Mixed CDs

by Meghann on December 11, 2012

Psst… I updated the wedding page. Check out the story behind the cookie bar and our DIY favor bags.

Guess what we’re watching right now? American Pie 2.

I forgot how much I love this movie. It’s one of those rare instances where the sequel is almost as good as the original (American Reunion was pretty good too, can’t say the same about American Wedding). AP2 came out when I was in high school and the soundtrack brings me right back to my junior year. Sum 41, Blink 182, 3 Doors Down… if there were iPods back then, that’s what mine would have been full of.

Before the age of iPods, my parents had a jukebox in the great room (aka the “party” room) that we used to fill with mixed CDs for parties. Actually if you were to look at that jukebox now you would see that it’s still full of “M&R 4Ever” mixes my high school boyfriend and I made way back when (by “4Ever” we really meant until junior year… aww young love). I should really get a picture of them the next time I’m home. It’s fun to see the songs that are on the playlists like Sum 41, Blink 182, New Found Glory, Good Charlotte, N’Sync and Britney Spears. Plus the fact that they’re still there is amusing. “M&R” weren’t “4Ever” but apparently the mixes are. Can’t believe that was 10+ years ago now!

It’s funny how a movie’s soundtrack can bring back memories like that. I’m sure my parents feel the same way when they watch teen driven movies from the early 80s.

Lunch today was tacos.

Blue flaxseed corn tortillas stuffed with chicken in a dijon mustard glaze, spinach, and cheddar cheese.

But to be honest, I wasn’t really feeling the tacos today. I ate one then made a mini bowl of ricotta cheese and fig preserves. Now that totally hit the spot. Proof that it’s almost impossible to tame a sweet tooth with something savory – when you want something sweet, that’s something hard to ignore.

Derek I worked on our wedding ceremony script a little bit this afternoon. We made some good progress on it. At least now we have an outline and a semi-idea of what we want it to say – that’s a good start!

Burgers were on the menu for dinner.

I made buffalo turkey burgers by adding some buffalo sauce to the turkey meat before I cooked the burgers on the George Foreman. It worked pretty well, the burgers could have used some blue cheese, but ended up with a nice spice.

In the middle, a variety of roasted potatoes

And roasted brussels sprouts

Dark chocolate Attune bar for dessert

I’m going to finish watching this movie, then get to bed.

Good Night!

Did you make mixed CDs back in the day? What were your favorite mixes?

1 Hayley @ Running on Pumpkin December 11, 2012 at 11:05 pm

I was alll about the mixed CDs and I definitely went through a phase where I loved all the bands you named. When I was in high school, my friends and I were really into hardcore rap from the Bay Area…yeah. Embarrassing. We would always have parties out in my family’s bonus room and the funny thing is all of the CDs are labeled “MR mix” – but the MR stood for “Media Room”. We called our party room “the MR”. So funny to reminisce about!

2 runinboise December 11, 2012 at 11:33 pm

I have a mix TAPE from a real letter writing PenPal in Canada. The last song on side 2 was Spice Girls. She did that because I really hated them at the time. lol
runinboise recently posted..Two For Tuesday

3 Lindsay December 12, 2012 at 12:33 am

iPods definitely came out the year that movie was released (2001). I got one for Christmas that year and had so much fun playing with it around school as a college freshman.

4 TorontoRunner December 12, 2012 at 3:27 am

oh my gosh, talk about a flashback! I still have SEVERAL of my mixed cd’s around. I’m a hugeeeee music lover!
TorontoRunner recently posted..New York City!!!!!!!!! – Picture Overload

5 Michelle December 12, 2012 at 6:28 am

I remember making mixed CD’s and tapes back in the day. I would listen to the backstreet boys, n’sync… oh those were the days!
Michelle recently posted..Marathon Training Plan

6 Sara @ fitcupcaker December 12, 2012 at 8:12 am

OMG I had so many mixed CD’s! I always titled them “2004 mix” or “Sara’s jams” or something silly! All that food looks so good too btw!
Sara @ fitcupcaker recently posted..Drink Hot Chocolate!

7 Emily N December 12, 2012 at 8:54 am

My high school boyfriend used to make them and give me a copy. They were “Mixmaster Will’s Greatest Hits” which is funny since we called him Billy.
Emily N recently posted..Back to Sorts

8 NYC Fit GIrl December 12, 2012 at 9:24 am

I haven’t watched American Pie in so long! I bet it would be funny to watch again because I could relate to it more!
NYC Fit GIrl recently posted..Not Sick Anymore

9 Abby December 12, 2012 at 9:40 am

Same here! We STILL listen to the NSYNC Christmas album…. what? Its a classic!

10 Karen @ Runner Girl Eats December 12, 2012 at 10:01 am

My best friend used to make me weekly mix cds as a thank you for driving her to school everyday. I love popping them in the cd player and reminiscing. I recently uploaded a bunch of my old mix cds to my iTunes and now workout to Missy Elliot Pass that Dutch and Britney Spears Toxic haha
Karen @ Runner Girl Eats recently posted..The Three Girls: Mean, Gossip and New

11 Karen @ Runner Girl Eats December 12, 2012 at 10:01 am

Karen @ Runner Girl Eats recently posted..The Three Girls: Mean, Gossip and New

12 Natalie @ Free Range Human December 12, 2012 at 10:16 am

I used to make mixed CDs all of the time. It’s fun to go back and listen to some of those songs. I love to find songs that I really liked but I’ve forgotten about!
Natalie @ Free Range Human recently posted..And The List Keeps Getting Longer!

13 Meghan @ After the Ivy League December 12, 2012 at 10:30 am

Great idea to make buffalo turkey burgers! I have some ground turkey in the freezer I need to use up…I was thinking tacos but now I’m thinking burgers. Looks delicious!
Meghan @ After the Ivy League recently posted..WIAW #15: Last Day of Classes