Wedding: DIY Cookie Favor Bags

by Meghann on December 11, 2012

It all started with a photo.

418915_793305437563_1523260430_n.jpg

(© Leo Djiwatampu 2011)

I have a friend who is a very talented baker and food stylist. She created the dessert table pictured above for a friend’s wedding sometime last year and I began drooling over the set up as soon she uploaded it to Facebook. The food looked amazing and the styling was perfect. It was after I saw that photo (before Derek even proposed) that I knew I wanted to have a dessert bar at my own wedding one day.

My original plan was to treat the dessert bar like the candy bars that are so popular at weddings now a days. We would have a set up similar to the one pictured above and guests could fill their to-go boxes with what ever treats they wanted to bring home.

Then as time went on, our plan was fine tuned. We’re keeping the concept of the dessert bar (filled with desserts from both of our families), but are counting on our guests to enjoy the majority of the desserts at the reception… with the exception of the cookies.

431307_793305652133_1885879836_n.jpg

(© Leo Djiwatampu 2011)

The new plan is a cookie favor bar. The cookies will be on a separate table with a note encouraging guests to take one home. We’ve already ordered 175 giant cookies from a local baker (Sunrise Bakery) for the favors. I’ve also started collecting baskets to display the cookies as they are featured above and below(I’m pretty obsessed with the cookies-in-a-basket concept ;) ).

395853_793305387663_449617863_n.jpg

(© Leo Djiwatampu 2011)

Now for our favor bags, I had this vision for kraft cookie bags similar to what you see at the bakery section at Whole Foods. I thought it would be easy to find brown ones at a local craft store and add our own snowflake stamps to personalize it a bit, but I was wrong. We found plenty of plastic favor bags, but nothing resembling the kraft brown paper look I was picturing in my head.

I had a little success on Etsy, but everything seemed a bit pricy. I hit the motherload when I Googled “kraft cookie bags” and found a bunch of restaurant supply sites selling them in bulk. The good news was I could order 1000 favor bags for $20, the bad news was I would then have 800 favor bags left when all was said and done. When it came down to it, I could not pass up the bulk price, so I ordered a case of the cookie bags from MrTakeOutBags.com and figured I could sell the excess later (p.s. if anyone needs some brown kraft cookie bags – I’m your girl!).

The bags were delivered last week and I used some coupons at JoAnns to purchase a “Thank You” stamp, snowflake stamp, and some ink to personalize the bags with.

Stamping the bags was the easy/fun part. I brought the supplies to my future in-laws on Friday and we traded off stamping roles in our mini-stamping assembly line.

I did the “Thank You” stamp with black ink in the center of the bag.

Then Derek and his dad took turns doing the snowflakes in silver in the corners.

The final product

The whole process took us about 30 minutes tops to complete.

We also stamped some kraft bags for our out of town bags, but I think they need something else before they’re complete. :)

Another DIY task has been completed! Woo hoo!

Did you do custom favor bags?

1 Kristy @ Kristy's Health Revolution December 11, 2012 at 1:16 pm

GREAT idea! I’m doing something similar! My colors are yellow and gray. I bought a ton of gray CD sleeves from Amazon, and I’m putting a single lemon cookie in each sleeve, and sealing them with a “Thank You!” sticker in the back, and will place them at each setting. I really like the idea of stuffing your own bag, though. Wish I’d thought of it! :)

2 Lindsay Margaret December 11, 2012 at 1:17 pm
3 Mo December 11, 2012 at 1:24 pm

LOVE this idea!! And I think your bags are super cute!

4 Christine December 11, 2012 at 1:31 pm

That is such a cute idea! I love it!

5 Sara December 11, 2012 at 1:35 pm

I would love to buy some bags off of you. I would need like 220 of them (sounds like you’ll still be left with a few!). Shoot me an email if you’re interested in selling (I think my email shows from my comment).

6 Meghann December 11, 2012 at 2:11 pm

Awesome! Sending an email now!

7 Cher @ Weddicted December 11, 2012 at 1:44 pm

Good for you for enlisting help. I’ll admit I refused to get help for almost everything for our wedding when it came to anything DIY. I just like when things are done my way, by myself (I mean this in the least bratty way possible, lol). Just my personality. Definitely envious of anyone who can hand over the reigns!
And the cookie bar is a great idea – I’d love to be at a wedding with something like that!

