megan December 13, 2012 at 11:49 am

Atlanta’s Publix Marathon is March 17. Supposed to be a great race! And what’s more fun than an all-green race on St. Patty’s Day?
Megan recently posted..Track Tuesday 4

34 LKH December 13, 2012 at 12:08 pm

Rock n Roll DC – March 16
Georgia Marathon (Atlanta) – March 17
Rock n Roll Nashville – April 27

35 Lana December 13, 2012 at 12:27 pm

I’m not a runner (yet!) but I live in OKC and the Memorial Marathon is simply amazing. Only downside is you never know what the weather will be – hot, windy, or like the year my husband ran – freezing cold, rainy, and it even hailed on him! :)

36 Annette @FitnessPerks December 13, 2012 at 12:27 pm

I love eggs with goat cheese. Mmmmmm
Annette @FitnessPerks recently posted..Holiday Gift Ideas {Foodie}

37 Monica December 13, 2012 at 12:28 pm

Rock n Roll DC is 3/16. It’ll be my first half!

38 Jean December 13, 2012 at 12:28 pm

Goat cheese and onions on eggs sound SO incredibly good!

I’m always pimping the Burlington Marathon even though I didn’t actually run it (I planned to last year but got a stress fracture 3 weeks out). I went to school nearby and watched the marathon a few times, and it was SUCH an amazing race. Honestly, I thought it was better than New York. Smoothly run (from what I could tell and from what friends who have run it tell me), great crowd support, A BUNCH OF DRUMMERS to help you up the one big-ish hill, and a beautiful course (and one that allows your spectators to see you many times)! Also easy to fly into/out of. I swear they’re not paying me to say that, I’m just a big Vermont enthusiast. Last year it was at the end of May (or maybe first week in June?).
Jean recently posted..Ask and Ye Shall Receive

39 Maryann December 13, 2012 at 12:29 pm

Do the LA marathon!! I did it last year, so so fun :)

40 Stephanie December 13, 2012 at 12:29 pm

Omg that book sounds so good! I’m making a note to read this!
Stephanie recently posted..DIY Racerback Workout Shirt

41 Hillary December 13, 2012 at 12:35 pm

The Nike Women’s Half is coming to DC this year; late April! I’ve always wanted to do the San Fran one but could never afford it. This one looks great.

42 Danielle January 11, 2013 at 6:02 pm

Just FYI, registration is closed and sold-out this year. Meghann would have to buy a bib from someone else. It’s also pricey – $160.

43 Ebernst December 13, 2012 at 12:42 pm

Tobacco Road Marathon in Raleigh, NC (technically…Cary..but pretty much the same!) on March 17th!

I ran this last year as the half and it is really fun, super flat (on a rails to trails trail) and really chill. I think they cap the race around 4,000 runners for both the half and full which makes a great smallish race to do. And at they end there is tons of free local beer…YES! Plus, RDU is pretty easy to fly into!

44 Frannie December 13, 2012 at 12:47 pm

Drake Relays half in Des Moines is good.

St. Louis marathon is also good *you get to run through the old Budweiser plant!* but sells out quickly.

Have fun!

45 Kim @ I Hope I Don't Get Lost December 13, 2012 at 1:18 pm

I am planning to run Whidbey Island in April. It’s about an hour from Seattle in the Puget Sound. Can’t wait!
Kim @ I Hope I Don’t Get Lost recently posted..November Foodie Pen Pal

46 Shari December 13, 2012 at 1:19 pm

Kentucky Derby Marathon!!! Come in for it on 4/27 and stay in town for Derby Week festivities and the Derby on 5/7!

47 Steph @ Smiles Through Miles December 13, 2012 at 1:20 pm

Oh my goodness, as someone in the hospitality industry, that book is now on my must read list! I love those behind the scenes type books!
Steph @ Smiles Through Miles recently posted..Broadway Across America: Sister Act

48 Trisha Oosterhouse December 13, 2012 at 2:15 pm

The Traverse City Bayshore Marathon is on May 25th. It’s a beautiful, flat and scenic run along the bay and a great vacation destination with winery’s, restaurants, and shopping! Voted one of Americas Top vacation destinations, you can’t go wrong! Flying into Cherry Capitol airport is easy too! Hope to see you there!

