Kale Cures All

by Meghann on December 12, 2012

Derek’s sick. :(

Poor baby was up all night with the shakes. We don’t know if it’s a nasty cold, virus, or what, but he feels awful. I feel pretty helpless knowing there’s not much I can do but help him feel comfortable as he fights this thing.

I broke out some kale for lunch today and asked Derek if he wanted any as he entered the kitchen to see what I was up to. He asked if it would help him feel better. I had to think about that one, I mean it’s full of good-for-you vitamins and greens, right? What could it hurt? Sure. Why not. He made a huge plate of it and ate it plain. Man, he really will try anything if it helps him feel better.

I opted to sauté my kale in a little lemon juice, salt, and evoo with some leftovers from last night’s dinner (turkey burger, brussels sprouts, and potatoes) and topped it all with cheese.

Tasted pretty good to me.

I’m crossing my finger that the kale kicks whatever Derek has butt, in hopes that it will prevent it from hitting me. We have a bad habit of trading colds and I could do without this one thankyouverymuch. I’m also loading up on vitamin C, airborne, and every other preventative measures out there that probably won’t actually work, but in the slim chance they do, I’m not taking any chances. ;)

Dirty Girl Florida

Looks like I’ll be spending my 28th birthday getting dirty!!

Screen shot 2012-12-12 at 2.31.59 PM.png

Dirty Girl is coming to the Tampa Bay area on February 9th and tapped a few of the Tampa Bay Lady Bloggers to give the 5k mud run hell. After having so much fun getting muddy at Pretty Muddy in November, I can’t wait to reunite with my girls for this race!

PB100136.JPG

Dirty Girl is a “girl power” mud run that takes all the pressure off of the usual mud run atmosphere by removing chip timers, giving participants the option to go around obstacles, and encouraging costumes, teamwork, and just plain fun. Dirty Girl Mud Runs take place all over the U.S. and are coming to Florida this January/ February (Miami Jan 19th, Jacksonville Jan 26th, and Tampa Feb 9th).

The February 9th race takes place the day after my 28th birthday, so I plan to celebrate with this race in style. Maybe a big birthday hat? Multiple tutus? Some other completely obnoxious costume? The sky is the limit!

If you would like to celebrate with us, you can register for the Tampa Dirty Girl Mud Run now using the code FLBLOGGUEST for 20% off the race entry! The code is also good for the Miami and Jacksonville races in January. The TBLB will be kicking the race off in the 8:00am wave – please join us!!

Bonus: Anyone who registers for the Miami, Jacksonville or Tampa Dirty Girl Mud Runs between Dec. 5th and 11:59 PM on Dec. 24th will automatically be entered to win a gym membership of her choice valued up to $500!

Have you ever done a birthday race? Did you dress up? Any suggestions for a fun costume?!

Disclosure: I’m a Dirty Girl Ambassador, selected because of my general awesome nature and ability to inspire. In return for spreading the word, my Dirty Girl Mud Run is comped, but all opinions are my own.

1 Cat @ Breakfast to Bed December 12, 2012 at 3:22 pm

YOUR BIRTHDAY SUIT!! Oh wait…..you’ve done that……and the mud….

moving on.
there was a study last year in the NEJOM about colds and flu the best foods are chicken, apples, greens, and mucho broth, as well as, oddly, mussels (zinc)

Hope he feels better, beautiful.
Cat @ Breakfast to Bed recently posted..Some Things Shouldn’t Be Detachable.

2 Meghann December 12, 2012 at 3:34 pm

Ha! You run naked one time… lol And thanks for the info. I think I’ll be making chicken soup for dinner tonight. :)

3 lisa fine December 12, 2012 at 3:31 pm

Fun! You get to do all kinds of races…very cool.

Sorry to hear Derek’s sick. Kale and soup and tea all work well, and I like to take Emergen-C twice a day too.
lisa fine recently posted..making money from blogging / november 2012

4 Samantha December 12, 2012 at 3:49 pm

Haha I love your disclaimer. Too funny. I actually LOVE doing birthday races and aim to find one on or around my birthday each year. This past November I did the Disney Wine & Dine half-marathon, which was few weeks before my birthday. I just signed up for my birthday race in 2013 – Run Rock ‘n’ Roll Strip at Night in Vegas! It’s the day before my birthday!
Samantha recently posted..Toughen Up

5 Sarah (Shh...Fit Happens) December 12, 2012 at 3:53 pm

Way to make kale look super yummy!
Sarah (Shh…Fit Happens) recently posted..If you are a praying person…

6 Renee December 12, 2012 at 3:56 pm

So we totally share a birthday!
Renee recently posted..Weekly Workouts {12/3-12/9}

7 Lauren R December 12, 2012 at 4:00 pm

Eat lots of spinach and broccoli!! I swear by it, I am a preschool teacher and so I am surrounded by tons and tons of germs and I hardly ever get sick, especially compared to all the other teachers. SO I definitely recommend these two, they are my staple to good health!