8 Emily N December 11, 2012 at 1:47 pm

The bags turned out really cute! And getting Derek involved? Awesome.

9 Amanda Bordonaro December 11, 2012 at 2:34 pm

Love the cookie bar idea! Would definitely be interested in buying some from you – would need about 150. Send me an email if interested!

10 Meghann December 11, 2012 at 3:51 pm

Sending email now!

11 Amanda Bordonaro December 11, 2012 at 2:35 pm

* by “some” I meant the bags, lol. I’m sure you knew that but I was a bit unclear! Too excited about a cookie bar at my wedding to think straight :P

12 Heather December 11, 2012 at 2:35 pm

We didn’t do the bags but we did hand paint Christmas ornaments for all of our guests. I bought them on clearance the year before after Christmas and then over the course of the entire year 150 ornaments were painted by my mom, my sister-in-law and myself. I think my hubby helped some too. Our family still sees the ornament as something special when they are put on tree every year.

13 Samantha December 11, 2012 at 2:41 pm

Cute! And what a great price point! I was wondering – after the wedding, will you do a post summarizing the pricing/where you saved on certain things? Just interested in seeing your recommendations on where to save and where to splurge!

14 Meghann December 12, 2012 at 11:33 am

I can do that!

15 Grace @ Grace Dishes December 11, 2012 at 2:41 pm

That’s a lot of bags! 1000!? LOL
I love the end product. I’m the type to order a huge order and justify it and use it for something in the future!

I attended a wedding a few years ago (my sorority sister’s) who did milk and cookies as an end-of-the-night treat and it was lovely. These photos are gorgeous!

16 Michele December 11, 2012 at 2:49 pm

Cute – they turned out GREAT!!

I make handmade greeting cards & 3D items (whimsicalcreations.blogspot.com), I would seriously be interested in purchasing some of your left over bags… :D

17 Meghann December 11, 2012 at 3:57 pm

Absolutely! How many do you need? I now have 400 left.

18 Michele December 11, 2012 at 4:03 pm

I’d take 100 of them off your hands! :D

19 Meghann December 12, 2012 at 11:45 am

Great! Send an email to mealsandmiles@gmail.com :)

20 Margo December 11, 2012 at 3:09 pm

Lot it! The cookie bags look great. Man, I wish I’d gotten married after you so I could have borrowed some of your ideas!

21 Chelsea December 11, 2012 at 3:32 pm

Your story reminds me of an issue I came in to in trying to purchase Christmas stockings a few years ago. I needed five, and they were all SO EXPENSIVE. I found a place to buy 24 for $24, which is about how much one cost everywhere else, so I went with it. Funny thing was then Amazon screwed up and instead of a box, they mailed me a case, which included three boxes, so I had 72 Christmas stockings. (For $24!). I was giving them away left & right. ;)

22 Janice - Fitness Cheerleader December 11, 2012 at 3:51 pm

WOW! I think I need to get married again just so I can do some crafty fun stuff! Those bags look awesome!
My hubby and I got married in Vegas and were planning on eloping, but my mom caught wind of it and the next thing I knew 30 of our closest friends and relatives ended up joining us there. I didn’t give out any gifts to our attendees – in hindsight I probably could have had some sort of Vegas souvenir made up.

23 Tasha December 11, 2012 at 4:42 pm

What a cute idea! If you still have any left I’ll take 150- 200! My email should be linked to this comment. Thanks! :-)

24 Julia H. @ Live Young & Prosper December 11, 2012 at 6:27 pm

Awesome idea. I’m a big fan of the idea of giving away something edible as favors. You know it will be used!

25 Hillary December 11, 2012 at 7:25 pm

I’d love to do something similar for our wedding, but I’m must be insane for thinking of baking the cookies myself! Oy.

26 Meghann December 11, 2012 at 7:26 pm

That was my original plan, but then I realized my cookies aren’t very good and it’s not much more money to buy them from a local baker. :)

27 Danielle @ itsaharleyyylife December 11, 2012 at 8:19 pm

very cute idea! I want to do a candy table for favors! we shall see though. I should probably get started planning it again!

28 Katie Heddleston December 11, 2012 at 9:09 pm

Those are super cute! Does the top close at all or does it stay open?