49 Jen December 13, 2012 at 2:19 pm

It’s not until Memorial Day weekend, but come up this way and run the Vermont City Marathon! Practice hills first. Super fun.

50 Ericka @ The Sweet Life December 13, 2012 at 2:28 pm

Shamrock in VA Beach :) It’s in March. Also, Carmel in Indiana in April. I’m doing both I think :)
Ericka @ The Sweet Life recently posted..Honor Flight: Don’t Miss It

51 Kate December 13, 2012 at 2:34 pm

Charlottesville! It’s an absolutely beautiful course with plenty of hills! :)

52 Renee December 13, 2012 at 2:56 pm

It’s a little late (May 5) but the Marine Corps Marathon in Lincoln, Nebraska. Registration is open right now.
Renee recently posted..Weekly Workouts {12/3-12/9}

53 Renee December 13, 2012 at 3:01 pm

Forgot to mention and it’s flat and fast. I’m planning on doing the 1/2.
Renee recently posted..Weekly Workouts {12/3-12/9}

54 Renee December 13, 2012 at 4:59 pm

Good grief I’ve been reading too many blogs its the NATIONAL GUARD marathon
Renee recently posted..1000 Gifts

55 Stephanie December 13, 2012 at 2:58 pm

Seabrook Lucky Trails Marathon in the Houston area! There is a half marathon on Saturday (also a relay for two option), and a full marathon on Sunday (also a relay option for four). Also if you do both, there is a Pelican Challenge and a Trail Challenge that are just like the Goofy Challenge at Disney. Plus, as an added bonus all of the medals have glitter on them! The races are on St. Patricks Day weekend. Fly to Houston! I am doing the half marathon on Saturday and the marathon relay on Sunday.
Stephanie recently posted..Sugarland 30K Recap

56 Allison December 13, 2012 at 3:02 pm

Warm running tights are on my holiday wish list – we just moved from Florida to Michigan, and I am NOT looking forward to training in the snow! I ran a 5k on Thanksgiving and froze, so I need new tights stat.

57 Hannahviolin December 13, 2012 at 3:29 pm

St Louis is easy to fly in and out of…I see others recommended it as well. It’s my first marathon and you should run it too!
Hannahviolin recently posted..Mallorca and Harry Potter

58 Allie December 13, 2012 at 3:34 pm

The LA Marathon is on St. Patrick’s Day this year. It’s a “bucket-list” marathon for me, and it’d be fun to dress all in green (and have a beer afterwards). Of course, I’m not running it this year, but I will in 2014!

59 Katie @ Talk Less, Say More December 13, 2012 at 4:34 pm

I’m on the lookout for a 1/2 marathon…got any suggestions? ;)
Katie @ Talk Less, Say More recently posted..Foodie Gift Guide

60 Michelle in Michigan December 14, 2012 at 9:22 am

I run mostly half marathons and my two favorites are Little Rock (I have run the half and full) and Pittsburgh. Pittsburgh is one that I would consider running again!!!

61 Danielle January 11, 2013 at 6:04 pm

Hey Katie! It’s your roommate from HLS ’11! I would recommend Pittsburgh too if that isn’t too far for you. I’ll be doing it again this year, too!

62 Carissa @Fit2Flex December 13, 2012 at 4:57 pm

So how do you download your audio books? I’m unsure how the best way is too do it and I’m stuck with really brainy Ted talks.

I’m looking for a spring half for a bridal shower. Can’t wait to see what ideas everyone has. Didn’t you do Nashville last year? I think that’s only a half.
Carissa @Fit2Flex recently posted..12 Days of Christmas Workout

63 Meghann December 13, 2012 at 5:01 pm

I have a subscription to Audible.com which downloads straight to my Itunes so it’s really easy to add to my iPod. :) My sister and brother did Nashville a couple of years ago. It was really hot and HILLY. There’s a full marathon and half marathon option.

64 Laura C. December 13, 2012 at 4:57 pm

The Go! Stl is one of my favorites.

65 Wendy December 13, 2012 at 5:04 pm

LA Marathon! Coolest point to point course ever.

Little Rock does have a fabulous huge medal but the course is meh.