8 Dori December 12, 2012 at 4:08 pm

I ran my first half marathon on my 27th birthday! I bought a child’s tiara that said HAPPY BIRTHDAY on it at a stationary store but almost no one wished my happy birthday and I felt really sad about it. I realized later that the tiara dipped back far on my head and was too hard to see! Before the race though, one girl told me it was her birthday too!
Dori recently posted..pvBody: Workout Clothes Every Month + 20% Off

9 Meghann December 12, 2012 at 4:23 pm

haha I wore a tiara that said “Bride to Be” for my bachelorette half marathon a couple of weeks ago and everyone kept calling me “Princess” :)

10 Sneakers2sandals December 12, 2012 at 4:40 pm

I swear whenever I come down with something the first thing I do is buy the largest bag of spinach I can find and eat it raw with balsamic and evoo…and the next day I am cured! It sounds crazy but it’s true!
Sneakers2sandals recently posted..One of those days.

11 TorontoRunner December 12, 2012 at 4:52 pm

ah so many people getting sick. I’m waiting on my turn :(
Sorry to hear about Derek!
TorontoRunner recently posted..New York City!!!!!!!!! – Picture Overload

12 Hayley @ Running on Pumpkin December 12, 2012 at 4:53 pm

No way!!! I have been eyeing the Dirty Girl race in San Francisco on March 2! I have never done a mud run, but after reading your post about doing one a while back, I researched a bunch in my area. I didn’t even realize it was the same one that you are an ambassador for! Trying to find a group to run it with me :D

13 Katie @ Talk Less, Say More December 12, 2012 at 5:19 pm

I should definitely do a birthday run! Time to start looking for one! ;)
Katie @ Talk Less, Say More recently posted..What I Ate Wednesday // Pancake Fail

14 Katie @ Peace Love & Oats December 12, 2012 at 5:40 pm

lol well the obvious outfit choice is your birthday suit, but if you don’t want to go that far, perhaps a b-day tiara?
Katie @ Peace Love & Oats recently posted..WIAW–Grocery Staples

15 Annette @FitnessPerks December 12, 2012 at 6:32 pm

Hope he feels better soon! Kale was probably a good choice–but how did he eat it plain? My husband HATES the stuff plain. Hah
Annette @FitnessPerks recently posted..How to Create a Healthy Meal/Snack

16 Liz December 12, 2012 at 8:17 pm

I have never done a birthday, but any race sounds fun to me. :) That would be a great run for me. I could bypass the water stuff and do everything else. I don’t swim. Once again, looks like a lot of fun. :)
Liz recently posted..FD215 – Wednesday Rewind & Reflections

17 Christine @ BookishlyB December 12, 2012 at 8:22 pm

My husband and I trade illnesses, although it’s usually that brings them into the house since I’m a teacher. Good job making him eat kale- I think sometimes getting sick is inevitable, but being smart about how you fight it can make a huge difference!
Christine @ BookishlyB recently posted..Bookish (and Not So Bookish) Thoughts

18 Allie December 12, 2012 at 9:01 pm

I’m a big fan of birthday races :) I ran my first marathon on my 26th birthday! (Which you celebrated with me since you ran the pig too :) ) I vote for a birthday shirt and a tiara!
Allie recently posted..Off Season

19 beka @ rebecca roams December 12, 2012 at 9:12 pm

This race sounds like a lot of fun! I’m a little sad I’m missing it, but my A-Race is the next morning (RnR St Pete) :-) Hope Derek feels better soon! I know I’m fighting off something right now too. I’ve had the slightly sore throat all day.
beka @ rebecca roams recently posted..Weekly Workouts Roundup from the Open Sea

20 Sara@RunningInPinkProject December 12, 2012 at 9:36 pm

I really want to do one of these Dirty Girl runs!! Its just a bit to cold up here in VA for that right now. :)
Sara@RunningInPinkProject recently posted..Healthy Copy-Cat Recipe: Panera Chicken and Wild Rice Soup

21 Charlie (The Runner Beans) December 13, 2012 at 5:34 am

Get a fun tshirt printed!! Ive been looking for some muddy obstacle courses near me and the next one seems to be 10-12 miles- seems pretty long for my first! Might give it a whirl anyway!
Charlie (The Runner Beans) recently posted..Tabata Treadmill Workout

22 Jamie @ StudioEats December 13, 2012 at 8:21 am

Aw I hope he feels better! The Kale will definitely do SOMETHING good in his body, I’m sure!
Jamie @ StudioEats recently posted..Sweet Potatoes Made Easy: Roasted with Maple and Fresh Rosemary

23 Sara @ fitcupcaker December 13, 2012 at 9:39 am

That looks so good. I have had kale soup before. I want to try that
Sara @ fitcupcaker recently posted..Free Chobani Giveaway!

24 Julia H. @ Live Young & Prosper December 13, 2012 at 9:19 pm

I’ve never done a birthday race, but I love the idea! My birthday for the last few years has been falling around the last day of classes, so racing isn’t my priority around then, haha
Julia H. @ Live Young & Prosper recently posted..What I Ate Wednesday #2