29 Meghann December 12, 2012 at 11:31 am

It stays open, just like the bakery bags at Whole Foods. :)

30 samantha December 11, 2012 at 10:46 pm

I could take about 150 off your hands for my wedding. Let me know!

Sam

31 Meghann December 12, 2012 at 11:31 am

Yes! Send me an email at mealsandmiles@gmail.com if you’re still interested!

32 Steph December 11, 2012 at 11:18 pm

Adorable! love the bags. I’ll keep living vicariously through you, until there’s a ring on MY finger! lol

33 Angela December 12, 2012 at 2:55 am

Those bags are too cute! I love your whole rustic winter wedding idea! Everything is coming together so great, you must be SO excited!

34 Meghann December 12, 2012 at 11:32 am

Thank you, Angela! I am really excited, it’s fun to see it all come together – only three more weeks to go!

35 Grazia December 12, 2012 at 4:59 am

Love the idea of the cookie favor bar! And the snowflakes bags are simple yet adorable!
For our wedding we had a confetti bar: “confetto” is an Italian sugared little candy, formerly with an almond inside, but now made of different delicious flavors (tiramisù, ricotta + pears, nutella, cinnamon, apple pie….).

36 Sara @ fitcupcaker December 12, 2012 at 8:13 am

Those look so fun to make! What a great holiday idea.

37 Christine @ BookishlyB December 12, 2012 at 10:13 am

That’s a really cute, simple idea. I did custom See’s candy bars- took off their label, replaced it with paper that matched our invitations (yeah, I took it really seriously), a ribbon and a thank you card that I punched out and stamped. I did a few a night in front of the TV and it went pretty well- by the end though, I wanted to throw the candy bars on the tables with the original labels!

38 Sarah December 13, 2012 at 4:58 pm

So cute! What a great idea. The bags are adorable and who doesn’t love cookies?!

I actually didn’t do favors. I donated to my favorite charity instead and just left a little note card at each table mentioning it. It was really meaningful to me and my family.

39 Kimberly December 13, 2012 at 10:37 pm

I’ll be getting married next year, and I wanted to give homemade cookies to my guests as well. these cookie bags are a GREAT idea, and I like how they are grease-resistant! Are you selling the extras yet? I’m interested in buying a few =)

40 Daphne December 16, 2012 at 12:00 pm

I have been breifly following your blog and while scoping pinterest today I came across this and thought how funny that the shirts are really wedding date and not what the pin states http://media-cache-ec3.pinterest.com/upload/402650022904192787_KyUNKNJQ_c.jpg

41 Raffi December 29, 2012 at 9:44 am

I’ve seen tons of candy tables at Weddings and Bar Mitzvahs, and I think a cookie table is a much better idea!
The last wedding I went to had cake pillars loaded with macarons in pale aqua and cream to match the bridemaids, and gourmet mini pastries that tasted like either mini lemon meringue pies or chocolate with caramel center.
Not everyone seems to get served wedding cake – due to dancing or mingling, which is a shame. A cookie table allows them to still enjoy dessert, even if the cookies don’t actually make it home.

42 Lindsey Noe January 21, 2013 at 8:06 pm

Hi I would love to buy so of those paper bags from you if you have anymore. I would need about 240? Please email me if you have some for sale. Thanks, Lindsey

43 Meghann January 21, 2013 at 9:18 pm

Hi Lindsey, I’m sorry but the bags are sold out.

44 Renee Alsbach April 15, 2013 at 5:03 pm

Any bags still left that you need to sell? Would need 300. Thanks

45 Renee Alsbach April 15, 2013 at 5:07 pm

Love this idea! Do you still have bags you would like to sell? We will need 300. Thank you!

46 Renee Alsbach April 15, 2013 at 5:09 pm

Love this idea! Do you still have bags to sell? We would need 300. Thank you!

47 MealsAndMiles April 15, 2013 at 5:37 pm

Sorry, all out of bags!

48 Vanessa May 19, 2013 at 2:49 pm

Hi!!
I just came across your blog and this may be a long shot, but if you have any more brown cookie bags I would love to purchase some for my daughters first birthday! Love this idea! Let me know if you have any left! Thank you!

49 Meghann May 20, 2013 at 7:46 am

Hi Vanessa, Unfortunately I am out of bags. Good luck with planning for your daughter’s first birthday!