66 Heather December 13, 2012 at 5:37 pm

Quintiles wrightsville beach marathon on march 17 :)

67 Karen @ Runner Girl Eats December 13, 2012 at 5:39 pm

I just read an excerpt of that book in magazine. I don’t know if I would want to read the whole thing, I’d feel so dirty at hotels!
Karen @ Runner Girl Eats recently posted..12 Days of Fit-mas

68 Lindsey December 13, 2012 at 6:21 pm

The Asheville Marathon is March 3rd- that might be a bit early. It’s the first year of the race and it’s all on the Biltmore Estate grounds. If nothing else, it’s pretty!

69 Amy December 13, 2012 at 6:59 pm

I don’t have spring but fall October Columbus Day weekend is the Hudson Mohawk marathon in alban ny it’s a great course

70 Clare @ Fitting It All In December 13, 2012 at 8:34 pm

I’m running Go! St. Louis in early April! I’ve run it before – it’s nice. Not huge, but good course through St. Louis. I think there is a women’s half in DC too..but i think you’re only looking for full.
Indianapolis! Does that one have a full too? AWESOME course through the Indy 500
Clare @ Fitting It All In recently posted..What I learned + Love Grown Winner!

71 Alli December 13, 2012 at 9:09 pm

Phx marathon 3/2!! It’ll be my very first full :) from what I hear, the race is a east course & a BQ-er….not that ill be doing any of that, though! ;) I’m shooting for a 4:30 :)

72 Briana December 13, 2012 at 9:51 pm

I’m running the Pittsburgh Marathon in May! I’ve always wanted to do the country music marathon in Nashville – I think that one is in April !

Just a question- how do you find the motivation to get up and run in the morning?! You’re amazing!
Briana recently posted..December is a month of busy-ness

73 Meghann December 13, 2012 at 9:55 pm

Usually I find setting goals to be the biggest motivator. Right not my motivator is looking hot in that wedding dress next month!

74 Samantha Mason December 14, 2012 at 2:34 am

Have you done the LA marathon yet? LAX is a pain to fly into, but Burbank is pretty easy and I could pick you up if you wanted a ride.

It is on St. Patrick’s day this year, which I find WAY fun! (But it is the day before my birthday, so yeah). I’m going to probably do the 5k (which is on the 16th), and I think there is a marathon entry that includes both.

It is a pretty incredible course that takes you through Dodger Stadium, Silver Lake, Hollywood (down Hollywood blvd), through Beverly Hills and all the way to the ocean. I would run it myself if I was even sort of in a place to run a marathon. But I know lots of people who do, and they all love the race.

If you are interested, you can totally crash with me. I know I have not seen you in like…ten years….but whatever! :)
Samantha Mason recently posted..A Week With My New Camera

75 Michelle in Michigan December 14, 2012 at 9:24 am

Pittsburgh, Little Rock and Publix Georgia are really good races. I have run the half at all three and returned to Little Rock a couple years later to run the full.

76 Debby December 14, 2012 at 2:19 pm

It’s a little later in April, but the OKC Run to Remember is a *must do* marathon. I’ve done the half several times, but ran my FIRST full this April. Excellent course, AWESOME crowd support and the BEST start of any race ever. Come see it and I dare you not to tear up. Utterly fantastic.

77 Laura Kinson December 14, 2012 at 3:03 pm

Los Angeles!! March 17, only 93 days to go!

78 Courtney December 14, 2012 at 3:51 pm

I need someone to take away my credit card before I start signing up for all these races!!
I am running Flying Pig this year, but the OKC Memorial Marathon is on my list for sure next year! I went to Oklahoma City for a half ironman in Sept and was shocked at how fun the place was. You would have a blast! Definitely Little Rock and the Nashville Country Music Marathon are on my bucket list too.

79 Michelle M December 14, 2012 at 8:17 pm

You should do Rock N Roll Washington DC! St. Patty’s Day weekend.

80 Kristen @ The Concrete Runner December 18, 2012 at 10:06 am

Omg, come to St. Louis! Of course, not always the easiest airport to fly into and out of, but I’ll entertain you! And you would get to play with the cutest baby ever! ;) Go! St. Louis is April 7 – I’m doing the half, but I’ll run with you the first 9 miles!
Kristen @ The Concrete Runner recently posted..one week until christmas